• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

So what you're saying is Argo will win the exact same Oscars Crash won? Seems fitting.

And why did you omit foreign picture?

With Affleck's snub for director, there isn't much else the movie can realistically win. I suppose Alan Arkin could pick up best supporting, and the film could win best score. They won't let best pic go home with a single award though, and Argo has won those categories in the guild specific award shows.

Just a mistake on my part re: Foreign film. I think that is the safest category in the entire show though. Not much suspense when one of the five foreign films also has a boatload of nominations in the mainstream categories.

How come Cloud Atlas isn't on the list?

Why did Shakespeare in Love win the Academy Award for Best Film over Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line? Why did Hitchcock or Kubrick, two of the greatest directors that have ever graced us, never win a Best Director? Why were so many of Hitchcock's films snubbed? Why was 2001: A Space Odyssey snubbed? Why did Citizen Kane not win Best Film? Why did it take Scorsese so long to win a Best Director? Why was Drive snubbed?

thisistheoscars.jpg

Greatness is not appreciated when it arrives.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Why did Shakespeare in Love win the Academy Award for Best Film over Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line? Why did Hitchcock or Kubrick, two of the greatest directors that have ever graced us, never win a Best Director? Why were so many of Hitchcock's films snubbed? Why was 2001: A Space Odyssey snubbed? Why did Citizen Kane not win Best Film? Why did it take Scorsese so long to win a Best Director? Why was Drive snubbed?

thisistheoscars.jpg

Greatness is not appreciated when it arrives.

The Oscars always deal with the context of each year they hold them. It shouldnt be treated as a barometer for greatness throughout the years like people do.

jtb

Banned
In defense of the Academy :)lol), Cloud Atlas was quite polarizing so it's not like this is just some giant disconnect between a universally loved film and the Academy. I really enjoyed it, myself, but it was never going to be in contention for any Oscars.

The Oscars always deal with the context of each year they hold them. It shouldnt be treated as a barometer for greatness throughout the years like people do.

Yes, you just reworded my last sentence and the entire point I was making. These sorts of films and directors are usually appreciated later on.

In defense of the Academy :)lol), Cloud Atlas was quite polarizing so it's not like this is just some giant disconnect between a universally loved film and the Academy. I really enjoyed it, myself, but it was never going to be in contention for any Oscars.

Tree of Life was equally polarizing and it was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Cinematography. I think Cloud Atlas could have exerted a 'contemporary' presence in some categories especially Best Original Score and Best Editing.

Tree of Life was equally polarizing and it was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Cinematography. I think Cloud Atlas could have exerted a 'contemporary' presence in some categories especially Best Original Score.

Lies, The Tree of Life has a 84% on RT. It was not nearly as polarizing as CA. I've seen much more love for it too.

jtb

Banned
Lies, The Tree of Life has a 84% on RT. It was not nearly as polarizing as CA.

And it won the Palme D'Or, so it had plenty of positive critical momentum to push it to an Oscar nod. Not to mention, Malick's reputation. Regardless of anyone's opinions on their films, Malick's body of work is undeniably held in much higher regard than the Wachowski's.

And it won the Palme D'Or, so it had plenty of positive critical momentum to push it to an Oscar nod. Not to mention, Malick's reputation. Regardless of anyone's opinions on their films, Malick's body of work is undeniably held in much higher regard than the Wachowski's.

Yes, that too.

Lies, The Tree of Life has a 84% on RT. It was not nearly as polarizing as CA.

Amongst professional critics, yes. Though I acknowledge that professional critic opinions hold more sway with Oscar nods over the opinions of the general population.

I've seen much more love for it too.

I have seen less:

The Tree of Life - 6.8 (88,253 users).

Cloud Atlas - 7.8 (95,690 users).

(IMDB)

Very polarizing.

kswiston

Amongst professional critics, yes. Though I acknowledge that professional critic opinions hold more sway with Oscar nods over the opinions of the general population.

I have seen less:

The Tree of Life - 6.8 (88,253 users).

Cloud Atlas - 7.8 (95,690 users).

(IMDB)

Very polarizing.

IMDB is mainly a measure of how the 18-29 male internet crowd liked a film.

Honest? More like political as fuck. A special lolwut to the Best Supporting Actor part. You didn't vote for someone because you thought they were too good? Fuck you, anonymous director.
This is why I would never willingly watch the awards show.

If you are talking about Waltz, I think he was saying that Waltz should have been nominated for best actor if he was going to be nominated due to the amount of time he is on screen. I don't agree, but it wasn't because he was too good.

Ceebs

If you are talking about Waltz, I think he was saying that Waltz should have been nominated for best actor if he was going to be nominated due to the amount of time he is on screen. I don't agree, but it wasn't because he was too good.

Supporting Actor/Actress awards are funny when it comes to determining what should qualify.

I would rather there be more borderline too much screen time than another Beatrice Straight like win.

Supporting Actor/Actress awards are funny when it comes to determining what should qualify.

I would rather there be more borderline too much screen time than another Beatrice Straight like win.

Leonardo DiCaprio would have qualified for Supporting, right? I think I would have nominated him over Waltz.

kswiston

Leonardo DiCaprio would have qualified for Supporting, right? I think I would have nominated him over Waltz.

Alan Arkin won for Little Miss Sunshine, and he died in the first 15-20 minutes of the movie.

Supporting actor/actress has no time requirement. You can be on screen for 30 seconds or the entire movie. Sometimes the only thing determining whether an actor as run as the lead or as a supporting role is how likely their studio thinks they are to get nominated/win.

I finally saw Amour yesterday. I wasn't terribly impressed, but Riva and Trintignant both put in great performances. (Honestly, I think Trintignant was more deserving of an acting nom than Riva, but whatev.)

With that, I've seen all nine, and here's my personal ranking (this is not a prediction for tonight):

1) Silver Linings Playbook
2) Beasts of the Southern Wild
3) Lincoln
4) Django Unchained
5) Zero Dark Thirty
6) Life of Pi
7) Amour
8) Argo
9) Les Misérables

SummitAve

Banned
Every time the music tries to cut somebody off. Every time you see good cleavage. Every time somebody is definitely bitter, but is putting on a fake smile for the camera after they didn't win. Every time somebody thanks god. Every time they bring out somebody way too old to be on stage. Whenever somebody starts crying. Perform a waterfall throughout the remembering dead people part.

There's a few.

So MacFarlane is dating Emilia Clarke?

Fucker.

What.

sethmcfarlanelead.jpg

idgi

Empty

go go amour. though i imagine it's not really in contention for best picture, so go lincoln or django in that.

JABEE

Other filmakers legitimately seem to hate Quentin Tarantino. I wonder how many other times the academy has not recognized films because the people who worked on them were arrogant or full of themselves?

I do agree that Cristoph Waltz should have been nominated for best actor, not supporting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom