• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

Are there more Phoenix gifs besides this one?

qrzw4tzxzdjko40.gif

Axiology

I'm not seeing where everyone is getting Landa and Schultz being the same character. Like, one is a villain who is always out for himself and the other is a moral paragon.

Sure, Waltz has some similarities in his acting (the way he speaks and how he interacts with the main characters), but you can tell that Landa is a much more vicious, conniving character while Schultz is a friendlier, gentler guy. I feel like some of the key scenes in the latter half of Django Unchained really showcase the differences between the two performances, especially
his breakdown after seeing the slave torn apart by dogs
. Schultz was also a much more low key character than Landa. While both characters are somewhat whimsical in the way they act, I could not see Schultz pulling a "that's a BINGO!" or prove as menacing as Landa did in pretty much all of his scenes.

It's like those people who claim that Bill the Butcher and Daniel Plainview are the same character, except only a slight bit more understandable.

kswiston

The fuck? Just watched Django again last night, Waltz is the best thing in that movie.

It's just GAF hyperbole. At some point in history, someone on GAF has called every great movie performance in history dull, boring, unoriginal, phoned in, overrated, etc.

Kinyou

One of the things I found weird was Michelle Obama's appearance. I get that the Obamas are quite open to the media, but it still felt weird and out of place to me. And I think it would have been even weirder when Zero Dark Thirty had won.

harSon

Banned
It's just GAF hyperbole. At some point in history, someone on GAF has called every great movie performance in history dull, boring, unoriginal, phoned in, overrated, etc.

Nah, some performances are unquestionable and have remained as such. Waltz's performance in Django Unchained was definitely great, but I stop short at calling it distinctive or worthy of awards, and rightfully so IMO.

Kusagari

Samuel L. Jackson should have been nominated and probably won.

His performance is probably the most key in the movie and establishing the true conflict in Django. The entire second half of the movie would have fallen apart with a lesser actor doing that part.

kswiston

Nah, some performances are unquestionable and have remained as such. Waltz's performance in Django Unchained was definitely great, but I stop short at calling it distinctive or worthy of awards, and rightfully so IMO.

Well that is different from calling it boring. A lot of great performances miss nominations altogether if they happen to be in a movie that never made it to wide release. When you are limited to 5 spots, to fill with actors from a few hundred movies each year, there is plenty of room for debate on who should have been nominated/who should have won.

That said, I don't think I have seen a single performance in the past decade go un-shit on by at least a couple people on GAF. I'm sure that, if I tried hard enough, I could find a post on GAF saying Al Pachino sucked in the Godfather. It's the rule of the internet.

harSon

Banned
He plays the same role because QT wrote Schultz almost the exact same as Landa. They are two sides of the same coin, and Waltz played them as such.

And some actors had their performances hampered by a shitty script. You shouldn't have to make excuses for an Academy Award winning performance. The fact of the matter is, Waltz has won two Best Supporting Actor awards for basically putting in carbon copy performances. I don't mind nominating him for the performance, but to nominate him over Samuel L. Jackson or Leonardo DiCaprio, who gave performances that were distinctive, transformative and brilliant, and then to give him the award over people like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Tommy Lee Jones and Philip Seymour Hoffman, was a complete travesty IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom