• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-ramp

That Jaws theme interruption of the VFX acceptance speech was rude, and while I wish the talented VFX artists the best of luck... it's a business, and it seems like the industry is going to have to get their shit together, form a union, hold their services hostage, or something.

And the speech should have been better prioritized. Even after the music started he had time to get out a coherent statement, but didn't.

That Jaws theme interruption of the VFX acceptance speech was rude, and while I wish the talented VFX artists the best of luck... it's a business, and it seems like the industry is going to have to get their shit together, form a union, hold their services hostage, or something.

And the speech should have been better prioritized. Even after the music started he had time to get out a coherent statement, but didn't.

Sure, but I didn't think the speech was that long, not to actually cut him off. That was a bit extreme.

It just paints a bad picture.

t-ramp

Sure, but I didn't think the speech was that long, not to actually cut him off. That was a bit extreme.

It just paints a bad picture.
Sure, I think especially with all the time wasted on boring skits and stuff they should actually take a couple minutes for each award recipient to say what they want to. But at some point you have to make the best of what you're given.

Or be like Tarantino, fake being finished, and finish after the music.

Sure, I think especially with all the time wasted on boring skits and stuff they should actually take a couple minutes for each award recipient to say what they want to. But at some point you have to make the best of what you're given.

Or be like Tarantino, fake being finished, and finish after the music.

Not if they turn off your mic though.

jtb

Banned
And to have that terrible, borderline-insulting "skit" before presenting the award was just salt in the wound.

Violet_0

Banned
Tell your mom to watch Searching for Sugar Man instead.

if I remember correctly the whole premise of the movie is kind of mood because of the fact that his daughter found out about his popularity in South Africa years ago, and he even toured through the country - something which the movie conveniently forgets to tell the viewer?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
What? Ryan is the blonde guy.
He quietly waits for them to check if he is on the list. Seemed pretty normal to me.
The douche is the guy with him. Seemed like Ari Gold from Entourage.

Seriously just reposting this again, Ryan's pretty awesome on True Blood, seems like a pretty cool guy. I thought he handled the situation really well, just kind of stood there talked quietly and walked away politely. Again if I was in his shoes and got turned back I would've been pretty heated especially being a famous figure knowing somebody like TMZ would blow this up. Unfortunately the article failed to mention which one of the 2 was Ryan, so he ends up getting mixed up with his asshole friend.

My facebook is blowing up about the VFX snub. All my VFX artists are turning green (couple of lucas arts guys are putting up blue lol).

Pretty crappy when a movie you worked on grosses a billion dollars and your VFX studio has to shut down.

This was by far the most outrageous thing I saw all night. I couldn't believe they fucking cut him off like that and then let everyone in the last 30 minutes of the show talk for as long as they damn well pleased. I was and am actually mad that they got away with this and so few people called them out.

And Ang Lee didn't thank the VFX team who basically made his goddamn film...

blackflag

if I remember correctly the whole premise of the movie is kind of mood because of the fact that his daughter found out about his popularity in South Africa years ago, and he even toured through the country - something which the movie conveniently forgets to tell the viewer?

Yeah his re-discovery was years ago it's all in the documentary. Doc came out several years after this all happened.

_Isaac

This was by far the most outrageous thing I saw all night. I couldn't believe they fucking cut him off like that and then let everyone in the last 30 minutes of the show talk for as long as they damn well pleased. I was and am actually mad that they got away with this and so few people called them out.

Well, I'm sure they knew the rules beforehand. It's common knowledge the stars at the end get more time. He probably knew how much time he had, and he wasted it.

They needed that time to stroke their own egos as producers and do tributes to Chicago.

What bothers me is they cut off someone they are rewarding, but allow themselves to let presenters with bad scripted jokes go for much longer; besides all the time they waste on numbers only a handful of people might enjoy. Rudd and Mccarthy's presentation was annoyingly long and forced for example.

t-ramp

What bothers me is they cut of someone they are rewarding, but allow themselves to let presenters with bad scripted jokes go for much longer; besides all the time they waste on numbers only a handful of people might enjoy. Rudd and Mccarthy's presentation was annoyingly long and forced for example.
The entirety of the show's structuring is awful, as is most of the content. The snafu with the VFX speech just illustrates that clearly.

No reason why the show should be 3.5 hours. Cut the skits, cut the music, just pay meaningful tributes and focus the attention on the year in film and the awards and recipients. Cutting anyone off should only be a last resort if they talk for like 5 minutes.

What bothers me is they cut off someone they are rewarding, but allow themselves to let presenters with bad scripted jokes go for much longer; besides all the time they waste on numbers only a handful of people might enjoy. Rudd and Mccarthy's presentation was annoyingly long and forced for example.

Ultimately it's a show about ratings, and people tune in to see Robert Downey Jr and Julia Roberts read off a telepromter, or see speeches by people like Spielberg or DDR, which is why they get longer acceptance speech times, over some FX dudes they don't know or, sadly, care about.

CrazyDude

I have a hard time finding how it being brought up at the Oscars would have helped them any. The general public will ask why they are any more special than the millions of other struggling out there.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Being part of the VFX industry, I am heartened to hear that people on message board such as this one I visit talk about the issues facing our industry in light of what happened to Life of Pi VFX at the Oscar. It is a complex problem that doesn't have an easy solution. What is important is that we keep these dialogues going, get people's opinions, and start pushing for more equality in pay and compensation. Since this is a business, afterall, I am sure many people in other industries know what it is like to fight for your own fair share of compensation.

News are now picking up this story and I would like to share another one with GAF from Vancouver:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2338497043/

421808_10152564045700062_1874748046_n.jpg

Unfortunately, I do think this is a rather aimless outcry of anger, but I hope something good can come out of this as we direct our anger into motivation into building a better business model for VFX.

EliCash

Leo snub was pretty ridiculous - he was outstanding in Django. Also maybe slightly unfair Christoph getting the nomination since it was such a massive supporting role. But yea, I can't really believe Leo wasn't nominated, he must have pissed some people off somewhere down the line.

Like Joaquin Phoenix, who again confirmed that he's the man. Although I'm not entirely sure why he turned up. But I'm glad he did because the shake of the head was the best thing to come out of this years oscars, I really need to see The Master.

And I say I can't really believe Leo didn't receive a nomination but I can actually. Since we're talking about the same awards that never gave Martin Scorsese or Paul Schrader nominations for Taxi Driver. De Niro didn't win for that either. Not to mention Kubrick and Hitchcock never receiving anything. I'll stop there, my point is what's the point in the oscars if they consistently get it wrong and can only recognize great work in hindsight? It's increasingly more predictable each year, although they seem to have been getting the best original screenplay right recently.

Leo snub was pretty ridiculous - he was outstanding in Django. Also maybe slightly unfair Christoph getting the nomination since it was such a massive supporting role. But yea, I can't really believe Leo wasn't nominated, he must have pissed some people off somewhere down the line.

Like Joaquin Phoenix, who again confirmed that he's the man. Although I'm not entirely sure why he turned up. But I'm glad he did because the shake of the head was the best thing to come out of this years oscars, I really need to see The Master.

And I say I can't really believe Leo didn't receive a nomination but I can actually. Since we're talking about the same awards that never gave Martin Scorsese or Paul Schrader nominations for Taxi Driver. De Niro didn't win for that either. Not to mention Kubrick and Hitchcock never receiving anything. I'll stop there, my point is what's the point in the oscars if they consistently get it wrong and can only recognize great work in hindsight? It's increasingly more predictable each year, although they seem to have been getting the best original screenplay right recently.

I thought Tarantino won last night?

EliCash

I thought Tarantino won last night?

I thought the script was impressive. It's what he does best. Normally I'd go with Wes but I wasn't so hot on Moonrise. He should already have his best screeplay award.

I mean it couldn't be Flight or Zero Dark Thirty could it? I haven't read or seen Amour so I can't comment.

I say recently, recently means this and Midnight in Paris last year. What was before that? The King's Speech? I suppose it wasn't a good year that year but still, that's not so good.

_Isaac

I have a hard time finding how it being brought up at the Oscars would have helped them any. The general public will ask why they are any more special than the millions of other struggling out there.

It probably helped them more that he was cut off. There seems to be more of a scandal and more attention to the cause. If he had said his piece, people would've listened and then moved on.

RangersFan

haha, Geek Time will have the VFX guy who won for Life of Pi who got cut off during his speech on to finish his speech. SiriusXM Howard 101 12pm Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom