• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 GAF Meetup Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Oh dear god, Teddman told me about what folder did the other night.

Is that guy banned 4 life yet?

ga_lunch_2k5_8.jpg

Can we get a full accurate listing of the folks in this pic, both for those who weren't there and for those who were? I didn't know some of them. I can help start the list off, though:

Back row, left to right: Kiriku, Marty Chinn, KobunHeat, Brandonnn, AgentDormer, bobbyconover, iJoel (I think??), Wellington, Teddman, ?, ?, ?, BuddyC, ?, Efralope

Front row, left to right: ?, Meier, sp0rks

Help me fill the rest in? thanks!

demi

bobbyconover said:
Back row, left to right: Kiriku, Marty Chinn, KobunHeat, Brandonnn, AgentDormer, bobbyconover, don't think it's iJoel, Wellington, Teddman, OLUBODE!!!!1, Link, Espio, BuddyC, ?, Efralope (Alcibades)

Front row, left to right: ?, Meier, sp0rks

Help me fill the rest in? thanks!

Priz

I was at the Mega64 DVD/Something Awful forum gathering at the UBI Soft booth at noon, waiting in line for a dvd with their "E3 1975 Documentary" and other exclusives on it. :)

I came just after 1 and everyone was gone. I thought you guys were going to "Stay Late"! WTF?

I'll be there for lunch again today wearing a Queensryche shirt. Hopefully if Bobby Conover sees this... maybe I can still meet some people. :)

(I did meet David Dayton asking me about the forum gathering at the Atlus Puyo Fever contest after 1 as well as the Wayans Brother (in that lunch room press conference area). Going to be hooking Keenan Ivory Wayans with some HK films and some British stuff since we're both big fans.)

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I'm between BuddyC and Efralope in the right back row there, slouchin.

Gazunta

I wasn't there, but I just wanna say a quick thanks to everyone on GAF who has popped by the Krome Studios booth (Right near the Fatal1ty booth folks! Come by tomorow and get the GAF freebie!) to say hi or check out our orange rat game. Sorry I couldn't make it to any of the meets, but it's all good. I'm enjoying pimping the game to everyone who walks by :)

ps: SEND HELP OR NINTENDO FREEBIES KTHXBYE

Dilbert

I just got in from a night of drinking with some of the GAF crew. I met up with olubode, Link, WasabiKing, and Wellington around 8 PM for some tasty Japanese food, and then we headed over to The Standard for some drinks with some other GAF folks: bishoptl (+ special friend), Willco (+ friend), and BuddyC. I had a blast...although shouting over the music has pretty much guaranteed that my voice will be fried tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who bought rounds or threw in money towards the tab!

At the risk of being effusive, everyone I met was REALLY cool. I'm just bummed that everyone converges on Los Angeles only once a year for E3 -- it would be cool to get together on other occasions. Although I know a lot of people bitch about the mods/admins here, I think the board is in good hands -- there are some damn cool people running the show.

And with that...I need to get my formerly drunk ass to bed to get four hours of sleep before waking up to go to an all-day program management course tomorrow. I have a funny feeling that lesson #1 is "don't stay out all night drinking when you have obligations the next morning," but I couldn't care less at this point. I had fun, and that's what counts!

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Weird. I heard (from Folder):

A - Some people showed on Monday, others showed on Wednesday
B - Rob from Nintendo didn't show to pick up the tab as promised (I know this was not a lie, for I also am acquainted with Rob)
C - Buddy C picked up the tab with his credit card
D - He confronted Folder the next day, in an aggressive/rude way to get money off him for the evening, as he was part responsible for setting the drinks meet up with Buddy C
E - Folder told him where to stick it (not so much because of the money, but because of Buudy C's approach)

This, I believe, is Folder's side of the story.

Also, the Sony party was awesome. I got completely owned by Camp Freddy.

Matlock

Banned
You know, I'd be pissed too if some guy's promise fell through and wound me down with $300 in debt. :p

Can't blame Buddy at all on this one.

xsarien

daedsiluap
boutrosinit said:
Weird. I heard (from Folder):

A - Some people showed on Monday, others showed on Wednesday
B - Rob from Nintendo didn't show to pick up the tab as promised (I know this was not a lie, for I also am acquainted with Rob)
C - Buddy C picked up the tab with his credit card
D - He confronted Folder the next day, in an aggressive/rude way to get money off him for the evening, as he was part responsible for setting the drinks meet up with Buddy C
E - Folder told him where to stick it (not so much because of the money, but because of Buudy C's approach)

This, I believe, is Folder's side of the story.

Considering this was Folder's plan, BuddyC had every right to be "rude." You don't blow off someone who's covering your ass. Tell me, what is a polite way to say, "Hey, dick. You and your friend stuck me with a $300 bar bill last night. Exactly how many ways are there to interpret 'Rob from Nintendo will be there to cover the tab'?"

Dilbert

boutrosinit said:
What a tool. Quite frankly, after being stiffed that badly, he's lucky that BuddyC didn't punch him in the face. Also, having met Buddy, I'd be stunned if that is even a factually accurate account -- he doesn't strike me as the aggressive Type A personality type.

The bottom line is that Folder proposed the event, the night, and the location, used this board to advertise the event, and promised free drinks. He has an obligation to deliver, and "attitude" isn't relevant.

boutrosinit

I believe there was confusion on the date. He thought it was Monday. I don't think he saw the change on the forum which was Wednesday. So some people showed up Monday, some on Wednesday.

Rob was definitely intending on showing up. I don't know why he didn't. No idea. I don't think Folder should be blamed for that. Rob even mentioned it to me on the phone once before E3, so I know it wasn't BS. I know Folder very well. It's no secret he's a good friend of mine. He would definitely NOT stiff folk like that.

Matlock

Banned
boutrosinit said:
I believe there was confusion on the date. He thought it was Monday. I don't think he saw the change on the forum which was Wednesday. So some people showed up Monday, some on Wednesday.

BuddyC said:
The Pre-E3 GAF Meet (as organized by Folder and sponsored by Nintendo)

When: Monday, May 16th, 8:30 PM
to late (the bar closes at midnight), so be sure to stop by after More Friends and the MS Press Conference/Party.

Where: The Cabo Cantina located on Sunset Strip, just up from The Standard and across the street from The Body Shop.

Remember: The drinks are free because Folder and Nintendo love you. And it's a bar, so if your ID doesn't show you as 21, at best, it might not matter, at worst, you might not get in.

The Traditional E3 Meet

When: Wednesday, May 18th,
12:00 PM to 1:00 PM or so.

What, inconsistent stories? NOOOOOOO

boutrosinit said:
Rob was definitely intending on showing up. I don't know why he didn't. No idea. I don't think Folder should be blamed for that. Rob even mentioned it to me on the phone once before E3, so I know it wasn't BS. I know Folder very well. It's no secret he's a good friend of mine. He would definitely NOT stiff folk like that.

So why hasn't he apologized, or at least tried to explain himself on here yet?

Seriously, I don't think anyone is buying it. The guy was seen as a bit of a flakey asshole to begin with, and had a great chance to redeem himself. He blew it, big time.

boutrosinit

bobbyconover said:
So why hasn't he apologized, or at least tried to explain himself on here yet?

Seriously, I don't think anyone is buying it. The guy was seen as a bit of a flakey asshole to begin with, and had a great chance to redeem himself. He blew it, big time.

1 - Folder thinks he's banned.

2 - Rob doesn't post on this forum. Though he does read it.

Rorschach

boutrosinit said:
Weird. I heard (from Folder)
More rumors and speculation...just what you'd expect from sp0ng!!

BuddyC doesn't strike me as the type, but if he was the kind of guy that would get all up in Folder's grill, I would think he would be the type to kick Folder's ass after being told "where to stick it."

Teddman

I happened to come across Buddy right after he encountered Folder at the Nintendo press conference... Buddy said he had simply asked him what happened, explained he tried to make the best of it by opening a tab, showed Folder the receipt, then asked whether his Nintendo contact could help pick up the bill.

According to him, Folder was very apologetic and explained that he got caught up at the Microsoft post-conference party. He never made it to the Cabo Cantina, but his Nintendo contact did indeed stop by at 10:30pm and "he didn't see anyone there." Odd because by that time we were basically running the place... Folder said he'd see what he could do and that's still where it stood when I saw Buddy outside Kentia Hall during the final moments of E3 today.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Meh at all the people making fun of me (cept demi). To everyone else, I met, we had a blast!

boutrosinit

Teddman said:
I happened to come across Buddy right after he encountered Folder at the Nintendo press conference... Buddy said he had simply asked him what happened, explained he tried to make the best of it by opening a tab, showed Folder the receipt, then asked whether his Nintendo contact could help pick up the bill.

According to him, Folder was very apologetic and explained that he got caught up at the Microsoft post-conference party. He never made it to the Cabo Cantina, but his Nintendo contact did indeed stop by at 10:30pm and "he didn't see anyone there." Odd because by that time we were basically running the place... Folder said he'd see what he could do and that's still where it stood when I saw Buddy outside Kentia Hall during the final moments of E3 today.

I hope this is the case. Last I saw Folder was on Tuesday or Wednesday I believe.

My god! I forgot all about Kentia hall! Anything of interest there perchance?

BuddyC

boutrosinit said:
I hope this is the case. Last I saw Folder was on Tuesday or Wednesday I believe.
As I told Stef Tuesday morning, I unbanned him as soon as I got back to the hotel.

bishoptl said:
my head hurts

bahaha, sucka! Seriously, thanks for the Jager shots, and if you need a little more for that tab, HOLLA AT YO BOY.

And an awesome thanks to the 21 and over kids who decided to come out and play at The Standard and dinner. Olubode shared his wonderous knowledge about marriage, jinx shared great stories from his current place of employment, Link shared an old tryst with a Dolphins cheerleader, and Wellington was once again bitchslapped by my drinking prowess. Also, it was good to see BuddyC, and Willco and compadre stop on in and drink with all of us. Maybe next year we can make it bigger, eh?

Can't forget a big thank you to chespace for the invite to the Ziff Davis party, as I would not have run into johntv, Andrew Pfister, Teddman and compadre, and most importantly, the hot bartender on the left side of the bar. :D Oh, and finally, running into Agent Dormer and Meier!

Since E3 is no longer about the games to me, there were some great places to drink, and reasons why my wallet is a bit lighter until next payday.

Teddman

E3_ZD_Intel_party_1.jpg

The Ziff Davis / Intel E3 Party took place Wednesday night at the Hotel Figueroa,
conveniently located only two blocks from the L.A. Convention Center.

E3_ZD_Intel_party_2.jpg

The "Hotel Fig" features cool Middle Eastern style decor. The entrance to the Intel Party was on the left, Ziff Davis on the right.

E3_ZD_Intel_party_3.jpg

The view from the Intel party side out across the pool. A DJ was spinning tunes off camera to the right.

E3_ZD_Intel_party_4.jpg

Intel was showing off some of the latest Centrino-powered laptops at "Rick's Place," (bar on far side of the hotel pool) running Doom 3 networked.

E3_ZD_Intel_party_6.jpg

Wasn't long before I ran into Gaming-Age's Wellington and Wasabiking. Doublefistin' it!
I mean, we're uh, getting some extra drinks for our buddies...

E3_ZD_Intel_party_7.jpg

The place started to fill up after an hour or so... Trying to make it around that pool
after a few cocktails while also staying dry could be a dicey proposition.

E3_ZD_Intel_party_8.jpg

Caught up with Bahn of TNL/Got-Next and Andrew Pfister later on.

E3_ZD_Intel_party_9.jpg

JohnTV from GA, Che from 1up, (Chespace at GA), and a friend of theirs.

eXxy and a few other forum folks were also in the house, and BuddyC &Link were drinking in the hotel bar (out in the lobby) but were never able to make it past the velvet rope into the party.

All in all it made for a great night, and one helluva rough early morning at E3 the next day.

EDIT: P.S. The o p a a g e s filter sucks.

Matlock

Banned
imageshack thumbs to the rescue

The Ziff Davis / Intel E3 Party took place Wednesday night at the Hotel Figueroa,

The "Hotel Fig" features cool Middle Eastern style decor. The entrance to the Intel Party was on the left, Ziff Davis on the right.

The view from the Intel party side out across the pool. A DJ was spinning tunes off camera to the right.

Intel was showing off some of the latest Centrino-powered laptops at "Rick's Place," (bar on far side of the hotel pool) running Doom 3 networked.

Wasn't long before I ran into Gaming-Age's Wellington and Wasabiking. Doublefistin' it!

The place started to fill up after an hour or so... Trying to make it around that pool

JohnTV from GA, Che from 1up, (Chespace at GA), and a friend of theirs.[/center]

El Papa

Teddman said:

What? He didn't see anyone there? We had already taken over the place by 10. That's weak. Did Buddy get his tab covered?

boutrosinit

Matlock said:
imageshack thumbs to the rescue

JohnTV from GA, Che from 1up, (Chespace at GA), and a friend of theirs.[/center]

I think I met you at some point. You look very familiar. I either got introduced to you briefly through friends, perhaps you were with KobunHeat or Jason at some point. Hmmm... Damn memory...

Future Trunks

lemme tell you something son, this guy is SO FARKING HUGE HE'LL FLEX AND DESTROY THE SUN no shit
FUture trunks stopped working out.

:lol

I'm going to E3 next year now! Unveiling of Rev., meeting GA peeps, taking item #4 off my list of "things to do before I die...."

DM! Pestul! Saddle up! We're heading West(er)!

Can someone help a guy get into E3 with a pass? You have a year to wiggle me in somehow! working for the government doesn't count, does it? :lol Help a guy get a hotel room and teach me the do's and don'ts of getting around too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom