• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

Llyranor

I was running after my squad leader (Nickiepoo, another GAFer), as we were dashing for the objective. I hide behind a wall while he jumps into a crater. Arty falls all around us. I then make a dash for it. Fire pins me down so I jump into the crater as well. I notice his mangled corpse in the crater. As my stamina recovers, I try to make a final sprint.

But I never left the crater.

demolitio

Llyranor said:
I was running after my squad leader (Nickiepoo, another GAFer), as we were dashing for the objective. I hide behind a wall while he jumps into a crater. Arty falls all around us. I then make a dash for it. Fire pins me down so I jump into the crater as well. I notice his mangled corpse in the crater. As my stamina recovers, I try to make a final sprint.

Most excellent...muahahaha. I was lucky to even get the coordinates in as I dodged fire, but I saw how many were near the wall and I got excited and figured it was my duty as CO to make sure no Russian got close. :p

I fell in love with the MP40 tonight as well. It's so damn good for a person like me who usually rushes to the front line.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Man, I was getting hit with spawning and suppression bugs left and right tonight. Dunno what was up with that. If they just fixed up that much I'd be so content. :/

Shawsie64

Banned
On apartments tonight I done a bayonet charge and killed two Germans with one thrust who were in a line.. all while my character yelled was so good!

and dunno what they done but performance for me is great now :))

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I would like to ask 3 questions.

1. Is this game MP only?
2. Is it worth it for $32USD?
3. Has there been a patch released since the game launched?

Not very exciting questions I know, but there is a special on for cheap and I'm umming and arring about jumping in even if it's just for a few weeks.

Max

I am not Max
Jumped from Honor level 25 to 35, and somehow my Kar98 jumped from 8 to 23

Stat fix + reset asap

Gen X said:
I would like to ask 3 questions.

1. Is this game MP only?
2. Is it worth it for $32USD?
3. Has there been a patch released since the game launched?

Not very exciting questions I know, but there is a special on for cheap and I'm umming and arring about jumping in even if it's just for a few weeks.
1. No it has single-player campaigns for both Germany and Russia, albeit the multiplayer maps with bots afaik
2. Yes. If you are wary, wait for the inevitable free weekend
3. Yes there have been two now with various fixes, and they'll be continuing to patch until problems are to a minimum

Sober

God, the PPSH41 climbs like crazy, even when zoomed in. Nabbed one off a dead Russian while inside a building on a match of station. I mean, yeah I panicked, but I let that thing rip and I got him while TK'ing 2 others. Almost have AVT-like recoil but with much more bullets.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Llyranor said:

if we're sharing war stories:

i was crawling on my belly over one of the rail carts on station, trying to get an angle on an enemy reinforcement line. i scanned my periphery and caught a glimpse of a german mauser pointing straight at me some 40 meters away, leaning out from behind one of the larger carriages. i let off a mosin-nagant round in his direction and immediately ducked behind the lip of the cart, ready to make precisely zeroed second shot. i raised back up to take it, and again the german leaned in my direction. i clicked to let off another round but quickly realized i hadn't bolted my rifle. i thought i was dead.

yet in the time it took me to rebolt my rifle, the german soldier's lean had continued into a fall. he was gut shot from the first round and had bled out slowly.

my relief at this point did nothing to prepare me for the bayonet wielding kraut sneaking up on me from behind.

Gen X

Man those stories sound awesome, looking forward to getting into this now.

It's going to be a wake up call that's for sure as I haven't used a kb and mouse for gaming since 2005. lol.

Relax.MX

Gen X said:
It's going to be a wake up call that's for sure as I haven't used a kb and mouse for gaming since 2005. lol.

Wrong game to start to play...i guess (is not hard but not easy, no rambo-MW-Style here XO)

Until the download its complete play Portal(is free on steam)...

EDIT: You know what? its a perfect game to back to PC, its a game that you never see on console, is not a console kind of game

Sober

ghst said:
if we're sharing war stories:

i was crawling on my belly over one of the rail carts on station, trying to get an angle on an enemy reinforcement line. i scanned my periphery and caught a glimpse of a german mauser pointing straight at me some 40 meters away, leaning out from behind one of the larger carriages. i let off a mosin-nagant round in his direction and immediately ducked behind the lip of the cart, ready to make precisely zeroed second shot. i raised back up to take it, and again the german leaned in my direction. i clicked to let off another round but quickly realized i hadn't bolted my rifle. i thought i was dead.

yet in the time it took me to rebolt my rifle, the german soldier's lean had continued into a fall. he was gut shot from the first round and had bled out slowly.

my relief at this point did nothing to prepare me for the bayonet wielding kraut sneaking up on me from behind.
I love manual bolting. Every death because I forgot to bolt is always worth laughing at. Situations like this are hilarious because it's that ridiculous trope where both guys turn the corner but the guy who gets the drop on you has a weapon jam or something. I died with a looted empty rifle once, that was hilarious stuff.

Although for bleeding out, I wish they just put you in 3rd person cam so I know I have no chance to recover.

Gen X

Relax.MX said:
Wrong game to start to play...i guess (is not hard but not easy, no rambo-MW-Style here XO)

Until the download its complete play Portal(is free on steam)...

EDIT: You know what? its a perfect game to back to PC, its a game that you never see on console, is not a console kind of game

Actually, I tell a lie, I forgot I went on a bit of a binge of PC games in Sept last year when I bought a gaming rig. Played a bit of Metro 2033, Arma 2 OA and Stalker (Which I bought for $1.99 about 3 years ago in a Steam sale in anticipation of getting a gaming rig).

But aside from that, even the PC games I've been playing recently like Crysis 1&2, Dead Island and Deus Ex were all played with a 360 controller. I know RO2 will require a mouse and I am cool with that.

demolitio

We need to do a GAF server blitzkrieg sometime soon where we all try to get on and join the same server and have some fun and we could split it up by hemispheres if people are worried about pings. :p

I think that would be a lot of fun. I pretty much only join a game when I see a gaffer is playing there so I've played with a lot of you I'm sure but you probably never noticed except for the poor souls that met my artillery today. They had no choice but to notice my wrath! :D

I'm having a lot more fun with this game now and I'll be hooked to it once the performance issues are ironed out. I still have a memory leak or something after so long of playing the game so it makes it hard for me to play for hours on end. Tonight was probably the most I've played ever since the last night on the beta when it ran well.

My ingame name is -Demo- so look out for me. The group is really coming in handy for joining you guys.

Gen X

Just had a bash on single player, think I'll dive into some multi now for a quick burst at getting owned, lol.

Gen X

....and no dice. Tried about 8 different servers and getting the same result. Choose class, join game, wait to spawn and then by the time I spawn it's like the connection has times out. Players no responding, sometimes I can't move, but all the same results, no gameplay. Not sure what is up with it.

Enjoying it so far, just figured out the squad leader-y/radio stuff from a youtube video.

I seem to be better at rifling in the short time I've played this than I ever was in RO, although part of that could be because most of the people playing this are still getting used to it. Performance is OK, I have it set on high with AA knocked down a bit, and I'm not having any serious issues... yet.

Gen X

Shawsie64 said:
Try the fix ghst posted in this thread..I'd link but i'm on my phone..

If you're referring to that zip file, I just tried that and it worked for the last few mins of one round and a couple of minutes into the next before the same thing happened again. Anyway, bed now, will investigate further tomorrow. :)

Nemic77

Gen X said:
....and no dice. Tried about 8 different servers and getting the same result. Choose class, join game, wait to spawn and then by the time I spawn it's like the connection has times out. Players no responding, sometimes I can't move, but all the same results, no gameplay. Not sure what is up with it.

Try this fix: Telnet Fix

Had the same problem as you, and only this helped me. Good luck...

okay after two days of frustrating experiences i had a pretty nice round today. it was on that map with the trains. i was upstairs in one of the buildings and couldnt see any enemies at all. after a while i noticed the muzzle flashes in the windows in the building opposite to me. i was able to kill at least 5 only by shooting at the spots where i saw the flash (to hide better i wasnt standing right at the window but a little bit further away from it). the 6th flash i saw was meant for me and i dropped down dead.

legacyzero

Banned
I dont have the greatest PC by any means. But this game runs like crap for me. Most often, when I turn more than 45 degrees, my FPS chokes up. It's almost like It has to load it all into the memory again. I have 8GB of ram, could I have a memory problem?

legacyzero said:
I dont have the greatest PC by any means. But this game runs like crap for me. Most often, when I turn more than 45 degrees, my FPS chokes up. It's almost like It has to load it all into the memory again. I have 8GB of ram, could I have a memory problem?
Specs, settings?

legacyzero said:
AMD quad core
4890 1GB
8GB mem

And I'm running on High. I set it down to medium and still have the inconsistent framerate.
Should be OK, Running a 5850 and AMD qc. Performance has taken a hit with the latest patch for me though. In general I'd disable the in-game AA and if you want to have it, force it externally. Disable ambient occlusion and play around with one thread lag. For some disabling it nets more frames, for others it's the other way round. Try disabling dof in the ini and motion blur in the menu.

Sethos said:
Are you using MLAA?
MLAA runs way better than FXAA on my 5850 (in-game settings that is). I wouldn't use the in-game at all in the current state (see above).

legacyzero

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Should be OK, Running a 5850 and AMD qc. Performance has taken a hit with the latest patch for me though. In general I'd disable the in-game AA and if you want to have it, force it externally. Disable ambient occlusion and play around with one thread lag. For some disabling it nets more frames, for others it's the other way round. Try disabling dof in the ini and motion blur in the menu.

MLAA runs way better than FXAA on my 5850 (in-game settings that is). I wouldn't use the in-game at all in the current state (see above).
good to know I'm not the only one then.. I'll have to play around with it some more. It's the only game I own out of the 100 that freaks out like this with the FPS.

Sethos

Banned
Phife Dawg said:

MLAA runs like shit on some cards, when you turn it re-renders the scene with the post-processing AA and drops the FPS by 20-30 each time you do a fast turn.

FXAA runs fine for me.

R2D4

Banned
They really need to fix the achievement bugs in this game. I just got the 250 kill achievement and I have barely 20 real kills.

I hope I am not expecting too much from Tripwire in terms of improving performance on my rig.

Q6600
GTS 450
4 GB ram

I can't manage a steady 30 fps for any setting from medium to lowest. It spikes from 35 down to 15 regardless of the setting. I'm beginning to wonder if any improvements they make are really going to give me a significant boost.

Sethos said:
MLAA runs like shit on some cards, when you turn it re-renders the scene with the post-processing AA and drops the FPS by 20-30 each time you do a fast turn.

FXAA runs fine for me.
That's good for you. Runs bad for me. The in-game AA options don't look good and take a lot of resources - best to leave them disabled.

R2D4 said:
They really need to fix the achievement bugs in this game. I just got the 250 kill achievement and I have barely 20 real kills.
They should just restart everything (achievements, progress etc.), weapon progress is totally bugged atm.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Rough day today...

Realized stats doesn't save. Wonder when I'll get to try out new weapons.
Crashed about 5-6 times.
Ping was around 300 regardless of server.
Got that server disconnect bug, solved it with that Telnet fix ( thanks ).

Still not giving up, I love this game too much.

rabhw

Anyone have the bug where all sounds stop playing after a map change? Can't get them to play without restarting the game...

Llyranor

I'm less annoyed by elite prototype German assault weaponry now. One bayonet stab still does the job.
rabhw said:
Anyone have the bug where all sounds stop playing after a map change? Can't get them to play without restarting the game...
Yeah, occasionally. The only thing that seems to work for me is restarting the game.

Vastag

rabhw said:

Yes, the same happened to me. I also had a scary bug with PB detecting some imaginary speed hack, I thought I was going to be banned because of it.

Dakota47

Vastag said:
Yes, the same happened to me. I also had a scary bug with PB detecting some imaginary speed hack, I thought I was going to be banned because of it.

That PB bug happened to me as well. I tried to sprint in an area where I wasn't suppose to walk I think.

I have had the audio bug once.

Nickiepoo

Vastag said:

Seems to happen if your connection hiccups while you're sprinting.

Did anyone have their hits not register properly? Like putting bullets into a guy and seeing them connect but no kill?

First I thought it was a ping issue but I also encountered this with normal pings.

rabhw said:
I got that on two occasions as well, don't know what the cause is. Was on different servers with different settings. Sound drivers are up to date.

This build seems to be the most unstable yet for me. I had a couple CTDs as well and I also get crackling and distorted sound effects.

Sethos said:
Why are you even getting princess upset when I'm trying to identify his issue and you butt in? I wasn't talking to you in the first place.
Someone does sound upset.

Top Bottom