• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

kikkis

I have never played diablo game. Forgot about the beta so downloading bit late.
Eh. I don't think these types of games are for me. Gameplay boiled down to pressing a. Yeah there is skill tree but reading and deciding on which skills to pick up is a chore. Navigating without minimap is slow and using it immersion breaking and annoying.

Eh. I don't think these types of games are for me. Gameplay boiled down to pressing a. Yeah there is skill tree but reading and deciding on which skills to pick up is a chore. Navigating without minimap is slow and using it immersion breaking and annoying.
I ended up feeling like this with Diablo 3. I mean, I love dark fantasy and demons and horror, crumbling ruins, undead. Diablo 1 gave that to me, but I wasn’t really super psyched about loot and everything else, and that’s what it is, though.
Hopefully I won’t buy 4, but I’m already thinking hmmmm looks cool…gah

Bartski

Gold Member
Taking back all I said about barbarian feeling somewhat weak. It's all about the items when you hit cap 20. I just got to the boss in lvl 30 stronghold without major issues and I'm melting regular dungeons, just tanking and destroying everything with 3 defense buffs and frenzy+rend+deathblow. I think I'm done and ready for the full game. I'm starting with the rogue as I still liked it best during the previous beta.

Last edited:

Filben

I could test the PC version of the beta this time (last time I was playing the PS5 version) and noticed slightly better/higher res textures on PC with settings on ultra; although Blizzard recommend 32GB of RAM for a "smooth experience" and had no big issues with 16GB. Maybe a bit more streaming stutter than with textures on high/PS5 equivalent.

I'm glad they included DualSense support which is not granted these days. Also 21:9 support which nice, too.

I was expecting worse performance and micro stutter. But as of now I'm considering the PC version of the PS5 one.

amigastar

I could test the PC version of the beta this time (last time I was playing the PS5 version) and noticed slightly better/higher res textures on PC with settings on ultra; although Blizzard recommend 32GB of RAM for a "smooth experience" and had no big issues with 16GB. Maybe a bit more streaming stutter than with textures on high/PS5 equivalent.

I'm glad they included DualSense support which is not granted these days. Also 21:9 support which nice, too.

I was expecting worse performance and micro stutter. But as of now I'm considering the PC version of the PS5 one.
Do you mean Dualsense Support on the PC or only PS5?

Last edited:

Little Mac

Killed Ashava 5 times the weekend on Series S. 4 times with Sorc and 1 with Rogue. Not sure who I'm going to main if I buy at launch. TBH I can't tell if I am enjoying myself or not. Played 100s of hours of D3 on PC and miss KB+M controls but I'm not going to build another gaming pc in my lifetime. The only game I'd be interested in over this would be FFXVI but it honestly looks like a button masher catered to the younger generation. Plus I'd have to buy a PS5 for it. Waiting for the rumored Sony Showcase on week of the 25th to get an informed decision. Anyone else in my boat?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Killed Ashava 5 times the weekend on Series S. 4 times with Sorc and 1 with Rogue. Not sure who I'm going to main if I buy at launch. TBH I can't tell if I am enjoying myself or not. Played 100s of hours of D3 on PC and miss KB+M controls but I'm not going to build another gaming pc in my lifetime. The only game I'd be interested in over this would be FFXVI but it honestly looks like a button masher catered to the younger generation. Plus I'd have to buy a PS5 for it. Waiting for the rumored Sony Showcase on week of the 25th to get an informed decision. Anyone else in my boat?
I wasn't sure at first if what I was feeling was actually enjoying myself, or just the feel of a new ARPG. I'm enjoying myself.

Will definitely get D4. Will most likely get FF16, but only after I've gotten playing D4 out of my system.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The mount trophy is called Cry of Ashava? lol. That sounds fitting considering some of the despair on display on some other forums. She was hard, but not impossibly so.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The mount trophy is called Cry of Ashava? lol. That sounds fitting considering some of the despair on display on some other forums. She was hard, but not impossibly so.
Agreed!

Thanks Rentahamster Rentahamster and Antwix Antwix . I had a blast playing with you all this weekend.

For folks that have played Diablo in the past, D4 is great fun. I think it is worth your money, the server queues this weekend were completely non-existent for me on the Xbox, PlayStation, and PC Platforms and I restarted my game 500+ times.

On my PC there was no trace of the memory leak from the last beta and the game ran flawlessly at 120+fps on ultra settings at 4k.

Controls on console are really good (some issues/confused implementation when you are playing co-op that can be touched up or refined) and I thoroughly enjoyed playing on both Xbox and PS (got to level 20 on all the platforms over the weekend).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Agreed!

Thanks Rentahamster Rentahamster Rentahamster Rentahamster and @Antwix. I had a blast playing with you all this weekend.
That was great! Always happy to play with others who enjoy grinding it out, farming and testing all kinds of crazy builds, ideas, and strategies. I'll be in there for early access too. Hopefully they have enough data from the past 3 beta tests so that the servers don't die. I still remember Diablo 3's cluster fuck of a launch.

Paulxo87

Necro is so op lol. Bone spear. Blood nova and then corpse explosion that requires nothing to use? You can just spam it lol. And then 5 skeleton to start

Duellist

Damn, was hoping the beta would last till later tonight. Got to fight ashava once on tier 2 then that was it. 15 people and only got her down to half. Transferred over to tier one to try but it was done. Joined the GAF clan though. Just wish I would of done it yesterday lol

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Necro is so op lol. Bone spear. Blood nova and then corpse explosion that requires nothing to use? You can just spam it lol. And then 5 skeleton to start
Just imagine - necro used to be even more OP. My gameplan after the second beta was to roll Necro first since that class is very strong and isn't too gear dependent on items, and then use it to get items for a Barbarian, which I think is going to be pretty strong at endgame. Barbs are a little weak in the beginning, but that's because they're so gear dependant, but with the right items you can faceroll pretty easily.

After playing the server slam, however, I'm not sure anymore. Rogue is crazy good for single target DPS, and sorc is fun to play too. I guess that's a pretty good initial sign of game balance if it's still unclear about what the obvious meta choice is.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Damn, was hoping the beta would last till later tonight. Got to fight ashava once on tier 2 then that was it. 15 people and only got her down to half. Transferred over to tier one to try but it was done. Joined the GAF clan though. Just wish I would of did it yesterday lol
Aww that's too bad. We could have carried you on the last fight!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
That also pushed a server patch last night around 11:00CST that addressed the minion nerf.

So a live service game, it’s third open beta, and they reacted to player feedback within 48 hours of getting said feedback.

I’d say that’s a damn fine job Mr. Ferguson….

Last edited:

Luipadre

That also pushed a server patch last night around 11:00CST that addressed the minion nerf.

So a live service game, it’s third open beta, and they reacted to player feedback within 48 hours of getting said feedback.

I’d say that’s a damn fine job Mr. Ferguson….

tbh this diablo 4 team looks passionate about the game and they also plays the game aswell. Thats not the case with every game.

Duellist

Now to decide if I want to go digital or hard copy lol. I want the physical game but I also want the 4 day early pass.

D7FHHp7.gif

Do you think they adjusted Ashava for the remaining few spawns yesterday? I did the 8PM (12 hours ago) spawn with my brother and she just melted. Had 9 minutes remaining on the clock when she went down. It was only tier 1 and all level 20's but the people that I inspected before the fight were certainly not overgeared with mostly rares and maybe 1 or 2 legendary items. I did a few of the fights yesterday and the earlier ones we had less than 3-4 minutes on the clock. Felt super easy in comparison last night.

Antwix

Just watched that. I'm gonna ramble a bit on my findings.

I tried a few lightning and fire builds. Didn't really try anything with cold. I saw he was considering a firewall build and man, that playstyle just isn't that fun. I know you saw that I was running it for awhile. It's hell for highly mobile enemies and I felt like it lacked that oomph you got back when chain lightning wasn't nerfed. I think I'm going firebolt+fireball+fireball enchant build. It's just so good and so fun. I felt like it was good with single target as well as multiple mobs for farming. You pop a few firebolts (which has some decent damage for a basic skill) to get a couple enemies weakened, then pop a fireball or two and yeah, you watch the enemies explode themselves to death with the fireball enchant. Burning damage is really good which he was saying once you get into the paragons too so if you further capitalize on that with passives/paragon points, it'll be a good build hopefully.

I wasn't impressed with meteor/blizzard/lightning orb in the old beta and almost everything got nerfed so I don't know. I also think making a build around lucky hits is wildly inconsistent. But I suppose we will see. I think there's definitely gonna be some additional builds that pop up when people start to get access to the 2nd enchantment slot.

Exentryk

I gave this a go on pc (using a controller) as my first Diablo game. I only had a couple of hours to play. I wanted to play as a Necromancer, but because I read it was nerfed in this thread, I decided to use a Sorcerer. I completed the first dungeon and first boss and got up to the cutscene where the Mother awakens those villagers. Is the story the same with all class of characters?

Pros:
- Detailed descriptions with values (love this as most games just give vague descriptions like increases damage slightly etc)
- Controller works adequately on PC. The UI is designed mainly for PC mouse usage though.
- RPG aspects and continuous growth feels great. You are always getting drops and increasing in power.
- CG animation is amazing
- The atmosphere

Cons:
- Graphics seem dull.
- NPC characters look low poly and it gives this a cheap game feeling. Even the main character looks like from PS3 gen in those in-game cutscenes.
- The game had various hiccups including one for like 5-10 seconds during the CG scene. Not sure if due to constant internet connection requirement or something?
- Constant Internet Connection requirement. Are all item drops etc server side? Like can we do any mods in these games?

Overall, I feel like I'd enjoy the game but still not 100%. Since I've been reading about nerfs, I'll probably opt out. I enjoy being overpowered.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Beta impression this time for me:

Necro like we all said is nerfed. Just didn’t feel fun.

Sorc. Nerfed but not as bad as Necro. Still not that fun IMO. I do like Hydras and chain lightning though.

Rogue I must suck ass with. Kept trying at level 13 were wolf boss from dungeon and couldn’t do it with any build combo. Looks cool, feels fluid, but I just don’t feel strong at all.

Barbarian was a little buffed as I was clearning quicker Lower level. Still fun and looks like an absolute unit.

Druid felt really good. Arguably the best of this batch for me. I rained down lightning that melted, didn’t take much damage , had wolves out, and just had fun.

Leaning towards Barb as main as I have with all past Diablos. Depending on if they buff Necro again I may go Necro because it has the coolest looking gear. Plus the idea of playing a vampire build with it just sounds so slick.

Didnt they rebuff some of the nerfs for the necro? I think I saw that

Edit: Yep just saw, kind of surprised, is this really blizzard? Dang

Hi all -

The team has just deployed a hotfix for the Diablo IV Server Slam that will be addressing some of the feedback we’ve seen regarding Necromancer pets and their survivability. This is a backend change so users will not need to download a new update. The hotfix will take a few hours to deploy to all users.

Just a reminder, the Server Slam test will be ending at 12:00PM PDT on Sunday. Thanks again to everyone who has logged in over the weekend to help test our servers prior to the launch of Diablo IV.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Trying the beta for the first time, playing on the PS4. I've played just a little since yesterday and am only on level 10, but, so far:

-The "social" aspect of the game is more an annoyance than a real useful feature;
Yeah true, I haven't checked it, but I hope you can disable the multiplayer in the final game. I want to play solo in my first story run.
-Framerate is a little compromised on PS4. Enemy animation frames are severely reduced in crowded areas. Game drops frames as hell in city when there is too much players;
Really? I played on the SeX and it was very smooth and the picture quality was very crisp without any slowdowns. Might want to try and get your hands on a PS5/XB for the final release. I definitely have not experienced any performance issues whatsoever.
-The UI and menus are cluttered to hell. The inventory is a MASSIVE step back compared to consoles Diablo 3, ugly and confusing as fuck;
Biggest complain for me as well. It's still serviceable, but the radial menus in Diablo 3 were so much quicker to navigate with a controller. It's serviceable, I will be able to enjoy the game with the new UI, but I hope they will add the Diablo 3 interface for console players.
-The dodge mechanics are a step back comparing to Diablo 3 consoles, where you could dodge to any direction while attacking by using the right analog trigger. Maybe it's a parity measure given the cross platform with pc, but it sucks.
I think that could be a concious design decision. You can still dodge in all directions if I remember correctly. You have to press B (circle) and hold the left analogue stick in the direction you want to dodge in. There is a cooldown though, but I bet you can reduce that cooldown with the right gear. Everything in this game seems to be scaleable.
With that in mind, it's still Diablo, and it's good. Probably will buy it, and, while its not listed here, the game have it's positive points and could make for some of it's flaws deeper in the game.
I will definitely get it day one. The graphics are super good and the game feels really great to play, much better then any other isometric aRPG I ever played. Besides, Blizzard will probably support this game for years to come, so you definitely get some serious bang for your buck.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just watched that. I'm gonna ramble a bit on my findings.

I tried a few lightning and fire builds. Didn't really try anything with cold. I saw he was considering a firewall build and man, that playstyle just isn't that fun. I know you saw that I was running it for awhile. It's hell for highly mobile enemies and I felt like it lacked that oomph you got back when chain lightning wasn't nerfed. I think I'm going firebolt+fireball+fireball enchant build. It's just so good and so fun. I felt like it was good with single target as well as multiple mobs for farming. You pop a few firebolts (which has some decent damage for a basic skill) to get a couple enemies weakened, then pop a fireball or two and yeah, you watch the enemies explode themselves to death with the fireball enchant. Burning damage is really good which he was saying once you get into the paragons too so if you further capitalize on that with passives/paragon points, it'll be a good build hopefully.

I wasn't impressed with meteor/blizzard/lightning orb in the old beta and almost everything got nerfed so I don't know. I also think making a build around lucky hits is wildly inconsistent. But I suppose we will see. I think there's definitely gonna be some additional builds that pop up when people start to get access to the 2nd enchantment slot.
Yup, I saw your firewall spec. It seemed to perform well enough, but personally I prefer a more active gameplay as sorc. The fire stuff seems good and I agree with Kripp's reasoning about the effectiveness of burning scaling into the end game.

What I'm no sure if is how well the fireball enchantment will scale. On the tooltip it says just says weapon damage, but if Diablo 3 has taught me anything, effects that only have "weapon damage" but no other descriptor don't scale well.

Agreed about lucky hits. My character that cleared inferno Diablo 3 was a wizard that revolved around prices, but one day Blizzard nerfed procs across the board and my build was useless overnight.

I'm going to try to incorporate them, but not rely on them too much.

Reallink

I gave this a go on pc (using a controller) as my first Diablo game. I only had a couple of hours to play. I wanted to play as a Necromancer, but because I read it was nerfed in this thread, I decided to use a Sorcerer. I completed the first dungeon and first boss and got up to the cutscene where the Mother awakens those villagers. Is the story the same with all class of characters?

Cons:
- Graphics seem dull.
- NPC characters look low poly and it gives this a cheap game feeling. Even the main character looks like from PS3 gen in those in-game cutscenes.

Cause it was designed from the ground up to run on potatoes. The 1050Ti (a 2TF card) manages to run most scenes at like 50fps on 1080p High.

Top Bottom