• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I preordered it after the first beta weekend on Xbox because D3 was actually one of the few games I preferred on console (local co op is too much fun), but it just hit me that I'll probably need Live for this one, which I don't have because I never play or engage with multiplayer stuff on consoles. 🙃

I should retain stuff from the ultimate edition since it's tied to my account if I buy the base edition on PC, right?
Can't you just refund it? Game's not out yet. I'm pretty sure you can.

bender

What time is it?
All in on the gaf clan

We took a vote and decided that no humans are allowed.

FoolhardyPeacefulChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

Today I was out buying plant potters. Each potter cost $75. After that I went to lunch, cost $80. The fact that a game that will give me 1000s of hours of enjoyment cost less than a lunch or fricken plastic plant containers is so bonkers to me, games are a fricken bargain these days.
Yep and games is entertainment, bitching about games pricing is so fucking annoying. You can bitch about gas prices, grocery prices etc.. but games? Sorry, that's not a necessity, and there's tons of cheap games out there as well

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Blizzard edited the eligibility of their hardcore contest

OFFER ELIGIBILITY : THIS OFFER IS ONLY OPEN AND OFFERED TO INDIVIDUALS WHO: (I) ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AS, OR THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION, WHICHEVER IS OLDER OF MAY 26, 2023; (II) ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF RUSSIA, BELARUS, BELGIUM, CUBA, IRAN, THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF KOREA, SUDAN, CRIMEA, SYRIA, AND ANY OTHER REGIONS WHERE RESTRICTED OR PROHIBITED BY LAW; (III) ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (WHICH FOR THE PURPOSES OF THESE RULES, EXCLUDES HONG KONG, MACAU AND TAIWAN); (IV) MAINTAIN A BLIZZARD BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AT ALL TIMES DURING THE OFFER PERIOD (DEFINED BELOW); (V) OWN A LICENSE TO DIABLO IV; (VI) HAVE REACHED A CHARACTER LEVEL OF 100 IN “HARDCORE MODE” ON DIABLO IV AND HAVE EARNED THE “TEMPERED CHAMPION” TITLE IN-GAME; AND (VII) WERE NOT PREVIOUSLY INVITED TO DOWNLOAD THE PRE-RELEASE REVIEW VERSION OF THE GAME DURING THE MONTH OF MAY 2023. YOU MUST MEET ALL OF THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA CONTAINED IN THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS TO CLAIM THIS OFFER.

Antwix

Blizzard edited the eligibility of their hardcore contest

OFFER ELIGIBILITY : THIS OFFER IS ONLY OPEN AND OFFERED TO INDIVIDUALS WHO: (I) ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER AS, OR THE AGE OF MAJORITY IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION, WHICHEVER IS OLDER OF MAY 26, 2023; (II) ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF RUSSIA, BELARUS, BELGIUM, CUBA, IRAN, THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF KOREA, SUDAN, CRIMEA, SYRIA, AND ANY OTHER REGIONS WHERE RESTRICTED OR PROHIBITED BY LAW; (III) ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA (WHICH FOR THE PURPOSES OF THESE RULES, EXCLUDES HONG KONG, MACAU AND TAIWAN); (IV) MAINTAIN A BLIZZARD BATTLE.NET ACCOUNT IN GOOD STANDING IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE TERMS AND CONDITIONS AT ALL TIMES DURING THE OFFER PERIOD (DEFINED BELOW); (V) OWN A LICENSE TO DIABLO IV; (VI) HAVE REACHED A CHARACTER LEVEL OF 100 IN “HARDCORE MODE” ON DIABLO IV AND HAVE EARNED THE “TEMPERED CHAMPION” TITLE IN-GAME; AND (VII) WERE NOT PREVIOUSLY INVITED TO DOWNLOAD THE PRE-RELEASE REVIEW VERSION OF THE GAME DURING THE MONTH OF MAY 2023. YOU MUST MEET ALL OF THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA CONTAINED IN THESE TERMS & CONDITIONS TO CLAIM THIS OFFER.
Yeah shouldve been there in the first place but good stuff.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you didn't hear about the "fake questions" controversy too, Blizzard is waiting to hear back from the source about where those questions came from. D4 community manager mentioned this on Raxx's stream.

d5j2X1s.png

If you need catching up:

In my opinion, a very minor controversy. Not really Blizzard's fault. Just kinda lame overall.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

While part of me is a little happy that what I already theorycrafted and prepared is more or less in line with what the later game is going to end up being, another part of me is a little disappointed that I won't be able to find that out naturally over the course of the release along with everyone else at the same time. Unless a day 1 patch comes along that blows everyone's May 30th guides out of the water.

Schmendrick

While part of me is a little happy that what I already theorycrafted and prepared is more or less in line with what the later game is going to end up being, another part of me is a little disappointed that I won't be able to find that out naturally over the course of the release along with everyone else at the same time. Unless a day 1 patch comes along that blows everyone's May 30th guides out of the water.
yeah, I kinda wish I´d not played the Betas now. But as every Diablo the real game won`t begin until after the story anyways. Without knowing all the endgame item affixes we don´t know anything anyways.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not watching any of those. Going in blind when it comes to tier list, Rogue first but I'm sure I will make all classes.
I agree with your sentiment. To be honest, a lot of my enjoyment and excitement of a new game like this is in figuring out what the meta is when no one knows anything. I do realize that in this day and age, we're not going back to the good old days of yore when mostly everyone was in the dark and it seemed like we had more fun because we weren't obsessed about min/maxing the shit out of everything. This might seem like a weird thing to say, speaking as someone who actually does like to min/max the shit out of everything, but it kinda feels like spoilers but the spoilers this time aren't based on the plot or story; they're based on the game mechanics. Not only is the early game "no one knows what they're doing yet" honeymoon period extremely short nowadays, but it's basically nonexistent in Diablo 4 since all the guides that figured everything out already are coming out on day -2.

Reviews? Yes, we definitely need those early. Full guides that tell you what to do? Probably not.

Even this content creator who got early access agrees with Quin that this action kills a little bit of that launch day wonderment. (starts at 20:53)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
yeah, I kinda wish I´d not played the Betas now. But as every Diablo the real game won`t begin until after the story anyways. Without knowing all the endgame item affixes we don´t know anything anyways.
Interesting. Personally, I don't regret playing the betas at all. In my opinion, knowledge gained from actually playing the game is completely fine, and I really enjoyed all the testing I did during the betas to theorycraft what I'm going to do when the full game launches.

It's just that knowing that the game is already figured out (mostly) before the game even comes out is a little underwhelming to me.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I agree with your sentiment. To be honest, a lot of my enjoyment and excitement of a new game like this is in figuring out what the meta is when no one knows anything. I do realize that in this day and age, we're not going back to the good old days of yore when mostly everyone was in the dark and it seemed like we had more fun because we weren't obsessed about min/maxing the shit out of everything. This might seem like a weird thing to say, speaking as someone who actually does like to min/max the shit out of everything, but it kinda feels like spoilers but the spoilers this time aren't based on the plot or story; they're based on the game mechanics. Not only is the early game "no one knows what they're doing yet" honeymoon period extremely short nowadays, but it's basically nonexistent in Diablo 4 since all the guides that figured everything out already are coming out on day -2.

Reviews? Yes, we definitely need those early. Full guides that tell you what to do? Probably not.

Even this content creator who got early access agrees with Quin that this action kills a little bit of that launch day wonderment. (starts at 20:53)

Thing is these videos like I posted are really only there for who want to watch them to help them decide on what to play especially if they are torn between some classes

Plus its easy for people to avoid clicking on those videos if someone wants to stay as blind as possible going in

Personally feel if someone really wants to stay as blind as possible for launch day I wouldn't even be in this particular thread.

Back to my video on ranking the classes it hasn't changed who I am starting with even though they think they wont be as strong end game (and I wont say which class as the avoid any spoilers who they said wont be strongest end game)

But the video did reinforce who I felt would be my first season character to be very strong for end game.

Schmendrick

It's just that knowing that the game is already figured out (mostly) before the game even comes out is a little underwhelming to me.
Well, we`ve seen how fast and drastically Blizzard can tune the balance over the course of just a few weeks. So I´d not worry at all about the game being mostly figured out. Especially not the endgame.
I´m just a tiny bit sad that I lost the chance to just dive in blind and experience everything from start to finish wihout knowing anything.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Quin has a very, uh, poetic way of voicing his opinion about this :messenger_tears_of_joy: - @4:03:37

"The whole race thing and the whole competition - it's not even like that. The part that makes me shit the box, this game - it's supposed to be like this virgin game that we all dive into, right? And we all bust, right? And we all lose our game virginity, right? It's like someone [else] goes in, and busts [metaphorically ejaculates] everywhere, right? Someone goes in and busts [ejaculates, figuratively speaking] everywhere and does all that shit and then we get to go in after."

"All the mystery and the intrigue and the interesting stuff - it's removed. It's gone. I don't even know what my strategy is going to be. Do I watch these videos of these other guys busting inside of the virgin game? They'll be coming out tomorrow, right? In about 24 hours, there's going to be a bunch of videos coming out. And it's like, do I watch some other guy bust [sloppy seconds] in the game?"

Someone in chat says, "It doesn't affect anyone. Just play the game".

Quin replies, "Are you kidding me? It absolutely does. It affects the whole metagame. Are you insane? You think that day 1 in the game will have the same meta as day 10 in the game, if everyone starts equally no knowing what the fuck is going on? Hell no! It's going to constantly iterate fast and evolve quickly until someone figures out, 'actually oh this is really good'. Guess what dude? They would have just done that same shit on the beta. And now it's already been figured out. Which is giga-cringe."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm pretty sure whatever class sucks the most initially is what you are going to want to roll for Season 1 lol.
Necros, Barbs, Demon Hunters, and Wizards from Diablo 3: *nods silently*

Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

Witch Doctors and Crusaders: *looks around confused*

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

Hahaha :messenger_winking_tongue:

Joking aside, yeah you're probably right.

Minsc

Gold Member
Feels so wasteful having the day off and not being able to play Diablo 4! Early access should have totally started before this free holiday (in the US anyway).

If you go around and watch content and builds, yeah it'll affect the experience. I've watched some of them like most people but I'm still going in and will fuck around.

Last beta when I played druid, I mostly finished with what most druid builds are going for anyhow. Well thought out builds don't really affect the first playthrough, it's mostly for the endgame when you start to minmax

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Interesting. I thought I was the only one basically auto-ignoring all these "tier list" and "theorycrafting" videos before I've even had a chance to play the game. You can't really figure out a games systems if you aren't allowed to fumble with them. D4 is definitely going to be a game that everyone should be able to complete with any build with average level gear on Normal difficulty. Let that be the learning phase to actually enjoy the game once without worrying that you're pumping out as much death as you can to race to some "Season Ending."

. . .definitely power running head first through the beta content come Thursday.

Laieon

Interesting. I thought I was the only one basically auto-ignoring all these "tier list" and "theorycrafting" videos before I've even had a chance to play the game. You can't really figure out a games systems if you aren't allowed to fumble with them. D4 is definitely going to be a game that everyone should be able to complete with any build with average level gear on Normal difficulty. Let that be the learning phase to actually enjoy the game once without worrying that you're pumping out as much death as you can to race to some "Season Ending."

. . .definitely power running head first through the beta content come Thursday.

I skip the tier list and theorycrafting videos even after I play the game. 🕶️

I can’t imagine copying someone else’s build to get through the story acts of this game. For seasonal or end game grind ok, but you have to be really bad at games to not beat Diablo story modes easily. Have some fun and experiment ffs.

Minsc

Gold Member
I can’t imagine copying someone else’s build to get through the story acts of this game. For seasonal or end game grind ok, but you have to be really bad at games to not beat Diablo story modes easily. Have some fun and experiment ffs.

Reminds me a bit of Hearthstone, how there'd be sites tracking all the popular decks and you could almost know exactly everything your opponent had in their decks because more than likely they just copied a popular meta deck to get quick and easy wins.

SCB3

God dammit, I said I wasn't gonna buy anymore games until I was done with Zelda and some hours into SF6, but I bought the Standard version, which btw is a lot cheaper on PC than it is on Console despite not being able to buy it via 3rd party website which is strange to me

I kinda wanna run this on Steam Deck as well, could be a fun time when I take the kids to classes and have to wait around

Top Bottom