• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Sethos

Banned
Snuggler said:
hopefully this isn't old, but Tripwire posted a Release Trailer on their twitter feed about an hour ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXV4eR8LBnY

it's more beta footage, but it looks badass

Definitely shows off some of the 'satisfying kills' stuff we've been talking about.

By the way, was I the only one who completely forgot about blind-fire in the Beta? Didn't use it and I didn't even see anyone else use it ...

demolitio

Sethos said:
Definitely shows off some of the 'satisfying kills' stuff we've been talking about.

By the way, was I the only one who completely forgot about blind-fire in the Beta? Didn't use it and I didn't even see anyone else use it ...
I used it a few times and ended up getting a kill out of one of them but I don't use the cover system often enough to use blind fire.

Smokey

Think I'm gonna scoop this. I did build a PC to play games like after all.

Never played RO1, but I consider myself a FPS beast. I know it's a tough learning curve, but anybody care to put a timetable on it before you're comfortable?

Smokey said:

Never played RO1, but I consider myself a FPS beast. I know it's a tough learning curve, but anybody care to put a timetable on it before you're comfortable?

About 5 hours for the basics, 15 hours to get good. It's not really that tough of a learning curve.

demolitio

scorpscarx said:
About 5 hours for the basics, 15 hours to get good. It's not really that tough of a learning curve.
Yea, I'd say it all depends on how quickly you can adapt to games. I can usually pick up an FPS and start off near the top and improve from there whereas this game will have a learning curve for everyone but it just depends on how quickly you can get comfortable with a different type of shooter. I'd say a few hours to get the basics down but you won't be at the top for another 10 hours or so because learning the maps in this game is HUGE compared to every other game. This is one of the few games where I struggled in the beginning and I continue to have off games until I learn the maps.

Once you've learned how to play though, the satisfaction is unreal. It's almost like a flight simulator where you feel like you just became a millionaire after your first kill and then your first good mission.

Boogdud

Smokey said:

Probably not the game for you.

Sethos

Banned
Yes, all that elitist BS and what you can do in other FPS games, might as well drop it now and adapt a new mindset.

Sethos said:
Yes, all that elitist BS and what you can do in other FPS games, might as well drop it now and adapt a new mindset.

If you're good at FPS games you'll be good at this. Although this game promotes objective capturing over kills and good teamwork over solo play. I won't like when I say that going solo, sneaking up on a bunch of camped germans/russians in a building and killing them all isn't the greatest thing on earth though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
what does the countdown timer say for you guys in US? (I know TW said don't trust it but still )

Freakinchair said:
I won't lie when I say that going solo, sneaking up on a bunch of camped germans/russians in a building and killing them all isn't the greatest thing on earth though.

Agreed.
It says one hour Corky.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Keywords at youtube video:

RO2 Full HD Gameplay Trailer COD Red Orchestra Call of Duty Modern Warfare cod4 mw2 mw3 ROHOS Multiplayer cod5 call duty WWII World War II Stalingrad

Spookie

scorpscarx said:

I don't even think it's that long. As long as you know where they are coming from and you can accept that sitting in a hole like a coward is acceptable behaviour everything else begins to fit in to place.

It does take a good couple of hours to translate all the information it throws at you in to English though. It doesn't do a very good job of helping you understand what you are suppose to do. It maybe explained in the single player/tutorial though, but I didn't have that luxury in the beta.

Sethos

Banned
Freakinchair said:
If you're good at FPS games you'll be good at this.

Not really.

Yes, you may have an advantage when it comes to reflexes and actually being able to aim, yes you may have an advantage in quick battle situations but that's a small part of this game and that does not qualify as being good. I'd call myself a decent FPS player and I do have the upper hand in lots of battle situations but I wasn't helping my team, I wasn't winning us the game, I wasn't getting any points -- I was basically just getting kills for my own satisfaction 95% of the time and then being 'good' means fuck all.

This is one of those games where they actually promote everything else. Plus, some "good" players are good with all the recoiless laser rifles and when you can bunny-jump-super-sprint all over the price, both of which isn't really the part of the feature set in this game.

So camping somewhere getting 1 point kills does not mean you're good.

Spookie said:
I don't even think it's that long. As long as you know where they are coming from and you can accept that sitting in a hole like a coward is acceptable behaviour everything else begins to fit in to place.

I agree it was even less for me, but once you get really good at the game, you tend to leave those holes and play the game more naturally.

As for objectives, press T a lot.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Spookie said:
As long as you know where they are coming from and you can accept that sitting in a hole like a coward is acceptable behaviour everything else begins to fit in to place.

This is so true. It should be in the game's tutorial.

When you get better, this is still true. It then makes knowing when to cower in a hole a skill.

FlyinJ said:
When you get better, this is still true. It then makes knowing when to cower in a hole a skill.

Haha no, while camping may be more deeply implemented in this game's design, mobility still trumps the hell out of it :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
So.... why is this still locked?

Heading to the Y in a few. Hopefully it'll be ready in a couple hours.

Spookie

scorpscarx said:
Haha no, while camping may be more deeply implemented in this game's design, mobility still trumps the hell out of it :p

Ha, I'd like to see you run parallel to me and make it in to the next trench. ;) :p

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Uriah said:
Restart Steam to get the game to unlock.
Yep

My beta disappeared but the full version didn't use the files, so another download for me. 5.9Megabytes a second though, so shouldn't be too long.

Druz

Sethos said:
Not really.

Yes, you may have an advantage when it comes to reflexes and actually being able to aim, yes you may have an advantage in quick battle situations but that's a small part of this game and that does not qualify as being good. I'd call myself a decent FPS player and I do have the upper hand in lots of battle situations but I wasn't helping my team, I wasn't winning us the game, I wasn't getting any points -- I was basically just getting kills for my own satisfaction 95% of the time and then being 'good' means fuck all.

This is one of those games where they actually promote everything else. Plus, some "good" players are good with all the recoiless laser rifles and when you can bunny-jump-super-sprint all over the price, both of which isn't really the part of the feature set in this game.

So camping somewhere getting 1 point kills does not mean you're good.

I snuck behind the German lines killing a few whenever they strayed from the pack, I eventually checked the tickets and both sides are at 0, yet now I am looking at the backs of 6 Germans and I take them all out before anyone knows what is going on and win us the game. I'd agree that aim and reflexes are not really important but situational awareness is and FPS vets will have it. (MW players excluded)

Sethos

Banned
Wanted to get a quick kill in before bed, every single server was empty :p

So just wanted to mark the launch of the retail with my first kill, seconds before the shot. shame it was a bot.

406707901.png

MJLord

Well no playing for me tonight due to me living with super slow download speeds :( and tomorrow night i have to work now due to the person covering it telling me last minute they cant do it at all :/

Corky

woooow....where does this game come off looking as amazing as it does? Just tried grain elevator for like 5min before bed and my word this is one sexy looking game. Bleak, but very sexy.

edit : also, the music is badass!

Card Boy

Banned
Dedryped but now i have another 2682.5meg chunk to download.

20 minutes left due to crappy Aussie Broadband at 1.4megabits that Steam caps at.

NinjaKixx

Banned
Bought this game blind. Never play any of the RO's before.

I used to play the Original Ghost Recon on PC from like 2001-2003 and have played nearly all the Rainbow 6's.

I built my 1st gaming PC since 2004 this past december and have been itching for a Tactical FPS. Cant wait.

Corky

BigJiantRobut said:
http://i.imgur.com/ii3Sv.png[/IMG

I launched the game and it recommended a defrag. Bwuh?[/QUOTE]

that happens me all the time, I just let it run doesn't take more than a few minutes if the HDD is defragged otherwise.

NIN90

Alt-Tab -> rogame.exe has stopped working

I'm dissapointed. This full release seems just as broken as the beta.

Also fuck em for lowering max FOV to 75.

Top Bottom