• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop giving $175 in trade for PS3/360 toward a PS4+1yr PSPlus is Pro Member

Cowboom right now is having some amazing deals on used PS3/Xbox 360 consoles.

Coupon X36032615 for 360s bring it down to $80+tax.

Coupon PS3S32615 for PS3s bring it down to $100+tax.

Bought one of each to trade in at Gamestop for the $175 per system credit towards a new PS4. It's the only way I can think of to get a new PS4 and hope to enjoy Bloodborne real soon.

Wouldn't you need the cables and controllers to trade them in? Some don't include ac cords and a majority of them don't include controllers.

Wag

I'm tempted to do this but if there's going to be a 4k refresh of PS4/XBox One I think I'll wait for those.

Wreav

Banned
Funny, I put my 320gb PS3 and 250gb Xbox on ebay last week. Neither sold. I certainly don't need another PS4 though.

Meier

Huh, that's a damn good deal. Might go ahead and buy a second one for the living room. The only problem is the lack of PS3 Media Server equivalent.. ugh. I wouldn't have anything to stream stuff to.

Wreav

Banned
Controller charger? Did the PS3 come with a usb cable? I don't recall the 360 coming with a play and charge kit.

Meier

Yes, and any AV cable (composite, component, or HDMI) and your controller charger.

These fucks made me buy a standard issue Xbox 360 cable ($12 or something) when I tried to trade one in with an HDMI cable in the past. -_- Got like $2 credit for the HDMI cable.. wasn't thinking, but I should have just held onto it. Buyer beware.

Controller charger? Did the PS3 come with a usb cable? I don't recall the 360 coming with a play and charge kit.

Yes it did. (the PS3)

Poop!

Yes, PS3 came with a USB cable to charge controllers but if you bought an extra controller there is no USB in the box.

360 came with a pack of AA batteries.

If the PS4 had a Media Player for videos over the network & they let me put this toward a gift card, I'd be in there like swimwear. Cuz I have a PS4 already, lol.
Plex, my good man!

Doesn't Plex require a $100 sub for the Pro edition to even use it?

Elandyll

Banned
I'm tempted to do this but if there's going to be a 4k refresh of PS4/XBox One I think I'll wait for those.

Wa?

If you mean a 4K video support via change in the Blu-Ray player to support BDXL or something like that, there is a very very remote chance of that happening imho.
Really close to 0.
Really.

But if you mean 4K gaming via an update in the console specs (CPU/ GPU), you then go into negative chances territory, right there.

Now if you mean you want to wait for the PS5 or XBTwo ... ok.

Wreav

Banned
Pretty sure you can use it through the browser for free.

In reality, everyone should just be using a Chromecast anyways, Plex is totally free for that and the functionality is unrivaled.

i think i'm gonna head in and make the trade today. luckily all i have for ps3 that isn't digital is a second controller, last of us, and GT5, and thanks to ps+ i didn't spend more than $60 or so on digital games. pretty much just want bloodborne but i'm sure some other stuff will show up down the line.

so if i buy PUR there before i buy my console i'll get a free year of ps+ and TLOU codes on my receipt, is that confirmed to be correct?

Sotha_Sil

Damn that's a great deal. I get back from my field shift April 1st, looks like the offer will be valid a few days after.

Looks like the time to upgrade is now, I guess I can finally play TLOU, too. Then it's Bloodborne time. Then The Witcher 3 time.

Parablank

so my rabbit has chewed on the ps3 power cable a couple of times and now it's completely covered with electrical tape

would they still take it

i also opened it up at some point so the factory seal isn't there

ps3 extra controllers; are you pretty much boned and have to pony up for them? any sites have decent discounts or reoccurring sales? i'd like to at least be able to play sports games with my buddy even tho i know the split screen games are gonna be very limited

Not if you play them through the web browser app in the PS4 browser...

After giving this a whirl, I see what you mean. Very impressive, considering it's running through the browser. I wonder when Plex will finish the app, so you don't require a sub for it to play nice with a remote. :p

Wreav

Banned
Any of you guys trading in PS3s...did yours have flaky capacitive buttons?

Mine work like 5% of the time...I feel like GS wouldn't take the trade for that reason.

Gusto

I went yesterday and sold 2 360's and my extra copies of Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros WiiU and my small launch 3DS. I walked out with a PS4 and with the promo got PS+ for a year, TLoU, and $77 back.

It all depends on who's working, if they're cool with you, they'll take more than 1 console for the $175 credit.

Does anyone know how receptive they are to taking PS3's with larger HDDs than they shipped with? I've got a 160gb model that I dropped a 250gb in (because the 160gb was dying).

Does anyone know how receptive they are to taking PS3's with larger HDDs than they shipped with? I've got a 160gb model that I dropped a 250gb in (because the 160gb was dying).

You might check around with the Gamestops in your area. When the manager plugged mine in to make sure it worked, she was specifically looking for units with cheap knock-off hard drives in them. (I had my original HDD in there so it was fine.)

Fuck that, I've got hundreds of songs on my PS3 for SingStar. I'm not starting over or re-downloading all of them. Yes, my PS3 is now a Netflix/karaoke machine, come at me Sony Defense Force.

You might check around with the Gamestops in your area. When the manager plugged mine in to make sure it worked, she was specifically looking for units with cheap knock-off hard drives in them. (I had my original HDD in there so it was fine.)

Mine isn't a cheap knockoff, haha...just not the one it came with. I'll give it a whirl. I could even be convinced to trade in my 360 with it, if they'd give me $175 for each. As much as I think I'll play my old games again, if I haven't touched them in the past year, what makes me think I will in the future, too. =/

Wreav

Banned
Argh, the local gamestop said they don't accept PS3s with after-purchase hard drives. Didn't care that it was a WD Black drive, which is better than the fucking factory drive. Oh well.

Argh, the local gamestop said they don't accept PS3s with after-purchase hard drives. Didn't care that it was a WD Black drive, which is better than the fucking factory drive. Oh well.

That sucks, dude. My local GS took my 160gb model with a 250gb drive just last night. Find another GS, pronto. There was no discussion about it at all. Trade in and out with my PS4.

zhixson

Argh, I'd take advantage of this in a heartbeat if at least my PS1 and PS2 classics worked on the thing. Think it's worth the gamble that more backward compatibility will be added later?

t_wilson01

I went to four different Gamesstops in three days trying to figure out how to get the best deal since I was willing to trade two PS3s (a 320GB slim and a 250GB super slim).

Gamestop #1: Any PS3 model (even the fat one, which was surprising to me) is accepted as long as the hard drive is at least 120GB. I forgot to ask about trading in two PS3s towards one PS4.

Gamestop #2: Fat PS3 models are not accepted at all. One PS3 would be accepted at $175, the other at the regular rate.

Gamestop #3: Again, fat PS3s are not accepted. The employee was unsure if two PS3s could be scanned towards one PS4, but she was willing to try. I had to backup my data and deactivate the systems so I couldn't do it then.

I go back to this store the next day and a different employee is there. He will only accept one PS3 (or trade them in separately). I give him the slim. He turns it on and fiddles with the menus, but doesn't try out a game. He says I'll get $137 because the system and controller are not in very good condition. Both are in better shape than the used systems they sell, so I said forget it and took it back.

Gamestop #4: At this point I was no longer interested in selling a fat PS3 so I didn't ask about it. Over the phone, the employee is not sure about PS3s towards one PS4, but says it should work. He turns on both systems and tries out a game to make sure to both work, he even connected them using the composite cables I gave him. No issues what so ever.

16720918567_f4d6d0cfa8_c.jpg

It went much better that I could have hoped because I only had to pay tax on $49.99 instead of the full price. Not bad at all. :)

Wreav

Banned
Dropped into Gamestop, and they were ready to take my janky ass fat PS3 with aftermarket HDD, but then said they couldn't give me credit for my 250gb 360 Elite because "it doesn't have 4gb internal space". Unbelievable. No where in the ad does it say they require a slim model. Called around to other stores, got the same story.

Edit: and no sooner did I post this, he called back and said he felt terrible, and he'd make the deal. Out the door for $54 with two models they technically shouldn't be taking in for trades.

Heysoos

How does it work if I go through with the trade in, but decide not to keep the PS4 and return it? Do I just get refunded the full store credit of $175 or will they just try to give me back what the regular value of the trade in would be?

Parablank

so my rabbit has chewed on the ps3 power cable a couple of times and now it's completely covered with electrical tape

would they still take it

i also opened it up at some point so the factory seal isn't there

update on this if anybody is interested

i traded it in no problem, even with the shady power cord and missing warranty sticker.

got a ps4 + bloodborne for $160 with the ps3 trade in and some other games, pretty nice if you ask me :)

sales people told me that the ps4 and bloodborne are selling really well, i saw like 10 other ps3 units behind the counter

Daigoro

Dropped into Gamestop, and they were ready to take my janky ass fat PS3 with aftermarket HDD, but then said they couldn't give me credit for my 250gb 360 Elite because "it doesn't have 4gb internal space". Unbelievable. No where in the ad does it say they require a slim model. Called around to other stores, got the same story.

Edit: and no sooner did I post this, he called back and said he felt terrible, and he'd make the deal. Out the door for $54 with two models they technically shouldn't be taking in for trades.

hm i was wondering the same thing about my older 360 with the 250g drive.

tempting, but im not sure i feel like doing the legwork trying to find a store to take that model as a trade in. sounds like you got lucky.

Ants

If anyone works at GameStop, or could otherwise find some sort of official word on this:

If I have multiple systems to trade in, can I get the discount multiple times? ie, if I trade in 3 360s, do I then get $525 in credit to a PS4?

PreFire

That's actually pretty good. Too bad I want to keep my PS3 :mad:

Seriously, it's tempting. Too bad I still by games for my 360 lol (recently bought Arkham Origins, City, MGS HD, and a few online purchases) plus the Xbox free for gold is great.

But fuck, $175 damn that's good

Edit: just reread the op
175 toward a ps4 I already own. Fuck. I thought it was cash and 1 year ps plus. Knew this sounded too good to be true. It's basically trade in value.

Lemstar

If anyone works at GameStop, or could otherwise find some sort of official word on this:

If I have multiple systems to trade in, can I get the discount multiple times? ie, if I trade in 3 360s, do I then get $525 in credit to a PS4?
The official word is that there is no official word. Odds are very, very poor that any location will let you trade in three towards one PS4, but I don't believe the system prohibits it. Past that, YMMV.

Top Bottom