• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Book of Boba Fett |OT| Sarlaac Spit-Up

I'll just repost my thoughts from another forum on this:

Going into this I was concerned that only 7 episodes wouldn't be enough to really flesh out a story but what I didn't anticipate is that there was no fucking story to begin with.

This show is all fat and no meat, so much so that one of the seven episodes is the Mandalorian season 3 opener with the title character not even making an appearance. And even this episode had tons of fat on it. Did we really entire minutes worth of made up shop talk between Mando and K-Mart Francis McDormand? I'm so glad that there 30 minutes dedicated to them building a ship (complete with a carburetor air cleaner popping out of the hood, BECAUSE HOW WOULD YOU KNOW ITS FAST IF IT DOESNT HAVE MUSCLE CAR STUFF ON IT HURR HURR HURRR) that doesn't make any sense for a bounty hunter.

Even if they nail the landing in the last two episodes (I dont even know what that would look like since THERE'S NO FUCKING STORY HERE) the first 5 episodes have almost all been filler garbage (or EP5 being entirely to set up a different show). I'm sure morons will cheer at Boba riding a rancor in the finale but there is no set up to actually pay off here. The only thing I can think that would redeem this show is that he has been acting like he's passive only to position his enemies and then turns into a ruthless bastard and lays waste to them all; even this would feel somewhat hollow though since there doesnt appear to be any bread crumbs left in the existing episodes to suggest this is coming and chances of Disney allowing this are slim to nil.

This just feels so misguided that its almost impressive. All I wanted was a spaghetti western in space and what we got is....well, I don't really know.

I will just add that the people saying that this was "an amazing episode" baffle me. It was front loaded with exposition. I was half expecting the armorer to pull a
got-it-everybody-got-that.gif

then the back half was nothing but fluff and fan service.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll just repost my thoughts from another forum on this:

***trimmed****

then the back half was nothing but fluff and fan service.
I agreee with your points, but I think for most of us the Star Wars bar is set so low that even just a few "cool" scenes will suffice, even if the surrounding stuff is junk. Mando learning the Darksaber, the revelation that Jawas are "furry", first time seeing a womp rat (am i right on this?) and beggars canyon, the exhilarating spin around Mos Eisley. It's fan service but that's about what I want from this show since it is just a side quest anyway, we all know nothing revelatory is gonna happen on a D+ show.

I figured those N1 ship parts were being jacked from Obi Wan's old, abandoned garage [kept as a memento of Anakin], as a way to tie into that show, but didn't look like they made even an oblique reference during the rebuild or X-wing "transponder code" scenes. Too bad, 'cause we all know everyone in Star Wars knows each other. I wonder if they initially wanted to use a Delta-7 jedi starfighter like what Obi Wan flew in AOTC because IIRC THOSE ships required the docking ring, not the N1. Who knows?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Beals won the war on time though. Grey got that nose job and it killed her career, she was even on a short lived sitcom as herself and they mocked it.

I believe these are both relatively recent pics. These ladies were born 2 years apart.

8sJ1ghM.jpg
7wX2Pga.jpg

My kids hated the episode I was cool with it.

A star fighter seems impractical for carrying gear and bounties. Couldn’t even where his jet pack.
42d038566b6be724be7d53cc613ce42292698b8b_hq.jpg

Yeah, there isn't even a trunk traditionally in this thing lol. I guess you just put your stuff where the astromech used to sit? It's possible Mando could pick up a bigger ship later, and this thing just docks inside it......but my god right now Star Wars is a complete joke.

sol_bad

The choice to have a space bus go from the ring (which was AWESOME) to Tatooine was another bad call though, makes the galaxy seem even smaller. I don't think we've ever really seen a starliner like that before and making it feel like a bus/plane instead of a train with sleeping compartments was a wrong choice IMHO.

Anakin and Padme did take a commercial flight from Coruscant to Naboo, I don't think it was a "bus" but it was definitely a commercial flight.

This episode was a lot of fun to watch, but it wasn't a Boba Fett episode.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The Naboo starfighter was always one of the worst designed/ugliest ships in Star Wars, why the hell did they use that.
Not as stupid as the Vespa speeder bikes, but man what are they thinking with this crap.
Really?

It's actually one of my favorite prequel shios but I like a lot of the ship designs and especially locations in the prequels.

It's one thing I really loved about the prequels was the sleek, high tech design of everything. I miss that in the new Star Wars because it's back to the "lived in" look.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
The special FX in the N1 flight test scenes were goddamn incredible. The frontal scene of the N1 flying above Mos Eisley was … whew.

And the Halo looked phenomenal as well. Good to see a setting that’s fresh and not eye-rollingly lame (as did every planet or setting in the sequel trilogy) or just Tatooine ad nauseum.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’ll take it how I get it ! Maybe the rest is good ! And they had a hard time making this show , we are only human .
My theory is that they realized they didn’t have enough content to fill 7 episodes and retconned a bunch of filler. How many times can Boba and Fenneck suit up and walk through downtown Mos Espa, pop info Flashdance girl’s bar, get their helmets cleaned and then go the Mayor’s set immediately next door? It’s like same take different angle every damn episode. The Tusken stuff was all at least a cohesive narrative. Fingers crossed the rest of the series is on track with a propelled plot.

Last edited:

NickFire

42d038566b6be724be7d53cc613ce42292698b8b_hq.jpg

Yeah, there isn't even a trunk traditionally in this thing lol. I guess you just put your stuff where the astromech used to sit? It's possible Mando could pick up a bigger ship later, and this thing just docks inside it......but my god right now Star Wars is a complete joke.
Don't be giving away Baby Yoda's seat to some filthy bounty or plain old gear.

Also, is bounty hunting going to be a big deal in Mado S3? It looks to me like we are going to Madalore that season.

MrMephistoX

IMHO any plot about retaking mandalore should be major film material. They are FUCKING themselves if they do this for TV.
I don’t think it would sell as well on the big screen tbh because the biggest knock against Star Wars is that it seems esoteric and you need to have watched all the films to get the references: going from zero to wtf is mandalore is a stretch for most filmgoers. I’d personally love to see it if John Favreau directed with a Marvel sized budget though but Star Wars is actually kind of better as a serial until they figure out wft to do with it in a post imperial era. They already played the its not the empire not stormtroopers but yeah it’s the Death Star but not really trope once and look how that turned out.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I don’t think it would sell as well on the big screen tbh because the biggest knock against Star Wars is that it seems esoteric and you need to have watched all the films to get the references: going from zero to wtf is mandalore is a stretch for most filmgoers.
Yea they can't make a movie that requires people to have watched a good portion of The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mandalorian to get what's going on. The movie will sell to that audience, not the mass public. Look at Serenity. It was a Firefly movie that was basically the series finale to the show and it only sold to fans of the show and no one else.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yea they can't make a movie that requires people to have watched a good portion of The Clone Wars, Rebels, and Mandalorian to get what's going on. The movie will sell to that audience, not the mass public. Look at Serenity. It was a Firefly movie that was basically the series finale to the show and it only sold to fans of the show and no one else.
I don't think its that hard.

"A planet FULL of Boba Fetts!"

Up until Book of Fett, that's ALL THEY HAD TO SAY. Mandalore isn't complex, esoteric, or hard to explain. Any film could lay it out in the first 30 minutes between a few space fights and a brawl or two. Heck, Star Wars can just do it with the opening crawl (if they bring it back for non mainline films) and make it AN ADVENTURE FILM with all of the heavy mandalore politics in the background. Just the idea that the Darksaber, if won through a specific combat ritual, gives you control of a warrior planet is enough I think.

I would have had Mandalore ships show up at the end of a truncated Rise of Skywalker. Have Rey and Kylo duel and fight to stalemate with mutual respect, cut out all the emperor reborn shit, and end with a Mandalorian fleet show up and attack the inner planets. Rey and Kylo team up to fight them with the remnants of the New Order under Kylo and the Resistance under Rey. Boom bada bing.

But now they gotta squeeze all this mandalorian stuff BETWEEN ROTJ and TFA, so what happens to this planet in the ST era? They all dead? Isolationist? Fucked off on a jihad of their own?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The special FX in the N1 flight test scenes were goddamn incredible. The frontal scene of the N1 flying above Mos Eisley was … whew.

And the Halo looked phenomenal as well. Good to see a setting that’s fresh and not eye-rollingly lame (as did every planet or setting in the sequel trilogy) or just Tatooine ad nauseum.
This right here, my dude.

I kinda chuckled because it was like a city-wide Halo ring but who am I to kid, that was awesome and like you said, fresh.

The only part I didn't like was the meat locker. It looked way too much like a normal Earth meat locker to me in as some restaurants. Other than that, everything following that was great. It was like I was watching a whole different show.

Also as a fan of the prequels, I shat myself with the Naboo Starfighter but also appreciated the Jedi Fallen Order Droid type showing up.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

You understand IMDB can be edited by anyone, right?
Surely there must be some checks in that place, otherwise don't you think trolls would vandalise IMDB into oblivion?

And considering how well Mando S2 end was received, don't you think they'll try to replicate it again?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Surely there must be some checks in that place, otherwise don't you think trolls would vandalise IMDB into oblivion?
There are no checks at all. Anyone can edit IMDB or add themselves to a movie. That’s why whenever there’s a new Star Wars movie you see all these no-name actors appear in the credits as unnamed Jedi.

Ulysses 31

There are no checks at all. Anyone can edit IMDB or add themselves to a movie. That’s why whenever there’s a new Star Wars movie you see all these no-name actors appear in the credits as unnamed Jedi.
That's a bit unsettling and surprising that is hasn't been abused more openly.

Even you linked a tweet about a surprise in chapter 7 earlier so considering Mando S2, this rumor doesn't seem totally off base.

ManaByte

That's a bit unsettling and surprising that is hasn't been abused more openly.

Even you linked a tweet about a surprise in chapter 7 earlier so considering Mando S2, this rumor doesn't seem totally off base.

The rumor has always been that someone goes to Maz's and sees Grogu there with Luke and Han sitting in a booth or something. But if that were to happen it makes more sense for it to be in episode 6 instead of 7. And even then I doubt that's what Morrison was talking about for the final episode.

AJUMP23

I like it. Perfect excuse to bring Baby Yoda back would be turning Mando back to light side of force. Until then, a full season of severed limbs.
Mando is not a force user. He is Force Ambivalent. Grogu was killed by Kylo Ren at some point.

Top Bottom