• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think all current generaton games should focus on locked 60fps above all else.

Do you agree framerate should be prioritized on Series X/PS5

• Yes!

Votes: 164 60.5%
  • No!

Votes: 66 24.4%
  • I do not care/

Votes: 41 15.1%

• Total voters

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Let's be honest. Outside of the rare game like R&C, most modern games look little better than a last generation game. If you take that a step further, taking a blind test to tell graphics difference between Xbox one X/PS4 pro games and Series X/PS5 most need an eagle eye to tell the difference. Yes a rare game occasionly comes along and is a real generaton difference. Those are rare and very far between.

The Last of Us part 2 running on a ps4 pro still looks better than 99% of series X and PS5 games. My point is outside of hdr and lighting there has been minor upgrades in graphics.

Loading has been one major upgrade but I believe framerate is the much bigger upgrade.

Outside the wizards at Nintendo almost every game running below 60fps just feels like a sluggish mesh. Before I got my ps5 I was use to playing games at 30fps or less. It is really hard to go back there now. Once you feel the responsive of a silky smooth framerate, smooth animation, camera pans and all of the other benefits at games running at 60fps it feels like sluggish dogshit trying to go back.

I think developers should focus on getting their games at a locked 60fps then build their assets as high as they can from there. Even if the game drops to below 1080p, framerate should be top priority.

4k 60fps is not reasonable to ask for or expect. There are graphics cards that cost 3x what a ps5 cost that struggle to hit that without dlss or the equivalent.

Do you agree framerate should be prioritized on the ps5/series X?

feynoob

Banned
30fps be like
Encino Man No GIF

Fbh

I'd be ok with graphics this gen peaking with Forbidden West and devs focusing on gameplay and performance instead.

I don't need locked 60fps thought. If the game is 60fps most of the time but has drops during specific heavy areas it isn't that bad, specially now with VRR.

Though ultimately I still think devs should be able to do whatever they want. Its just that I'm personally increasingly less impressed with games with nothing new to show except nicer graphics

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Agreed.... wish they did use this generation to establish 60 fps as the baseline for games and go from there with the graphics updates for next gens .

30 fps, IMO, as so many things of the pass should die off ..

for me Ps5 generation is the 60 fps generation couldn't give two shits about graphics if it means play again in 30 fps.

I will never play another 30 fps game again, ever.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

That's very original, you're only the 2392th member making a thread about this. This week.

PS : I agree but huh, let's go to the "Off Topic" section and make a "if world hunger ends, people could eat" thread everyday.

EruditeHobo

I prefer 60 but you are painting yourself in a corner putting restrictions on developers.

Exactly. It's hard enough releasing something in the modern AAA space... there are enough challenges that can completely bankrupt a studio if there are missteps... within the context of reality, 30 frames is fine.

Certain devs on certain games can do 4k / 60, and that's fine. Other people are going to make the game that they want make, and are capable of making.

NoobSmog

This push for every game to be 60 fps is part of the reason why there doesn't seem to be a huge leap in power from last gen.

There's still plenty of time, all the ridiculous looking games came out in the last half of the previous gen.

bender

What time is it?
It's probably been pointed out a half billion times before but:

-The general consumer doesn't really care about 30 vs 60 FPS.
-The easiest thing to market is prettier visuals.
-Consoles have fallen far behind the chase for higher resolutions, especially when they need to market those prettier visuals.

There is some I hope, I guess. Maybe we'll settle on 4K as a target resolution for a while though I'm doubtful. Reconstruction techniques are getting better. 120Hz and VRR are becoming more common on televisions, the former opening the door for 40FPS. I do think we are also at a tipping point for visuals in games, not that they can't improve but doing so is too costly for development cycles and team sizes.

I've been saying since the 360/PS3 era (and you can include a lot of titles from the previous generation as well, that I'm satisfied with asset levels being created and those games would look and feel amazing with higher/stable framerates, widescreen support, and with better AA, AF and LOD should the game engine be able to support those improvements. And I know that isn't a universal fix, as higher resolutions will expose lackluster texture work and primitive models, not to mention older lighting techniques and animation systems. What were we talking about again?

Hugare

GOTY will be Zelda, a game that doesnt even run at a stable 30 FPS. Nintendo would have to wait at least one more generation to release ToTK if they were only releasing games at 60 FPS.

So no, fuck 60 FPS being mandatory. I want visuals and gameplay design being pushed beyond what we see today.

Dont want to see slightly better looking PS4 games at 60 FPS at upscaled 1440p.

But if you are locking your game to 30, your game damn better be looking like Matrix Demo and not like Gotham Knights.

Last edited:

Hugare

I'd say those two wishes are largely at odds with one another.
Not at all

Again, do you think that Nintendo would be able to do what they did with TotK at 60 FPS?

How many games make compromises on CPU usage, even with the new consoles, so they could release a 60 FPS game?

Specially open world games that have a bigger CPU usage. How RDR 2 would have looked on old gen if R* have prioritized 60 FPS?

A game plays better at 60 FPS, but it compromises the game's design, not benefits it.

Crysis 2 being downgraded in pretty much every sense compared to Crysis 1 due to console limitations, for example. Thats equivelent to what game devs would maybe have to sacrifice to achieve 60 FPS.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not at all

Again, do you think that Nintendo would be able to do what they did with TotK at 60 FPS?

How many games make compromises on CPU usage, even with the new consoles, so they could release a 60 FPS game?

Specially open world games that have a bigger CPU usage. How RDR 2 would have looked on old gen if R* have prioritized 60 FPS?

Nintendo's focus is on design. I'd argue that because they aren't pushing the boundaries of visuals, they can push the boundaries of design. Rockstar's focus is on visuals and presentation. I'd argue that because they are pushing the boundaries of visuals, their design suffers and has remained largely the same since Vice City.

Last edited:

Hugare

Nintendo's focus is on design. I'd argue that because they aren't pushing the boundaries of visuals, they can push the boundaries of design. Rockstar's focus is on visuals and presentation. I'd argue that because they are pushing the boundaries of visuals, their design suffers and has remained largely the same since Vice City.
Again, I understand that Nintendo focuses on pushing the boundaries of design. But for that, hardware is also important. If they were only focusing on 60 FPS, TotK wouldnt have been made on the Switch, dont you agree?

And I dont think that Rockstar would push better gameplay ideas if they had to work with 60 FPS. Their games would just look worse, less NPCs on the street and etc.

bender

What time is it?
Again, I understand that Nintendo focuses on pushing the boundaries of design. But for that, hardware is also important. If they were only focusing on 60 FPS, TotK wouldnt have been made on the Switch, dont you agree?

And I dont think that Rockstar would push better gameplay ideas if they had to work with 60 FPS. Their games would just look worse, less NPCs on the street and etc.

I think you are focusing too much on 60FPS, but that's understandable given the nature of the topic. When I'm talking about the boundaries of visuals, I'm talking about asset quality, animations, etc.

100% agree, 60fps should be the new standard for any game with any kind of action in it.

I suppose turn based games, and strategy games, virtual board games. Card games
, ect it won’t matter.

But for racing, fighting, fps, third person action, ect it definitely DOES matter.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Games look pretty good with some effort. I personally prefer 60 but giving gamers choice is where it's at.

Horizon at 60 is gorgeous so your not sacrificing a whole lot, especially in motion, to get there.

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, if they can do cool stuff that requires them to go for 30fps then I don’t mind.

Something like TotK wouldn’t run in 60fps on Switch and I wouldn’t want them to add load times between the sky/ground/underground sections, gimp the physics etc. just to get to 60fps above all else.

Last edited:

Vick

Yes.
For every game and genre to me, no exceptions.

Only takes one Gen to be standard forever, just hold on a bit.

There will always be those who will value 30fps for a better quality visuals. That being said, I don't see any game that looks significantly better at 30fps over 60fps. Like polygons, we're seeing some diminishing returns. Unless you are doing photo mode, I would not have noticed the drastic changes between "quality" and "performance".

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
No. Slow paced games are still playable at 30 fps and can benefit more from high end graphics and gameplay than framerate.

If you consider framerate the only important thing, its YOUR problem.

And leave the rest of us who can still enjoy 30 fps in fucking peace.

Bojji

Developers will do what they believe is best for their games, and so they should.

Luckily, you don't make the rules.

Devs more often than not shit the bed with new releases.

One dev can make beautiful 60fps game with ray tracing (Id)

Other will make 30fps sub 4k turd

Developers should target 60fps from the beginning and make games around that, then slap 30fps 4k\RT option.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Snl One Hundred Percent GIF by Saturday Night Live

Absolutely. Gameplay is king. Framerate is life. Framerate >>> Resolution. Any day. All day. 30fps = dog water 💦

Last edited:

darrylgorn

GOTY will be Zelda, a game that doesnt even run at a stable 30 FPS.

No one expects 60 fps on Switch.

If you prefer higher resolution, then good for you. But I don't purchase any game that I can't run at 60fps.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Absolutely not. It limits creativity and tech progress. I hate 60fps crusaders.... it's like people just discovered 60fps after years of playing. For me it's the other way around. I learned to ignore this headache crap after years of playing on pc... when I got xbox 360, I found myself absolutely not caring for 30fps or whatever low fps there was. I was just enjoying games for amazing new gameplay and graphics... and 30fps was not as laggy s nowadays.
Imagine last gen, if tlou2 was 720p 60fps? It would not be a better game for it. That game looks so amazing because they can focus on graphics.
30fps is fin and if some games being 30fps is a dealbreaker for you, you are not a gamer but a whiny asshole. Get a pc.

The only problem is that 30fps must be low input lag type like bloodborne or uncharted 4. Not like demons souls ps5 quality mode (+75ms input lag compared to bloodbrne).
And heavy (and good quality) motion blur really helps especially on oled to make the movement appear smoother. Again look at uncharted4 or plague tale requiem.

This gen, I only finished horizon forbidden west at 4k30 and uncharted remaster (replayed at 40fps recently).

30 fps really is fine if you give it a good try and just stop being a fucking bitch and play the game.
again, unless it's a broken 30fps implementation with no motion blur and too high input lag. In reality, the input lag of 30fps should be only 16ms slower than 60fps but devs don't understand how to properly cap a game.
Bloodborne has lower input lag at 30fps than some 60fps games this gen. Low input lag = some framepacing.... there must be a middle ground

edit: I was very fixated on this few years back. 240hz and 144hz monitors... I was going crazy PCMR again. Never fucking again. This totally ruined my gaming focus.
I've realized I prefer 4k and breathtaking graphics after I got 4k60 ips monitor. Now with 4k120 oled in my face on my desk, 4k and hdr OLED shines and it looks incredible. 40 fps is my personal sweet spot if 60fps is too blurry.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I agree, but then u have grown man crying like babies saying games look last gen.
Current games already look like last gen. Might as well run smoother.

The two best games I’ve played this generation have been Elden Ring and Tears Of The Kingdom.

The quality of the gameplay trumps frame rate. Every time. 60fps is nice to have, but if a game is as well made as those are, the performance becomes far less important.
Ok. Now play Elden Ring at 60fps on a PC and see if you can come back to 30fps after that.

Also, you do realize higher frame rate affects gameplay by reducing input lag and making the whole game feel more responsive. Right?

I always used to play all multiplatform games at 60fps on PC (until it got 9 years old and now i need a new build). Dark Souls (with the fix), Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, The surge, etc. Then i see those games on consoles and go back and hug my PC. Console gamers really get the lesser experience with locked 30fps games.

Last edited:

nkarafo

So no, fuck 60 FPS being mandatory. I want visuals and gameplay design being pushed beyond what we see today.

Dont want to see slightly better looking PS4 games at 60 FPS at upscaled 1440p.

But if you are locking your game to 30, your game damn better be looking like Matrix Demo and not like Gotham Knights.
But.... why not lower the fps even further? Why stick to 30fps and not do 20fps? Much more fidelity there! But wait... why not 10fps while we are at it? Imagine how many graphics you can fit in that frame rate. And what about a slideshow? Just have still images with some narration. Imagine how good those still images will look at 16k downsampled, with full Ray tracing. Way more graphics that 30fps. Who needs motion, right?

Other than that, sure, i don't agree on anything being mandatory. Devs should have the right to do as they please and people have the right to choose whatever they like.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Devs more often than not shit the bed with new releases.

One dev can make beautiful 60fps game with ray tracing (Id)

Other will make 30fps sub 4k turd

Developers should target 60fps from the beginning and make games around that, then slap 30fps 4k\RT option.

... Or they should just do what they think is best for their own game and ignore arbitrary rules made by internet randos who know nothing of game development.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But.... why not lower the fps even further? Why stick to 30fps and not do 20fps? Much more fidelity there! But wait... why not 10fps? Imagine how many graphics you can fit in that frame rate. Like, at least 150.000 more. And what about a slideshow? Just have still images with some narration. Imagine how good those still images will look at 16k downsampled. Way more graphics that 30fps.

Other than that, sure, i don't agree on anything being mandatory. Devs should have the right to do as they please and people have the right to choose whatever they like.
you fucking troll. You really think you are being clever with you bs?
Seriously, nobody cares about your snarky idiocy. be gone

Top Bottom