• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feel bad for my roommate and his girlfriend. They are heading out to San Francisco from here in VA and their flight just got delayed in Chicago because of this storm. Looks like they might have to wait a while.

jeremy1456

Yeah. I'm much farther north of the Bay Area (Humboldt county CA) and I don't think I've ever seen it this windy here before.

Rain on and off.

So far it doesn't seem too bad in Dublin, waiting for more rain to fall though. Regardless, not taking any chances and working from home.

Heavy wind and a decent amount of rain overnight here in SF. I saw some localized flooding at the usual spots (low intersections and the like) on the way into work, but overall it just looks like any day where we get a lot of rain. Have to imagine if this keeps up for the next 6-8 hours, we'll have some more significant problems.

My backyard is saturated and my drains can't remove the rain fast enough and the wind is sideways in the North Bay.
As I said before, the schools in the area are closed today. We just got a flood warning too.

North Bay expecting 5-7 inches with spots that may get up to 12.

Rain has finally came in with some moderate wind. Doesn't look that bad, but this is the first time in a while that I have seen trees actually have some sway.

Swamped

Banned
I'm in the east bay...the rain sounds so angry and as if it will never stop. Still bundled up in bed, but on an ordinary day I'd be ready to leave for work already. I'll just "work from home" lol.

Came into work early to avoid driving in rainy weather. There was light rain on the way up from Campbell to Sunnyvale. It's still too early to say how the storm will affect today's office attendance, but both my managers have notified us in advance they'll be working from home due to the storm. In Sunnyvale there's light rain.

Dazzler

It's been unseasonably warm up in Vancouver/Seattle the last few days

SeaTac recorded its warmest ever December temperature yesterday (66)

Been getting lashed by wind and rain, but in between it's been balmy

Dalek

Lots of wind and rain in CV but nothing too scary as of yet. I'm working now, and my daughter who has the day off from school is starting a Home Alone marathon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just let up a bit in Santa Rosa. It's been harsh for the last few hours. Thinking about going for a jog around the lake before it gets flooded.

I'm in San Jose. I went to bed around 1:30 last night and was wondering "where's the storm?" I woke up this morning wondering the same thing. Got out earlier than usual to get to work to avoid traffic, and now there's finally some rain and I've seen one sign blown over. It'll be curious to see if out Internet lasts since we have some sort of Internet beamed to us that requires line of sight. I'm sure the wind and rain will interfere with that.

Hmmm.. Still debating whether or not to come into work today. To my surprise, the 880 seems to be totally devoid of traffic, but a 50 mile commute in this weather is going to be a trek, regardless...

Talka

No power at home, and no power at the office.

Guess I stay home and nap. I wonder where I can get some breakfast... no food in the house and my usual breakfast places closed shop.

Edit: I'm in San Francisco. Home is North Beach, office is FiDi. Property management says there was an underground PGE explosion. Don't know who all that affects, but I won't be getting much done today.

Picture from on 280:

VMgD29d.jpg

Verger

Banned
NWSBayArea
@NWSBayArea
Radar update - appears the main area of very heavy rain is slowing - this may lead to even heavier rain amounts. #BayAreaStorm

that's no good

Wow where on 280 is this?

Looks like the southbound portion of it going to Daly City.

-----------------------------------------------

My commute to work today wasn't as bad. The bus wasn't crowded, just walking there was hell with rain and wind.

Basically all the street lights on Bush from Masonic to Montgomery were out which made the ride average, lol

Surprised the office has power since everything above Market was basically without power when I walked past it.

You guys in NorCal stop hogging all the water and let SoCal get in on the party! Waiting patiently down here, grey skies but not a drop yet.

On a more serious note, it's looking pretty intense up there. Hope you guys are doing okay. The roads must be totally wrecked, is everyone just putting life on hold today or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom