• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

jonjonaug

OH SHIT, THIS IS GLORIOUS. Just wanted to watch a bit of the game, so I started watching a playthrough. And I realized that SC put a huge Umineko spoiler
right in the MAIN MENU! It's right above the "New Game" selection.
Link below. I'm laughing so much right now.
(umineko spoilers)
https://youtu.be/4GaeQIgJYaI?t=36s

That's not an Umineko spoiler. Umineko itself was referencing an old NES game there, it's something of a meme on the Japanese internet.

BTA

That's not an Umineko spoiler. Umineko itself was referencing an old NES game there, it's something of a meme on the Japanese internet.

I mean, it's great that it's there, but it's indeed not a Umineko reference.

...they made the same reference in the first game too, also.

20cent

Banned
The puzzle rooms were boring and easy for the most part too. This game is a poor shooter, a poor puzzle game, and the writing isn't good either. It's just a real disappointment. Other than a couple of highlights it was a chore to play. It's not something I'd recommend to anyone but those fiending for more Danganronpa.

Agreeing with everything. I would even add that chapter 1 and 2 were a pain, I've read everywhere that chap 3+ would redeem them, it didn't. I love Danganronpa 1&2 but I feel like I've wasted my time playing this even if it was quick 1 chapter/day to complete it.

Agreeing with everything. I would even add that chapter 1 and 2 were a pain, I've read everywhere that chap 3+ would redeem them, it didn't. I love Danganronpa 1&2 but I feel like I've wasted my time playing this even if it was quick 1 chapter/day to complete it.

deep into chapter 2, &, yeah, this game is just plain boring! - which's about the last word i'd ever think of using to describe danganronpa 1&2. i'm having an extremely hard time getting myself through it. it wants, & tries sooo hard, to be funny/entertaining, but for the occasional time it succeeds, it fails 99 others (all of which you have to sit through :( )...

zakujanai

I wouldn't say I feel I've wasted my time as I know I'd be wondering about the game if I hadn't. More like I've experienced it, it was terrible and now I never have to play it again.

chiimisu

Gah, the last chapter is boring me to tears. Really anticlimactic. Could've they at least get rid of those tedious (no pun intended) Monokuma waves? To think the game with such a great start has such bland ending hours :( I'm so mad at Japanese games and their artificial dilation of the play time. I'd better have a short game, but a great one instead of 15 hours of boredom.

Lot of hate in this thread.
I wouldn't call it "hate", it's more of "unfulfilled expectations". And it was fair to expect a lot, imo. Danganronpa is a great series.

So my take is (only to chapter 4)

1. Great story - perhaps not as great as the other two, but not by much IMO.
2. Different kind of story, which is a nice change of pace (at least, you can get excited for Danganronpa 3 not being like this game :p)
3. Challenges have unwritten rules. I've done at least three challenges where I did the challenge exactly as written, but for instance one asked me to electrocute all Monokuma in the water, and I did - however, it seems that it must have wanted me to do it all in one shot. These experiences really soured my experience, though I was still finding myself enjoying the experience overall.
4. It controls kinda nice. It's better than what I would have expected from this deviation, definitely.
5. A lot of neat gameplay ideas. I wish the Monokuma's eyes weren't so hard to hit though. Especially in the beginning, it felt like I was missing out on a lot of Monocoins because I was still adjusting to everything.

Overall, it's a little disappointing, but only a little because I was in between the "excited" camp and the "tempering expectations" camp. Still glad I bought it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Did I, uh, spot a Simpsons reference during the final boss battle from Toko?

You sure did.

45X1uYn.jpg

FluxWaveZ

Something I haven't mentioned is how I like that the common manga onomatopoeia text was translated into English.
I feel like those are usually kept as is in games, but the fact that DR:AE attempted to translate them with the font style of the Japanese text was great. There seems to be a bunch of that in Persona 5, and I'd rather see it in English than in Japanese.

N E R O

just finished the game today , it took me a month to complete it and i think this shows how monotonous this game was.

seriously..its a bad spin-off for a really good series

The game has no differences between the US/EU versions, right? Might possibly buy the game from Europe but I have a US account. Is the language of the text on the box art depending on the country of sale?

The game has no differences between the US/EU versions, right? Might possibly buy the game from Europe but I have a US account. Is the language of the text on the box art depending on the country of sale?

Be careful if you want the Japanese audio, it's DLC which has to be the same region as your account.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man, who the hell decided to not only make it so Gallery is unlocked after beating the game as opposed to unlocking stuff on a chapter by chapter basis, but still making them cost money to buy music/pics/videos despite needing money for bling bullets & upgrading Genocide Jack? You pretty much have to grind the game AGAIN considering one bling bullet is a whopping 10,000 coins.

I've already played most of the story a 2nd time (save for the prologue & final chapter), I don't feel the desire to play it a 3rd time. It's close to being as grindy as School/Island Mode from DR1 & DR2.

Least I'm just about done with Ch. 4 & getting an A-rank, then that should net me all B & A ranks, all skills, & then a few more levels untl 99 & I'll get the platinum.

Edit: AW CRAP, I forgot about 2 Monoku-Man challenges since I just went & did the one that was actually required, so got a damn B on Ch. 4 & have to redo it all over again. Oh well, least it'll count towards the final few levels until Komaru reaches 99....

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally got the platinum. Also read the bonus story, which was better than DR If from DR2.

Also, is it just me, or is the BGM Gallery completely screwed up? I'm guessing "DSO_" means songs from previous DR games, yet for some reason, they don't play the right music. "Priest" plays "Argument [HOPE VS DESPAIR]" & "Near Towa Hills' Top Floor" plays "100 Mile Junk Food Dash", & if you select that song, it plays "Weekly Despair Magazine", so something must've gone wrong when they were naming theme.

Oh, & "Crying for Love in Hell" is the wrong song, considering it's on the OST. "Ultra Delusional Girls" is incorrect, as it's listed as "DSO_Despair Syndrome", & another song plays if you choose Ultra Delusional Girls.

So, the game pretty much told me I should read Danganronpa Kirigiri. That one doesn't have an official translation yet, right?

Also, is it just me, or is the BGM Gallery completely screwed up? I'm guessing "DSO_" means songs from previous DR games, yet for some reason, they don't play the right music. "Priest" plays "Argument [HOPE VS DESPAIR]" & "Near Towa Hills' Top Floor" plays "100 Mile Junk Food Dash", & if you select that song, it plays "Weekly Despair Magazine", so something must've gone wrong when they were naming theme.

Oh, & "Crying for Love in Hell" is the wrong song, considering it's on the OST. "Ultra Delusional Girls" is incorrect, as it's listed as "DSO_Despair Syndrome", & another song plays if you choose Ultra Delusional Girls.

That's really weird... I haven't finished the game yet, so I can't check it for you. Maybe try sending NISA a message?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
At first I thought it was just that they (strangely) renamed some songs, but then checking songs that're actually on the OST that came with the LE, it confirmed that maybe songs were named wrong. Not to mention I'm pretty sure in DR2, they had something that marked which songs were also used in DR1.

Tried contacting them on their site, let's see if they mention anything.

& pretty sure Kirigiri isn't officially licensed, just the short stories that were included as bonus unlocks in DR2 (DR If, a "what if" story involving the DR1 cast) & this game.

Edit: I restarted the game & it stayed the same. There was a few more mistakes as well, which kind of baffles me just how many songs were mislabled.

Paltheos

Finished the game yesterday. Overall satisfied with the experience. There are a number of rough edges, but it seemed like the team had their heart in the right place. I wouldn't particularly recommend the game but if you really want more Danganronpa, yeah sure.

jonjonaug

Finally got the platinum. Also read the bonus story, which was better than DR If from DR2.

It's not just you. A bunch of tracks in the BGM gallery are mixed up.

Isotope

Finally finished the game. The gameplay itself was pretty rough at times, but I went in for the Danganronpa experience, and I definitely got it; looking forward to Danganronpa 3.

Questions though regarding the Epilogue (Big spoilers obviously)
I assume we're not supposed to know who was the voice behind Kurokuma and Shirokuma, right? And who was that wheeling their heads around? Was that Haiji (Who looked like Izuru Kamakura before he was Hajime)?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Finally finished the game. The gameplay itself was pretty rough at times, but I went in for the Danganronpa experience, and I definitely got it; looking forward to Danganronpa 3.

I assume we're not supposed to know who was the voice behind Kuro and Shirokuma, right? And who was that wheeling their heads around? Was that Haiji (Who looked like Izuru kamakura before he was Hajime)?
Epilogue spoilers:
It sounds like Junko, which is backed up by the fact we know she has multiple personalities, & yes, that is indeed the "remnant of depair" version of Hajime.

Cryoteck

I assume we're not supposed to know who was the voice behind Kuro and Shirokuma, right? And who was that wheeling their heads around? Was that Haiji (Who looked like Izuru kamakura before he was Hajime)?

(Spoilers for Danganronpa 2)
I think the voices were supposed to be AI Junko. Izuru was collecting the AI for his plan in Danganronpa 2

Edit: Beaten

Jamix012

Wow this thread is pretty negative um.

I loved it. Much better than DR1 for me and worthy to be a spin off preceding DR2. This year has kinda sucked, so it's probably my number 2 on game of the year thus far. 8.5/10ish from me.

ta9qi

Just finished it, how u people didnt like it @@
my expectation was so low b4 starting it, but it surprised me that it deserve the name "danganronpa" on it, the music and the voice acting are perfect and top notch as always
the script was a high quality one, even its mostly about a typical high school girl with one of the worst charachters in the series, it wasnt bad at all, and above that it make the miracle for toki being an enjoyable character @@
the kids backstory wasnt something new or original, but (jatoro/koto/monaca) conversations was hilarious most of the time ( so shallow in a good way p=), not to mention the crazy blabber black monokuma
there was a variety of gameplay elements, which helps to make it less boring during the long game.
also Nagito being in the game was the most pleasant surprise for me @@

PKrockin

I just rented this game with no knowledge of it other than what I know from playing the other games and that this one has shooting. I've got to say there may truly be nothing I hate more than bratty booger pickers that are supposed to come across as intimidating villains. That scene with them went on about 15 minutes too long.

This game is so weird. Let's make a Danganronpa sequel... but make it play like Resident Evil 5. I can't say I'm digging it much yet. It really makes me want to play Resident Evil and Zero Escape 3 more than anything. Hopefully the wordiness gets toned down to a more acceptable level for an action game. The best part is probably the soundtrack and parts of the art style, which are a reminder of why I never want the Japanese video game industry to die.

pouring one out for feep's dignity btw

Shizuka

Start what? I did have some interest in it, that's why I watched like 80% of the game on TouTube and came to the conclusion that it wasn't very good and that it's not worth my money.

You can say it's not worth your money from a YouTube playthrough, but not say that it's a bad game and that the hate is justified. We've been through this for two months, several people told you that, still you cling to this topic to dear life. I don't understand why you keep checking this topic if you haven't played the game, doesn't plan on playing the game and even thought it was not worth your money. I have no idea why, really.

You can say it's not worth your money from a YouTube playthrough, but not say that it's a bad game and that the hate is justified. We've been through this for two months, several people told you that, still you cling to this topic to dear life. I don't understand why you keep checking this topic if you haven't played the game, doesn't plan on playing the game and even thought it was not worth your money. I have no idea why, really.

I'm clinging to this thread for dear life? Really? I saw it on the first page and simply thought I'd check to see if the latest impressions mirrored my own, and for the most part they do. You know why?
Because it's not a very good game.
And saying that I can't say it's a bad game and that the hate is justified is absolute nonsense.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm clinging to this thread for dear life? Really? I saw it on the first page and simply thought I'd check to see if the latest impressions mirrored my own, and for the most part they do. You know why?
Because it's not a very good game.
And saying that I can't say it's a bad game and that the hate is justified is absolute nonsense.

It's a good game and the hate is not justified

Source: I played it.

Yasumi

Banned
eoHoB8I.jpg

The defensiveness towards this game is just weird.
"Defensiveness" in a game's OT (ie. People who have played the game), against someone who's only watched the game on Youtube, and has previously snubbed the series for being inferior to his personal favorite (less successful) VN series? It's a goddamn mystery.

So we have a debate where both sides argue that the hate is justified or isn't because they liked it or not.

Come on, this is (DR1 CH5)
"Kirigiri is a ghost!"
level of intellect.

So we have a debate where both sides argue that the hate is justified or isn't because they liked it or not.

Come on, this is (DR1 CH5)
"Kirigiri is a ghost!"
level of intellect.
NO this is just a matter of perspective and pisplaced expectation.

Is this game perfect ? No
But if you want more danganronpa , is it really something that doesn't bring something to the table ( for the people who like the franchise already ) hell yeah.

The action mecanic need polish , the bosses need polish the localisation is mostly ok with a few bugs ( from my own perspective ) but do we hate this game ? The vast majority of the players here would say no.

NO this is just a matter of perspective and pisplaced expectation.

Is this game perfect ? No
But if you want more danganronpa , is it really something that doesn't bring something to the table ( for the people who like the franchise already ) hell yeah.

The action mecanic need polish , the bosses need polish the localisation is mostly ok with a few bugs ( from my own perspective ) but do we hate this game ? The vast majority of the players here would say no.

I am just saying that I find it stupid that both sides are arguing their opinion to be objective. Apologies if that came across differently.

BTA

Just finished it. I made the big mistake of trying to do so late last night only to hit that incredibly long scene
about the controller
when I was struggling to keep my eyes open. That made what was already a sorta tedious scene unbearable, since I was just trying to get through it and save.
Seriously, was there a point to having that choice so many times? Like, it would have been one thing if the bad end changed over time to reveal more information or something, or if Komaru had just forced you out of it until one of the later ones when she'd be under enough pressure to follow through with it, but instead... no, it was explicitly clear from the first time that it was the wrong choice. And I kept picking it each new time hoping it might change. Nah. I guess it'd have made that last time more impactful if they hadn't run it into the ground first. I'm also pretty annoyed that they didn't even give you a save point before the final boss battle; I had to suspend my Vita and sleep.

I did like the atmosphere of the ending with Komaru and Fukawa a lot, but I already expected to like the ending based on the last two, I guess. And it was a little sloppily translated at one point in the last few lines- "Remnants of Hope" is a pretty big slip to include when that could actually mean something here, so good thing that line was voiced in Japanese (...did they say the wrong thing in the dubbed version?). Though... that twist with Monaca was kinda blindingly obvious. To be fair I expected her to be Haiji's daughter, not sister, but like... did they think they were being subtle with the fact that everyone except her has a listed last name? I called it in chapter 4 as soon as I looked through the character profiles again and realized that. I didn't realize the thing about her not being disabled based on the ladder, though, so I guess that was decently done.

Overall, it was ok. I've already made my opinion on the kids' clear, and I was already a fan of Fukawa so
I enjoyed seeing her and Komaru bond, with their friendship near the end being a high point of the game's writing
. Though I think I enjoyed the gameplay more than most, I found myself questioning why things like the Bling Bullets were even part of it. I'd be ok with another Another Episode game if they dropped the super edgy kids angle. Like the other 2 games, I'd consider going back to Platinum it since I would like to read any files I missed at least. But I still haven't gone back to those 2. So maybe not.

Top Bottom