• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My copy just arrived. God damn, I've been waiting for this! Looking great on my 77 inch OLED. The music so far in the first few minutes is incredible.

Buggy Loop

Got my copy, will probably only start playing later tonight when kids are sleeping.

Tim And Eric Omg GIF

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
My copy just arrived. God damn, I've been waiting for this! Looking great on my 77 inch OLED. The music so far in the first few minutes is incredible.

Would you say the image quality is way better than 2 and 1 Definitive Edition?

Last edited:

Jennings

My copy of XC3 arrived 90 minutes ago and I've put 90 minutes into it so far. I'm still in the first colony and will be heading out on a big surprise mission as soon as I go around the camp and talk to everybody I can. But all that will have to wait until tomorrow, it's sleepy time for me. Very much looking forward to exploring the world.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would you say the image quality is way better than 2 and 1 Definitive Edition?
Yes it's definitely an improvement over the previous games. But I can't help but wonder how glorious this would look if it were in 4K and had better hardware to push the visuals. Still, a great game is a great game regardless of how it looks - and so far, this is a great game.

NanaMiku

Gonna have to just disagree about the AI. They certainly will execute a combo properly. . .IF the ability is off-cooldown. This will not stop characters from "ability staggering" leading to inefficient use of the combo system. And yes, obviously I know you can directly control characters; this does not stop characters from "wasting" abilities leading to long stretches of poor enemy control.

. . .as for the tutorials, if they don't think people know how to equip items in an RPG (so much so that they give you the tutorial twice) then boy do they not have any confidence in their playerbase.
Eh, it's still far better than Xenoblade 1. How many times I scream at Reyn for not using Wild Down even though it's clearly ready to use. Sure the AI is not good, but it's improved in each iteration. I'll take it over the AI in Xenoblade 1
Chapter 3 8h since yesterday playing only handheld mode. Love it but the music seems forgettable to me. The first two games had a better soundtrack in my opinion.
I'm just starting chapter 3. I can say for sure the BGM for Consul is not forgettable
When the sky is chanting, you know the shit is on

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Eh, it's still far better than Xenoblade 1. How many times I scream at Reyn for not using Wild Down even though it's clearly ready to use. Sure the AI is not good, but it's improved in each iteration. I'll take it over the AI in Xenoblade 1
I have to agree, AI has no fucking ideas how to use Dunban or Melia, XC3’s AI is far better here and best part is in this game you can switch between characters mid battle.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean, the switching between characters in battle doesn't mean much if they aren't using their skills right. It shouldn't be a coin flip on whether or not a combo skill is ready when you initiate one with a Break art.

The game is excellent and on Normal the AI's weakness isn't as glaring (it's still bad) or detracting from the experience, but it needs a patching pronto.

How does this game compare to XC1? Rather enjoyed that game. I've also played and liked Xenogears and the Xenosaga trilogy. I skipped XC2 and XCX though, XC2 seemed way too fan-service-y for my tastes, and XCX looked rather dull.

How does this game compare to XC1? Rather enjoyed that game. I've also played and liked Xenogears and the Xenosaga trilogy. I skipped XC2 and XCX though, XC2 seemed way too fan-service-y for my tastes, and XCX looked rather dull.

XC2 didn't have any fan service outside of character models, which to me weren't a big deal outside an optional blade that looked deformed.

I haven't played those 2 other games, but I would rank the Xenoblade games as XC2 > XC3 > XC1 > XX

XC2 didn't have any fan service outside of character models, which to me weren't a big deal outside an optional blade that looked deformed.

I haven't played those 2 other games, but I would rank the Xenoblade games as XC2 > XC3 > XC1 > XX
Thanks! Definitely to each their own, the character models were what I found to be too fan-service-y, I couldn't get past the tig ol' bitty sword people.

Thanks! Definitely to each their own, the character models were what I found to be too fan-service-y, I couldn't get past the tig ol' bitty sword people.

As a female I've never thought it was a big deal. It's not like she's unrealistic (optional blade I mentioned) or shoved in your face in certain poses.

You can always change costumes if it bothers you

lZYDUDl.png

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

The first 3 hours were so good. I think monolith has nailed their art style and graphic renderer (within switch envelope). The colour palette is fantastic too.

Exentryk

Monolith Soft are really good with action cutscenes. The story is also interesting and I am enjoying the early linear experience so far.

Another thing I like is the main character is different than the usual yolo type, and is more thoughtful and calm.

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
The intro to this game is god damned ridiculous. . .and long. Very long. I'm not sure what they were going for with that. It does set the lore of the world up (getting real
Never Let Me Go and Logan's Run
vibes here) but Jesus, tell me about to watch anime episode or something before I sit down with dinner going in the kitchen.

. . .as for the game itself, looks wise this would probably be insane on a PC or something with stronger hardware. Just from the cutscenes themselves you can see what kind of game MS would make aesthetically without the limitations of the SWITCH (or Wii/U). For sure better looking than XC2, but boy if there was ever a game that was begging for anti-aliasing.

Totally agree. What I don't understand is why Sony or MS don't produce an AAA game of the calibre of XC3 in-house with cutting edge graphic and all.

Come on if shitty Nintendo can make games like this why cant MS do it with they 12TERAFLOPS console and all the money they have?

Why why WHY

Daaayum it's real good

I wanted to play on hard and it seemed great at first, but once I got to chapter 2 the same level unique enemies starting crushing me. Normals are fine, elites were a good fight but uniques were just running away with every fight.
It's crazy trying to learn everyone's classes and what fusion arts are while getting wrecked so fast. I was wondering if I would be forced to lower the difficulty level but instead I decided to run past enemies through the story until I get chain attack. Then I went back and fought those unique enemies with chain attack (and gems) and managed to squeak out wins against them. Feels great. I actually can't get my head around how chain attack works yet but that happens in every xenoblade, there's a period of total confusion before you're like "wait I can actually do this and that? Awesome!"

Game is looking epic rn

iHaunter

Do I need to know the previous stories to play this game? The previous ones were so cringe I couldn't even finish them.

Only Xenoblade game I finished was Chronicles X, wish they'd make an X-2. As close to Gundam as we'll get, I guess. Maybe till the next Armored Core?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Do I need to know the previous stories to play this game? The previous ones were so cringe I couldn't even finish them.

Only Xenoblade game I finished was Chronicles X, wish they'd make an X-2. As close to Gundam as we'll get, I guess. Maybe till the next Armored Core?

Yes to get the most out of it. The story of this game is about the fallout of the worlds of xenoblade 1 and 2 merging. It features characters and races that appeared in both games. Thats the honest truth.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Is the discussion on the rest spot that give bonus exp is the replacement of Heart-to-Heart? That's disappointing, and not voiced.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You guys running on normal or hard?

HARD is not balanced and only gets less so. The party control options aren't robust enough to handle the synergies needed to push through the damage and health scale of enemies on the higher difficulty. Instead of being excited to switch character classes, I was falling back on maxed out classes for difficult fights and that's just not fun. NORMAL can still spiral out of control if you're being lazy, but it isn't a death sentence.

. . .maybe if they do a content pass instead of the lazy damage/health increase. My problem now is I'm overleveled for NORMAL and will need to just "wait it out" until the content stabilizes which stinks.

Yes to get the most out of it. The story of this game -

I mean. . .kind of no reason for them to play it now right? I hadn't beaten the other two games but other than noticing some interesting tidbits (the crystal in Mio's chest for instance) I'm not seeing anything that is specifically highlighted in the game that requires knowledge of the previous games; reviewers have also said as much.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
HARD is not balanced and only gets less so. The party control options aren't robust enough to handle the synergies needed to push through the damage and health scale of enemies on the higher difficulty. Instead of being excited to switch character classes, I was falling back on maxed out classes for difficult fights and that's just not fun. NORMAL can still spiral out of control if you're being lazy, but it isn't a death sentence.

. . .maybe if they do a content pass instead of the lazy damage/health increase. My problem now is I'm overleveled for NORMAL and will need to just "wait it out" until the content stabilizes which stinks.

I mean. . .kind of no reason for them to play it now right? I hadn't beaten the other two games but other than noticing some interesting tidbits (the crystal in Mio's chest for instance) I'm not seeing anything that is specifically highlighted in the game that requires knowledge of the previous games; reviewers have also said as much.

I don't want to go down the rabbit hole with spoilers but the trailers for 3 literally featured characters that appeared in 1 and 2 respectively. They are not strangers to followers of the franchise and both were integral parts of the games they were in and are integral parts of this game not just some cameo. Regardless of the sales pitch from Nintendo to sell the game to newcomers I wholeheartedly believe this story was written with the expectation of knowing the past events of the previous 2 games.

Nautilus

Banned
Started playing yesterday, so here's my first impressions:

You can see in almost everything, from textures, to animations, UI, Image Quality, that XC 3 clearly had a bigger budget. Which makes me happy.

Combat so far feels like an improved XC 2.Which is excellent in my book.I know there's more stuff comming, but I'm evaluating what I plaued so far(got control over Eunie after that boss battle, for anyone that knows what I mean).

First area is not impactful as previous games first area, but honestly its impossible to keep one uping yourself ad infinitum, and the area does look great, so I'm happy.

Cutscene animation, especially the battle scenes, seems better(or the same, at worse) for the most part. XC 2 was already the best in the business in that regard, so I'm extremely happy. The game does cut corners in less important scenes. Its a better version of XC 2 in that regard. Its fine, but nothing mindblowing. Nintendo may have increased its budget, but XC still doesn't sell like Mario or Animal Crossing, so its to be expected. Not that it gets in the way mind you.

All in all, fucking happy I am.

Croga

About 10 hours into this, playing on hard. Only on chapter 2, been exploring a lot.

Just unlocked Chain attacks, and this has to be the best implementation of them in the series, they are really well done!

I don't get much time for gaming these days, but I'll be sinking every available hour into this, it's so good! Everything I expected and more, hats off to them.

I would kill to see what these folks could produce on next gen hardware, the fact that they can get this much out of the Switch is just pure wizardry.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't want to go down the rabbit hole with spoilers but the trailers for 3 literally featured characters that appeared in 1 and 2 respectively. They are not strangers to followers of the franchise and both were integral parts of the games they were in and are integral parts of this game not just some cameo. Regardless of the sales pitch from Nintendo to sell the game to newcomers I wholeheartedly believe this story was written with the expectation of knowing the past events of the previous 2 games.

Not everyone watches trailers. Like I didn't know that at all (or honestly anything about the game beyond similarities in aesthetics with the first games). All I'm saying is that the question they asked really didn't require any plot details and nothing I've seen so far in 30-ish hours of the game has me scratching my head going "Huh. . ." having not beaten the previous entries.

I mean if you've beaten the game and know that the game can't be appreciated without playing the first two, then that's fine (though it goes against every p/review I've perused), I'm just not seeing it.

Lognor

Banned
It's definitely better, but man, I'm ready to move past Switch. It's really feeling dated.
Yeah, I couldn't help but wish we had a Switch Pro or something a bit more powerful for this game. Like you said, better than XB2, but still...could be so much better.

Botw2 is going to be painful too. If there is a chance we get a more powerful iteration next year I might hold off on playing botw2. I don't require much (I do play on Switch afterall), but it's definitely a bit long in the tooth at this point

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Not everyone watches trailers. Like I didn't know that at all (or honestly anything about the game beyond similarities in aesthetics with the first games). All I'm saying is that the question they asked really didn't require any plot details and nothing I've seen so far in 30-ish hours of the game has me scratching my head going "Huh. . ." having not beaten the previous entries.

I mean if you've beaten the game and know that the game can't be appreciated without playing the first two, then that's fine (though it goes against every p/review I've perused), I'm just not seeing it.

It can be appreciated sure. This is the best example I can give. Dragon Ball Super can be appreciated on its own just fine not having any previous knowledge of the characters. However much more emotional impact is had knowing these characters beforehand and the significance of their interactions with each other. Goku and Freiza teaming up at the end is a perfect example of this.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Totally agree. What I don't understand is why Sony or MS don't produce an AAA game of the calibre of XC3 in-house with cutting edge graphic and all.

Come on if shitty Nintendo can make games like this why cant MS do it with they 12TERAFLOPS console and all the money they have?

Why why WHY
Easy, because neither MS or Sony willing to invest resource on JRPGs, they heavily rely on third party to give it to them. I mean this generation Sony completely stopped making first party Japanese games let alone make high quality first party JRPG.

Currently only Nintendo are willing support first party JRPG.

Last edited:
Playing on Hard, on Chapter 3, zero issue at all with the ”difficulty”. Just a little bit of basic effort in building combos, utilizing arts correctly, and the AI follows up 9 times out of 10. Have already defeated enemies far higher level than I am with little issue.

“Git Gud” would be the phrase to use here.

Yes it's definitely an improvement over the previous games. But I can't help but wonder how glorious this would look if it were in 4K and had better hardware to push the visuals. Still, a great game is a great game regardless of how it looks - and so far, this is a great game.
with yuzu of course. IO have to switcxh to yuzu due to how bad it look on my 4k tv... resolution too low

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Imagine being afraid of boobs.

Because that's what they said. Speaking of. . .

Playing on Hard, on Chapter 3, zero issue at all with the ”difficulty”. Just a little bit of basic effort in building combos, utilizing arts correctly, and the AI follows up 9 times out of 10. Have already defeated enemies far higher level than I am with little issue.

“Git Gud” would be the phrase to use here.

No one said that HARD was impossible. It clearly isn't. It just isn't fun. For the subset of the population who likes getting kicked "in the testicles" (read that in Bobby Hill's voice) I'm sure it's a wild ride. For the other trillion, NORMAL is more than enough.

. . .I'd also really love to see a video of this "basic effort."

Top Bottom