• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
The 85 Academy Awards |OT| We will not recognize The Cloud Atlas as a fantastic film.

Not even an editing or makeup nod! Disappointing, but that's the Academy for you. I'm also guessing being independently financed meant that no one bothered to buy off Academy voters for it.

I love how awkward it gets sometimes, the forced laughs, speeches, etc. It's hard to watch sometimes.

I thought it couldn't get worse than the Hathaway and Franco's show, but then we got last year's. You never really know.

at least that year there was some suspense because we all expected Hathaway to strangle Franco at any moment. Billy Crystal doing old man jokes for eight hours was just kind of sad.

kingkitty

The 85 Academy Awards |OT| We will not recognize The Cloud Atlas as a fantastic film.

Cloud Atlas will get her recognition, in a decade or so probably.

Might have helped it's oscar chances if the film wasn't so hammy and boring in some parts, and interesting and awesome in other parts. A real flawed flick, but I still liked it.

Kjellson

Of all the movies nominated, in every category, I have only seen 3: Django, Skyfall and The Hobbit. I'm almost impressed with myself.

Nobility

Banned
I honestly have no idea who's winning what this year.

Rooting for Skyfall, Deakins and Adele should win their categories hopefully.

I know Django won't win many awards but I'll cheer for them anyways, movie was too good.

Snake

If Seth MacFarlane can limit himself to only three songs throughout the night, these Oscars might just be salvageable (in that I won't want to kill myself for watching them).

Ridley327

With the exception of Jackman, I liked every actor's performance substantially more than DDL's Lincoln.

That said, DDL is going to win.

Jimothy

Seth Macfarlane was pretty funny hosting the comedy central roasts. I'm not really sure I get all the hate people have for the guy.

blackflag

Just watched Argo...my mind is full of fuck at how he didn't get nominated for director. I don't think it was the #1 best movie of the year but it was really good and the directing was top notch. It had amazing editing as well.

bud

i hope seth talks to us how hosting the awards reminds him of that time twenty years ago when that thing happened.

mxgt

Banned
McFarlane is going to make me want to kill myself while watching this. He's so unfunny it's physically painful.

newjeruse

Anyone else watching the Indie Spirit Awards tonight? I find that they're always a nice casual tune-up for the Oscar's.

zeitgeist

My favourites were Life of Pi and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

I really like Jennifer Lawrence and I expect her to win but Silver Linings Playbook didn't really do it for me. It was basically an angry rom-com.

kswiston

Is there a thread for Oscar predictions, or will this one serve as that?

My (mostly safe and boring) Predictions

Best Picture: Argo
Best Foreign Picture: Amour (edit)
Best Director: Steven Spielberg
Best Original Screenplay: Django Unchained
Best Adapted Screenplay: Argo
Best Film Editing: Argo
Best Cinematography: Skyfall

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway

Best Production Design: Anna Karenina
Best Costume Design: Les Miserables
Best Makeup and Hair Styling: Les Miserables

Best Sound Editing: Life of Pi
Best Sound Mixing: Les Miserables
Best Visual Effects: Life of Pi

Best Original Score: Life of Pi
Best Original Song: Skyfall - Adele

Best Animated Feature Film: Wreck-it Ralph
Best Animated Short Film: The Paperman

Best Documentary Feature: Searching for Suger Man
Best Documentary Short: Open Heart
Best Short Film: Asad

Is there a thread for Oscar predictions, or will this one serve as that?

My (mostly safe and boring) Predictions

Best Picture: Argo
Best Director: Steven Spielberg
Best Original Screenplay: Django Unchained
Best Adapted Screenplay: Argo
Best Film Editing: Argo
Best Cinematography: Skyfall

Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis
Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence
Best Supporting Actor: Tommy Lee Jones
Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway

Best Production Design: Anna Karenina
Best Costume Design: Les Miserables
Best Makeup and Hair Styling: Les Miserables

Best Sound Editing: Life of Pi
Best Sound Mixing: Les Miserables
Best Visual Effects: Life of Pi

Best Original Score: Life of Pi
Best Original Song: Skyfall - Adele

Best Animated Feature Film: Wreck-it Ralph
Best Animated Short Film: The Paperman

Best Documentary Feature: Searching for Suger Man
Best Documentary Short: Open Heart
Best Short Film: Asad

So what you're saying is Argo will win the exact same Oscars Crash won? Seems fitting.

And why did you omit foreign picture?

Koodo

Banned
ADELE ft. The 85th Academy Awards

ibdGtapsnoqSin.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Very good chance Life of Pi wins Best Visual Effects with the company behind it currently going through bankruptcy. Going to be a very interesting speech for that, given the state of the VFX industry.

Very good chance Life of Pi wins Best Visual Effects with the company behind it currently going through bankruptcy. Going to be a very interesting speech for that, given the state of the VFX industry.

I really hope it doesn't. The tiger was great, but there were some very goddamn shoddy effects throughout Life of Pi.
Those sharks, man. Damn.

ColR100

Life of Pi will pick up the majority of awards tomorrow evening. Can't see the film missing out in the VFX and cinematography categories, and there's a very high chance it'll grab Best Original Score also.

jtb

Banned
Life of Pi will pick up the majority of awards tomorrow evening. Can't see the film missing out on the VFX and cinematography awards, and there's a very high chance it'll grab Best Original Score also.

Yup, it seems like the type of movie that's going to pick up a lot of technical awards. Hope Deakins wins cinematography though.

I thought Django Unchained and Les Misérables were shit. Zero Dark Thirty was boring and I haven't seen the rest except Amour, which I liked very much. Also, it's a French production so I'd like it to win all the awards.

ColR100

I'm really surprised a few think Deakins will definitely pick it up. He's got a minimal outside chance of course, but it's highly likely it will be going to Claudio Miranda.

jtb

Banned
I'm really surprised a few think Deakins will definitely pick it up. He's got a minimal outside chance of course, but it's highly likely it will be going to Claudio Miranda.

Miranda still has a couple more snubs left in his career before he'll get his oscar. Deakins has waited his turn.

Miranda still has a couple more snubs left in his career before he'll get his oscar. Deakins has waited his turn.

Exactly. This is a classic case of someone being "due" and fuck the rest.

It doesn't hurt that Deakins is maybe one of the 3 best cinematographers currenly alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom