• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Dakota47

Atomski said:
Was bummed it didnt unlock before I left for work.. guess I did not miss much though. I never really understand Steams release times. Shouldn't stuff unlock at 12am pacific time?

Tripwire is probably still coding as we speak. I am guessing we got the retail version as a pre-load last night and the 2.6 gig update is the beta patched up to the version released yesterday.

demolitio

I guess I wasted a lot of time preloading last night for no reason...I demand compensation for my energy bill! :D

I guess I'll hopefully finish the preload by the time Sons of Anarchy ends tonight. So did the first preload actually count for anything or did they make people preload again and then a patch? I was asleep and missed part of it but I was getting conflicting info on the TW forums (shocker, lol). Sounds like there was just on big patch on top of the preload but the unlock time keeps getting pushed back?

Scythian

Yoshiro (Tripwire) said:
[TW]Yoshiro: The game hasn't been delayed at all. As we've mentioned multiple times before
[TW]Yoshiro: we are working on the game up until the last minute
[TW]Yoshiro: so there is no firm time other then today
[TW]Yoshiro: For some of you, that isn't the same today as everybody else
[TW]Yoshiro: all I can say to that is, move to a better time zone (especially ones without daylight savings, those suck)

So yeah, don't hold your breath.

So I was just pinned down by like 5 Germans outside of those windows in Station, I decided to do a suicide sprint straight at them, managed to stab 2 of them with the bayonet before the MG'ers could reload to shoot me and then I escaped through the windows. So good lol.

141k3lg.jpg

demolitio

scorpscarx said:
So I was just pinned down by like 5 Germans outside of those windows in Station, I decided to do a suicide sprint straight at them, managed to stab 2 of them with the bayonet before the MG'ers could reload to shoot me and then I escaped through the windows. So good lol.
You sound like my type of player. I love playing on Spartnovka and finding the gaps in the enemy's line and then managing to sneak into their main building where there's always like 10 guys sitting up top looking out windows so I do a charge in there and kill as many as I can before I die. I shot 6 people with my bolt action before climbing through the window where I bayoneted two guys as their buddy kept trying to shoot me so I bolted upstairs and took another 2 with me before that guy caught up with me.

Now that's my gentle approach. When I know I'm sure to die as soon as I turn the corner and enter their hideout, I pull the pin on a grenade and just run in there and try to get both nades off before I die with the last one being in my hand as they kill me and try to loot my body. I know I'll die before my nade goes off so I want to take as many people with me as I can and it always ends in glory with the enemy's usually laughing their asses off while they wait to respawn. I usually play pretty smart but I'm still a rusher at heart and I love to do absurd shit no one sees coming so even in a slower game like this, I manage to pull of something you wouldn't expect to see in a more realistic shooter.

3:34 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: Ahh the trolls are out in force today. And people who are trying to blow this out of porportion

3:34 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: No, I don't hate europeans. But when we announce a day, it is within our time zone. That is how we have always worked, and will continue to work
3:35 pm - [TW]Yoshiro: Ask the Austrialians how they feel. They always get shafted by the day

Great! This guy really knows how to care about costumers.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Set the launch date to the 14th at for a Midnight launch, you spend all of the 13th working on it and release it whenever. People are then happy at an 'early' release, but instead they do this nonsense.

Dakota47

Llyranor said:
Here's some Soviet (or is it anti-Soviet?) war-time music to help the wait. Shostakovich's 7th Symphony was dedicated to the city of Leningrad during its siege (wrong siege, I know!). This is what I listen to when I play RO2 :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdh8fUkA5uc

It is 'Soviet' music. Which isn't a bad thing entirely. Peter & the Wolf was composed by a 'Soviet' composer and that piece is the best way to get into classical music. This is a great version, narrated by David Bowie.

Also, Shostakovich' seventh wasn't really composed for the Leningrad siege. It had been announced even before the Germans had invaded the USSR and Shostakovich supposedly stated that isn't "only about fascism but about our country and generally about all tyranny and totalitarianism". Not that it really matters though. It is a beautiful symphony and the myth surrounding it only adds to its reputation.

Druz

Pisuke1983 said:
Great! This guy really knows how to care about costumers.

Or maybe the customers are big fat crybabies that aren't working on a game about to launch. The game can only get better as they work on it so fucking sit tight.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Druz said:
Or maybe the customers are big fat crybabies that aren't working on a game about to launch. The game can only get better as they work on it so fucking sit tight.

Fuck all these entitled "gamers." You make me sick.

Amneisac

Druz said:

Deputy community manager?

GJS

[TW]Yoshiro: Ok
[TW]Yoshiro: news from the front
[TW]Yoshiro: We have uploaded the final files to valve
[TW]Yoshiro: Release should be soon (+ or - valve time)
After all that..

demolitio

I want the game but could not care less about the launch time. I care more about the fact that they continue to wait until people find these things out for themselves and that's when they post a message about it instead of stopping the confusion early on and warning people that this was going to happen. Instead, people wake up or come home to find out that they're still downloading and that the unlock time keeps getting pushed back a few hours at a time. Then they act like we should have known this all along and are just being impatient when really it's confusion more than anything else.

I guess they didn't know when it'd be finished up and the time they'd release it, but I'm sure they knew ahead of time that the original unlock time and preload weren't going to work out. I'm not pissed at all although this should have been explained before people started questioning everything.

Let's just hope for a stable release more than anything else. The last beta patch wasn't too bad at all for me in terms of bugs popping up during gameplay.

ACE 1991 said:
So how do you expect this to game to fair critically, out of curiousity?

Given how modern day reviewers are in terms of reviewing hardcore games that require a little time and effort...Probably not as good as it deserves. Look at every hard game in the past few years and how the mainstream reviewers treat them and you'll get an idea. Add in the fact that it's PC only and has a steep learning curve and I think the scores will be really SUBJECTIVE as to how each reviewer plays individually.

Fair play to the guy for trying to keep a community informed on the status of the release. Only, he goes on to complain about trolls, to then troll part of the community for living in a different timezone? Well... he deserves all the aggro he gets after that. Not really going to diffuse anything there.

demolitio said:
I want the game but could not care less about the launch time

Dakota47

Ikuu said:
I can't find a server that is letting me download the 2.6GB update.

Give it time, the download will recommence. It did for me a couple of minutes ago. Still lousy speeds but it is better than 0.0 kb/s.

Llyranor

Dakota47 said:
It is 'Soviet' music. Which isn't a bad thing entirely. Peter & the Wolf was composed by a 'Soviet' composer and that piece is the best way to get into classical music. This is a great version, narrated by David Bowie.

Also, Shostakovich' seventh wasn't really composed for the Leningrad siege. It had been announced even before the Germans had invaded the USSR and Shostakovich supposedly stated that isn't "only about fascism but about our country and generally about all tyranny and totalitarianism". Not that it really matters though. It is a beautiful symphony and the myth surrounding it only adds to its reputation.
If you read between the lines, that sounds pretty anti-Stalin, especially considering the composer's history.

ACE 1991 said:
So how do you expect this to game to fair critically, out of curiousity?
Pretty mediocre since you need time and skill to get good at it. This will just frustrate the hell out of the average reviewer who sucks at games and was brought up with the "modern" FPS mindset.

Ikuu said:
I can't find a server that is letting me download the 2.6GB update.
DLing just fine here (Germany).

Dakota47

Ramm-Jaeger said:
Red Orchestra 2 Release - Final Thoughts From A Dev

9 years ago a group of internet friends got together to create something unique - a WWII shooter that was different than anything else that was out there. The Red Orchestra mod was ahead of it's time with several features that were cutting edge/first of their kind that are either now standard in most shooters (like 3d ironsights, etc) or have yet to be matched (3d scopes, etc).

In 2005 this group of friends got together and started a company to make a retail game out of the mod that they created. This game, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 once again set a new standard for tactical shooters. But created on an extremely limited budget and with no marketing funds there was a limit to what the team could achieve.

In 2006 the team set out to make the WWII game that they always wanted Red Orchestra to be. Over the next 5 years there were many ups and downs in the development of the game (chasing publishers for funding who were only interested in console, etc). In 2009 with the release of Killing Floor Tripwire was finally in the position to staff up and complete Red Orchestra 2.

Now in 2011 we are finally read to unleash our WWII masterpiece on the world. The game is of course not perfect (what game is), and many beloved features had to be cut along the way to ensure the game would ever get finished. But I think when the dust clears everyone will see that once again this team, founded out of a group of simple gaming fans just like all of you, has raised the bar for all of the other shooter developers out there in terms of features and gameplay.

I sincerely hope that all of you enjoy the game as much as we do. Sure there will be issues, but you all know Tripwire and anything we missed before shipping, we'll fix just as soon as possible. And speaking of Tripwire traditions, we have some AWESOME free content and updates planned for RO2.

So today it begins, another long ride with a Tripwire game. Sit down, buckle up, lock and load, and enjoy the ride!!!

I love devs like these.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice. Sounds like they put a lot of love into this game. I've only put a few hours into RO1 but Tripwire won me over with Killing Floor. Can't wait to jump into this tonight. :)

R1CHO

Snuggler said:
I've only put a few hours into RO1 but Tripwire won me over with Killing Floor.

Yeah, more or less same here. And not just because the game, maybe more important to me the postlaunch support.

Its the only game i bought cosmetics dlc for... and it was of corse to give thanks to Tripware for their free content.

R1CHO said:
Its the only game i bought cosmetics dlc for... and it was of corse to give thanks to Tripware for their free content.

Slander and lies, you know damn well you did it for the steampunk and more importantly, RO2 German and Russian skins, they are so sexy!

Anyway demolitio, this game definitely rewards risk correctly. IE you can survive gloriously by doing something awesome, rather than instantly get shot right after the fact ala COD.

I also truly enjoy the clean, sharp look of the architecture in this game, they also nailed the subtle coloring.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I want to buy it just because gunplay in Killing Floor was superior to everything I have experienced on PC and consoles.

Sethos

Banned
subversus said:
I want to buy it just because gunplay in Killing Floor was superior to everything I has experienced on PC and consoles.

Same goes for this game. The feeling of putting that one perfect round into someone and just seeing that bleed out animation play, as he puts a hand to his stomach and just slowly crumbles and the uncertainty it gives you -- Is he dead, will he shoot back? Then you take another shot and he finally drops like a sack of potatoes.

Oh the feeling ...

demolitio

Sethos said:
Same goes for this game. The feeling of putting that one perfect round into someone and just seeing that bleed out animation play, as he puts a hand to his stomach and just slowly crumbles and the uncertainty it gives you -- Is he dead, will he shoot back? Then you take another shot and he finally drops like a sack of potatoes.

Oh the feeling ...
That is where Tripwire is leagues above any other developer even with their extremely small dev team compared to most studios. The guns feel like really gun with some power to them and if you're right on sight of an enemy, you can count on that enemy to be dead or soon to be dead with glorious effects to let you know you shot them. The anti-tank rifle is the most fun I've ever had with a gun in a game because of how it penetrates damn near every wall in the game and it turns the enemy into a cloud of red mist.

That's another great thing about the game. The ballistic aren't faked and you really need to lead your target and know what size round you're firing so you know if you can kill that guy behind a brick wall or if it will just give your position away. So many games say they have bullet penetration when they only use it for fucking wood or sheet metal fences. There's nothing you can do when you know a guy is hiding inside a house in most games except for throwing a grenade. In this game, your rifle can go right through that wall and it leaves you with no feeling of safety no matter where you're at. And if you can't kill the guy because he's behind two walls and all you see is his gun, well then you get someone with an MG or anti-tank rifle and start shooting every inch of the wall until you hear the bastard scream.

So satisfying. Even being the commander and killing 10 guys with a mortar strike is extremely satisfying...

Spookie

"has raised the bar for all of the other shooter developers out there in terms of features and gameplay."

They could have done with taking some lessons on presentation and how to create a UI for a game being released in 2011.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
demolitio said:
That is where Tripwire is leagues above any other developer even with their extremely small dev team compared to most studios. The guns feel like really gun with some power to them and if you're right on sight of an enemy, you can count on that enemy to be dead or soon to be dead with glorious effects to let you know you shot them. The anti-tank rifle is the most fun I've ever had with a gun in a game because of how it penetrates damn near every wall in the game and it turns the enemy into a cloud of red mist.

That's another great thing about the game. The ballistic aren't faked and you really need to lead your target and know what size round you're firing so you know if you can kill that guy behind a brick wall or if it will just give your position away. So many games say they have bullet penetration when they only use it for fucking wood or sheet metal fences. There's nothing you can do when you know a guy is hiding inside a house in most games except for throwing a grenade. In this game, your rifle can go right through that wall and it leaves you with no feeling of safety no matter where you're at. And if you can't kill the guy because he's behind two walls and all you see is his gun, well then you get someone with an MG or anti-tank rifle and start shooting every inch of the wall until you hear the bastard scream.

So satisfying. Even being the commander and killing 10 guys with a mortar strike is extremely satisfying...

fuck it, I'm buying it...

Sethos

Banned
demolitio said:

Exactly. Everything they've done is just tweaked to perfection. From the sounds, the kick, the hit detection and even down to the gruesome animations of your kills. I can't believe games like this even exist - With all the shit being pumped out by major developers, I was starting to think these kind of games just weren't possible, something with this kind of gunplay and kill satisfaction.

What does bother me is the complains about the game, "Oh this is wrong, that bug is there, the UI, that animation is a bit iffy" fuck me, this is one of the least bugged games I've played in years. Major games seem to have 10x the bugs and roughness on release -- This is all based on playing the Beta! Perhaps that's just me but it does seem like they get no slack whatsoever for even the tiniest stuff when I've sat around in major AAA titles getting weapon abused, map glitched to hell and use of insane exploits and then people jump down the throat of this.

I'm with you Sethos, it really bothers me, I think that it all boils down to the effects of long term marketing on teenagers :p

Plus the fact that people tend to criticize unfamiliar things much harder than familiar ones.

So whats the deal with the download? I got about 50% done last night, and now I'm reading about needing to redownload it. Should I just let it finish, and I'll then have a further 2.6GB patch?

Top Bottom