• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How sugar may make you stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1273659--how-sugar-may-make-you-stupid

Bad news sugar lovers: a diet high in fructose won’t just make you fat, it may also make you stupid, according to research out of California.

A steady high-fructose diet disrupts the brain’s cognitive abilities, leading to poor learning and memory retention, says a study by Fernando Gomez-Pinilla, a neurosurgery professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and Rahul Agrawal, a visiting UCLA postdoctoral fellow from India.

“This type of diet. . . (affects) the transmission of information across cells. . . learning and memory and practically any type of brain function depends very much on how transmission is transported across cells,” Gomez-Pinilla said in an interview with the Star.

Health concerns

Their study, published in the May 15 edition of the Journal of Physiology, looked at high sugar consumption, focusing less on naturally occurring fructose in fruits and more on the fructose in high-fructose corn syrup.

Research has already proven a high-fructose diet leads to a slew of health concerns, including obesity, diabetes and fatty liver.

The U.S. is the world’s largest consumer of sweeteners.

High-fructose corn syrup, which acts as a preservative and sweetener, is found in a variety of processed foods, from soft drinks and baby food to salad dressings and condiments.

The average American consumes approximately 21 kilograms of cane sugar and 16 kilograms of high-fructose corn syrup annually, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Role of fatty acids

Gomez-Pinilla and Agrawal studied two groups of rats, both of which drank a fructose solution in their drinking water for six weeks. One of the groups also consumed omega-3 fatty acids, from flaxseed oil and a DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) capsule. Omega-3 fatty acids have been found to guard against heat disease, high cholesterol and mental conditions such as bipolar disorder and depression, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Both rat groups were trained on a maze for five days before starting their new diet. After six weeks, Gomez-Pinilla and Agrawal retested the rats on the maze to monitor brain function and memory retention, noting the rats that consumed the fructose solution without the omega-3 fatty acids had problems with how they were able to think and recall routes in the maze.

Those rats also showed a resistance to insulin, a hormone that regulates sugar levels in the body.

“Rats fed on a (omega-3 fatty acids) deficient diet showed memory deficits in a Barnes maze, which were further exacerbated by fructose take,” the authors write.

They found that a rich diet of omega-3 fatty acids counteracted the negative affects of fructose.

Implications for humans

In terms of humans, Gomez-Pinilla predicts such changes in the brain to happen within six months to a year.

“The implication(s) here (are) the high consumption and the chronic consumption for man,” Gomez-Pinilla said, adding research needs to be done on the specific affects on humans.

“We don’t know yet how long (the damage) can last.”

The war on unhealthy food choices is a growing. In September, New York City announced it would ban sugar-filled drinks larger than 16-ounces from concession and fast-food stands, restaurants and movie theatres.

In Canada, a push on healthy eating is on the rise as the country grapples with the fact that 31.5 per cent of Canadian children aged 5 to 17 are either overweight or obese, according to a Statistics Canada report released in September.

“Diabetes is very prevalent in western society. It’s known already there is an (epidemic) of diabetes, which is highly related to a consumption of foods high in sugar,” Gomez-Pinilla said.

Gomez-Pinilla advocates a nutrient-rich diet that includes omega-3 fatty acids and a proper mix of healthy choices to offset the dangers of fructose.

Foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids include flaxseed oil, some types of fish, such as salmon, and nuts.

Stopped drinking soft drinks long, long time ago so I am good ^_^

black_13

Banned
I really hope the food industry is forced to regulate sugar usage. Even more so for High-fructose corn syrup which should just be banned in mass consumption products.

I gave up all candy/sweets/ice-cream about 4 months ago and I feel so much better.

Yeah, if you are not actively trying to limit your exposure to HFCS (ie using real sugar sodas and avoiding bread that uses HFCS) you are probably doing it wrong at this point.

bjork

Six months to a year to change it, huh? I'll probably forget by then because eating all this sugar messes with my memory. I think I read that somewhere.

I really hope the food industry is forced to regulate sugar usage. Even more so for High-fructose corn syrup which should just be banned in mass consumption products.

I gave up all candy/sweets/ice-cream about 4 months ago and I feel so much better.
Or how about you worry about yourself and allow a free country to remain that way.

We need education, not regulation.

Phreaker

I would rather have people do what you did than to have even more government regulation. People should be responsible for themselves.

Ever since I gave up alcohol 2 years ago, my sugar intake has gone way up. I'm trying to find snacks that are not sweet, but I'm not really into salty stuff either, so it's hard.

Somnid

Isn't this just saying you need Omega-3 fatty acids in your diet (which we know helps mental function and we know is not properly represented in processed diets) with sugar being some red herring they added to the mix?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Great article, except for the part about FlaxSeed oil. Most useless form of Omega 3 you can ingest. smh.

mackattk

But..but the ads said that my body can't tell a difference!!!

is it because my body is stupid enough not to be able to tell?

Jack_AG

Banned
"Those rats also showed a resistance to insulin, a hormone that regulates sugar levels in the body."

False. Insulin does not regulate sugar levels. It facilitates in sending glucose to various parts of your body from the blood stream to a cellular level. It is used not just as a source of energy feeding your skeletal muscle tissue, your brain, etc - but also aids in recovery of said tissue during damage.

It does not regulate "levels". It helps your body absorb the glucose.

Also, sugar isn't the culprit - it is GLUCOSE. Glucose is what carbohydrates are turned into when your body digests them. Carbs as in bread, pasta, whole grains, wheat, sugars, etc.

They are all glucose.

Eating large amounts of whole grains produces the same effect as eating large amounts of sugar - the main difference is how quickly your body can turn a raw ingredient such as whole grains into glucose vs a refined material like table sugar.

Planting the blame solely on "sugar" foods like candy, snacks, pop, etc is asinine and misleading. No shit high amounts of glucose are dangerous - why not blame ALL foods high in carbohydrates and not just "sugar"?

Sugar regulation will do nothing to stop the ailments that come with BAD DIET.

Take me, for example. I'm an insulin diabetic. When I was diagnosed I was at the peak of my health. I ate amazingly, had a body fat % hovering at 9%, exercised all the time, weighed in at 220 for being 6'3", didn't drink, didn't smoke. I have an auto-immune disease attacking my pancreas and (recently) a few other organs (not willing to discuss here).

Glucose did not make that happen. Working out did not make that happen. The auto-immune disease did.

Is there a relation between eating large amounts of carbohydrate-heavy foods and diabetes? For type 2, sure. It's insulin resistance. You produce so much of it to help facilitate the carbs you intake that your body begins to become resistant to the hormone - meaning you'll wind up on Metformin and other diabetic meds.

Moderation. That's it. I am a diabetic due to an auto immune disease and I find blaming sugar for so much is flat-out wrong. Pop, candy, snacks are not the only means we get carbs.

Moderate the whole fucking thing - this bullshit about "omg that sugary goodness is bad for you" is just one TINY fucking aspect to a much larger picture.

If these doctors and scientists who come out with these studies REALLY cared - they'd finish out the mile they started instead of stopping after checking out the first 20 yards.

There's so much more to the glucose picture than just "sugar". Demonizing one part does nothing to help curb the problem when so many equally dangerous parts exist.

Also - do we REALLY need a study to tell us "eating too much of a bad thing is bad for you"? REALLY? No fucking shit! Thanks for the tip! Nobody knows this!

The better effort would be to help people understand how to properly moderate their food intake - but no - we get continuous research into shit everyone already knows.

Sugar isn't bad in moderation. An alcoholic drink here and there won't turn your liver toxic. An over-abundance, will. Same shit here.

Instead of demonizing something that can be A-OK in moderation - how about EDUCATING on how to properly moderate.

EDIT:
Also saying that foods will affect everyone the same is stupid, as well. As is proven time and again what works for A might not work for B.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Probably because most people completely fail at moderation.

It's a lot easier to abstain from something than to enjoy it in small amounts for most people.

I cut out all grains and sugar almost two years ago and I've enjoyed so many health benefits that there's no way I would ever go back.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Carbs as in bread, pasta, whole grains, wheat, sugars, etc.

They are all glucose.

Eating large amounts of whole grains produces the same effect as eating large amounts of sugar - the main difference is how quickly your body can turn a raw ingredient such as whole grains into glucose vs a refined material like table sugar.

Nope.

Eusis

I would rather have people do what you did than to have even more government regulation. People should be responsible for themselves.
Problem is sometimes they go for gross overuse of HFCS or other types of sucrose. I don't think it should be, say, don't use X amount in a candy bar (that's a health pit anyway), but more like avoid using excessive amounts in something like ham, also not the healthiest thing but not the kind of thing we really want to have to worry about SUGAR with.

Not that I'd know the right answer, but it seems more often than not some degree of regulation and control IS necessary. Or warnings if appropriate.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

You're right! The wheat products are probably worse as they contain all sorts of antinutrients that will screw you up in even more ways. Especially in the form of supermarket bread, which is generally filled with some nasty kind of vegetable oil. Perfect package for inflammation.

Going to say again...it's about moderation. You can have a soda every now and again. Fuck, you could eat Wendy's every now and then too. Even ramen and ice cream cake!

Imagine that!

But don't eat it every day. Nor should you really roll with it once a week, but whatever. Just don't go overboard on stuff.

You're right! The wheat products are probably worse as they contain all sorts of antinutrients that will screw you up in even more ways. Especially in the form of supermarket bread, which is generally filled with some nasty kind of vegetable oil. Perfect package for inflammation.

yea my body hates wheat, it ruined my life...but I ever since I stopped eating it, I have been feeling alot better and performing really well academically.

Doesn't apply to everyone though, my dad is a vegetarian, he eats a lot of wheat and his brain is in great shape. In my case, I guess it has something to do with gluten allergy or something....

TheExodu5

Banned
Aaaaand?

EDIT:
Is this the part where we just say "because I said so" and not care to explain?

Watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Synopsis: the majority of glucose is metabolized by the liver and fills glycogen stores, and the rest goes to fat. Fructose cannot be metabolized by the liver, period. All of it turns to fat. Sucrose is half glucose, half fructose.

Jack_AG

Banned
Watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Synopsis: the majority of glucose is metabolized by the liver and fills glycogen stores, and the rest goes to fat. Fructose cannot be metabolized by the liver, period. All of it turns to fat. Sucrose is half glucose, half fructose.

Read the part I quoted in my larger post and then read my post. I'm speaking about "sugar" in general, not going straight for every aspect of the article in the OP.

TheExodu5

Banned
Read the part I quoted in my larger post and then read my post. I'm speaking about "sugar" in general, not going straight for every aspect of the article in the OP.

And you're still wrong. Sugar is worse than glucose because sugar is half glucose, half fructose.

Fructose?

Maybe I should cut down on my huge consumption of apples.

Fructose is generally in very low concentration in fruits and vegetables. As long as you're not overdoing it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Dennis

Banned
If these doctors and scientists who come out with these studies REALLY cared - they'd finish out the mile they started instead of stopping after checking out the first 20 yards.

Two points:

1) As an actual working scientist I am offended that you just imagine they could have made a better article if only they had 'cared' more.

2) I imagine you have little idea what goes into getting an actual scientific article published.

High-fructose corn syrup, what a surprise.

theinformant_poster.jpg

I haven't read your post, I can't refute your points anyway...my knowledge on this subject is minimal. All I know is, eating wheat didn't suit me, I used to get "brain fog," perform poorly in school, when I was on a high wheat diet. Ever since I have stopped eating wheat, sugary drinks and started exercising and eating meat (i was a vegetarian before), my life has been a lot better and the brain fog has gone away, along with the depression and most of the anxiety.

anyway back to the sugar discussion...

Jack_AG

Banned
And you're still wrong. Sugar is worse than glucose because sugar is half glucose, half fructose.

Again - I'm not arguing the fructose aspect - show me where I say the same about fructose? I'm speaking in generalizations about glucose. I understand it's 50/50 - I'm talking specifically about the GLUCOSE aspect.

Seriously. I'm not M Night Shyamalan - don't go looking for shit between the lines of my post.

Edit:
I'm running on the assumption that people refer to glucose as "sugar". I probably should have clarified that several times in my post :(
I am so used to everyone asking me "how are your sugars?" - that I just use the term "sugar" to describe glucose levels to friends/family/etc without going all ape shit about "glucose".
I extended the same generalization here and should have clarified. My bad.

That all of those things contain glucose != that all of those things are glucose. You're very wrong if you think all of those foods act on the body the same way.

They all trigger insulin responses. The strength of which varies. Insulin is the hormone responsible for regulating fat cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom