• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2019/2020 |OT| Does Your Team Got What It Takes To Be Crowned?

Melfice7

how do you see Porto doing next season by the way?

Domestically.. poorly, they have financial problems and gonna have to sell alot of promising youngsters, meanwhile Benfica signed a coach who gets shit done and is already spending 100M+ in new players

On the Champions League... Depends on the group i guess but im not confident

I don't know if there are any Leeds fans here (not "neutrals who like Leeds/Bielsa", I'm talking real hardcore Leeds fans), but fuck me they've become by far the worst football fan base I've ever interacted with on the internet ever since they went on that good run of form last season, which saw them win promotion back to the Premier League. They seem to think they're some sort of heaven-sent team that everyone should adore because they play the greatest football ever saw by human eyes. I mean, Wolves, Rovers (Blackburn), and even fucking Huddersfield have the same league titles as them and they're not even close to being as fucking arrogant and conceited as they are.

Lately it's been especially shite thanks to this lad named Ben White, who apparently is a great CB and was instrumental in Leeds gettin back to the PL. The thing is, he was on loan from Brighton and they (rightly so) don't want to sell him permanently to them, especially considering how they could be reinforcing a relegation rival if things go south for Brighton again this season. Well, don't you dare say any of this to a Leeds fan, because they'll go on about how they are infinitely better than Brighton and have zero chance of going back to the Championship, or about how anyone would chose them over any lower table team because they're a bigger and better club, because every player in the planet would kill to play for them under Bielsa, and so on.

I mean, lol, where the hell did his attitude come from? Have they always been such insufferable pieces of crap? I'm a relative young United fan, as I've followed the PL since just 2005-2006, so I never really got to interact with them before they went down to the Championship, but damn, everyone hates the shite out of them and they still seem to be so stubborn about their unrecognized greatness and how they're destined to challenge for Europe and stuff. Well, I just hope they go down ASAP so we can have another 15 years of peace or so.

Dark Rider

Domestically.. poorly, they have financial problems and gonna have to sell alot of promising youngsters, meanwhile Benfica signed a coach who gets shit done and is already spending 100M+ in new players

On the Champions League... Depends on the group i guess but im not confident

So my impressions were accurate, it's tough but you play your cards right you can be back in a season or two.

If you watch it do a review here please.

I don't know if there are any Leeds fans here (not "neutrals who like Leeds/Bielsa", I'm talking real hardcore Leeds fans), but fuck me they've become by far the worst football fan base I've ever interacted with on the internet ever since they went on that good run of form last season, which saw them win promotion back to the Premier League. They seem to think they're some sort of heaven-sent team that everyone should adore because they play the greatest football ever saw by human eyes. I mean, Wolves, Rovers (Blackburn), and even fucking Huddersfield have the same league titles as them and they're not even close to being as fucking arrogant and conceited as they are.

Lately it's been especially shite thanks to this lad named Ben White, who apparently is a great CB and was instrumental in Leeds gettin back to the PL. The thing is, he was on loan from Brighton and they (rightly so) don't want to sell him permanently to them, especially considering how they could be reinforcing a relegation rival if things go south for Brighton again this season. Well, don't you dare say any of this to a Leeds fan, because they'll go on about how they are infinitely better than Brighton and have zero chance of going back to the Championship, or about how anyone would chose them over any lower table team because they're a bigger and better club, because every player in the planet would kill to play for them under Bielsa, and so on.

I mean, lol, where the hell did his attitude come from? Have they always been such insufferable pieces of crap? I'm a relative young United fan, as I've followed the PL since just 2005-2006, so I never really got to interact with them before they went down to the Championship, but damn, everyone hates the shite out of them and they still seem to be so stubborn about their unrecognized greatness and how they're destined to challenge for Europe and stuff. Well, I just hope they go down ASAP so we can have another 15 years of peace or so.

There is bad blood between Manchester United fans and Leeds United fans and I'm surprised that you as a Manchester United fan unaware of it but you will really feel it once you two play each other :messenger_beaming:

DKehoe

To a lot of United fans Leeds are the bigger rival than City. Not as big as Liverpool of course but traditionally Leeds are a big one.

There is bad blood between Manchester United fans and Leeds United fans and I'm surprised that you as a Manchester United fan unaware of it but you will really feel it once you two play each other :messenger_beaming:
Obviously I am aware of my club's rivalries....like I wrote, they haven't been part of the first division for the time that I've followed the PL, so I hadn't really thought much of them until recently. And they certainly leave a pretty bad first impression.

To a lot of United fans Leeds are the bigger rival than City. Not as big as Liverpool of course but traditionally Leeds are a big one.
Aye, City can keep winning the odd PL title and being consistently top 3, but lots of people will dismiss their accomplishments because of their oil money. Honestly I would've loved to have been around as a football fan back in the '90s, that would've been awesome.

Last edited:

Prison Mike

Banned
Obviously I am aware of my club's rivalries....like I wrote, they haven't been part of the first division for the time that I've followed the PL, so I hadn't really thought much of them until recently. And they certainly leave a pretty bad first impression.

Aye, City can keep winning the odd PL title and being consistently top 3, but lots of people will dismiss their accomplishments because of their oil money. Honestly I would've loved to have been around as a football fan back in the '90s, that would've been awesome.
How did you exactly expect us to go from let's be honest a poor team to challenge for the title.... I love when fans dismiss us as we have rich owners how does that lemon taste?

DKehoe

I guess younger United fans will view City as a rival because of their success. But for older United fans Liverpool and Leeds still take precedence. Last season when it was clear either City or Liverpool would win the title there was a lot of talk in the media about how it was an impossible choice for United fans as to who they would prefer win. But for almost every one it was an easy choice of preferring City to win over Liverpool.

The Liverpool rivalry is an odd one in the sense that, at least in recent history, the two haven't really been on equal footing that often. While I've been a fan,United dominated most of that time and have then had their post-Ferguson fall off and there's now Liverpool's ascendancy. A rivalry is at its best when the stakes are highest. It's why the run I most enjoyed was United vs Arsenal, particularly in the early 2000s. Ferguson vs Wenger, Keane vs Viera, van Nistelrooy vs Keown. The two best teams in the country going against each other for the title and genuine animosity there. Mundial's podcast Giant had a podcast episode on it that I recommend checking out.

Also, talking of United themed podcasts, check out Roy Keane Versus. It's a twelve part series all about Keane's career.

How did you exactly expect us to go from let's be honest a poor team to challenge for the title.... I love when fans dismiss us as we have rich owners how does that lemon taste?
lmao, you can't be serious -- what lemon? Are you saying we should be jealous of having spent over 500m eur on defenders + having a world class coach in Pep and still being unable to get past the CL RO16? Take a walk.

I guess younger United fans will view City as a rival because of their success. But for older United fans Liverpool and Leeds still take precedence. Last season when it was clear either City or Liverpool would win the title there was a lot of talk in the media about how it was an impossible choice for United fans as to who they would prefer win. But for almost every one it was an easy choice of preferring City to win over Liverpool.

The Liverpool rivalry is an odd one in the sense that, at least in recent history, the two haven't really been on equal footing that often. While I've been a fan,United dominated most of that time and have then had their post-Ferguson fall off and there's now Liverpool's ascendancy. A rivalry is at its best when the stakes are highest. It's why the run I most enjoyed was United vs Arsenal, particularly in the early 2000s. Ferguson vs Wenger, Keane vs Viera, van Nistelrooy vs Keown. The two best teams in the country going against each other for the title and genuine animosity there. Mundial's podcast Giant had a podcast episode on it that I recommend checking out.

Also, talking of United themed podcasts, check out Roy Keane Versus. It's a twelve part series all about Keane's career.

Yeah, the Arsenal rivalry was mad! And thanks mate, I'm going to check those podcasts. I only watched like half a season with Keane still in the squad, so all I know about anything before that is thanks to articles I've read and stuff like that.

Prison Mike

Banned
lmao, you can't be serious -- what lemon? Are you saying we should be jealous of having spent over 500m eur on defenders + having a world class coach in Pep and still being unable to get past the CL RO16? Take a walk.

Yeah, the Arsenal rivalry was mad! And thanks mate, I'm going to check those podcasts. I only watched like half a season with Keane still in the squad, so all I know about anything before that is thanks to articles I've read and stuff like that.
Mate I agree we have over spent left right and centre

DKehoe

City have undoubtedly been more successful than United in recent years. And United have very arguably been even more wasteful with their money during that time. There's stuff you can criticise them for other than that, like being a PR exercise for human rights abusers.

No worries! The Keane one is done by an Irish guy who is a mega fan of his. Each episode (along with a couple two parters) gets into a different topic. It covers a nice range of subjects and so would be ideal if you aren't that familiar with him but want to learn more. Keane is a fascinating guy. I think people these days tend to think he was just an enforcer who ran around putting in reducer tackles. But he was so much more than that, both technically and psychologically.

Dark Rider

Sevilla are UEL champions :messenger_beaming:

I was surprised people thought they would not score goals :pie_thinking:
And I have no idea why people would still underestimate them despite how many times they won it in recent years :messenger_tears_of_joy:
doesn't matter who you are Sevilla in UEL is there to beat you.

Sevilla are UEL champions :messenger_beaming:

I was surprised people thought they would not score goals :pie_thinking:
And I have no idea why people would still underestimate them despite how many times they won it in recent years :messenger_tears_of_joy:
doesn't matter who you are Sevilla in UEL is there to beat you.

Us Liverpool fans will never forget the "Alberto Moreno game". The "Loris Karius game" kind of took some mainstream luster out of that, but let there be no mistake Moreno sucked BALLS against Sevilla.

Dark Rider

Harry Maguire arrested in Mykonos island.

EDIT: to be clear he also attacked police officers :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

Dark Rider

He was unbelievably atrocious. TAA rightfully gets all the attention for being a superstar, but Moreno made sure we appreciate Robbo a lot as well lol.

You can't blame it on him for drawing with them in UCL after that final though :messenger_beaming:
Underestimating La Liga clubs (outside of the trio) in Europe is a mistake many make every season.

Last edited:
You can blame it on him for drawing with them in UCL after that final though :messenger_beaming:
Underestimating La Liga clubs (outside of the trio) in Europe is a mistake many make every season.

True that, La Liga teams always shine on the continental stage. Makes the Atletico choke job even weirder.

Dark Rider

True that, La Liga teams always shine on the continental stage. Makes the Atletico choke job even weirder.

They are very good domestically too but the trio dominance fool many to think they are sub-bar, anyone who actually sit down and watch La Liga (not just the trio) can see they play quality football in terms of technique, organization and tactically and strategically good.
About Atlético it happens especially when they are in a rebuild phase with trouble in the attack/forward area.

Dark Rider

Simon Stone: "The club is aware of an alleged incident involving Harry Maguire in Mykonos last night. Contact has been made with Harry, and he is fully co-operating with the Greek authorities. At this time we will be making no further comment."

I don't think it will help much after he already attacked police officers.

EDIT:
Harry Maguire attempted to escape by running away from the Greek officers as he shouted and cursed at them.

Not going to help his case at all.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Spanish clubs have won the last 15 finals they played against non-Spanish clubs.

After the UEL final against Inter it is 16 now :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Dark Rider

Harry Maguire is one of three arrested by the Mykonos Police Dept. Statement: 'A case file was opened against the trio for the occasional offenses of violence against officials - court officials, disobedience, bodily harm, insult and attempted bribery of an employee.'

This is really bad but I'm confident that an Ed masterclass in handling this situation incoming.

They are very good domestically too but the trio dominance fool many to think they are sub-bar, anyone who actually sit down and watch La Liga (not just the trio) can see they play quality football in terms of technique, organization and tactically and strategically good.
About Atlético it happens especially when they are in a rebuild phase with trouble in the attack/forward area.

Not following that closely, is Simeone going to be the one to see the rebuild through? Is he even the right guy to do that?

Dark Rider

After Matuidi deal with Inter Miami completed for free, Juventus have decided also to terminate contracts of Higuain and Khedira. They're out of the Pirlo project. Talks on to find an agreement on the payout (both have still 1 year contract left with Juve).

Prison Mike

Banned
Harry Maguire is one of three arrested by the Mykonos Police Dept. Statement: 'A case file was opened against the trio for the occasional offenses of violence against officials - court officials, disobedience, bodily harm, insult and attempted bribery of an employee.'

This is really bad but I'm confident that an Ed masterclass in handling this situation incoming.

Harry couldn't even out run drunk Greek cops lol

I don't think he was scared

He played more defensively than usual as we didn't stick to the old plan because Lyon had us over last time, and I believe we didn't even play that badly last time, so he changed Tactics.

Either way, I look forward to tonight! I honestly want Bayern to win.

dotdot

Neo Member
I honestly can't predict who'll win. There should be plenty of goals, though. Flick and Tuchel will both definitely set up to attack; don't see either of them backing down.

Top Bottom