• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.
And some actors had their performances hampered by a shitty script. You shouldn't have to make excuses for an Academy Award winning performance. The fact of the matter is, Waltz has won two Best Supporting Actor awards for basically putting in carbon copy performances. I don't mind nominating him for the performance, but to nominate him over Samuel L. Jackson or Leonardo DiCaprio, who gave performances that were distinctive, transformative and brilliant, and then to give him the award over people like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was a complete travesty IMO.

Not to mention Philip Seymour Hoffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman too.

effe

Banned
And some actors had their performances hampered by a shitty script. You shouldn't have to make excuses for an Academy Award winning performance. The fact of the matter is, Waltz has won two Best Supporting Actor awards for basically putting in carbon copy performances. I don't mind nominating him for the performance, but to nominate him over Samuel L. Jackson or Leonardo DiCaprio, who gave performances that were distinctive, transformative and brilliant, and then to give him the award over people like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was a complete travesty IMO.

bowing to you for saying what i couldn't tbh.

jtb

Banned

Well said.

He plays the same role because QT wrote Schultz almost the exact same as Landa. They are two sides of the same coin, and Waltz played them as such.

I understand that you were a fan of SLJ and Leo's performances, and I agree wholeheartedly that either of them should have won over Waltz. Both were more memorable. That being said, I've yet to hear good reasons why Waltz's performances in both films were essentially the same. I've heard the argument itself, but I've yet to hear it be supported in any way. Simply stating an opinion doesn't convince other people.

If you believe that the performances are inherently similar, I would love to hear your argument.

Solo

Perhaps I'm confused (because your response feels in opposition to mine), but.....we're in agreement. I was the one who made the original "Waltz won twice for the same role" post.

RangersFan

just re-watching ben affleck's speech for best picture and realized the 3rd producer with affleck and clooney is this guy:
7900.gif

I fucking loved him in True Lies!

Violet_0

Banned
Fucking Argo. Fucking Brave. Reminds me why I never give a damn about the Academy Awards.

did we at least get any good gifs out of this?

harSon

Banned
Perhaps I'm confused (because your response feels in opposition to mine), but.....we're in agreement. I was the one who made the original "Waltz won twice for the same role" post.

I just assumed, seeing your name, that our arguments were opposite of one another :p

Angry Fork

Anyone have a link to the full event? I missed it and it's not up on youtube yet.

I'm glad Tarantino won, it's been a long time since Pulp Fiction, but I really wish he got it for Inglourious Basterds instead which I thought was his best work since Pulp and better than Django. If I had to guess Django win is an apology for giving in to the mediocre Hurt Locker.

Grifter

Anyone have a link to the full event? I missed it and it's not up on youtube yet.

I'm glad Tarantino won, it's been a long time since Pulp Fiction, but I really wish he got it for Inglourious Basterds instead which I thought was his best work since Pulp and better than Django. If I had to guess Django win is an apology for giving in to the mediocre Hurt Locker.

yeah, that makes sense.

What was the last time an actor won for a comedic role?

For straight-up comedy? Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda, maybe.

Edit: Forgot about Alan Arkin, but Little Miss Sunshine has that kind of half drama half comedy thing going on. It's rare that someone is recognized for balls-out comedic acting these days, like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder or Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids. It's even rarer that they win.

Oersted

For straight-up comedy? Kevin Kline in A Fish Called Wanda, maybe.

Edit: Forgot about Alan Arkin, but Little Miss Sunshine has that kind of half drama half comedy thing going on. It's rare that someone is recognized for balls-out comedic acting these days, like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder or Melissa McCarthy in Bridesmaids. It's even rarer that they win.

Well, Alan Arkin´s part was never really a dramatic one.
Yeah, he dies to the end, but you didn´t even see him "dying".

Except that, I completly agree. Heck, even Charlie Chaplin was robbed back in the day.

And some actors had their performances hampered by a shitty script. You shouldn't have to make excuses for an Academy Award winning performance. The fact of the matter is, Waltz has won two Best Supporting Actor awards for basically putting in carbon copy performances. I don't mind nominating him for the performance, but to nominate him over Samuel L. Jackson or Leonardo DiCaprio, who gave performances that were distinctive, transformative and brilliant, and then to give him the award over people like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tommy Lee Jones and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was a complete travesty IMO.

I too, wonder they weren't nominated for Best Supporting Actor....

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
ZAC EPHRON IS DEAD?!
Overdosed on Green Apple Hi-Chews.

Who is Kristen chenowth and why is abc trying to convince me she's a star?
She reminds me of one of those screaming Skeletor women that used to put out exercise videos in the 80s and 90s. I would not have been all that surprised if, while cackling, her head detached from her body and started eating up the set and chasing everyone like a Langolier.

My favorite post-Oscars reaction: Django Unchained didn't deserve to win Best Original Screenplay.

Did you read Django Unchained?

No, but I saw it.

Did you read ZDT or Moonrise Kingdom?

No, but I saw them.

Have you ever read ANY script?

Yeah... that's not how it works, bud.

I've just seen Argo. It was good (better than Zero Dark Thirty and miles better than Les Misérables and Django Unchaiened) but didn't deserve Best Picture. Amour was the best movie.

nick nacc

Banned
My favorite post-Oscars reaction: Django Unchained didn't deserve to win Best Original Screenplay.

No, but I saw it.

No, but I saw them.

Can I just go off of general story? I never read a script before and I always assumed I can judge a good screenplay by how good the story is.

tino

Banned

No, but I saw it.

No, but I saw them.

Tarantino's scripts are just dialouges. Yo can entirely judge a script from the movie.

:rolleyes:

Can I just go off of general story? I never read a script before and I always assumed I can judge a good screenplay by how good the story is.

No, not really. I used to think you could until I started reading them. Dialogue and story organization are only two components of a screenplay.

Now I'm curious about this.
Where do you find scripts to read?

Internet Movie Script Database, for one. Look around the web first and try to find out what scripts are truly considered great because the medium can be very "bare bones." It's not quite like reading a book, so don't expect that.

The first great screenplay I ever read was Pulp Fiction.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
dat sense of entitlement. Fuck, if I was the doorman, I would have let his friend in just to rub salt into his shitty ego wound.

according to tmz, he actually was invited, but wasn't put on the list for some reason, so i can understand why he might be pissed.

harSon

Banned
Now I'm curious about this.
Where do you find scripts to read?

Depends at what point you want to read the screenplay. Most screenplays tend to be publicly available on the internet (and by publicly available, I mean you'll be able to find them with a simple Google search) once a film has released theatrically. Sometimes it takes a few months, but generally, once a film has released theatrically, its screenplay is sure to follow. If the film has been nominated for an Academy Award, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that its screenplay will be easily had. And for this, sites like Internet Movie Script Database, Simply Scripts, script-o-rama, mypdfscripts, etc. are some examples of such sites.

If you want to read a screenplay prior to a film's release (they can leak years before a film actually comes to fruition), you're going to have to have to have industry connections or join some kind of a script sharing group. Such scripts used to be readily available with a Google search, via file sharing sites like Mediafire, but studios have cracked down pretty heavily over the last few years. So the practice has been pushed more underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom