• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad |OT| You're already dead... by friendly fire

I've run into a bug where occasionally, upon aiming down a sight and firing for the first time, you won't fire at all. It only occasionally happens, but it's still gotten me killed a few times.

Oh, and the grain silo/tower/whatever the hell it is map is awesome. I love the verticality of it and the multiple ways an assault or defence can be approached. Makes it feel less "game-like" and a bit more like a real fight.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
I've run into a bug where occasionally, upon aiming down a sight and firing for the first time, you won't fire at all. It only occasionally happens, but it's still gotten me killed a few times..

OMFG!

I thought it was just me....

This is by FAR the worst bug I have ever encountered, really puts me in a bad fucking mood...

vocab

I've run into a bug where occasionally, upon aiming down a sight and firing for the first time, you won't fire at all. It only occasionally happens, but it's still gotten me killed a few times.

Oh, and the grain silo/tower/whatever the hell it is map is awesome. I love the verticality of it and the multiple ways an assault or defence can be approached. Makes it feel less "game-like" and a bit more like a real fight.

Yup. That shit is awful.

My performance in 64 man servers is absolutely abysmal. Stable 30 fps. Feels so choppy. Really hope the next set of ati drivers, and the next couple of patches improve performance tremendously.

I am doing so much better now that I am gaming on a GTX 580 and not integrated graphics.

Maxed out I am managing to get around 60-70 fps.

I just wish the game was more balanced. Put 2 equally skilled teams against each other and the German team will steam roll every time.

Axis team has a Better Machine gun, the STG 44, Mp40.

Mp40 out ranges the Russian SMG every time
STG 44 has no equal on the Russian Side
Mg34 outclasses the Russian MG.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
R2D4 said:
They really need to fix the achievement bugs in this game. I just got the 250 kill achievement and I have barely 20 real kills.

Tell me about it, only played the game for 1.9hrs and 1hr of that was trying to get multi to work and look at my achs. Finished the game, apparently. lol

8zn3es.jpg

Max

I am not Max
Two of my friends just bought this game, they both have better rigs than I do yet their game runs like shit while I'm cutting through Ultra settings like nothing.

Sucks that such wacky optimization is going to deter my friends until it's fixed

demolitio

Max said:
Two of my friends just bought this game, they both have better rigs than I do yet their game runs like shit while I'm cutting through Ultra settings like nothing.

Sucks that such wacky optimization is going to deter my friends until it's fixed
Now you know I wasn't being crazy.

I actually had to laugh out loud when I was on the TW forums and saw a thread called:

"How to beat Panzer IV's with t-34s"

Then it said "It's balanced if you employ proper tactics." and had this .gif:

tanksexnktw.gif

Yep, I have that as well. Really hurts in close quarters.

demolitio said:
Now you know I wasn't being crazy.

I actually had to laugh out loud when I was on the TW forums and saw a thread called:

"How to beat Panzer IV's with t-34s"

Then it said "It's balanced if you employ proper tactics." and had this .gif:

http://www.abload.de/img/tanksexnktw.gif
LOL!

So it is unbalanced after all in terms of tanks? I just thought I suck as per usual. Cool, now I can blame balancing issued while being on the Russian side ;).

Sethos

Banned
gibon3z said:
I am doing so much better now that I am gaming on a GTX 580 and not integrated graphics.

I just wish the game was more balanced. Put 2 equally skilled teams against each other and the German team will steam roll every time.

MKb 42 :p

STG 44 is a different year and a much improved design.

*Pedantic*

Sethos said:
MKBb42 :p

STG 44 is a different year and a much improved design.

*Pedantic*

It's actually a MKB 42 ;/.
I learned the hard way by calling it an STG 44 in game only to be berated by the very knowledgeable players. They were also complaining about how many mp40s were present in the game they stated there were not that many in Stalingrad.

demolitio

Phife Dawg said:
Yep, I have that as well. Really hurts in close quarters.

LOL!

So it is unbalanced after all in terms of tanks? I just thought I suck as per usual. Cool, now I can blame balancing issued while being on the Russian side ;).
I actually don't have much of a problem and I'm in a tank any chance I get. It does seem to take more shots to completely damage one side of the armor but you're mostly supposed to go after the important things that can make it go kaboom. :D There's diagrams of where those important things are at on the Panzer in TW's press kit but I never found one for the T-34.

Basically it's all about getting your tank perfectly angled at the enemy so there's a high chance of a ricochet. But I do find that I lose critical tank functions in the T-34 before I do in the Panzer on the whole, but that might just be the enemy's awareness beating me out.

I'm curious to see how the other two tanks are going to play into it all. Are we going to be able to select which tank similar to how we do with the guns on the role selection page? I just can't wait to see their pros and cons compared to the other tanks and what they excel at. If they're any better than the current ones than we'll never see the old ones again so I'm hoping they all have their own weaknesses so no tank is better than the other.

This game is amazing...Nothing tops the feeling of getting all 3 of the top scores on the end game screen. Now if only I could get the most dishonorable while still getting the other 3 and I'd had a perfect sweep! :D

gibon3z said:
It's actually a MKB 42 ;/.
I learned the hard way by calling it an STG 44 in game only to be berated by the very knowledgeable players. They were also complaining about how many mp40s were present in the game they stated there were not that many in Stalingrad.
Don't get me started on all of that. They bitch constantly to TW telling them to take shit away in the name of realism leaving us with little variety. I'm a huge history nut but I like FUN games more and RO has always been a blend of authenticity and fun. I call it the STG ingame and really don't care because that's essentially what it is a few years later while it's easier for people that aren't so much into the history of it to understand what gun I'm talking about. I don't call the SCAR-H "Mk. 17" because people will understand SCAR more. Other well known guns, I'll use their military designation instead if people know that better.

People just use the realism argument only when it suits them in this game.

Sethos

Banned
With all these historical oopsies they are pulling, I wouldn't be surprised if they crammed an IS-3 in with the Soviets to balance it out.

demolitio

subversus said:
or mig-29
Don't tempt me to make a mod with that in it.

I did have an idea for the same setting but larger maps similar to BF with more vehicles and also some aerial units to make it really chaotic. I think it'd be a nice change of pace from the vanilla game while still having that RO feel that no other game has. A strafing run in this game could have some awesome effects...lol

I still want a Korean War mod. :(

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
So um, where are you supposed to shoot with the anti tank rifle? I figured it was probably more for personnel in the tank so I try to shoot where I think they will be and that hasn't worked out. I usually use it to snipe dudes because I find the slow heavy shot hitting its target in a spray of red to be very satisfying.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Laying on my belly, machine gun deployed, I just iced a few guys who were running to a window and I got two bayonet achievements out of it lawl.

Also I'm probably the only one who didn't know this, but on Grain Elevator, you know where the first cap is? You know that hallway with the windows, with the building across from it? There's a group of boxes just outside, to the left, which you can hop on to get on the roof. The storage area just to the left of that is a little bit higher, so you can climb up, prone, and have a great view of the Allies coming in through that building, all while your side is being covered. Okay, so this is a shitty way of explaining it, heh, but it's a pretty nice place to set up at the beginning of the map if you're Axis, and can get to it quickly enough.

Sethos

Banned
LyarVonLyar said:
So um, where are you supposed to shoot with the anti tank rifle? I figured it was probably more for personnel in the tank so I try to shoot where I think they will be and that hasn't worked out. I usually use it to snipe dudes because I find the slow heavy shot hitting its target in a spray of red to be very satisfying.

Aim for the weak spots of the armor, where it doesn't slope. Back tends to be the weakest, then the sides depending on the tank, parts of the upper hull also tends to be weak and you generally avoid the front as that's the heaviest armored area on most tanks.

This is based on general tank combat, I'm sure they implemented some of the same.

demolitio

LyarVonLyar said:
Here's the hitboxes from the first RO that can give you a general idea if you look at the pics of the tanks from RO2: http://www.redorchestragame.com/index.php?categoryid=3&p13_sectionid=2

Basically, there's a few areas that guarantee success after a couple of shots at the right angle. Finding that perfect shot while in the middle of a battle is another story. You want to go for the ammo dump near the bottom of the tank since that thing will light on fire and make it go kaboom.

Here's the Panzer diagram from RO2: http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/35450/fffe0429208040511e3c1d44198e6dbc2dcb08fc.jpg

And discussion on it: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=58877

Beaner

gibon3z said:

Are you completely maxed? What're your specs? On a 580 and 2500k I'm getting about 40-50 on everything maxed, sometimes dropping to 30's.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
Thanks for the tips. 1hr left to sit in the office and twiddle my thumbs dreamin' of shootin' some tanks. :[

I actually have a strong desire to make a tank explode with that rifle now. So where do I get some of those refined uranium tipped rounds that one anti-tank plane shoots out. They seem to be super effective!

pelican

Played this for the first time last night. In the end I managed to get single digit kills, but felt like I was getting sniped by a Rifleman every time I moved out of the spawn area.

I went into this open eyed as I knew the learning curve was pretty steep, but that experience last night was borderline ridiculous especially when I am pretty decent at shooters.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
For me, I began to do much better after I got more experience with the maps to understand them and most importantly the flow of combat.

I still have many ups and downs with this game. Some games are awesome fun while others are just bleh, haven't put my finger on why yet tho.

demolitio

dogmanstaruk said:
Played this for the first time last night. In the end I managed to get single digit kills, but felt like I was getting sniped by a Rifleman every time I moved out of the spawn area.

I went into this open eyed as I knew the learning curve was pretty steep, but that experience last night was borderline ridiculous especially when I am pretty decent at shooters.
We've tried to warn people numerous times not to judge this game off of one evening. Anyone can be good at most shooters but they won't be as good in this game until they learn the maps. How can you dodge the riflemen if you don't know what the best way to go is? It's all about learning the spots to look for and the paths where you're concealed or have a lot of cover and can just move from cover to cover.

People who are good at other games play RO2 and immediately complain just because they aren't used to a whooping like that. I absolutely SUCKED in the beginning of both RO1 and RO2, but it's a game that you get better with over time and in just a few days, you'll be getting kills left and right if you're good at shooters.

Stick in there and keep trying. We warned everyone in the beta that this would happen, lol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
dogmanstaruk said:

camp and move slowly. This game is about survival and capturing objectives, not shooting and killing opponents.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Shawsie64 said:
Try the fix ghst posted in this thread..I'd link but i'm on my phone..

Nemic77 said:
Try this fix: Telnet Fix

Had the same problem as you, and only this helped me. Good luck...

Thanks, the Telnet fix worked fine. Thanks to you both and all other involved who linked/guided previously for others too. Mucho apprecio.

wilflare

anyone wanting a normal edition copy of RO2 for 30?

i gave the game another go.
kept dying and then it crashed on me X)

Anyone have any tips for using the MG's? I do really well with rifles, but last night I tried using an MG for a round and hated it. It seems you either deploy it at a window or sandbags and make yourself an easy kill, or you go prone somewhere to stay hidden, but then struggle with the game's crappy geometry.

Anyways, I'm seeing no advantage of using this thing. It's slow and cumbersome and you lose your ability to react quickly - and rifles are just as deadly.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
PoweredBySoy said:
Anyone have any tips for using the MG's? I do really well with rifles, but last night I tried using an MG for a round and hated it. It seems you either deploy it at a window or sandbags and make yourself an easy kill, or you go prone somewhere to stay hidden, but then struggle with the game's crappy geometry.

Anyways, I'm seeing no advantage of using this thing. It's slow and cumbersome and you lose your ability to react quickly - and rifles are just as deadly.
MGs take a while to play properly. Not only will you run out of ammo spraying, but you need to be quiet before you unleash. Might not be for everyone but don't hesitate to simply run around toting the thing on your hip in close quarters; it's a great weapon to use against Germans running around with MKb 42s and MP40s.

iam220

Well this has officially become my go-to shooter. Despite all the bugs and problems no other game immerses me like RO2. There's just something special about looking down the sights of a bolt action rifle and carefully lining up that all important first shot and dropping someone from 150m away. I'm not sure how to describe it, its pure bliss.

While the game might not be on the level of realism as say arma 2; playing it realistically, as if you only had one life to live really pays off in terms of added fun factor and your in game score. Technical issues aside, I couldn't have asked for a better "realistic" shooter.

iam220 said:
Well this has officially become my go-to shooter.

Considering I'm completely burned out on CoD, and maybe even Battlefield, I kind of feel this way too - assuming they're going to keep polishing and fixing the technical issues. The design of the game is great. That said, I'm a little concerned about the number of empty servers, especially during the off-hours. After a week the community already seems painfully small.

dogmanstaruk said:

Free your mind from the usual FPS. Find a role that suits your playing style and learn the maps by playing both sides. Don't hang around in the open, don't show your head for more time than to gauge the situation or put a bullet in some unsuspecting guy's head and you should be good. If you want to get weapon kills and be active play as assault class.

LyarVonLyar said:
It's very hard to get a tank kill with the anti tank rifle. As other mentioned try the weak parts and best angles for a penetrating hit, also remember that you can't hurt tanks from too far off.

demolitio said:
I actually don't have much of a problem and I'm in a tank any chance I get. It does seem to take more shots to completely damage one side of the armor but you're mostly supposed to go after the important things that can make it go kaboom. :D There's diagrams of where those important things are at on the Panzer in TW's press kit but I never found one for the T-34.

Basically it's all about getting your tank perfectly angled at the enemy so there's a high chance of a ricochet. But I do find that I lose critical tank functions in the T-34 before I do in the Panzer on the whole, but that might just be the enemy's awareness beating me out.

I'm curious to see how the other two tanks are going to play into it all. Are we going to be able to select which tank similar to how we do with the guns on the role selection page? I just can't wait to see their pros and cons compared to the other tanks and what they excel at. If they're any better than the current ones than we'll never see the old ones again so I'm hoping they all have their own weaknesses so no tank is better than the other.
I usually only play tank when no one else does so I'm not too knowledgeable but it did happen to me more than once that I was firing at a Panzer hitting its side while he was aiming at my front. Common knowledge told me that I would win a war of attrition, yet I was the one getting blown up. Had me puzzled.

The tanks feel awesome though, really confined and you are feeling powerful and vulnerable at the same time. The interiors with the crew are simply amazing and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Sober

Or you can always be an engineer. The AT grenades for some reason always blow up a tank no matter what as long as it hits. Don't think I've ever seen them not work, although you gotta get pretty close to do it.

pelican

demolitio said:
We've tried to warn people numerous times not to judge this game off of one evening. Anyone can be good at most shooters but they won't be as good in this game until they learn the maps. How can you dodge the riflemen if you don't know what the best way to go is? It's all about learning the spots to look for and the paths where you're concealed or have a lot of cover and can just move from cover to cover.

People who are good at other games play RO2 and immediately complain just because they aren't used to a whooping like that. I absolutely SUCKED in the beginning of both RO1 and RO2, but it's a game that you get better with over time and in just a few days, you'll be getting kills left and right if you're good at shooters.

Stick in there and keep trying. We warned everyone in the beta that this would happen, lol.

Yeah I'm sticking in there.

Going to play more tonight as I really like the look and feel of the game.

Beaner said:
Are you completely maxed? What're your specs? On a 580 and 2500k I'm getting about 40-50 on everything maxed, sometimes dropping to 30's.

I have the same specs as you i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz and a zotac gtx 580 amp its a overclocked 580.

FPS never drop below 50-53.

demolitio

Nostalgia~4ever said:
is nobody going to review this game or something? I can barely find any review of this title despite being out for days.
Destructoid just gave it an 8/10 and it's on their front page I believe. Other than that, there's not too many. I was waiting to update the OT when I at least had a few more reviews to go with so people don't just base their decision off of two reviews.

GameSpy also reviewed it.

Blair

Banned
Man i've noticed this is very much a solo game. Like if you are defending somewhere and you know you can be taken out if say, someone comes round a corner, you have to defend that corner aswell, even if you have 30 people behind you. You cannot trust anyone to get your back. Well, untill some friends buy the game and play it with me thats how its going to be. Still, i've put 10 hours in so far. Loving it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
New patch is out.

Tripwire said:
Bug Fixes
-Fixed a bug where players could spawn without a class
-Fixed a bug with auto reloading when using a manual bolt rifle
-Minor performance improvements

Level/Gameplay Fixes
Pavlov's House
-Added wall to block line of sight to one of the Allied tank spawns
-Allies now correctly get a forward spawn when capturing Zab's House
-German spawn protection was toned down to prevent Allied attackers in inside of the Voyentorg from being killed by spawn protection when objectives changed hands

Commissar's House
-Gave Allies 40 more reinforcements
-Default Allied spawn in more directly in line with Building 81
-Moved one of the initial Axis spawns back further from the Water Refinery
-Increased spawn protection and no artillery volumes for Allies
-Various cover fixes

Max

I am not Max
"-Minor performance improvements"

Only minor? But my friends can't even play the game comfortably :(

Top Bottom