• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (PS4/PS Vita) coming out on Feb. 25

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Still salty that my girl Christie didn't make it.

Looks like I'll be using my old main Ayane and pairing her up with Nyotengu/Hitomi.

How Kokoro got in over classics such as Tina and Leifang... I will never know.

GrayFoxPL

Looks like I'll be using my old main Ayane and pairing her up with Nyotengu/Hitomi.

Because they're like: "Lol, we'll make billions on dlc!"

They'll put everyone in. For a price.

ZoddGutts

No way in hell this game comes to western markets, not with today's climate here.

Vita still gets these type of games out in the West and Steam (if it gets a PC port) has Visual Novels uncensored. Anyways this game targets a somewhat niche audience, I doubt articles by Polygon and what's her name would affect sales. Wouldn't surprise me though if it's a digital only release though.

Mike Golf

No way in hell this game comes to western markets, not with today's climate here.

Don't forget Senran Kagura's second game just released on 3DS and it's also seen two releases on the Vita. While these are handhelds, sure, I don't see it being an issue selling this game on PS4 in the West. If your only worry is Marie Rose they could easily just not advertise her upfront in trailers or website banner ads, seing as that's probably the only advertisement the game will get commercially. When was the last time a non AAA game has gotten any decent mass media marketing i.e. TV commercials, internet streaming service commercials, or magazine (I know dying print media but still) advertisements? I certainly don't remember seeing much for DOA5. If it's sold as niche, and the sales will be likely niche regardless of advertisement, I think they'll be fine. The anti-sexuality in games pundits may still have their field day but it will easily pass and the sales will likely see no effect one way or the other.

Izuna

Banned
ZrSvQR8.jpg

"See the real skin texture of the boobs and ass shaking powered by 'Soft Engine 2.0'."

iyqA5R8.png

edit: this was surprisingly easy to make as the screenshot I took on Xbox had almost the exact angle I wanted

And what exactly could the complainers do? Tecmo doesn't have to answer to any external publisher, and they haven't cared about any outcry in the past. They know it's a sexual charged niche game, and I expect them to market it as such.

Sakura

At worse Marie Rose gets replaced with one of the other characters that didn't make the cut.

They wouldn't replace one of the most popular girls for one of the least popular ones lol
It's a niche game. I doubt it will be an issue. Titles like Criminal Girls come over.
edit: Also I can't imagine them actually putting that much work into a localisation

ShinMaruku

After they are done selling the initial stock they'll bring it West. Everything I've seen/remembered has TN happy with DOA5 in the West. They'll want that DLC money from the West side as well.

How long it takes to come over is the real question. The longer they wait the worse it'll be for them imo.

Yup. We shall be watching the channels and see what comes of it.

ZoddGutts

They wouldn't replace one of the most popular girls for one of the least popular ones lol
It's a niche game. I doubt it will be an issue. Titles like Criminal Girls come over.
edit: Also I can't imagine them actually putting that much work into a localisation

I was talking about the possible western release version, not sure if she's the most popular with the western fans though.

Pimpbaa

Why do pedophiles care for this game or doa in general? Referring to Marie Rose being so popular. So many other games full of that moe shit yet they had to shit up this game by voting for Marie.

Izuna

Banned
Why do pedophiles care for this game or doa in general? Referring to Marie Rose being so popular. So many other games full of that moe shit yet they had to shit up this game by voting for Marie.

Sad thing is, they probably wouldn't have made as much money with such a character. Pretty much the anime industry in general.

Sad thing is, they probably wouldn't have made as much money with such a character. Pretty much the anime industry in general.

I've always thought it was because small chested, spunky girls are seen as less threatening to Otaku compared to the super hot bombshells in real life. Those sorts of girls probably never give the otaku sort the time of day.

Ninja Dom

It's October, they have a February release date and they're 18% complete?

EDIT: Tagg9 said it. Game will have to be complete by end of January.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It's October, they have a February release date and they're 18% complete?

EDIT: Tagg9 said it. Game will have to be complete by end of January.

The assets are already done. They are simply reusing what they made for the fighting games. I can see this game being done really quickly.

Sakura

I was talking about the possible western release version, not sure if she's the most popular with the western fans though.

I was also talking about the possible western release version.
I didn't say she was the most popular girl in the west, but she is definitely one of the most popular in the west. Pretty sure she was top 3 or so for America at least.
She sells, and she sells DLC too. Cutting her for a character that isn't popular wouldn't make much sense.
And in either case, I really do not see them going through the trouble of adding a new character with all the things that go with it, just for a western release.

CamHostage

Surprised it's being finished so soon, I got the impression from the announcement and the TGS no-show that virtually nothing had been made of this as a game before they broke the news on it. They have the engine (I imagine Soft Engine 2.0 includes tech work on NioH and maybe Dissidia) and they can rework DOA5 models as a starting base, but it's still a whipping turnaround on the product.

Don't forget Senran Kagura's second game just released on 3DS and it's also seen two releases on the Vita. While these are handhelds, sure, I don't see it being an issue selling this game on PS4 in the West. If your only worry is Marie Rose they could easily just not advertise her upfront in trailers or website banner ads, seing as that's probably the only advertisement the game will get commercially. When was the last time a non AAA game has gotten any decent mass media marketing i.e. TV commercials, internet streaming service commercials, or magazine (I know dying print media but still) advertisements? I certainly don't remember seeing much for DOA5. If it's sold as niche, and the sales will be likely niche regardless of advertisement, I think they'll be fine. The anti-sexuality in games pundits may still have their field day but it will easily pass and the sales will likely see no effect one way or the other.

Yeah but, why risk it you know? Maybe they figure it's not worth the effort or something.

Yeah, it was high standards before! Stop pandering what I don't like! >_<

ShinMaruku

Remember the game has been built right infront of us during DOA5:LR. The stages, some of the outfits. Next is to redo some characters and flesh out the modes. Remember some games are announced when they are mostly complete. The percentage thing is misleading because it's a famitsu number.

Have you ever been so salty that your favorite character isn't being included in a niche as fuck video game that you accused people you know nothing about of being pedophiles?

virtualS

Imagine how great this, um, game could look if they dropped the stylised cartoonish art style.

Fighters too. SFV is a huge disappointment to me visually. Where are my 10 million polygon characters?

CamHostage

Imagine how great this, um, game could look if they dropped the stylised cartoonish art style.

Fighters too. SFV is a huge disappointment to me visually. Where are my 10 million polygon characters?

"Cartoonish" art style? Man, I guess I'm just an old man who still looks at DOA and looks for the cutting-edge of Team Ninja's work, but I wouldn't call the series "cartoonish" (except for maybe the first game's boob physics...) It's always been a game franchise (with the Xtreme series following the same DOA fighter edict) of hyper-reality, where it's trying to be as realistic in element simulation as possible but puts so much gloss and sheen and lace and sex appeal over it (with faces that are more doll than person) that it's beyond reality. And there's certainly no lacking in polygons in DOA (or SF5, for that matter.) it is a debatable point that we're not seeing the "next-gen leap" we're used to of visuals that use new hardware horsepower to deliver as much photo-reality as we can handle at the era (it's been particularly painful for us graphics snobs in genres like fighting where the limited characters usually led to maximized tech employment; doubly so since fighting is a genre on the rise in popularity and so budgets should be higher than in the slump period,) but you can't fault the polygon count for that, and really you are seeing cutting-edge effects employed in the game even if their effect is mostly subtle and contributive.

Granted, the art style is well dated from the Dreamcast-era roots of the second game that really set the visual language of the franchise, but I wouldn't put it in the same category graphically as Street Fighter 5.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

What does a realistic art style have to do with DOA? Not everything has to be overtly realistic. Guilty Gear looks absolutely beautiful with its artstyle and up there with the best current gen looking games in terms of visual quality.

Also, some developers have what is known as a "budget" and there are varying levels of things known as "technical prowess". Not everyone is going to be a PS4 first party dev with the luxury of spending time basically rendering 100 thousand polygon models, optimizing everything for the PS4 hardware they are working on.

Not everyone in Japan is Square enix for that matter with the type of development pipeline that they know how to make games run with 100,000 polygon models in a huge open word environment with GPGPU particles and shit flying all over the screen. It takes money and effort and time. Something temco koei has to balance with their returns, not being as technically proficient and most importantly actually making a product and shipping it in some sort of viable timeframe

Synth

Have you ever been so salty that your favorite character isn't being included in a niche as fuck video game that you accused people you know nothing about of being pedophiles?

Well, that's not actually true. He does know at least one thing about them.

They paid money to vote Marie Rose to the top of a DOAX poll.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
where Is mila in the trailer?
At 0:51 more or less, she has a bee costume

Have to disagree. I think she looks as good as any of the others in the swimsuits, the bunny costumes, and last years halloween outfit for her (the mummy) was awesome especially when she has the short hair alt. I'm digging that bee costume, even.

Hopefully she gets dlc-ed into this. Only her and Hitomi I really care to use.
Honestly judging by trailers i find her costumes to be the always the worsts or least sexy and even when she gets something like a bikini i have the impression she's thinking something like: "who made me do it?" lol

For me at least sexy is not just some exposed skin.

Thoraxes

My combo is all Hitomi x Kokoro.

Nothing can stop me now, nakama.

Top Bottom