• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

You guys in NorCal stop hogging all the water and let SoCal get in on the party! Waiting patiently down here, grey skies but not a drop yet.

On a more serious note, it's looking pretty intense up there. Hope you guys are doing okay. The roads must be totally wrecked, is everyone just putting life on hold today or what?

We'll get it eventually piped down.
Either way out in Ventura County atm and it's already heavily heavily overcast looking like rain real soon.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Emergency alerts for iOS just popped up on every device I have

gwarm01

On a positive note, you guys seem to be getting a fair amount of rain lately. I wonder if this will have much of an impact on the drought? It will be interesting to see comparison shots afterwards of that dried up lake that you periodically see posted.

On a positive note, you guys seem to be getting a fair amount of rain lately. I wonder if this will have much of an impact on the drought? It will be interesting to see comparison shots afterwards of that dried up lake that you periodically see posted.

We need about two or three heavy winters to get back up to normal levels.

Had no idea my Bart train was delayed as much as it was this morning. Normally my train (leaving Dublin/Pleasanton) leaves around 7:30 and arrives at Embarcadero around 8:15 or so.

Today? It arrived around 8:45ish at Embarcadero. Also lots of traffic on the streets due to power outages while the wind was definitely blowing when I left home.

Fun times.

v1lla21

safe drive to work from North to South San Jose on 101 this morning. It doesn't seem to be much trouble right now except for the wind speed. Storm is picking up though.

As I typed this, I got the Flash Flood warning on my phone.

Nafai1123

Banned
Well the roads were clear this morning driving down 101s towards Marin. I'm scared I won't be able to get home tonight because it was already starting to flood. Will be fucking PISSED if I went to work today only to be stuck down here.

Fjordson

Super easy drive in to work today (South Bay). I guess everyone decided to stay home.
Same. It was bad at my house in San Jose, but coming down to Morgan Hill was pretty calm. Freeway was half empty and there's nothing down here save for some light wind.

Just hope tonight isn't too nasty going back home.

ezekial45

Banned
An extremely large tree near my house in Daly City got knocked over. There were about 20 or so responders trying to clear the damage.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Eh, mild thunderstorm rain, nothing serious. Must be worse around Daly City though if they're getting that sort of flooding.

This is MV. Lots of spots in parking lots already flooded and some of the turns as well are getting there fast. And the bad stuff hasn't started yet. I'm referencing of course just being able to drive, not necessarily flooding that will endanger homes hopefully. Really questioning how/when I'm going to get home but ah well. I lived in NY/NJ for seven years and we flooded all the time (including once our entire basement apartment) so I'm a pro at it. :p

Some science behind this particular storm.

What Is This “Atmospheric River” That Is Flooding California?
An atmospheric river is a conveyor belt of vapor that extends thousands of miles from out at sea, carrying as much water as 15 Mississippi Rivers. It strikes as a series of storms that arrive for days or weeks on end. Each storm can dump inches of rain or feet of snow. Meteorologists sometimes call small occurrences “pineapple expresses,” because they tend to flow in a straight line from around Hawaii toward the U.S. West Coast.

I know this one has been called a "pineapple express" so FUUUUU if there's a chance we could see a bigger version.

v1lla21

Fuck, this got me.

11tFTvG.jpg

simplayer

This is MV. Lots of spots in parking lots already flooded and some of the turns as well are getting there fast. And the bad stuff hasn't started yet. I'm referencing of course just being able to drive, not necessarily flooding that will endanger homes hopefully. Really questioning how/when I'm going to get home but ah well. I lived in NY/NJ for seven years and we flooded all the time (including once our entire basement apartment) so I'm a pro at it. :p

Ya, this area doesn't seem that prepared for rain, so it is flooding quite easily compared to back east.

Hopefully it doesn't flood too much today.

Verger

Banned
Rain is still falling and it sounds like Storm Drains are beginning to back up under the pressure in SF. Power still out for most of the north city.
B4l8VLpCAAARtEQ.png:large

got from Stockton to San Jose this morning in about 1.5 hours, no traffic and no rain on the way. Right now, it's pouring. I imagine the commute back will be hell.

see5harp

Seems like a few people just stayed home today, but really in sac it's barely raining. Honestly, I walk my dog in this type of rain.

SoCal storm drains just wash out to the ocean, no?
Coastal ones do (hence why they warn surfers about surfing right after as rain - as in don't) but there's still the limit to how much water it can push out. If this storm goes slow and hard, you'll see some major flooding down here too.

---

I know some people here on GAF are weather buffs. I'm a casual but enthusiastic observer of weather phenomena. So I'm curious... I know we're still standing at a 65% chance of an El Niño this winter (saw Japan went ahead and declared it though). Are storms like these independent of what we expect of El Niño or are they tied? Or do we just not know because they're too spread out?

Absolutely lovely here, besides the fact that there will be tree branches falling onto cars all day today.

Heavy winds and rain. It's glorious.

studyguy

I know some people here on GAF are weather buffs. I'm a casual but enthusiastic observer of weather phenomena. So I'm curious... I know we're still standing at a 65% chance of an El Niño this winter (saw Japan went ahead and declared it though). Are storms like these independent of what we expect of El Niño or are they tied? Or do we just not know because they're too spread out?

It might be indicative of an El Nino pattern forming, but nothing seems concrete atm. I hope it does whip up more storms, all signs point to an incredibly weak El Nino this year as far as impacting California weather patterns.

Super easy drive in to work today (South Bay). I guess everyone decided to stay home.

I think maybe 20 out of the 80 people who are usually in my office in Downtown San Jose made it in. I want to make fun of everyone but they're not here to be mocked!

The storm is super mild down here so far (what back East I would have considered moderate rain, and almost no wind) but some of the main streets already have some pretty significant standing water. :/

yayaba

Typing this bundled in bed. Glorious. Most people at my office are WFH. Internet is down anyway so no point in me going.

Rain and wind was insane around 8am though. I've only seen storms like this in the south and there you have to worry about tornados.

Pandacon

Work in South SF, parked on the street, about 20 mins later get a flash flood alert on my phone, coworker tells me I should move my car, water is a little over 1.5 feet deep, move my car, passenger side is flooded a bit.

Though overall, I've seen in rain this much in SF many times in the past, so it doesn't seem too unusual to me.

Oh, also, traffic was light for me coming into work, though I hear schools are closed. Dunno if its holidays or what, don't really keep up with what schools do.

Syriel

SF got about an inch of rain last night.

SJ got less than a quarter inch overnight.

Oh, also, traffic was light for me coming into work, though I hear schools are closed. Dunno if its holidays or what, don't really keep up with what schools do.

They closed because it was raining.

Verger

Banned
It definitely feels like this storm wasn't all that compared to the hype (figures, that always happens it seems). I didn't get the wind that they were thinking would happen and the rainfall totals so far aren't looking out of the ordinary

Verger

Banned
Blame the meteorologists for hyping things up that never materialize as usual.

Honestly, the storms that occur which come out of nowhere are the ones that are worst. Whenever something is hyped up a week in advance like this one was it almost always never materializes as they predicted.

It might be indicative of an El Nino pattern forming, but nothing seems concrete atm. I hope it does whip up more storms, all signs point to an incredibly weak El Nino this year as far as impacting California weather patterns.
This article I saw off to the side of that one sets up quite the game of dominos too.

I hate to sound excited about it but it's fascinating when things start to pull out of a lull and create multiple possibilities for a chain reaction. I can't help but to imagine meteorologists taking side bets for some of these things - not that you want bad things to happen but it's a horse race you can't fix. You can only attempt to predict and inform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom