• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 PC |OT| Uncapped Framerates

cripterion

first story mission on Titan is some of the worst level design i've ever played. kind of on me for not using the jump mechanics right but that is not how you incorporate platforming in a shooter

Thought the same too. The section with the slow walk was just laughable. The addition of the music for drama effect didn't work one bit.
Definitely not a segment I expect to find in such a big budget sequel.

amar212

first story mission on Titan is some of the worst level design i've ever played. kind of on me for not using the jump mechanics right but that is not how you incorporate platforming in a shooter

You still dont have a Sparrow. It is releated to the story.

/shrugs

BashNasty

Thought the same too. The section with the slow walk was just laughable. The addition of the music for drama effect didn't work one bit.
Definitely not a segment I expect to find in such a big budget sequel.

Odd you guys feel that way. I enjoyed that section quite a bit and didn't have a single problem with it. The jumping feels good.

So great to be finally playing this on PC too. I'm impatient, so I picked it up on PS4 and put in about 40 hours there, but PC is clearly where this is meant to be played. 100 fps, mouse and keyboard and 1440p makes everything feel really damn awesome!

Sky87

Is anyone noticing any micro stuttering when looking around with a mouse? It seems to be fine when I first start then suddenly happen as I'm playing.
Noticed this on the EDZ. The same area where there was an event with a walker. Went back to orbit and then back down to the EDZ landing area and everything was smooth again.

16gb RAM

While the gameplay is godlike, I will say the story has been really rough the second go round (first on PS4). It amazes me how bad the script, voice acting and general plot is. You'd think it was made by high schoolers. Every line has me rolling my eyes out of my head. Christ, Bungie.

zoobzone

There is an in built fps counter? Where?

Game Settings > Show FPS

Anyway, I thought I had terrible performance (50fps with Core i9 and GTX1080 SLI) until I found out that the in game fps cap under VSYNC halves my fps. As soon as I set it to Uncapped I'm always 100+ fps.

Pat_DC

Where you playing as a Warlock by any chance?

On ps4 when I played through the first two times I didn't mind it but the third as a warlock was a lot more deaths :)

I actually enjoyed the story missions on Titan, I really liked the environment art direction, lighting and mood.

I was playing with m&kb on an ultra wide but decided I'd rather kick back and play with a controller on the big screen. Wasn't even gonna bother with crucible because of the disadvantage but ended up playing two matches with a controller. Felt kinda guilty afterwards because the auto aim is crazy. I ended up top spot both matches and I suck at pvp games. Last match stats
Opp. Def. 31, knockouts 11, streak 5, Damage 6222, Eff.2.82

Edit: I'm playing as a Titan and am lvl 13 if that matters.

ChazGW7

Playing this last night really bummed me out that I couldn't get into the DestinyGAF Discord channel before all this shit went down over the weekend. Was really looking forward to jumping in with the community but now we're shut out.

It runs like a dream on my PC and I had a blast playing through some of the starting missions. Played some Crucible aswell which was also fun, I think I carried all my teams to victory though... I play too much CS:GO.

Saiyan-Rox

Getting about 70fps maxed out with my 1070+i7 first game in a while I've managed to play without issues.

Hate the cutscenes being at 30fps.

Great OT buddy, can anyone here compare this to Warframe?

I can as I've been playing WF non-stop for the past 2 weeks and spent about 4 hours or so with this last night with friends. You immediately notice how slow it feels. The gunplay is better, but at low levels the amount of fun I have actually playing my character is less. I'm sure it will improve with gear and subclass unlocks, as with any game of this sort. Story wise, WF is limited, but it has some amazing moments. I finished up 'The Second Dream' and 'War Within' this week and they were fantastic gaming moments. Last night my friends and I basically MST3K'd our way through the story elements in D2. The writing and delivery is just painful at times. Nathan Fillion helps, but can't save what is ultimately atrocious writing and direction in the cutscenes. I'm disappointed to be honest and have a little bit of buyer's remorse. I can see myself finishing the campaign and getting to a decent power level and then heading right back to WF.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Getting about 70fps maxed out with my 1070+i7 first game in a while I've managed to play without issues.

Hate the cutscenes being at 30fps.

Yeah they stick out like a sore thumb.

CSJ

I haven't seen a single person type in chat, I don't even know how to speak in the clan chat.
Typing / comes up with reply, team, whisper, fireteam. Not sure what the difference between team and fireteam is but I guess the latter is a raid.

Is there even a vicinity chat?

Not only that, frequently when in the open world with other people doing stuff together, they will vanish into another instance but you were working together to do stuff, because teaming up compared to other games is cumbersome and unintuitive if you've never done it. Nobody ever accepts invites, most have it set to default friends and clan only which is game director>roster> then it's just above the list of people in your zone.

Also I can't actually see who's online in my clan roster?
For a second go at a AAA multiplayer cooperative game they sure put the social aspect at the bottom.

Everything else is great so far but I might as well be playing with mindless bots.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm half way through the story already. to be fair i've just skipped the cutscenes since i already played it on PS4. i enjoyed the story but just want to get it over with so i can start making my way towards 305.

Dmax3901

Played a fair bit tonight, surprised to find I enjoyed the few matches of Crucible I played.

I think this will consume me for some time then I'll drop it altogether, which is fine by me.

Great OT buddy, can anyone here compare this to Warframe?

Destiny looks better, has better gunplay, has a more fleshed out narrative(I hesitate to say better because I think the story sucks) , and is less grindy.

Warframe has better gun variety, feels better to move around with, has much deeper RPG aspects, and is much more repayable.

One of my biggest criticisms of Destiny 2 is that most of the RPG aspects of the game feel like they don't really serve a purpose. Light level increases but I never really felt stronger. I feel like they could have made a Halo-esque game with none of the RPG stuff and it would have still functioned largely the same.

Oh and the clan system in Destiny 2 is an absolute joke compared to Warframe.

AEREC

Gtx 1080 here with latest drivers. I'm having frame rate drops in the open area on earth. Even by lowering some setting, i get between 3 to 10 frames drop. I don't think that's normal.

In the PC Performance thread a lot of people are having that issue, myself included. Performance was great during the intro missions (constant 60fps) but once I hit the EDZ it started to dip into the 50's but with severe hitching and framepacing after about 5-10 minutes. Any game mode I go to after the EDZ, Farm or Crucible is also affected with severe hitching. Once I restart the game and go straight into the Farm or Crucible then performance is fine, it's only once I've been in the EDZ for a while that performance starts to tank. My CPU is a little older (i7-870) but it looks like people with newer CPU's are having the same issue so I suspect the game is just really unoptimized for the larger Zones or it has a memory leak.

arimanius

I can as I've been playing WF non-stop for the past 2 weeks and spent about 4 hours or so with this last night with friends. You immediately notice how slow it feels. The gunplay is better, but at low levels the amount of fun I have actually playing my character is less. I'm sure it will improve with gear and subclass unlocks, as with any game of this sort. Story wise, WF is limited, but it has some amazing moments. I finished up 'The Second Dream' and 'War Within' this week and they were fantastic gaming moments. Last night my friends and I basically MST3K'd our way through the story elements in D2. The writing and delivery is just painful at times. Nathan Fillion helps, but can't save what is ultimately atrocious writing and direction in the cutscenes. I'm disappointed to be honest and have a little bit of buyer's remorse. I can see myself finishing the campaign and getting to a decent power level and then heading right back to WF.

Destiny looks better, has better gunplay, has a more fleshed out narrative(I hesitate to say better because I think the story sucks) , and is less grindy.

Warframe has better gun variety, feels better to move around with, has much deeper RPG aspects, and is much more repayable.

One of my biggest criticisms of Destiny 2 is that most of the RPG aspects of the game feel like they don't really serve a purpose. Light level increases but I never really felt stronger. I feel like they could have made a Halo-esque game with none of the RPG stuff and it would have still functioned largely the same.

Oh and the clan system in Destiny 2 is an absolute joke compared to Warframe.

I agree with these two. I've been playing warframe for the last few weeks. I got my guy in D2 to over 300 light and haven't logged back in since.

Full disclosure I think Warframe is a better game PvE wise. PvP wise they are both bad lol

Voidwolf

I played from 1 PM to about 11:30 PM yesterday, other than bathroom and food breaks I could not remove myself from my computer, I was instantly hooked. I'm so glad I held off on getting the PS4 version of this. I understand the criticisms people made of this being a Destiny 1.5 rather than a proper sequel but honestly, with Destiny 1 having such tight gameplay and most of its issues fixed by its final expansion that's really all we needed. The game looks phenomenal and plays so damn good with KB + M. The story is interesting and the dialogue is super cheesy but honestly that's fine with me and I'm not taking it seriously so it's still enjoyable. I'm loving all the activities in patrol. With Adventures, Lost Sectors, and the frequency at which Public Events pop up, you always have something to do.

I mostly played with a friend of mine yesterday and he only played vanilla Destiny on PS4 for a couple of months and he was always hating on the game and complaining while we played. Whenever we'd play crucible we'd lose almost every game he was in, it almost felt like he was cursed lol, suffice it to say it soured him on the PvP aspect of the game and he always remembered the game as an unbalanced mess. Granted, PvP was an unbalanced mess but as an Arcblade Hunter with a godroll shotgun (increased range/accuracy perks) and the Last Word, I enjoyed every second of it. It was unbearable listening to his whining all the time and I was kinda glad he stopped playing. But yesterday was different, by the time we made it to Titan he was constantly praising the game, stating he was impressed with how much work had been put into the campaign so far and how great the level design and attention to detail were. How much more fun the objectives in the missions were this time around and how great it felt to play. Then he decided he wanted to do his Crucible missions from Shaxx. I prepared for the worst. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see him do well in the Crucible. We switched to the competitive playlist and went on to steamroll every team we came across. We even had a couple of randoms every now and then that made it feel like a 2v4 but we pulled through time and again. We must have played about 8 or competitive matches and only lost 1 of them. He's fallen in love with the game this time around and that is what showed me how much Bungie improved the formula while seemingly keeping the foundation of the game more or less the same.

forrest

formerly nacire
i7 5820K
GTX 1080 Ti
32 GBytes DDR4
SSD for game install

Playing at 3440x1440
All settings at Max except:
Foliage Detail Distance - Medium
Depth of Field - High
Shadow Quality - High

I tweaked those settings according to the Nvidia gfx guide for Destiny 2, just to ensure I was get 60fps with little to no effect on visual quality.

As of right now, in certain areas, standing in a Lost Sector on IO, I'm getting in the lower 50's and no matter what video setting I change the in game fps counter doesn't change? Even dropping render resolution to say 25% doesn't change it. I'm not really sure what gives. At some points I get a perfect 60fps and others this type of behavior where is low 50's and nothing affects the performance from the settings menu.

Anyone experiencing anything similar or have some tips?

*Side note - when turning v-sync off I get 120-130 fps but when on I only get the low 50's at times. No clue what is going on.

i7 4790K 4.4GHz
GTX 1080
16GB DDR3-2400
1440p with 125% resolution scale (1800p)
Installed on NvME SSD

Locked 60fps everywhere with plenty of headroom (sub 80% GPU usage), no drops in EDZ or after long play sessions.

everyer

I played from 1 PM to about 11:30 PM yesterday, other than bathroom and food breaks I could not remove myself from my computer, I was instantly hooked. I'm so glad I held off on getting the PS4 version of this. I understand the criticisms people made of this being a Destiny 1.5 rather than a proper sequel but honestly, with Destiny 1 having such tight gameplay and most of its issues fixed by its final expansion that's really all we needed. The game looks phenomenal and plays so damn good with KB + M. The story is interesting and the dialogue is super cheesy but honestly that's fine with me and I'm not taking it seriously so it's still enjoyable. I'm loving all the activities in patrol. With Adventures, Lost Sectors, and the frequency at which Public Events pop up, you always have something to do.

I mostly played with a friend of mine yesterday and he only played vanilla Destiny on PS4 for a couple of months and he was always hating on the game and complaining while we played. Whenever we'd play crucible we'd lose almost every game he was in, it almost felt like he was cursed lol, suffice it to say it soured him on the PvP aspect of the game and he always remembered the game as an unbalanced mess. Granted, PvP was an unbalanced mess but as an Arcblade Hunter with a godroll shotgun (increased range/accuracy perks) and the Last Word, I enjoyed every second of it. It was unbearable listening to his whining all the time and I was kinda glad he stopped playing. But yesterday was different, by the time we made it to Titan he was constantly praising the game, stating he was impressed with how much work had been put into the campaign so far and how great the level design and attention to detail were. How much more fun the objectives in the missions were this time around and how great it felt to play. Then he decided he wanted to do his Crucible missions from Shaxx. I prepared for the worst. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see him do well in the Crucible. We switched to the competitive playlist and went on to steamroll every team we came across. We even had a couple of randoms every now and then that made it feel like a 2v4 but we pulled through time and again. We must have played about 8 or competitive matches and only lost 1 of them. He's fallen in love with the game this time around and that is what showed me how much Bungie improved the formula while seemingly keeping the foundation of the game more or less the same.

Cool, this is a game for friends playing together!

Voidwolf

Is the problem not that the variety of what you do is literally not there? You shoot bullet sponge enemies in different environments, end of.

It's a first person shooter. What else do you expect to do? We'll always be shooting enemies no matter what our objective is, and for what it's worth, they haven't felt like bullet sponges to me yet. I did about half of my missions alone and the rest with one friend, they seem to be at a good spot health wise. That said, I was commenting on the difference from Patrol in the previous game where all you had to do were a couple of the same patrol missions over and over again with a public event every 20 minutes or so. D1's patrol missions consisted of kill this target, kill these targets and collect whatever they drop, scan this item, or stand in this small area for a few seconds. I may be missing a few but it was the same small pool of objectives on every planet and it got stale real fast. Patrol seems to have more mission structure and thought to it this time around, the Adventures serve as side missions and the Lost Sectors are genuinely fun to explore and progress through. And the public events are much more frequent, or maybe the inclusion of the map just makes it seem that way as now you know when and where one will pop up.

qazqaNii

Game looks quite interesting any idea if it would run on potato specs like warframe does? Also does this game have any trading in it, like trading weapons, armors with each other etc.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Game looks quite interesting any idea if it would run on potato specs like warframe does? Also does this game have any trading in it, like trading weapons, armors with each other etc.

I don't know how it runs, but there's no trading and very little customization (if you're coming from Warframe).

Skeletron

Funny, I knew you were playing as Warlock immediately. The Warlock's default "strafe glide" jump is the most terrible performing jump I've ever used in an FPS. It ruins any jumping mechanics section in the game. Do yourself a favor and reroll a Titan or Hunter if jumping is important to you, or switch to "burst glide" for a marginally better Warlock jump.

qazqaNii

I don't know how it runs, but there's no trading and very little customization (if you're coming from Warframe).

Thanks dude, yeah I'm coming from Warframe, never played the first Destiny either, guess I might just try it out, any ideas if I can join random missions with randoms without organizing anything, hate playing solo in these kind of games :p.

Funny, I knew you were playing as Warlock immediately. The Warlock's default "strafe glide" jump is the most terrible performing jump I've ever used in an FPS. It ruins any jumping mechanics section in the game. Do yourself a favor and reroll a Titan or Hunter if jumping is important to you, or switch to "burst glide" for a marginally better Warlock jump.

Warlock jump is awesome when you get used to it

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Thanks dude, yeah I'm coming from Warframe, never played the first Destiny either, guess I might just try it out, any ideas if I can join random missions with randoms without organizing anything, hate playing solo in these kind of games :p.

Destiny is my most played game of all time - I love both D1 and D2. But there are a lot of things that Warframe does better that you're going to miss. The ease of grouping up for missions with other players is one of them. Grouping in Destiny 2 is more about the nightfalls and raid than the story missions.

Learn to time your second "jump" for different height and it'll become second nature in no time, it is not really that bad.

qazqaNii

Destiny is my most played game of all time - I love both D1 and D2. But there are a lot of things that Warframe does better that you're going to miss. The ease of grouping up for missions with other players is one of them. Grouping in Destiny 2 is more about the nightfalls and raid than the story missions.

Ah damn, really liked the grouping of warframe, guess I will have to find people to play with I guess, before I get the game. Thanks for helping out!

same as console but running @ higher fps + fov

even works with PS4 controller. 60 fps + 4k + HDR + controller + couch = heaven

i7 5820K
GTX 1080 Ti
32 GBytes DDR4
SSD for game install

Playing at 3440x1440
All settings at Max except:
Foliage Detail Distance - Medium
Depth of Field - High
Shadow Quality - High

I tweaked those settings according to the Nvidia gfx guide for Destiny 2, just to ensure I lwas get 60fps with little to no effect on visual quality.

As of right now, in certain areas, standing in a Lost Sector on IO, I'm getting in the lower 50's and no matter what video setting I change the in game fps counter doesn't change? Even dropping render resolution to say 25% doesn't change it. I'm not really sure what gives. At some points I get a perfect 60fps and others this type of behavior where is low 50's and nothing affects the performance from the settings menu.

Anyone experiencing anything similar or have some tips?

*Side note - when turning v-sync off I get 120-130 fps but when on I only get the low 50's at times. No clue what is going on.

Fairly similar settings and I'm not having the same issue. Only differences that I can tell is the resolution, a few settings, and maybe gpu manufacturer?

5820K 4.4ghz
3840x2160
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW 3 with voltage, power limit, and target temp maxed out
All max settings except for DoF (High) and Ambient Occlusion (HDAO)
Locked 60 fps (vsync)

Enordash

Quick question: Is there any reason to hold onto exotic engrams until a higher level or should I just go ahead and decode them right away?

Top Bottom