• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think all current generaton games should focus on locked 60fps above all else.

Do you agree framerate should be prioritized on Series X/PS5

• Yes!

Votes: 164 60.5%
  • No!

Votes: 66 24.4%
  • I do not care/

Votes: 41 15.1%

• Total voters
Nah. I think all devs should do a 4K/1440p version at 30fps, pushing the graphics as much as possible, as well as a 60fps version that pulls back the resolution and graphics just enough to achieve a solid frame rate. Best of both worlds.

brian0057

Banned
They should focus on the game being good, first of all.
Then you can worry about polish later, as long as it isn't after launch.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
But.... why not lower the fps even further? Why stick to 30fps and not do 20fps? Much more fidelity there! But wait... why not 10fps while we are at it? Imagine how many graphics you can fit in that frame rate. And what about a slideshow? Just have still images with some narration. Imagine how good those still images will look at 16k downsampled, with full Ray tracing. Way more graphics that 30fps. Who needs motion, right?

Other than that, sure, i don't agree on anything being mandatory. Devs should have the right to do as they please and people have the right to choose whatever they like.
What a load of shit. So what, Zelda TOTK is an unplayable slideshow? The smoothest playing, least glitchy, highest rated, best selling GOTY will run at 30fps.

You realize had they focused on 60fps in that game, there would be half the amount of physics, right? And it would look even shittier than it already does.

Thats the point of 30fps. On limited hardware, it allows you to bring everything else up to a higher level.

If you only care about framerate and sMoOtHnEsS then buy a damn PC. You warriors are ruining the medium with this ridiculous nonsense.

Look at the games around you, gameplay has been stagnant for a decade and there has been virtually no jump in fidelity - We are playing PS4 games at 60fps. What an exciting future.

*pukes*

Last edited:
The two best games I’ve played this generation have been Elden Ring and Tears Of The Kingdom.

The quality of the gameplay trumps frame rate. Every time. 60fps is nice to have, but if a game is as well made as those are, the performance becomes far less important.
And both those games would play better and have better input response if they were 60fps.

And no Elden ring doesn’t hold stable frame rate in performance mode, at least on PS5.

Gorgon

Whilst the lack of a graphical leap is dissapointing, FPS is much more important. We only have 4 years at least another 6 years to go until 10th gen consoles come out when we will see another graphical leap.

Fixed. The days of 5-6 year console generations are far behind us.

DeVeAn

I mean we already have 120hz mode for some games. I prefer 60 be the minimum. The PS3 era had the worst performance because 1080p. Most games were sub 720p.

Some games can do 30 pretty well but playing Zelda and jumping off a 60-120fps makes me think what if…

Valt7786

Every game just needs the 40fps/120hz option for this generation. Would 60 be better? sure, but if you cant maintain higher than 1080p at 60 then its a bit shit, frankly. 1440-60 is the sweet spot, but 1800 or 4k at 40fps is just as good, if not better. In my humble, shitty opinion, of course.

Represent.

And both those games would play better and have better input response if they were 60fps.

And no Elden ring doesn’t hold stable frame rate in performance mode, at least on PS5.
TOTK would be objectively a worse game at 60fps on the switch.

They wouldn’t be able to do as much as they did with the physics, and the image quality would be even uglier.

But yay… input. Lmao

Last edited:

Represent.

Sixty FPS is current gen. Period point blank. A game has to look godlike for me to accept anything less.
Backwards logic. The games don’t look godlike because of 60fps. Devs are sacrificing fidelity and everything else because you folks refuse to listen to logic and reason.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
From this
almost every game running below 60fps just feels like a sluggish mesh.
To this
The Last of Us part 2 running on a ps4 pro still looks better than 99% of series X and PS5 games.
Justin Timberlake What GIF

TOTK would be objectively a worse game at 60fps on the switch.

They wouldn’t be able to do as much as they did with the physics, and the image quality would be even uglier.

But yay… input. Lmao
Ya sure in the switch lol
I’ll wait for people to get it running proper on PC

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Glorious thing we have to suck those limitations less and less with less and less exclusives locked on consoles.

DaGwaphics

No matter how many times this question is asked, 60 fps always win. Devs take note.

You would think this would be the route the devs would always take if they had the choice. It's basically no additional work for them, the higher fps as years go on is just a freebie from the advancing hardware. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Next gen they can just move to 120fps and call that the advancement. You might still be playing 8th gen games, but it would be at a nice high frame rate.

I expect that from a lot if not most games anyway, but I'm hoping there will be a few outliers that will really push the boundaries of what is capable on these CPUs. As to what that would look like, who knows. Maybe greatly improved physics or advanced AI applied to hundreds or thousands of NPCs, etc.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Id rather have the best graphics we can have at 30 thanks.
Don't need 4k even just make a game look as good as it can.
Apparently you have to play ps4 games whole gen at 60 fps because 60 fps crowd is so loud that devs are afraid to not make 60 a priority.
If it’s so important why won’t they get a pc.
I realise 30 isn’t as good as 60 but hyperbole is crazy. It’s not a slideshow or unplayable

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The problem is when u go from 30fps to 60fps u can't go back fuck 4k too
You can. Play for longer than 5 minutes.
Or do a brain trick and lock fps to 20. Then after few minutes lock it to 30. You won’t believe how smooth 30 will look lol. It’s a cool brain experiment.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Bro, if HFW can do 60 fps and look as good as it does, I don't want to hear any excuses. We have AI upscalers that are only going to get better. I think the gaming budgets can afford 60 fps now, ESPECIALLY if folks are going to charge $70 for games now.

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology

No. Slow paced games are still playable at 30 fps and can benefit more from high end graphics and gameplay than framerate.

If you consider framerate the only important thing, its YOUR problem.

And leave the rest of us who can still enjoy 30 fps in fucking peace.

This. Slower paced single player gakes never needed 60 fps. Sure its better, but in more experience oriented games I wouldnt take it over the sometimes substantial graphical difference it would create. Like if it could mean the differencd between a game looking last gen and a gane looking like hellblade 2...then im taking 30 fps for hellblade 2. If 60 fps means it will look like hellbalde 1, then no Wtf is wrong with you, why are you stagnating my hobby? Lol

Fighters, some action games, online shooters, sure. 60 fps.

I also love how you guys dint even act like 45fps is playable. Thats how you know a gamer is just regurgitating shit, rather than being nuanced and reacting off his/her own experience.

Why not 45fps? That not playable? Fuck outta here lol

Bro, if HFW can do 60 fps and look as good as it does, I don't want to hear any excuses. We have AI upscalers that are only going to get better. I think the gaming budgets can afford 60 fps now, ESPECIALLY if folks are going to charge $70 for games now.

Tom Cruise GIF by Jerology
Game budgets? Lol what are you talking about. Reaching a higher framerate is simply sacrificing graphical or processing features...nothing more. Its not a budget thing.

I can tell alot of people only play on console here lol

You can't tell me that after playing Last of Us remake at 60 and then playing at 30 doesn't look like a slideshow
But.... why not lower the fps even further? Why stick to 30fps and not do 20fps? Much more fidelity there! But wait... why not 10fps while we are at it? Imagine how many graphics you can fit in that frame rate. And what about a slideshow? Just have still images with some narration. Imagine how good those still images will look at 16k downsampled, with full Ray tracing. Way more graphics that 30fps. Who needs motion, right?

Other than that, sure, i don't agree on anything being mandatory. Devs should have the right to do as they please and people have the right to choose whatever they like.

Are you 15 and started gaming in the ps3 gen?

30 fps is a minimum standard. Tears of the kingdom sure plays alright. Seems like motherfuckers sure are able to articulate and process the game experience without it being 60.

If I go back and play uncharted 2 will it feel unplayable? Or will it feel like uncharted 2?

I know its been awhile, but sometimes its nice to experience a game pushing the absolute limits of what the console can do at a playable framerate.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

Game budgets? Lol what are you talking about. Reaching a higher framerate is simply sacrificing graphical or processing features...nothing more. Its not a budget thing.

