• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will God of War Ragnarok be delayed? Avatar bet

Is GoW Ragnarok getting delayed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm confident enough that it will be delayed to 2023. Release date around March. If not, then it is highly likely to be released around holidays season.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm not betting either way. I don't care if it releases this year or not. I'm just asking... what if you're wrong again?? THEN EVERYTHING YOU BELIEVE IS A LIE!!!
Scared Season 5 GIF by Broad City

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Likely, I mean objectively when would be a good time in the remaining calendar year to release the game?

Bear in mind the game has a large built-in audience, due to the history of the franchise, so why would Sony want to put it out in the holiday season when the extended audience is distracted by the usual annual 3rd party behemoths?
I can see them holding off until PS5 hardware supply improves in 2023.

SLB1904

Banned
I mean its the same exact engine and character. But how far have they went with the world map, how much dialogue is finished, how many boss fights completed etc. They could still be missing half the story
They show towns, different environments different enemies.
The game will be huge

yurinka

Just because MS delayed a couple of games doesn't mean Sony would react delaying one of theirs. I think it won't be delayed. Why?

1) According to what a dev of the game said 2 or 3 weeks ago, will be released in 2022:

2) It may be a placeholder (specially when it's a day where a quarter ends, may mean they plan to release it around that quarter), but according to the PlayStation database would be released September 30th, 2022:

3) It was originally planned for 2021 and was delayed to 2022. Sony since then mentioned it as 2022 multiple times.

For the avatar I suggest a GoW themed #FreeBryank75 avatar with Bryank as Kratos. I can draw it.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
tommib tommib and I already have one going. I think it's slipping to Spring '23.

TidusYuna

Not only will God of War Ragnarok not get delayed, but I'm willing to bet they will push the release date up to 2021.

MisguidedGoodnaturedGypsymoth-max-1mb.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not serious and I take no bets because I don't think Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony are tryna go head to head with a 97 metacritic multiplat underdog Elden Ring for GOTY. So yes, I too believe Ragnarok will probably be delayed and we will get BOTW2 vs GoW Ragnarok vs Starfield for 2023 goty.

[Sigma]

If it does, it does. I don't really care as I didn't think the world of the last game anyway.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Ah shit what hve I got myself into. Should hve read OP lol
Yea same. I always vote before I read the OP. Shame on me. Ah well, I went with the default "P" avatar for years after the GAF upgrade, so I guess I can deal.

My question for OP though - what if a release date gets announced for 2022, we all change our avatars, but then they delay it before it hits that date. I feel OP should have some penalty if that happens for not thinking of all the possibilities.

Papacheeks

Banned
2 delays for GOWR?
I doubt Santa Monica studio or Sony would be that reckless.
God of war's original tentative release was 2021, but there was never a hard date, just the year 2021. Which usually you do when things are in flux and you can't give a date because there's lot of things not ready. They never have officially given a date for that game.

And they actually showed a good Mixture of gameplay so people have an idea of what they are getting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I usually never participate in these, and my gut says 2022, but... I want to select 2023 (to lose, muhaha) so I can see what clever shit people come up for an avatar.

Decisions, decisions.

Edit: Voted 2022, so blame me for jinxing it if there's a 2023 delay.
mNfZTgE.png

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Yea same. I always vote before I read the OP. Shame on me. Ah well, I went with the default "P" avatar for years after the GAF upgrade, so I guess I can deal.

My question for OP though - what if a release date gets announced for 2022, we all change our avatars, but then they delay it before it hits that date. I feel OP should have some penalty if that happens for not thinking of all the possibilities.
Totally thought of that possible scenario. And since we're almost in the second half of 2022 already, being announced by 2022 and delayed by later 2022, wouldn't mean much, just a couple months. That's why the bet is basically 2022 to 2023.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Gow will not get delayed. The trailer they show looked polished enough
I don't get this bet either.

The game was supposed to release in 2021 so it was already delayed plenty of time, and they already showed a gameplay trailer + vertical slice of the game 8 months ago.
And to be honest, it looks like it's using pretty much the same engine as GoW 2018 with better assets and more content. I see no technological revamp here that would require more time in the oven.

Besides, we know why the game was delayed and it wasn't for technical reasons:

Pejo

Gold Member
Totally thought of that possible scenario. And since we're almost in the second half of 2022 already, being announced by 2022 and delayed by later 2022, wouldn't mean much, just a couple months. That's why the bet is basically 2022 to 2023.
What I mean is this:

• Avatars must be used at least from release date announcement until game release
So let's say next month they release a trailer with a "12/15/22" release date. All of us that voted "delay" will then have to change our avatars from the release date of that trailer until 12/15/22 when the game comes out. That's fine.

But what happens if in the same scenario, we've been using the changed avatars for 4 months, and in September they announce that the game is just not ready yet (cyberpunking it, if you will), and the game THEN gets pushed to 2023.

In such a case, both sides lose.

.Pennywise

Banned
What I mean is this:

• Avatars must be used at least from release date announcement until game release
So let's say next month they release a trailer with a "12/15/22" release date. All of us that voted "delay" will then have to change our avatars from the release date of that trailer until 12/15/22 when the game comes out. That's fine.

But what happens if in the same scenario, we've been using the changed avatars for 4 months, and in September they announce that the game is just not ready yet (cyberpunking it, if you will), and the game THEN gets pushed to 2023.

In such a case, both sides lose.
Or both sides win, depending on how you see it.

Papacheeks

Banned
I usually never participate in these, and my gut says 2022, but... I want to select 2023 (to lose, muhaha) so I can see what clever shit people come up for an avatar.

Decisions, decisions.

Edit: Voted 2022, so blame me for jinxing it if there's a 2023 delay.
mNfZTgE.png

Honestly it all depends. With Chris getting hurt back in 2019. I think it's what initially set them back in early 2021. A lot of the stuff we saw in trailer from last year was early mo-cap footage they did after 2018 God of war. So we wont know until after June to be honest.

It could go either way honestly. But Sony has enough partnered games and a couple un-announced releases for later this year.

Kuranghi

I'll change mine regardless of whether its delayed or not because I really don't care either way. I'm a massive tit so make my new avatar into a big boobin.

Kokoloko85

Loads of parts of the game looked complete when we saw the gameplay trailer.
But now they have an excuse to delay it if it needed it

mortal

Gold Member
God of war's original tentative release was 2021, but there was never a hard date, just the year 2021. Which usually you do when things are in flux and you can't give a date because there's lot of things not ready. They never have officially given a date for that game.

And they actually showed a good Mixture of gameplay so people have an idea of what they are getting.
True, it was technically a tentative release widow, but many still saw it as a delay regardless.

Them showing off a good chunk of gameplay is more indicative that they are likely to launch this year rather than delay, especially with little to no competition to contend with in the next half of the year.
Had there been recent production woes, I think Corey would've said as much rather than reassuring they're still on track for 2022. Although anything is possible I suppose.

ClosBSAS

not having a bet as I didn't like the last God of way game ( yeah I know everybody loves it so its just me) but this will defiantly be released this year
I am trying really hard to finish it on PC...but u can def the limitations, the bad level design, for some reason on PC u can see all the flaws lol. I am half way through and I am really wondering why so much praise but hey man, i also hate RDR2 which apparently is a milestone in gaming achievement.

Papacheeks

Banned
I am trying really hard to finish it on PC...but u can def the limitations, the bad level design, for some reason on PC u can see all the flaws lol. I am half way through and I am really wondering why so much praise but hey man, i also hate RDR2 which apparently is a milestone in gaming achievement.

It's the combat and the writing.

Dolodolo

That ResetEra dude who made headlines about State Of Play not coming in May, said back in March that the game was 99% complete.

I don't know who he is, but last year he was checked by the administration of the forum, so perhaps he is reliable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom