• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Internet Movie Script Database, for one. Look around the web first and try to find out what scripts are truly considered great because the medium can be very "bare bones." It's not quite like reading a book, so don't expect that.

The first great screenplay I ever read was Pulp Fiction.

Thanks.
Nah, it's just for fun. I looked up Django's script, and there are some cut scenes in it as far as I can tell.
Now I'm hoping for a Director's Cut. :lol

Depends at what point you want to read the screenplay. Most screenplays tend to be publicly available on the internet (and by publicly available, I mean you'll be able to find them with a simple Google search) once a film has released theatrically. Sometimes it takes a few months, but generally, once a film has released theatrically, its screenplay is sure to follow. If the film has been nominated for an Academy Award, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that its screenplay will be easily had. And for this, sites like Internet Movie Script Database, Simply Scripts, script-o-rama, mypdfscripts, etc. are some examples of such sites.

If you want to read a screenplay prior to a film's release (they can leak years before a film actually comes to fruition), you're going to have to have to have industry connections or join some kind of a script sharing group. Such scripts used to be readily available with a Google search, via file sharing sites like Mediafire, but studios have cracked down pretty heavily over the last few years. So the practice has been pushed more underground.

Well, I'm not sure why I would want to read the script of a movie I'm interested in before I see it. :p

One of the things I found weird was Michelle Obama's appearance. I get that the Obamas are quite open to the media, but it still felt weird and out of place to me. And I think it would have been even weirder when Zero Dark Thirty had won.

It was the girl behind looking at her like she was in love and smiling inanely that got me.

harSon

Banned
Thanks.
Nah, it's just for fun. I looked up Django's script, and there are some cut scenes in it as far as I can tell.
Now I'm hoping for a Director's Cut. :lol

Well, I'm not sure why I should read the script of a movie I'm interested in before I see the movie. :p

A lot of people feel the same way, but there's a fairly big community for people who love to do it. A significant portion of them are aspiring screenwriters though. I personally love seeing the transition from screenplay to film, and despite what people say, it's no different than reading a book prior to a movie or television adaptation. I've experienced films with and without having read the screenplays to them, and my enjoyment for both avenues are fairly similar.

Kinyou

It was the girl behind looking at her like she was in love and smiling inanely that got me.
Not entirely sure who those people were anyway. I'm guessing some kind of special guests (soldiers?) but they looked more like house staff. In fact, the more I think about it; the whole thing looked almost royal, lol

relaxor

what?
Not entirely sure who those people were anyway. I'm guessing some kind of special guests (soldiers?) but they looked more like house staff. In fact, the more I think about it; the whole thing looked almost royal, lol

Ha, yeah they were like young guests at some kind of ball, very Versailles.

Hopefully after so many bad hosts in a row they bring back Jackman next year. If not him get NPH. And get the people who do the Tony Awards to produce it.

Blackhead

Redarse
A lot of people feel the same way, but there's a fairly big community for people who love to do it. A significant portion of them are aspiring screenwriters though. I personally love seeing the transition from screenplay to film, and despite what people say, it's no different than reading a book prior to a movie or television adaptation. I've experienced films with and without having read the screenplays to them, and my enjoyment for both avenues are fairly similar.
Do y'all typically read before or after the film? Any particular reasons for either way?

jtb

Banned
It didn't need to be. It could have an award show all by itself. Besides, we all knew the greatness we were watching while in the theater. I mean I could feel it physically.

Oqqdm8t.gif
?

I am not joking, there were instances where I sat there with my mouth agape thinking this is brilliant. I got chills the last 8 min. I remember the hairs standing up on the back of my neck during the final moments.

Aurongel

Brave winning Best Animated Film was a massive disappointment for me. Literally every other film that was nominated felt stronger than Brave for me.

iamblades

So Argo was the deserved winner of Best Picture?

I didn't watch Oscars, and did seen many of the movies nominated.

I don't think there was a best picture worthy film this year actually. Argo was the lowest common denominator choice. If all the films have issues, you end up having the one that is offensively bad to the least number of people (aside from Iran apparently :p).

0D30 was just a bunch of meandering melodrama and one of the best action scenes in film.

Lincoln was kind of blah overall, despite having excellent acting.

SLP is not the kind of film that typically gets oscar attention, so a huge chunk of the voters probably never even considered it.

I haven't seen life of pi, so can't judge that completely, but it doesn't look like a best picture winner either, aside from possibly a 'no good nominees this year, but this one is all about the movie magic' hollywood wankery in the voting. Sort of like The Artist last year.

Django was the best cinema experience of the year, but no way is a movie with that amount of cartoon violence going to win best picture.

Les Mis could maybe have won if the musical vote was big enough, but apparently not, this is another one I haven't seen and couldn't judge if I had, musicals aren't my thing, though I love the songs from musicals when they aren't sung in the super hammy melodramatic musical theater style.

The other two were niche films that were always a longshot to win. All of the other films had to be terrible for Amour or Beasts to win, and none of the other films are what I would call terrible. Just not 'classic movie' level that you expect from a best picture winner.

Of course the last best picture winner I've felt that way about was No Country for Old Men, so YMMV.

Dai101

Banned
I still feel that Brave was pretty bad compared to the other contenders for animated movie. I still need to watch the rest of the nominees in the other categories.

Great show in general, i hope Seth comes back. SUCK IT HATERS!

I gave Silver Linings Playbook a watch. That's one of the good things about the Oscars - you tend to give films that you didn't care about before a watch. It was a decent film.

I think I am developing a crush for Jennifer Lawrence.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
dat sense of entitlement. Fuck, if I was the doorman, I would have let his friend in just to rub salt into his shitty ego wound.

Lulz. People who say shit like 'Last phonecall he'll ever take' get no sympathy from me.

Do you know who Ryan Kwanten is? His friend was the one doing all the talking, not Ryan hiself. After reading these comments I thought Ryan would have been a dick in the video, but he handled himself completely fine. Pretty embarrasing when somebody like TMZ gets a hold of something like this and spins it negatively.

Violet_0

Banned
there was no tension left in Django after
Waltz's character shot DiCaprio
. The ending was just by-the-numbers Tarantino

MIMIC

Banned
My mom comes up to me and asks me if I liked "Argo" (she didn't watch the show and obviously got the news of Best Picture from the news).

I told her that it was overrated trash and one of the worst movies that I had ever seen and that I planned to boycott the Oscars (and ABC) because of how undeserving it was.

Nah, but seriously, I told her that she should definitely check it out :)

tino

Banned
My mom comes up to me and asks me if I liked "Argo" (she didn't watch the show and obviously got the news of Best Picture from the news).

I told her that it was overrated trash and one of the worst movies that I had ever seen and that I planned to boycott the Oscars (and ABC) because of how undeserving it was.

Nah, but seriously, I told her that she should definitely check it out :)

Tell your mom to watch Searching for Sugar Man instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom