• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Rogue is a badass class. Both melee and ranged feels good with that class. Kudos to whomever designed it.

Thinking about it for a bit, I think Rogue is going to be a ridiculous PvP class. You can stack up a lot of damage multipliers with the right legendaries and the combo point system. Then, you can cast Concealment, which turns you INVISIBLE, and the next attack out of stealth is a guaranteed crit. Shit's wild.
The flexibility of the Rogue is what suits me plus he made farming Kor Dragan super easy and most likely will be something like that process at end game for farming decent loot as well.

I'm thinking melee for my first class. I haven't tried playing with a controller yet but thinking of just sitting back with a Xbox series x or ps5 dual sense for my first playthrough so barbarian and rogue is itching.

Looked at quite a few rogue gameplay videos last night and the pacing seems crazy with its movement skills and passives

Schmendrick

The flexibility of the Rogue is what suits me plus he made farming Kor Dragan super easy and most likely will be something like that process at end game for farming decent loot as well.
I always felt extremely ressource starved on rogue. great damage output and mobility, but the forced downtimes rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe my gear was just not good enough.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I always felt extremely ressource starved on rogue. great damage output and mobility, but the forced downtimes rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe my gear was just not good enough.
Shadow imbue + resource gain on kill from shadow damage mitigates that problem a lot. Crowd control + legendary item that gives you resource on CC helps too. It takes a little while to get it online, but it slaps. Inner Sight also helps with unlimited energy for 4 seconds.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shadow imbue + resource gain on kill from shadow damage mitigates that problem a lot. Crowd control + legendary item that gives you resource on CC helps too. It takes a little while to get it online, but it slaps. Inner Sight also helps with unlimited energy for 4 seconds.

I think my biggest annoyance with Barb in the second beta (my first time playing) I found I had to use the charge / rush attack to get any movement and as a regular attack, then the only real crowd control was the ground toss one - but you need rage so it's not always ready and even if you have rage you can generally only do it once. Eventually I added in the Jump which helps a tiny bit for crowds and also a bit more for movement, but it has a pretty slow timer. So my biggest complaint really with Barb was other than zooming around the screen to attack enemies it was hard to deal with crowds. Whirlwind I tried but it felt terrible, ran out super fast and did almost no damage. Overall it was fun to try Barb, but it didn't sell me much on the class again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think my biggest annoyance with Barb in the second beta (my first time playing) I found I had to use the charge / rush attack to get any movement and as a regular attack, then the only real crowd control was the ground toss one - but you need rage so it's not always ready and even if you have rage you can generally only do it once. Eventually I added in the Jump which helps a tiny bit for crowds and also a bit more for movement, but it has a pretty slow timer. So my biggest complaint really with Barb was other than zooming around the screen to attack enemies it was hard to deal with crowds. Whirlwind I tried but it felt terrible, ran out super fast and did almost no damage. Overall it was fun to try Barb, but it didn't sell me much on the class again.
For Barb, the Rallying Cry shout skill helps a lot with fury generation. Deathblow also grants fury. Ground Stomp is the main CC skill.

Whirlwind needs proper fury generation behind it before it becomes useful.

MaKTaiL

REVIEW COPIES ARE BEING DISTRIBUTED!

A friend of mine works in a gaming news outlet here in Brazil and he often gets early copies for review. Albeit he was not selected to receive a copy of Diablo 4 he said they are already out and people are already playing it for review. He also said that characters created during the review period will be deleted on release. Review copies this early is a very good sign IMO.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, the fact I was able to complete and get the rewards for both betas in the limited time they ran for is a pretty clear sign the game's going to be incredible for me. Enjoyed the second beta even more than the first.

Glad to see we get a month or so to finish the campaign before the first season begins too, so we can just jump right in and skip the story entirely then. Do they give you a leveled character too?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

A friend of mine works in a gaming news outlet here in Brazil and he often gets early copies for review. Albeit he was not selected to receive a copy of Diablo 4 he said they are already out and people are already playing it for review. He also said that characters created during the review period will be deleted on release. Review copies this early is a very good sign IMO.
Sheeet, I want to review this game 🐹

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There is a russian playing D4 right now on Twitch. Apparently it's the final game but with early pre-beta server code. Don't ask me how.

EDIT

It's dead. lol

200.gif

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rogue is a badass class. Both melee and ranged feels good with that class. Kudos to whomever designed it.

Thinking about it for a bit, I think Rogue is going to be a ridiculous PvP class. You can stack up a lot of damage multipliers with the right legendaries and the combo point system. Then, you can cast Concealment, which turns you INVISIBLE, and the next attack out of stealth is a guaranteed crit. Shit's wild.
Thinking about it a little more, Sorc is also going to be good for PvP because as far as I know, they are the only class that has a cheat death skill. I think I prefer it if no class has a cheat death skill.

DavidGzz

Have you ever played D3? Try playing to level 14 without being resource starved using spenders. Level 14 would be 20% of max level(of 70) the same percentage we got to play to in this beta since now max level is 100 and we didn't get to mess with the paragon board either. Your last sentence is more than likely correct.

Schmendrick

Have you ever played D3? Try playing to level 14 without being resource starved using spenders. Level 14 would be 20% of max level(of 70) the same percentage we got to play to in this beta since now max level is 100 and we didn't get to mess with the paragon board either. Your last sentence is more than likely correct.
i was still ressource starved at lvl 25 with all unique gear, and that definitely felt odd, especially bc at the same point in the game (or rather the Betas) my necro/sorc basically used zero ressources and instakilled everything on screen.
I`ve played Diablo since D1 and it feels as if Blizz got quite a job to do with the class balance going forward. Maybe the balance evens out later in the game but the power and ressource handling of the classes shouldn`t be that uneven during leveling.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

i was still ressource starved at lvl 25 with all unique gear, and that definitely felt odd, especially bc at the same point in the game (or rather the Betas) my necro/sorc basically used zero ressources and instakilled everything on screen.
I`ve played Diablo since D1 and it feels as if Blizz got quite a job to do with the class balance going forward. Maybe the balance evens out later in the game but the power and ressource handling of the classes shouldn`t be that uneven during leveling.

It's still lopsided in D3. A Necro will level soooo much faster than any other class and it's been 11 years. I don't think their priority is early game. End game will be what hooks us to keep buying their cosmetics. That's where the balance will matter. The early game just needs to get us from point A to B and there is tier 1 for anyone struggling.

Hooking people early game is also important, don't get me wrong. But I don't think spending too much time on that is as important as the end game power and loop. They should still try, but it's like an 80/20 importance 20 being for leveling which is where we spend about 1% of our play time if you're hardcore.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Wish I would have tried her looking back, just looked at some gameplay videos and looks really fun and crazy

Damn, I can't make my mind lol

I took some video of my level 20 Rogue farming the level 30 zone and deleting everything. I'll try and put it up later.

Here's the video I was talking about. Even at level 20, with the right gear and skills, resources don't have to be scarce.

Sorry if this has been asked. But where can I upgrade my standard edition to the ultimate edition so I can play early? I don't see the option on Xbox. Only shows the full price

omegasc

I think I know the answer to this but... if I buy the ultimate edition for PC, and decide to double dip, do I need to also buy the ultimate on PS5/XSX? I mean... how would cross-progression work in this scenario?

I think I know the answer to this but... if I buy the ultimate edition for PC, and decide to double dip, do I need to also buy the ultimate on PS5/XSX? I mean... how would cross-progression work in this scenario?
Probably related to your blizzard account, they said it had cross progression but yeah, try to get some type of confirmation like renta said

Antwix

You will retain everything related to the ultimate edition on every platform regardless of edition since it's tied to your battlenet account. The only thing you cannot do is play during early access with the standard edition if you double dipped.

Hot5pur

Niice. Any idea on the embargo?

Minsc

Gold Member
You will retain everything related to the ultimate edition on every platform regardless of edition since it's tied to your battlenet account. The only thing you cannot do is play during early access with the standard edition if you double dipped.

I wonder if you buy 3 ultimate editions if you get 3x the season pass skip points? Lol

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm probably just keeping my standard edition PC. Too many games I want to finish before I dedicate some time for this.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Ended up upgrading.

Game is clearly in a very polished state already. Gives the chance to no life the game over the first weekend for that deepest lore run.

zomboden

Banned
Is the KFC US only?
Seems to be. Rhykker said they were putting QR codes on the packaging themselves you have to scan so people won't be able to order outside US with a VPN and then not pick up the order.

Promotion isn't officially announced but people are saying US only in the rumors im seeing. We will just have to wait for the official information.

Last edited:

flipsake

Neo Member
I really hope they don't put all of the good cosmetic gear behind paywalls or add 'buy it now' options etc. but how can you give them any credit these days when the overriding feeling is that they will do something sooner or later to push you down the path of further monitization.

Antwix

Well shit, maybe I'll roll the dice and get KFC one of these days

Hopefully it's not for the double down. When I got it I could almost feel my arteries clogging.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Seems to be. Rhykker said they were putting QR codes on the packaging themselves you have to scan so people won't be able to order from US with a VPN and then not pick up the order.

Promotion isn't officially announced but people are saying US only in the rumors im seeing. We will just have to wait for the official information.
That's just shit tho. Why do they do this

Last edited:
Top Bottom