• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok has been rated by the Korean Ratings Board

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I'm hoping the delay was a blessing in disguise, allowing them to really up the ante further in the bosses and enemy variety
They did mentioned that Ragnarok will have many different enemies this time and they kinda had to imo because there's a whole 9 explorable realms

bitbydeath

If we’re getting an early June show:

The last two showcases were each held on a Thursday. Meaning next week June 2 or June 9.

Both previous showcases were announced one week out and at the end of the week. 2020 on a Friday and 2021 on a Thursday.

June 9 is the SGF kick-off, which means it probably won’t be that date.

Either we get an announcement tomorrow for next week or it’s going to fall later in June, if in June at all.

kyliethicc

When we have a release date that is within 3 months. We don't have the right now. Remember when hzd2 and gt7 had 2021 release dates? Yeah

It seems you're the salty one though? I've been saying for months gow2 would be delayed. I still believe that. Has nothing to do with salt. But your response feels like it does!

No it's not. What's the release date then?
Horizon Forbidden West was rated in Korea in November 2021.
It released about 4 months later in February 2022.

God of War Ragnarok has been rated in May 2022.
About 4 months from now is September 2022.

Don’t forget Demon Souls. Seems like games don’t get rated in Korea unless they are pretty close to release.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It’s either gonna come out or gets delayed, we will find out soon enough, as of now there is no point arguing about it.
200.gif

Swift_Star

Banned
When we have a release date that is within 3 months. We don't have the right now. Remember when hzd2 and gt7 had 2021 release dates? Yeah

It seems you're the salty one though? I've been saying for months gow2 would be delayed. I still believe that. Has nothing to do with salt. But your response feels like it does!

No it's not. What's the release date then?
Stop being a clown. It’s embarrassing.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Don’t forget Demon Souls. Seems like games don’t get rated in Korea unless they are pretty close to release.
See, this is the difference between informed speculation...and speculation based on...feelings...

I wanna say every Sony game this gen rated in Korea had a 3-4 month release after. I'm not sure tho.

One things for sure tho....Ragnarok is coming....soon.

Last edited:
I think that’s what the rumour is about.
However it could just be a native PS5 remaster.
Why?

1. MP is coming to release alongside it.
2. TLOU1 doesn’t need a remake.
3. TLOU2 remake would continue the tradition of starting on one system and being redone for the other.

Now I also wouldn’t be surprised if they took this opportunity to retcon Joel’s death.
Why?

1. There’s a TV Show Pedro signed up for as the lead, and they’ll likely want that to continue for many seasons to come.
2. The same story would still work if Joel was beat badly/into a coma.
3. Almost everyone hates Abbey because of her actions, if she showed restraint it’d put her in a better light moving forward to TLOU3 and the audience the game may have lost would be more likely to return.
No. Part 1 is getting a full remake (not a remaster).

See, this is the difference between informed speculation...and speculation based on...feelings...

I wanna say every Sony game this gen rated in Korea had a 3-4 month release after. I'm not sure tho.

One things for sure tho....Ragnarok is coming....soon.

I like to use proof to base my speculation on. Sure I’m open to a delay but there’s a lot of evidence that suggests it won’t get delayed.

1. The rating in Korea
  2. The employees talking about the launch
  3. Jason’s optimism
  4. The release dates of the merchandise
As for evidence of a delay there really isn’t anything that I’ve seen yet.

Varteras

Gold Member
I like to use proof to base my speculation on. Sure I’m open to a delay but there’s a lot of evidence that suggests it won’t get delayed.

1. The rating in Korea
  2. The employees talking about the launch
  3. Jason’s optimism
  4. The release dates of the merchandise
As for evidence of a delay there really isn’t anything that I’ve seen yet.
All things considered, at this point a delay would be more surprising than a release. As I recall there was also a hiring ad for someone to work on marketing and it would include God of War releasing this year.

All things considered, at this point a delay would be more surprising than a release. As I recall there was also a hiring ad for someone to work on marketing and it would include God of War releasing this year.

Yes I’m not discarding a delay but I don’t expect it to happen. If it does I’m sure it will still come soon. Definitely not expecting the game to be delayed another year.

sachos

Is there any precedence of a game being rated in Korea and still being delayed? It looks like its aiming for a September release, Forspoken October, any chance we get FF16 or TLoU Remake on November/December? That would be insane.

Varteras

Gold Member
Is there any precedence of a game being rated in Korea and still being delayed? It looks like its aiming for a September release, Forspoken October, any chance we get FF16 or TLoU Remake on November/December? That would be insane.
Quite typically when a game is rated, it is very close to release. Instances of a game being rated and then still not being out for a long time seem to be very few and far between. There have been a number of other indications of the game releasing this year that, when added to a rating of the game, all but confirm its imminent release. It is still not guaranteed, mind you. But far less likely than it was prior to the rating occurring.

As far as what else we get this year, I think a Last of Us game is almost certain. The show is firing up soon and the Factions game is believed to be one of the three live service games Sony expects to launch within the next 10 months. Reliable leakers like Tom Henderson have heard multiple games in that franchise are almost done and he suspects at least one of them will release before the end of the calendar year. Now, whether the game we get this calendar year is the remake of Part 1, Factions, a Part 2 remaster, or a combination, I have no clue. I personally wouldn't be surprised if the remake releases this year with a remaster of the second game attached to it. Like what Miles Morales did with Spider-Man. I don't think Sony wants to throw all of its eggs in one second-half basket. Unless they already have some stellar lineup for early 2023, one of those games will get launched next year.

We've heard rumors that Forspoken might get pushed to next year to make way for Final Fantasy XVI this year. I would not be surprised. Forspoken just looks like it needs more time in the oven. Even though it looks a little better with each gameplay reveal, it's still not blowing peoples' skirts up. Also, I have a feeling Square Enix is going to try to get the second part of Final Fantasy VII Remake out next year. Late Summer or Holiday 2023 would be my guess. If that's the case, they'll probably want as much space between it and FF16 as possible.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Which ones?
Like Paul Tassi for one.

Tony Polanco too:

And there are a few more, of course.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Are they real insiders or just fanboys?
Paul writes for Forbes. Tony for Tomsguide. I don't follow "insiders" closely so not sure, but they have a big enough audience and a respectable publication platform to influence people's mindset, to say the least.

Also, notice with how much conviction they tweeted this. If someone was on a fence whether to buy a PlayStation or not, solely based on God of War's release, they could have easily influence their decision not to buy the console.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Those are reaction statements based on Starfield getting delayed with no other evidence. Bethesda dropped the delay at 7:00AM and his tweet dropped 4 minutes later about God of War. He knows nothing.
I agree that he knows nothing. If he really knew, he'd have said that God of War is on track for releasing in 2022.

But the point is that why his reaction statement about Starfield's delay had to include God of War and making speculations about another game's release date? Actually, not even speculation. He didn't say "I think GoWR might also get delayed." He said with conviction and certainty that "GOW is absolutely getting delayed."

And these are not random Twitter accounts. These are "journalists" with thousands of followers, supposed media and gaming industry connections, and respectable publication platforms that feature their opinions and statements. Exhibit A. More than enough to influence people online.

Varteras

Gold Member
Are they real insiders or just fanboys?

Paul writes for Forbes. Tony for Tomsguide. I don't follow "insiders" closely so not sure, but they have a big enough audience and a respectable publication platform to influence people's mindset, to say the least.

Also, notice with how much conviction they tweeted this. If someone was on a fence whether to buy a PlayStation or not, solely based on God of War's release, they could have easily influence their decision not to buy the console.
Yeah. They've both had some fairly bad takes. I wouldn't call them fanboys, but they've definitely aimed to stir pots and attempt to speak from positions of authority they don't actually have. Especially Tassi. He's an example of how many journalists in the industry behave. Kneejerk reactions like their readers and getting their opinions, masquerading as facts, out to the public as quickly as possible. Failing to do their due diligence on different matters.

Tassi is now not only wrong about Ragnarok getting delayed, to which he tried to sound very definitive on the subject, but he was proven very wrong about his assessment on Sony buying Bungie. To which he said Sony couldn't afford them. Any of these journalists worth their salt who make comments on the business side of the industry would know how absurd that notion is. Not even in hindsight. You don't even need a deep understanding of financials to look at Sony's and understand how much purchasing power they actually have.

Last edited:
If we’re getting an early June show:

The last two showcases were each held on a Thursday. Meaning next week June 2 or June 9.

Both previous showcases were announced one week out and at the end of the week. 2020 on a Friday and 2021 on a Thursday.

June 9 is the SGF kick-off, which means it probably won’t be that date.

Either we get an announcement tomorrow for next week or it’s going to fall later in June, if in June at all.

I think we'll see more of God of War Ragnarok on Geoff's event June 9 and then we'll get a dedicated State of Play for it. If FFXVI is a 2022 game I could see the same thing happening to it.

The last two PlayStation Showcases happened in September and for a game that is supposed to release this year, it would be way too late to start promoting it then.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Or Starfield being the most recent example. A lot of people were wrong about that one.
Yep! Tons of examples. Not just from Sony or Microsoft. The list goes on...
Nothing officially announced yet but the leaks for the merchandise makes around September seem possible.

That’s what I’m making a reference to in case you missed it. Makes sense from a merchandising perspective.
Merchandise are probably made well in advance and not indicative of a release date. I'm sure there was hzd2 merchandise popping up before that game was delayed.

This is helpful. There does appear to be a pattern. But we've learned nothing is a given these days.
Stop being a clown. It’s embarrassing.
You are so triggered. Goodness! The mere idea that the game could be delayed sets you off.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Like Paul Tassi for one.

Tony Polanco too:

And there are a few more, of course.

Dopamine opportunists that lead with feelings.

Next.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Merchandise are probably made well in advance and not indicative of a release date. I'm sure there was hzd2 merchandise popping up before that game was delayed.

This is helpful. There does appear to be a pattern. But we've learned nothing is a given these days.

You are so triggered. Goodness! The mere idea that the game could be delayed sets you off.

Why do you keep saying “we” like you’re going to play the game?

Maybe we will find out here?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/state-of-play-returns-next-week.1637139/

Merchandise indicates that the game is close. They are not going to delay it another year if it happens. Then there’s the ratings board and the employees comments on Twitter.

So yes according to you it’s more likely it will not get delayed based on the evidence.

Last edited:

Nydius

Gold Member
Paul writes for Forbes.
This is generously overstating his position and giving him gravitas he doesn't deserve.
He's a contributor to Forbes, not a staff writer.

The vast majority of his content is fanboying for Destiny, concern trolling about Destiny, putting down other looter games because they're not Destiny, or posting clickbaity articles that are either copy/pastes of news from other outlets or OpEd's based on whatever the prevailing social media winds are at the time. When Starfield got delayed, he jumped on the console war'n bandwagon for clicks and views, as is his norm.

If he were actually a staff writer for Forbes, he'd be held to a higher standard (or so I'd like to believe).

Last edited:
Top Bottom