• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

drotahorror

I quit a few hrs into the second beta. I also quit a hr into this beta. This game is so boring. All the classes are copys of past classes in Diablo games. Same skills and everything you find in past games. Devs nowadays are so lazy and have no creativity they just copy and past classes and skills. The Diablo 4 Barb feels the same as the Diablo 3 Barb. I get Whirl Wind is one of the coolest skills ever made but does every game have to have it a main skill. The skills have a cluster of 3 and only a handful of clusters and it stops at level 26 even though max level is 100. The game is so lacking when it comes to skills. Diablo 4 is a game you play for a few weeks and don't come back to until a expansion or big DLC.

This game is all hype from it being Diablo and we only get a Diablo game every 10 years. Streamers and content creators will hype the crap out of the game because the name alone will make them allot of money. In the end everyone can enjoy the honeymoon. I won't be going on a honeymoon that ends in a divorce weeks later.
If a game holds my attention for weeks, it was money well spent. Very few games keep me playing for more than a handful of hours.

nikos

I can't seem to enjoy this game. It's more than likely because I loathe click-to-move and that's made worse by binding attack on the move button. It also just doesn't feel as fun to play as Diablo III or Immortal but that could change with later abilities.

It doesn't make sense to bind move and attack on a single mouse button. That restricts you to either moving or attacking at any given time, can't do both simultaneously. Can't even attack in one direction while moving in another. It also leads to either accidentally moving or accidentally attacking often which makes the game feel more tedious and sloppy.

Controller feels better than the absolutely tedious click-to-do-everything but constantly switching between the controller and mouse/keyboard for different things is annoying. I'd almost never pick up a controller over a mouse but this game's doing that.

WASD movement would solve everything, and it makes no sense to not include it when there's controller support. I was so hyped for this until I actually played it, which is a shame.

Last edited:

ns6

Neo Member
I can't seem to enjoy this game. It's more than likely because I loathe click-to-move and that's made worse by binding attack on the move button. It also just doesn't feel as fun to play as Diablo III or Immortal but that could change with later abilities.

It doesn't make sense to bind move and attack on a single mouse button. That restricts you to either moving or attacking at any given time, can't do both simultaneously. Can't even attack in one direction while moving in another. It also leads to either accidentally moving or accidentally attacking often which makes the game feel more tedious and sloppy.

Controller feels better than the absolutely tedious click-to-do-everything but constantly switching between the controller and mouse/keyboard for different things is annoying. I'd almost never pick up a controller over a mouse but this game's doing that.

WASD movement would solve everything, and it makes no sense to not include it when there's controller support. I was so hyped for this until I actually played it, which is a shame.
Why would you be constantly switching between controller and KBM? It's not like you can do that on console and it's completely playable controller-only over there.

Freeman76

They should have given us a taste of later game stuff in one of these, seems a lot of ppl arent too impressed with it but they obviously dont realise diablo really gets gping once the story is done. This game will be top drawer and what we have seen so far is nothing

Did something happen? Necromancer seems kind of weak, haven’t been following the game much, first time trying the beta.
Having fun with sorcery tho.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Barb still feels pretty underpowered imo. What do you guys think?
Really? I played Barb in the last beta. I was hoping to pick either Barb or Druid to tank in co-op with my spouse. She’s definitely picking Sorceress regardless. I was wanting the best tank. Barb had a large arsenal of weapons, but he didn’t feel all that powerful.

nikos

Why would you be constantly switching between controller and KBM? It's not like you can do that on console and it's completely playable controller-only over there.

Everything is doable on controller, it just feels more intuitive for me to click on things in a UI.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
They should have given us a taste of later game stuff in one of these, seems a lot of ppl arent too impressed with it but they obviously dont realise diablo really gets gping once the story is done. This game will be top drawer and what we have seen so far is nothing
I'm curious what you thinj is going to be top drawer in the later game? I feel like 10 or even 5 years ago this would have been an amazing game but to be honest I've been pretty bored after the first few hours of excitement. I'm keeping my preorder because I want to experience the story but I have a feeling I'll be back to D2R or something in a few weeks/months after launch if I want my Diablo fix.

Kacho

I'm curious what you thinj is going to be top drawer in the later game? I feel like 10 or even 5 years ago this would have been an amazing game but to be honest I've been pretty bored after the first few hours of excitement. I'm keeping my preorder because I want to experience the story but I have a feeling I'll be back to D2R or something in a few weeks/months after launch if I want my Diablo fix.
I’m currently playing Season 4 in D2R and all I can think when I play D4 is how boring it is in comparison. The whole experience is incredibly bland.

Edit: it feels like a cover band version of Diablo

Last edited:

Freeman76

They built a lot of it around endgame activities and events. The levelling process is always a means to an end and thats all we have in this beta.

NT80

So far I'm enjoying this more than the first beta due to the increased difficulty. Level ups and equipment feel more meaningful and I have to be a bit more careful and thoughtful. It's still fairly easy so far though just not the mindlessly boring easy from the first beta.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Went rogue, leveled with the swinging blades, switched to a single target focused rapid fire for Ashava.

Have to say world 1 ashava is a pushover compared to world 2.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
Setup Rogue build for Kor Dragan farm max dodge, max dash, smoke bomb. just run in get the corpses.

edit: also apparently no difference in loot for world tier 1 and world tier 2 for drops.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Necro feels bad this time. Minions die, do little to no damage, and just all around feel pointless. I’m also running out of essence non stop to cast anything.

I’m also getting the feel they decreased damage from player and upped defense on enemies. Not increasing difficulty just increasing combat time it takes.

I’m curious how Druid faired this go around ?

Is Sorc still a power house ?

Friend was playing sorc and it was good.

Laieon

Man, so far the 2 classes I've tried out over this weekend and the 1st beta weekend (Barbarian and Rogue) are the 2 that I was the least interested in playing come launch, and I've really enjoyed playing both of them. Can't wait to see what the classes I'm most interested in actually feel like.

Just need to knock out Ashava now.

I’m currently playing Season 4 in D2R and all I can think when I play D4 is how boring it is in comparison. The whole experience is incredibly bland.

Edit: it feels like a cover band version of Diablo

It's funny how different opinions can be. While I was more than old enough to play D2 back in its hayday, I never did. D3 was my first exposure to the series, and D2R was my first exposure to D2. I didn't enjoy my playthrough of D2R very much, it just feels clunky compared to its modern counterparts. Loved the environment art though.

That being said, I've always preferred more-casual titles in the genre though. Give me D3, Torchlight, and Grim Dawn over D2 and PoE any day of the week.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Got Ashava on 1st attempt on normal with Rogue, stayed between his legs and only died twice while the team was wiped over and over when he'd do his rake. I think I'm done until release.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This go around the rogue and sorc just shine the brightest.

Both are the safest bets for release. Rogue more so because the discussion is always who’s OP or weak which it is never discussed as either .

Ashava 2 times, with multiple teams, none of them could get below the last line of HP. If you use a town portal and get back you will get dropped to a random team each time XD.

Did they playtest the Vhenard fight with melee characters? The flying cunts retreat into the stairs area which is a fucking damage zone!

Poppyseed

Absolutely loving this game but do wish the frame rate were more stable. Even on my beast desktop with RTX 4090 it stutters at times.

Kacho

t's funny how different opinions can be. While I was more than old enough to play D2 back in its hayday, I never did. D3 was my first exposure to the series, and D2R was my first exposure to D2. I didn't enjoy my playthrough of D2R very much, it just feels clunky compared to its modern counterparts. Loved the environment art though.

That being said, I've always preferred more-casual titles in the genre though. Give me D3, Torchlight, and Grim Dawn over D2 and PoE any day of the week.
Diablo 2 is dated in ways but the core loop, gear, and character building are basically perfect. It’s a game that still has me coming back 20 years later. There is a lot you need to learn though, so it’s not beginner friendly at all. I get it.

Diablo 3 was fun for a while after you hit max level. Great gameplay. I think me being down on D4 is because it’ll be similar to D3 in that regard. Early game = snooze fest… late game = engaging. We shall see. This is my third go with the beta and I’m done with the low level garbage time.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is the world boss every hour on the hour ?

This beta confirmed for me to go rogue or sorc on launch. They are balanced correctly .

Kacho

Is the world boss every hour on the hour ?

This beta confirmed for me to go rogue or sorc on launch. They are balanced correctly .
I think it’s every three hours. Last spawn was an hour and forty minutes ago. Next spawn is an hour and twenty minutes from now.

Tried Ashava on Tier 2 earlier and we barely got it down to half HP. Tried it again on Tier 1 and beat it with 5 minutes to spare. And now I can go back to Zelda :)

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Was able to get Ashava tonight with my Barb. Thank God.

Also 100% rolling a Barb for my first seasonal character. The class is unreal once you know how to build it. Crit for 3,085 on Ashava with Death Blow. 😍

marquimvfs

Trying the beta for the first time, playing on the PS4. I've played just a little since yesterday and am only on level 10, but, so far:

-It isn't nearly as fun as Diablo 3 console;
-It have a more serious and darker atmosphere than the colorful Diablo 3 World (can be a pro or a con, depends of the user, I liked it). Graphics are good, tho,
-The "social" aspect of the game is more an annoyance than a real useful feature;
-Framerate is a little compromised on PS4. Enemy animation frames are severely reduced in crowded areas. Game drops frames as hell in city when there is too much players;
-While playing in coop mode, the second player vanishes during scripted scenes. It's a little annoying and I don't know if that happens too on current gen platforms;
-The UI and menus are cluttered to hell. The inventory is a MASSIVE step back compared to consoles Diablo 3, ugly and confusing as fuck;
-The game not pausing while messing in the inventory/map is also an annoyance, but that's expected given the stupid decision of making the always online shift;
-The map completion system is also strange and a litte step back compared to the system used in Diablo 3, where the main map only highlights the areas where you steped on, while in Diablo 4 is a mix of an already highlighted sector of the map with some main places that are hidden but completely highlighted when you discover them;
-The music is a step back comparing to Diablo 3. It's good, but other (and older) entries are better;
-The Brazilian dubbing is worse than Diablo 3. Main characters aren't as good or likeable as the previous entry. It sounded like they hired some cheap USian bad cheap studio (like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted 3) to do the Portuguese dubbing until you reach the city and then you start to hear some familiar voices. The problem is that the npcs acting sounds better than the main characters. It looks like a miscast;
-The dodge mechanics are a step back comparing to Diablo 3 consoles, where you could dodge to any direction while attacking by using the right analog trigger. Maybe it's a parity measure given the cross platform with pc, but it sucks.

With that in mind, it's still Diablo, and it's good. Probably will buy it, and, while its not listed here, the game have it's positive points and could make for some of it's flaws deeper in the game.

Last edited:
The thing that bothered me from watching gameplay was that when entering a new area after a loading screen your character appears 0.5 sec later.
Did they fix that now?

Nobody_Important

-The UI and menus are cluttered to hell. The inventory is a MASSIVE step back compared to consoles Diablo 3, ugly and confusing as fuck;
Did you play Diablo 3 on PC or just console?

Because that inventory system is the exact same as the system that was in place on Diablo 3 PC.

Pfroebbel

I thought they buffed the Barb, but it is still not good enough for me.
I didn‘t manage to beat Vhenard with my Level 20 Barb. With my Level 16 Necro on World Tier 2: no Problem, first try, not even close to Dying. With the Barb i am at at around 15 trys, even tried with different Builds, but Nope, i have no Chance. Playing Diablo 3 is a while ago but i think the Barb had a healing Perk, something like that would be good.

Even on World Tier 1 i have no Chance and i didn‘t eben noticed a difference between WT1 and 2 with the Barb. I don‘t get it

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

I don´t get the Necro. Your Minions die almost instantly in boss encounters, and bosses don´t drop that much flesh so you can´t recast all your minions.

Why would u wan´t to play a Necro with this massive flaw?

Nocturno999

It's still a bit early to say, but I have doubts that this game will have as much replayability as prior Diablos.
I'm also wondering about the length of the game. How many maps there will be in total?

marquimvfs

Yeah I'm sorry and I mean this with no hostility, but your D3 experience was the soft as hell bubble wrap experience.

This is the real Diablo experience.
I've never played D3 on pc, but played 1 and 2 at launch. To me, despite all its flaws (there are many), and the cartoonish look, D3 on consoles were the most fun I've had with games in a long time. Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying the other games were bad, not at all, but, if you've never tried D3 on consoles, do it sometime, you'll know what I'm talking about. The game translated very well to controller, and the co-op aspect was a divine experience.

Nobody_Important

I've never played D3 on pc, but played 1 and 2 at launch. To me, despite all its flaws (there are many), and the cartoonish look, D3 on consoles were the most fun I've had with games in a long time. Don't take me wrong, I'm not saying the other games were bad, not at all, but, if you've never tried D3 on consoles, do it sometime, you'll know what I'm talking about. The game translated very well to controller, and the co-op aspect was a divine experience.
I played the entirety of my D3 experience on console. It was fantastic. I only brought it up because I knew it was not the norm. Console D3 was a magic Dreamland.

I prefer the D4 version of the UI where things are hard and sparing.

Top Bottom