• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

PhaseJump

Banned
and it's playable on steam deck
what a time to be alive

Playable is probably debatable. The other games run like absolute shit on Deck. XC2 is broken. Slow as hell and tons of graphical issues in the background.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The intro to this game is god damned ridiculous. . .and long. Very long. I'm not sure what they were going for with that. It does set the lore of the world up (getting real
Never Let Me Go and Logan's Run
vibes here) but Jesus, tell me about to watch anime episode or something before I sit down with dinner going in the kitchen.

. . .as for the game itself, looks wise this would probably be insane on a PC or something with stronger hardware. Just from the cutscenes themselves you can see what kind of game MS would make aesthetically without the limitations of the SWITCH (or Wii/U). For sure better looking than XC2, but boy if there was ever a game that was begging for anti-aliasing.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The intro to this game is god damned ridiculous. . .and long. Very long. I'm not sure what they were going for with that. It does set the lore of the world up (getting real
Never Let Me Go and Logan's Run
vibes here) but Jesus, tell me about to watch anime episode or something before I sit down with dinner going in the kitchen.

. . .as for the game itself, looks wise this would probably be insane on a PC or something with stronger hardware. Just from the cutscenes themselves you can see what kind of game MS would make aesthetically without the limitations of the SWITCH (or Wii/U). For sure better looking than XC2, but boy if there was ever a game that was begging for anti-aliasing.
It and 2 will likely get remasters or remakes on the next Nintendo console.

Ulysses 31

Hell I would rebuy those games lol
Did you also buy the figures, like me :messenger_winking_tongue:?

iu

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Another nice interview. Some quotes I like from the it:

Takahashi: Yes. I think we reproduced the facial expressions and hair very accurately. In particular, I think you can tell that a lot of effort went into creating the hair. We used special shaders (5), and there were some scenes where the characters would have looked jagged and noisy if it were done normally, so both the designers and programmers made a lot of adjustments. I remember that it was a very challenging process.
Kojima: Before Mitsuda-san started writing the music, he said, "Let's make flutes." I wondered why we should be making them, but Mitsuda-san said, "By making the flutes from scratch, you can create a sound that hasn't been heard before." Since we had told Mitsuda-san in advance that Takahashi-san wanted to interweave the two melodies of Noah and Mio into a single piece of music, Mitsuda-san seemed to have thought that creating the flutes from scratch would enable him to choose a scale freely and express himself more easily. Above all, he said to me that the fact that the same flutes used in the game exist in real life would be compelling and unique. It sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a try.
Yokota: We have around 140 musical tracks in this title, including short jingles.
Kojima: One hundred and forty musical tracks in a game is extraordinary, right? (Laughs)
Takahashi: But I feel it was still not enough. I wanted at least 15 more.
Kojima: Absolutely. This title is one of the culminations of our efforts, and I feel that from the next title onward, we can aim to create highly immersive works that seamlessly connect any scenes from any kind of situation.

NanaMiku

Tomorrow is the day!
Quote that I like:
Kojima: Well, yes... That's right. (Laughs) Come to think of it, we were just talking about this yesterday in the office. That the world would be crazy big for this title. So I actually did the math, and it turns out that the total walkable area in this game is over five times larger than in the second title. It was like... "Yikes!" (Laughs)
Takahashi: Also, having to express huge colonies called Ferronis and having "Ouroboros"—characters five to six meters tall—battle simultaneously required a certain amount of space.
Yokota: Ferronis are really huge, so I hope players will gaze up at them when they're out exploring. Sometimes I wonder where the Ferronis is, and I look up and always think, "Wow! It's so huge!” It still surprises me. (Laughs)
Takahashi: We have also placed many things for players to discover during detours, and you can immerse yourself in the world of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 even further by experiencing these things.
Yokota: ...Both the main story and detours are highly recommended! (Laughs)
There is also an auto-battle function available during most battles in which the currently selected character automatically attacks during battle, so please utilize it whenever you're finding a battle tough.
Kojima: I really recommend the story. So far, we have made the first, second, and third titles, but I feel that this is the story where we could best achieve what Takahashi-san wanted to do, so I hope you will try it.
Takahashi: We have talked about this title in terms of it being the "culmination," "closure," or "summary," but it has been approximately 15 years since we began development on the Xenoblade Chronicles series. I feel that this game represents everything we have done so far and is filled with answers to all our questions. At the same time, we have taken on a variety of new challenges in this work, and I believe that we were able to implicitly share a glimpse of what MONOLITHSOFT wants to achieve in the future. I think imagining what MONOLITHSOFT’s future games will look like while playing this title would be another way to enjoy it.
Yokota: This is something to consider after you have played this game, but we are offering an additional Expansion Pass (13). We will be adding a new story at the end of the Expansion Pass, and we are thinking of making its volume of content as large as Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna – The Golden Country.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've got a couple of days off work starting tomorrow, and I'm planning on curling up with this game. My copy just shipped from Amazon, hoping it gets delivered on time. 🤞

Been keeping myself in the dark on most aspects of this game - I only watched the original reveal trailer.

NanaMiku

Dammit, my game unlocked yesterday at 22:00 local time, but when I ran the game it crashed and corrupted the data. Need to redownload it again.

Porcile

Gotta love how they are butt ass neked in front of eachother in a mixed gender bathhouse but sleep in their full soldiers uniform lol

Exentryk

Gotta love how they are butt ass neked in front of eachother in a mixed gender bathhouse but sleep in their full soldiers uniform lol
Lol, it's interesting because they probably don't even have a concept of reproduction given how it all works in their world.

But yeah, the scene was interesting for sure.

Chukhopops

First impressions:
- runs really well handheld, still blurry but way less than XC2;
- tons of cutscenes in the beginning, looks really high budget compared to previous episodes;
- soundtrack is amazing.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The game is full of cutscenes and well into Ch. 3 they haven't stopped. It has also been a shockingly linear game so far.

. . . and the hand-holding has not let up; genuinely curious if we'll get the same criticism of it here that folks like to throw at UBI-Open Worlds. The AI is also braindead and I'm hoping they're just holding off on the drip feed of game systems to add in a more refined party control system.

Beyond that, definitely an 8/10 game so far lately carried by the story and combat depth (even if there are some major issues with combat including the AI and general combat feedback). The game also has an impeccable balance of maturity and anime-cheesecake.

Is playing in hard recommended?

Not until you get to Ch. 2. Even then it's going to be a slog. The difficulty is not well balanced at all, particularly in the opening hours. It's basically just the enemy becomes a damage sponge, which is good for actually seeing combat but when you face bosses or stronger enemies you can see where the tedium is. It's just not balanced for how many missing features there are in the beginning.

. . . that said, I did it (I'm in Ch. 3 after 10 hours) but it really needed a content pass in terms of balancing.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Is playing in hard recommended?
I started hard, but enemies just take longer. The battle doesn't really change much. And you don't really have the tools to do much differently due to limited combat options. So hard mode is not recommended at the start at least. Let's see how it unfolds once you have more options.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
This game is very good. I think I'm in chapter 4 now, I just took out my second
flame clock
and boy that boss battle was a bitch.

Porcile

Lol yeah it's just Xenoblade. I think the appeal is obviously the world design, story, characters, music etc and not so much the combat which is pretty much just Xenoblade as it has always been.

jorgejjvr

The game is full of cutscenes and well into Ch. 3 they haven't stopped. It has also been a shockingly linear game so far.

. . . and the hand-holding has not let up; genuinely curious if we'll get the same criticism of it here that folks like to throw at UBI-Open Worlds. The AI is also braindead and I'm hoping they're just holding off on the drip feed of game systems to add in a more refined party control system.

Beyond that, definitely an 8/10 game so far lately carried by the story and combat depth (even if there are some major issues with combat including the AI and general combat feedback). The game also has an impeccable balance of maturity and anime-cheesecake.

Not until you get to Ch. 2. Even then it's going to be a slog. The difficulty is not well balanced at all, particularly in the opening hours. It's basically just the enemy becomes a damage sponge, which is good for actually seeing combat but when you face bosses or stronger enemies you can see where the tedium is. It's just not balanced for how many missing features there are in the beginning.

. . . that said, I did it (I'm in Ch. 3 after 10 hours) but it really needed a content pass in terms of balancing.

I started hard, but enemies just take longer. The battle doesn't really change much. And you don't really have the tools to do much differently due to limited combat options. So hard mode is not recommended at the start at least. Let's see how it unfolds once you have more options.
got it, i will start in normal then, and maybe ramp it up to hard in chapt 2 and 3 depending on how it feels by then

jorgejjvr

Lol yeah it's just Xenoblade. I think the appeal is obviously the world design, story, characters, music etc and not so much the combat which is pretty much just Xenoblade as it has always been.
combat is my favorite part of xenoblade, its incredibly solid and deep, at least 1 and 2 were, in my opinion

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
got it, i will start in normal then, and maybe ramp it up to hard in chapt 2 and 3 depending on how it feels by then

I mean try HARD for yourself before you say this isn't something you want to do. I died like ten minutes into the game when attacking a group of similar level enemies guarding a treasure. I couldn't do it and if I had kept the game on HARD until at least the beginning of Ch. 2 I probably would have peaced out. I still don't feel that you have as much control as you need to effectively manage HARD in Ch. 3 but it's not as pernicious as the beginning.

To give an example: AI will try their hardest to use their ARTS effectively, but they just don't understand the game as well as you do, so I'm often in a situation where a characters combo ART is on cooldown because they've used it, and there's no way to control that - so far; another thing is characters not taking advantage of buffs in the field, especially classes that have positional attacks - they'll try and stay in position for their attacks instead of coming in to use buffs when they are off cooldowns. I'm glad they have the regroup option, but while that is on, characters won't do anything, which is annoying.

Again, maybe this will flesh out a bit more as the game is VERY slow, and is seemingly taking its time with not just the story but gameplay mechanics as well. I'm sure by the mid-game all of this will be moot.

I absolutely would not be playing this game if it weren't for the combat. The story for sure is good, even if I don't know what's going on (I am getting a bit sick of the - well I guess they are English accents, but they are accents I've NEVER heard an Englishman use outside of cinema when you want the audience to know a character is REALLY British and "posh" I think is the word). But, so far, the world is not even close to being engaging enough with things to do for me to say it is a selling point (it is a lot less whimsical and bright than XC1 and for sure XC2; the first two chapters are just barren land except for a brief stop).

jorgejjvr

I mean try HARD for yourself before you say this isn't something you want to do. I died like ten minutes into the game when attacking a group of similar level enemies guarding a treasure. I couldn't do it and if I had kept the game on HARD until at least the beginning of Ch. 2 I probably would have peaced out. I still don't feel that you have as much control as you need to effectively manage HARD in Ch. 3 but it's not as pernicious as the beginning.

To give an example: AI will try their hardest to use their ARTS effectively, but they just don't understand the game as well as you do, so I'm often in a situation where a characters combo ART is on cooldown because they've used it, and there's no way to control that - so far; another thing is characters not taking advantage of buffs in the field, especially classes that have positional attacks - they'll try and stay in position for their attacks instead of coming in to use buffs when they are off cooldowns. I'm glad they have the regroup option, but while that is on, characters won't do anything, which is annoying.

Again, maybe this will flesh out a bit more as the game is VERY slow, and is seemingly taking its time with not just the story but gameplay mechanics as well. I'm sure by the mid-game all of this will be moot.

I absolutely would not be playing this game if it weren't for the combat. The story for sure is good, even if I don't know what's going on (I am getting a bit sick of the - well I guess they are English accents, but they are accents I've NEVER heard an Englishman use outside of cinema when you want the audience to know a character is REALLY British and "posh" I think is the word). But, so far, the world is not even close to being engaging enough with things to do for me to say it is a selling point (it is a lot less whimsical and bright than XC1 and for sure XC2; the first two chapters are just barren land except for a brief stop).
yeah xeno 2 also took its time, i quite enjoyed getting new mechanics 30 hours in still

Exentryk

I think Riku's voice casting is not good. Broken English with a British accent just doesn't work. Riki's casting from XB1 was so good, and they should have just gone that route.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My copy is still out for delivery, bleh! Was watching some streams on Twitch and Cohh mentioned that he's had one game crash, with a few others mentioning crashes as well. Hopefully nothing too hard for the devs to find a fix for.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think Riku's voice casting is not good. Broken English with a British accent just doesn't work. Riki's casting from XB1 was so good, and they should have just gone that route.
How dare you! Riki’s voice is….
sexy-austin-powers.gif

NanaMiku

The tutorial is like that because many people complain about the tutorial in Xenoblade 2. Monolith Soft always take their criticism to heart lol. They even made a VR training room. The AI is a bit better than 1 and 2. They still properly execute combo. You can also change party member you control in battle, so you can directly control them.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The tutorial is like that because many people complain about the tutorial in Xenoblade 2. Monolith Soft always take their criticism to heart lol. They even made a VR training room. The AI is a bit better than 1 and 2. They still properly execute combo. You can also change party member you control in battle, so you can directly control them.

Gonna have to just disagree about the AI. They certainly will execute a combo properly. . .IF the ability is off-cooldown. This will not stop characters from "ability staggering" leading to inefficient use of the combo system. And yes, obviously I know you can directly control characters; this does not stop characters from "wasting" abilities leading to long stretches of poor enemy control.

. . .as for the tutorials, if they don't think people know how to equip items in an RPG (so much so that they give you the tutorial twice) then boy do they not have any confidence in their playerbase.

Kataploom

Gold Member
. . .as for the tutorials, if they don't think people know how to equip items in an RPG (so much so that they give you the tutorial twice) then boy do they not have any confidence in their playerbase.
UX is a really delicate kind of work, you better treat your userbase like complete ignorants or you risk the complete ignorants (that there will always be) will get lost unattended. But well, there are good ways and not so good ways of doing tutorials (Doom Eternal is an absolute flow killer in that regard, they should be not copied)

Ma-Yuan

Chapter 3 8h since yesterday playing only handheld mode. Love it but the music seems forgettable to me. The first two games had a better soundtrack in my opinion.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Massive help! Thanks.

Indeed. The game doesn't tell you it (and the UI element pointing it out is really small) and it was definitely wearing on me in the beginning. Discovering it increased my enjoyment of combat immensely.

Andyliini

Well, I have the game. But I still have not beaten Live A Live, and the final stretch seems to be much more difficult than the game that far.

Hope I can squeeze it through tomorrow.

Top Bottom