I can tell alot of people only play on console here lol
Say what you want, but 60 fps is preferred on curent gen. The poll speaks for itself, so enjoy PC i guess..

Say what you want, but 60 fps is preferred on curent gen. The poll speaks for itself, so enjoy PC i guess..
Well the poll doesnt exactly indicate what people are giving up in exchange lol lacking any nuance. 60 fps is a higher framerate so ut'll be smoother. But are we asking people would they prefer that in a atmospheric singleplayer game where the choice is 30 fps and it looks like hellblade 2 or 60 fps and it looks like hellblade 1.

I think the answers would be different. And it seems devs; The true artists, seem to understand the value of pushing the limits sometimes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would still suggest some people launching bloodborne to see how fast and responsive 30fps can be if the dev don’t care about frame pacing. Imo it’s a worthy trade

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In what way my higher standards for frame rate indicates i have less experience?

You do know 8bit and 16bit console games had 60fps as the standard, right?
60 fps technically but animation and background and mostly everything was interlaced and updated at half or 1/3rd of 60fps. On pal even slower. And tons of slowdowns when anything was happening.

You come up as the person who is new to 60 fps and put artificial limits on your enjoyment. You can go back to 30 and you can enjoy it again. It’s a matter of your will and giving Bain a bit of time to adjust (of courses if it’s good 30 fps).
If you can’t do that, pc is for you but beware. You will never be happy and might turn into ocd fps prick like I was :p

nkarafo

You can go back to 30 and you can enjoy it again. It’s a matter of your will and giving Bain a bit of time to adjust (of courses if it’s good 30 fps).
If you can’t do that, pc is for you but beware. You will never be happy and might turn into ocd fps prick like I was :p
It's too late for me, i'm already a 60fps OCD prick. 30fps looks bad and feels even worse to me. Motion blur too, i hate that thing. 40fps is my absolute minimum ceiling for 3D games and only if i absolutely have to go that low. Give me that 60fps+ smooth motion and, while you are at it, the CRT motion clarity too (i play older games at 240fps on a high refresh rate monitor just to come close to that). I don't care if i lose some graphical details to have as good motion clarity as possible. So yeah, that's one of the reasons i abandoned console gaming after the XBOX360 30fps generation fest and i became a PC gamer exclusively. And i'm thankful developers don't make that choice for me anymore.

Now if there's no choice, i'll still play a 30fps console exclusive that can't be emulated. I did play Bloodborne and finished it, even though it moved like shit on the PS4. But that slow frame rate and annoying frame pacing did get in the way. Something i didn't have to deal with playing Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro on PC, thus i enjoyed those a lot more.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's too late for me, i'm already a 60fps OCD prick. 30fps looks bad and feels even worse to me. Motion blur too, i hate that thing. 40fps is my absolute minimum ceiling for 3D games and only if i absolutely have to go that low. Give me that 60fps+ smooth motion and, while you are at it, the CRT motion clarity too (i play older games at 240fps on a high refresh rate monitor just to come close to that). I don't care if i lose some graphical details to have as good motion clarity as possible. So yeah, that's one of the reasons i abandoned console gaming after the XBOX360 30fps generation fest and i became a PC gamer exclusively. And i'm thankful developers don't make that choice for me anymore.

Now if there's no choice, i'll still play a 30fps console exclusive that can't be emulated. I did play Bloodborne and finished it, even though it moved like shit on the PS4. But that slow frame rate and annoying frame pacing did get in the way. Something i didn't have to deal with playing Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro on PC, thus i enjoyed those a lot more.
yeah been there.
Do whatever suits you.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's necessary. Not saying we shouldn't also have an optional 30 fps mode but you guys seem to want 30 instead of 60 and that is kinda insane. Not going to lie

No. It isn’t. Maybe to you as an individual, but many games are under 60fps and are excellent. 60fps is always preferable, but it’s not mandatory for a good time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom