• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play a Game of Telltale you win or break it

My choices and a few thoughts:

I didn't bother trying to stab Ramsey since he's still alive in the show.

-I executed the shit out of Bloodsong. When in Rome...

-I begrudgingly told Tyrion the truth.

-I showed mercy to Ser Royland only because I wanted to know Ludd's plans.

-After what Ser Royland said to me about why he betrayed the house, how much Asher should have been the lord to lead the house, etc....I chose to leave Rodrik behind. I found it to be the far more tragic choice and it made sense to me to have him sacrifice himself for Asher. Rodrik is too weak to take on the Whitehills. Asher has the respect of the pit fighters, and when he gets back home I can have him (hopefully) swiftly execute Ser Royland.

-I totally got to give Elaena some true Ironwood. Maybe she'll end up pregnant and not dead. It would be a nice touch to have Rodrik live on to an extent.

I did find it a total cop out that the traitor ended up being whomever you didn't choose as your sentinel though.

Interesting
I let Bloodsong live and Asher made a epic speech after that about why now the pit fighters should kill for different reason not just sport but to kill only scums and for justice. Bloodsong is kinda happy later on and joined me. I gladly executed Royland so at least Rodrik died after killing the traitor. The ambush was to kill Asher so at least Rodrik got to save him. I don`t think you will get a chance to kill Royland again.

Interesting
I let Bloodsong live and Asher made a epic speech after that about why now the pit fighters should kill for different reason not just sport but to kill only scums and for justice. Bloodsong is kinda happy later on and joined me. I gladly executed Royland so at least Rodrik died after killing the traitor. The ambush was to kill Asher so at least Rodrik got to save him. I don`t think you will get a chance to kill Royland again.

So are there different ways that Bloodsong will react to you if you decide to spare him? I was just curious because there's a video I watched on a guy that chose to spare him, and Bloodsong seemed kind of pissed that you didn't give him a glorious death.

Still, no regrets.

So are there different ways that Bloodsong will react to you if you decide to spare him? I was just curious because there's a video I watched on a guy that chose to spare him, and Bloodsong seemed kind of pissed that you didn't give him a glorious death.

Still, no regrets.

I think there is just one way, he did not look pissed to me though, considering that he was smiling as he saw me. When i said good to see you he just said "Where will i go since you denied me an honorable death" either way does not hurt to have a ninja on my team lol

I am totally with you on the no regrets part because on Mira`s side i have no idea what i am doing. Told Tyrion the truth and do not regret it and Mira will probably be killed because of it.

That is what makes it fun though, different experiences

TheFatMan

Pretty good episode, and that ending!

My choices (ps did anyone notice there is no choices screen for this episode at the end. I felt that was odd).

I killed Bloodsong. Fuck that guy.

Duncan was my traitor, not Royland, probably because I choose Royland as my Sentinel at the start. I stabbed his ass through the chest despite his saying he could save Asher.

I chose to save Asher at the end because I just knew the pit fighters wouldn't listen to gimpy Roderick. Plus Asher is a bd ass right?

Ok-ish episode. The ending was heartbreaking tho.

Some very "forced" situations that I didn't enjoy at all.

Either way, choices:
1) Didnt stab Ramsey. He is alive at the show. There's no way I'd be able to kill him.

2) Didnt kill Bloodsong. Intead said we dont kill people for fun, we just beat the crap out of them so they know who's in charge.

3) Tried to lie to tyrion. He found out.

4) Duncan was my traitor. this feels weird because I was 99% sure I picked him as my sentinel. Turns out I didn't. And yes I killed that traitor. I was already fighting an uphill battle and this asshole basically made it a lot harder.

5) Rodrik sacrificed himself in the end. No. I refurse to say that i choose him to die. He sacrificed himself. that's it.

ascully

Pretty good episode, and that ending!

My choices (ps did anyone notice there is no choices screen for this episode at the end. I felt that was odd).

I killed Bloodsong. Fuck that guy.

Duncan was my traitor, not Royland, probably because I choose Royland as my Sentinel at the start. I stabbed his ass through the chest despite his saying he could save Asher.

I chose to save Asher at the end because I just knew the pit fighters wouldn't listen to gimpy Roderick. Plus Asher is a bd ass right?

Mine had the choices screen at the end PS4 version.

Tuffty

Oh boy. I liked the episode overall, that ending hit really hard but there sure were problems.

I chose Royland as Sentinel so Duncan was the traitor. I was really hoping it was the Maester, it made more sense as he was the outsider to the family. I was hoping beyond hope that they wouldn't just choose whoever you didn't pick as Sentinel and well...fuck, they did it. I was worrying because as I expected Duncan's logic makes zero sense whatsoever. He thought Rodrik was being reckless and putting the house in danger...but then he goes and puts the house in more danger himself by acting the spy giving us more of an uphill battle to fight. He risks the ruination of the house because I didn't kiss Whitehill's ring? He's reciting all the terrible things I've done when he was there to see how it all turned out and knows what had to have been done, the compromises that had to be made. He even said he followed Rodrik's father but not him and how he wished Rodrik hadn't got out of the corpse cart. Had no qualms in killing him, easiest decision of the game so far or in any Telltale game. It's the biggest heel turn in any game I've seen and just completely stupid.

Also stupid was the fact that despite learning that the Whitehills are setting a trap for Asher, you've no choice as they walk into the trap. They didn't immediately think "Fuck, there's a big gate here, I'll maybe send a few guards to retrieve Asher rather than let me, the lord of the house, walk in with my best guards"I left Rodrik behind. Asher's fitter and stronger and the pit fighters will follow him. And he's more entertaining. Hard choice though as I liked both. It would have been more effective if, for example, knowing what you know about the trap around Asher to then make the choice of whether or not you go make the risk of saving him or not at all, the decision of which determines whether Rodrik or Asher dies. Or even have the revelation told and realise there's nothing that can be done as you then watch Asher get his.

Bit disappointed in the KL landing storyline. It might be just me but I feel like I'm not so much 'playing the game' as running around saying random things to everyone. For me Mira's in a terrible position with no friends at all other than the coalboy and whoever he's working for. I don't see how she's going to survive the next episode. Same with Gared. Can't see the Forresters are going to survive unless the White Grove has a giant ice dragon.

Chaos17

1) So whatever who we choose as sentinel the game will make the other one the spy ? That's just lame

2) I'm starting to think that Mira has not point in the story beside just letting us see some cameo. Too bad, I like her part, that was interesting.

3) Some characters has a thick plot armor, that's getting annoying.

4) I let Asher die, it didn't fit quite well, I could feel Roderik wanting to save Asher instead but I didn't want to go to waste all the effort that Roderick made.

Overall, that episode was disapointing for me, I prefered previous ep because we were making some progress but now, we're stuck in the mud again.

Roussow

In the middle of episode 3 now, I feel like I just keep making two steps forward, two steps back -- not fully committing to helping the Family, and not fully committed to letting the characters be independent and not risking there own lives, but still everyone's getting pissed at the player characters. I wonder if I should just fully commit to one way of thinking -- or just play it out, play the choices as they come and suffer or reap the consequences, just letting shit play out seem's like the best way to play a Telltale game.

Calcium

Banned
Ugh, the further the game gets to the finish line the more the illusion of choice vanishes. I'm still enjoying the game, though. I enjoyed the
Asher and Rodrik
stories the most so that final scene was rough.
I wanted to straight up tell Tyrion that Cersei sent me, but of course I wasn't able to. I picked the Cersei dialog option and the guard interrupted me (Wouldn't want to whisper, would we?) from outside. At that point I figured it was obvious that if I picked the "..." response anyone with half a brain would understand that Cersei sent me and I am trying to convey that by remaining quiet. Then Tyrion tells me he wishes I was honest with him. I guess subtlety is not an option.

As for the final choice, I let Rodrik live. I like both of the characters, so it wasn't an easy decision. It looked like only 2-3 pit fighters were left after the battle so they didn't factor into my choice. Asher has been disconnected from everything happening in Westeros, he doesn't deserve to see this through to the end as much as Rodrik. I better be able to kick some Whitehill ass in the final episode.

TimFL

- Told Tyrion about everything as Mira
- Tried to stab Ramsay (hey atleast he was impressed?)
- Did not kill the traitor (Royland), Talia is pissed at Rodrick
- Rodrik died (I like Asher more) -> the fight that follows is literally the same for both, totally expected Asher to kill more than Rodrik but they seemingly just swap out the models with the animations etc. being the same
- Spared Bloodsong

I was kind of hesitant when I had to pick between Asher and Rodrik. Asher is my favorite character since episode 2 but Rodrik had an interesting arc with Eleana (who is now going to be pissed?). Maybe Asher gets a love interest in Ep6 (Beshka? the Whitehill chick? Who knows?).

I totally expected Asher to somehow hook up with Dany, Telltale did not deliver. Atleast she laughed at my "we're both easy on the eyes" joke.

Better than the last episode.

1) Didn't stab Ramsay because why the fuck would you try.

2) Spared Bloodsong

3) Tried to lie even though why the fuck would I do that

4) Killed Duncan because fuck that guy

5) Let Rodrik take the sacrifice because Asher is in better shape and is a better leader, especially with the pit fighters.

Elaena deciding to start fucking Rodrik immediately after Arthur dying was fucking stupid.

I was kind of hesitant when I had to pick between Asher and Rodrik. Asher is my favorite character since episode 2 but Rodrik had an interesting arc with Eleana (who is now going to be pissed?). Maybe Asher gets a love interest in Ep6 (Beshka? the Whitehill chick? Who knows?).

Asher was exiled for messing around with Gwyn Whitehill. I expect the ending will either be Rodrik + Elaena Forrester or Asher + Gwyn Forrester.

Loakum

Banned
Better than the last episode.

3) Tried to lie even though why the fuck would I do that

Elaena deciding to start fucking Rodrik immediately after Arthur dying was fucking stupid.

[/SPOILER]

for statement 3)
because you don't want to get on Cersei's wrong side.

The other comment....huh? I don't remember that?

for statement 3)
because you don't want to get on Cersei's wrong side.

The other comment....huh? I don't remember that?

Eh. Mira's already got on the bad side of Margaerey by associating with Cersei and Tyrion. Also if you try to comfort Elaena they end up in bed together. For some reason.

jett

D-Member
TellTale's "illusion" of choice gets worse with every game, and within each game it gets worse with every episode.

This was just terrible.

Disgraced

Would you believe me if I said I had a feeling Rod and Elaena would fuck if I chose the "You're not alone..." one, and because I think that's messed up I chose the other one?

I enjoyed this episode, but maybe the least out of them all. For me it's mostly just soured by the opening. I'm not even tired of Ramsay antics on the show. I think he was used very effectively in the first episode of this game, but that should've been it in it. I guess it's partly my fault for not thinking hard enough, but still, I hated that sword choice because when Ramsay rejected it Rod almost threw a childish hissy fit before Ramsay took it away. I understand that Ramsay's meant to intimidate you, but my Rod has been very measured only triggering when absolutely necessary.

And since my Rod was so measured, it made Duncan's betrayal motivations extremely stupid since my exclusive "violent" choice he mentioned was bringing Royland with me to negotiate with the Whitehills. I left the Glenmore spec ops back home, my sister as regent, plus you, Duncan, my best lieutenant, to defend and took only my finest warrior/right-hand man with me as a bodyguard. How rash of me, Duncan. Fuck you, Duncan. Like, the only genuinely rash thing I did was bash Gryff's eye out, but he deserved that. I kind of regret sparing Duncan. How does the final section play out if he you kill him? How do you find out about the ambush?

Anyway, I spared Asher under this same logic:
I'm probably going to get over my issues with this episode later, but right now I'm pretty salty.

TellTale's "illusion" of choice gets worse with every game, and within each game it gets worse with every episode.

This was just terrible.

I agree. Tales of the Borderlands still entertains me but knowing no matter what i do in GOT, this is the outcome makes me feel like I'm wasting my time

A-V-B

I agree. Tales of the Borderlands still entertains me but knowing no matter what i do in GOT, this is the outcome makes me feel like I'm wasting my time

It kinda makes sense because ToB is an absurd comedy. And even then they have a couple things where it's like, wow, they actually remembered or cared. They even have a good sense of humor about the choice system itself.

The bad ending of the previous episode aside, basically everything you do in GoT leads to the worst outcome. Try to hide something? It's gonna get found out no matter what! Try to be buds with someone? They end up hating you for an utterly contrived reason!

This episode was definitely the best so far. I just hope that the stakes are high enough in the finale to make everything feel worth it. I think a lot of it will depend on what's in the North Grove, and what you can accomplish in the war with the Whitehills.

Disgraced

Before half of everyone made it through the gate, I honestly thought they were going to go full-on bootleg Red Wedding.

With my Mira
Keeping the knife, saving the letter and telling Tyrion the truth, I don't think I've ever seen a character so marked for death.

Before half of everyone made it through the gate, I honestly thought they were going to go full-on bootleg Red Wedding.

There is already a bootleg Red Wedding if you fuck up the Whitehill meeting in Episode 4, right down to Rodrik's last word being "mother". It's a game over state though.

It kinda makes sense because ToB is an absurd comedy. And even then they have a couple things where it's like, wow, they actually remembered or cared. They even have a good sense of humor about the choice system itself.

The bad ending of the previous episode aside, basically everything you do in GoT leads to the worst outcome. Try to hide something? It's gonna get found out no matter what! Try to be buds with someone? They end up hating you for an utterly contrived reason!

Thud

Would you believe me if I said I had a feeling Rod and Elaena would fuck if I chose the "You're not alone..." one, and because I think that's messed up I chose the other one?

I enjoyed this episode, but maybe the least out of them all. For me it's mostly just soured by the opening. I'm not even tired of Ramsay antics on the show. I think he was used very effectively in the first episode of this game, but that should've been it in it. I guess it's partly my fault for not thinking hard enough, but still, I hated that sword choice because when Ramsay rejected it Rod almost threw a childish hissy fit before Ramsay took it away. I understand that Ramsay's meant to intimidate you, but my Rod has been very measured only triggering when absolutely necessary.

And since my Rod was so measured, it made Duncan's betrayal motivations extremely stupid since my exclusive "violent" choice he mentioned was bringing Royland with me to negotiate with the Whitehills. I left the Glenmore spec ops back home, my sister as regent, plus you, Duncan, my best lieutenant, to defend and took only my finest warrior/right-hand man with me as a bodyguard. How rash of me, Duncan. Fuck you, Duncan. Like, the only genuinely rash thing I did was bash Gryff's eye out, but he deserved that. I kind of regret sparing Duncan. How does the final section play out if he you kill him? How do you find out about the ambush?

Duncan mentions the ambush before he dies. I killed him, because he's not gonna be useful. I wish there were a third option, just crippling the bastard like Rod.

The writing is pretty bad sometimes, but I like how it went down. I hope episode 6 closes the deal and no cliffhanger BS.

Violet_0

Banned
just played episode 3-5, still like this game

I suppose the
traitor
changes depending on what choices you made. Say, can I replay episode 5 on a different save file without having to go through the first four episodes again?

Dammit, I hate the Whitehills. It was a really tough choice but
I left Rodrik behind. Asher was more of a personality plus the pit fighters will follow him. Really tough choice though.

Zolo

I left Rodrick behind because I felt it was a proper, tragic end to his story. Killed while saving the life of his brother while dying to the snot-nosed punk who's been lording over them this entire time. In comparison, I feel like Asher can still get a good bit of story out with his connection to Gwyn and the whole 'Returning home' storyline in general.

I left
Rodrik behind but the more I think about it more I think the more logical pick is to leave Asher behind.

I might replay that part to "fix" my story.

Roto13

Giving you the chance to stab Ramsay in the throat was so stupid. He has plot armour.

I killed Bloodsong because, you know, when in Rome. Did that fight feel weird to anyone else? Like it was slower and more methodical than other fights in the game.

There's no point in lying to Tyrion. He's a human bullshit detector.

What was the point of Finn? He wasn't even invited but he came along anyway and complained about it. Then he died.

I let Rodrick die because of what they said about the pit fighters respecting Asher and not Rodrick. Hurt to do it, though. I didn't want to leave either of them behind.

I can't help but feel it's pretty contrived that Dany, the person who goes on to execute hundreds of slave masters on a whim, would be so upset that Asher killed one last episode.

Queens get to execute people.

Yeah good point.
As soon as Talia said she saw the traitor i was pretty sure it would be Ser Royland

As soon as I heard there even was a traitor, I was pretty sure it would be whoever wasn't my sentinel. :p I killed that motherfucker before he even finished talking.

Just finished the episode. Kinda Meh, got spoiled about the ending because the internet sucks, but anyhoo...

Overall, I just don't think GoT was the best choice for a telltale series. I don't mind seeing Cersei, Tyrion and Marg in King's Landing, it makes sense for them to be there. Ramsay OTOH,
is as annoying here as he is in the show, maybe even more so because you KNOW he has villain plot armor.
The whole opening sequence then felt forced as fuck. Friggen awful.

Based on location:

The North:

Still slow as hell, and will likely lead nowhere. Only one episode left, seems set up ONLY so there can be a wall viewpoint. I hope I am wrong. But the North Grove has practically no way of actually affecting anything.

KL:

My big question is honestly WHY Cersei and Tyrion even care about Mira at this point. Tyrion is facing death, and Cersei has no real reason to bother with the girl. She is clearly already out of Marg's graces. I just don't get it. Which is a shame because I LIKED early KL stuff.

Essos:

Dany is horribly out of character. I have no idea why that dude wants to stay and follow her. Seems stupid, but at least the plot had some action and was decent. And holy HELL does Beska whine. Her reaction to me telling Dany about the slave master seemed way over the top.

Irowrath:

Again, not a whole lot to actually DO. The traitor was obvious, though self defeating. I get what Telltale wanted but I don't care if your lord is making some bad decisions. What you are doing is likely to get EVERYONE including yourself and everyone you ever cared about KILLED. Letting Gryff go earns you nothing, I just do not get it. Bad plot point all around.

Finale:

I think it would have been cool to be unspoiled, but I had an idea of what was coming. Still didn't entirely seem fair. Where did all the soldiers come from? Did no one actually SCOUT the rea? Looks like Rodrik had been there for a long time already, I mean seriously, Gryff was on horeseback, and they KNEW an ambush was incoming. The choice itself was rough though. I chose Asher, because I guess I liked him a bit more, and storyline wise his death right there seems to be a bad storytelling choice in my mind.

Overall though. I think the biggest problem I have with the series so far is that there are no real wins. No matter what you do, everything will go to shit. Damned if you do damned if you don't. But it isn't like there is a trade off, it's not like you win a small victory here, but you then lose something as a result. No matter WHAT you do you are fucked, you are simply choosing the manner of your fucking in a roundabout way. It feels more obvious than it has in any Telltale game I have played.

Game of Thrones |OT| When you play the Game of Thrones it doesn't matter anyway

Kinda. It would be like if you could choose actions in the show, and Robb didn't act like an idiot in S2 and S3, didn't marry Talisa, didn't kill the Karstarks, and the Red Wedding STILL happened no matter what.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So I have Windows 10 installed. Got my Xbox One wire controller plugged in. I was able to play all other games with the controller. However, this game won't recognize the controller. Anybody else got similar problem ? If so, anybody got a solution to fix this problem ? Like, is there maybe a file I can edit to force it into controller mode ?

carlsojo

Soooooo my experience:

Let Bloodsong live. I figured he'd join me (and he did). Surprised he didn't die immediately in the next battle.

Executed the traitor. Fuck that guy.

Chose Asher. I liked him more and I couldn't do that to Beshka. Hearing her screaming "Don't you dare leave me here.." was more than enough.

As for my thoughts on the finale:
I don't think the big moment had nearly enough build up. It was all over too quickly. Furthermore the choice wasn't really super clear what I was picking. I can't remember, but I got it mixed up as to whether I was picking who stayed or who left so I had to rewi.. I mean restart to fix it.

If Episode 5 ends on a fucking cliffhanger I'm not buying anymore Telltale seasons at release. Whitehill better be wiped off the map.

antitrop

I'm a bit behind, but I just finished Episode 4 a few days ago and thought it terrible. I have little will to go on with Episode 5, but I will, because at this point, I might as well just get the damn Platinum. Maybe 6 will end on an especially strong note.

Gorger

Telltale has a lot to learn from Life is Strange when it comes to consequence of choices. I hope the next batch of telltale games will improve in this area because the illusion is starting to get too obvious and have a really bad effect on immersion.
Let's take an example from the latest episode :
No matter what you do up to the end of the chapter through all the episodes; either Asher or Roderik will die. Why is there never a third or fourth option where you can actually save or lose them both depending on how you have played? Like from Asher's side I was loyal with Daenerys and got a crap ton of gold which bought me a huge army. I also let the strong pit fighter live. It would have been cool to see one of those choices have a more significant effect later on, especially now that we're nearing the end which should give the developers more leeway to be creative with our choices. For example the pit fighter I let live could have sacrificed himself holding the gate for us since he wanted an honorable death anyways or the gold might have bought me enough fighters to repel the attack for everyone to slip through... or my choices could instead have completely backfired leaving them both dead in the ditch.
I pay more attention and put a lot more thought on the choices in Life is Strange, because so far they seem to matter with real consequence attached for your actions when you mess up. With so many telltale games running the exact same formula I can already easily see through their illusions which just sours my enjoyment of the game. I would be really glad if they spiced up the choices for the next generation of games. We'll see what they'll do with the next season of their flagship series TWD. They have been developing it for quite some time now, and they haven't released any screenshots yet, so that might be a hint that they're making it in a new engine.
I still really enjoy these type of story driven choice games, and would love to see more of them in the future.

TimFL

...We'll see what they'll do with the next season of their flagship series TWD. They have been developing it for quite some time now, and they haven't released any screenshots yet, so that might be a hint that they're making it in a new engine.
I still really enjoy these type of story driven choice games, and would love to see more of them in the future.
Yeah, keep on dreaming.
LiS really has the better consequences, but I can't get over how incredibly cringeworthy the characters conversations are. I prefer Telltale games (even though less consequences).

dottme

As for my thoughts on the finale:
I don't think the big moment had nearly enough build up. It was all over too quickly. Furthermore the choice wasn't really super clear what I was picking. I can't remember, but I got it mixed up as to whether I was picking who stayed or who left so I had to rewi.. I mean restart to fix it.

I was confuse too. I don't remember in details but I think it was something like :
One of the guy said choose the one who come with you and then the choice is choose the one who stay behind.

Outside of this, my two complaints are:
- the choices don't feel important. The consequences are small
- they are trying to much to stick to all the small tricks of the TV series and sometime it look like it is forced. Especially when we put this with my previous complaint.

Vibrant

Banned
So you're telling me
no one saw the soldiers preparing for the ambush? And they knew it was coming..

This story writing keeps degrading imho.

EulaCapra

I spared as many pretty men as I could
(Asher, non-Sentinel Duncan, Bloodsong).

R.I.P. other pretty men
(Rodrik, Finn, Arthur)!

This game has so many hunks with nice sets of hair it's ridiculous. Finn and Arthur are gay canon in my head. And apparently Arthur might be anyway with episode 4's easter egg.

Montresor

I disliked the first episode very much but recently I re-played episode 1 and I've been immediately afterward powering through episodes 2 through 5 as well.

Episodes 2 and 3 are quite amazing (especially the end of episode 3 when
my boy Rodrik stands up to the Whitehill fourth-born son
). Initially House Forrester was so new and foreign that it was hard for me to relate to them. But I've become really engaged in the plight of House Forrester the more and more I play the game. Episode 2 also finally started to introduce the globe-trotting that is so awesome in the books and the show. In Episode 1 you were really only switching back and forth between King's Landing and Ironrath (with an incredibly brief foray at The Twins or outside The Wall). Once you get to Episode 2 you start to have lengthy interactions at
The Wall and in Yunkai and Mereen across the sea along with Ironrath and King's Landing.

I'm currently finishing off Episode 5. The game looks beautiful on XB1, but sometimes the game does stutter annoyingly. Thankfully during this recent playthrough of episodes 1-5 I have never seen any unplayable stuttering during QTEs... I had read that was a problem, so it's nice to see they fixed that. There is still major stuttering during some of the "Previously on Game of Thrones" cutscenes though.

Top Bottom