• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will God of War Ragnarok be delayed? Avatar bet

Is GoW Ragnarok getting delayed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Elios83

Yeah this is where they announce new 1st party stuff along with more 3rd party games and updates. Question is when will they do it this year?
Could be later this month, July or September.
It will also depend on how they decide to handle GoW. If they decide to give it its own show/SoP soon, chances of a full showcase later in September are higher.
Point is that Sony won't announce these things until a few days before they're supposed to happen so it will be a road full of fake insiders claiming they know things they don't and "concerned" people on message boards :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dolodolo

Sure, showcase.

I find the idea of Sony not announcing a release date on their own SoP but for some reason holding it back for a week later at Keighleys show weird. Yes that SoP was mostly third party, but they showed first person stuff like Horizon, Spider man etc there too.

Perhaps they didn't want to draw attention away from FF16 and RE4. Again, with all due respect to Sop, Kaylee will have more reach in terms of views, and this is the most important game for Sony this year, so it's better to announce the release date there.

Sure, showcase.

I find the idea of Sony not announcing a release date on their own SoP but for some reason holding it back for a week later at Keighleys show weird. Yes that SoP was mostly third party, but they showed first person stuff like Horizon, Spider man etc there too.

Only reason I can think of.

chrome_2018-12-07_12-46-31.png

Kaylee will have more reach in terms of views

That also makes sense.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And?

They still have all summer (which hasn't started yet) to announce a release date.

Of course and all I said before was the longer the release date announcement is held back, the more likelier that this gets pushed to next year becomes.

Mr Moose

Geoff keigley has way more pull than some of us give credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a god of war trailer as well as kojimas next game. He got elden ring last year. If I remember right, he even got the reveal for the last of us.
Yup, we know they will be there in some form at the Summer Games thing, wouldn't surprise me if GoW was shown.

ParaSeoul

Yup, we know they will be there in some form at the Summer Games thing, wouldn't surprise me if GoW was shown.

Apparently the state of play is counted as part of summer game fest according to Geoffs pinned video. Don't know if theres more first party stuff at the main show.

mejin

Starfield showed off nothing to suggest it was anywhere near a 2022 release.

It had a release date. They confirmed It would launch this year and They delayed It.

What I meant there is no need for concern about Ragnarok just because its launch date is not known yet.

CamHostage

It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. A SoP in September with a release date in November seems a bit unlikely to me. Especially as games like Horizon had release windows established way earlier in advance.

They can have multiple State of Play streams. They just did one for Hogwarts Legacy in March, and that's not even a Sony game.

For one thing, State of Play isn't a money-making operation for Sony; it's a marketing stream. So they don't necessarily care how well each SoP clicks compared other PlayStation marketing tactics, they just care that generally the shows do their jobs of exposing people to the featured products.

State of Plays are semi-regular events which often have themes, and they told you what was going to be on the stream before the stream started: "We’ll have some exciting reveals from our third-party partners, plus a sneak peek at several games in development for PlayStation VR2. " It was not going to be a show about 1st Party games, and it wasn't. They did put Spider-Man PC in there because, why not, it's PC, and then Horizon VR was a weird inclusion but it was part of their VR chunk (and they did announce that as part of the show beforehand too.) Otherwise, it wasn't 'their' show; it was their partner-oriented show.

In a show like this week's SoP, they need to do right by their partners. If they ran a show where SF6 and RE4make and Final Fantasy XVI and Callisto Protocol and the first series of PSVR2 games all got featured, but the only thing anybody talked about was God of War, then that's not good for all those publishers who trusted Sony that this was their moment.

Overanalyzing what is and is not included in a State of Play is kind of a waste... it's an internet video stream, they can turn it on again tomorrow if they wanted to. They can throw as many SoPs as they want in a year. (If you follow Nintendo Direct as an example, that show can come on at a whim and can have everything from an E3-level showcase to like an update on Animal Crossing DLC.)

As far as the specific GoW date and reveal, this is commodity info for Sony right now, and we're in a high point for viewer attention to gaming news. So Sony can be shopping. Keighley wants it and has huge exposure points, it'll be a cross-audience show and so that puts something major screaming "PlayStation is awesome!" on a show Xbox and on-the-fence or eventually PC gamers will be tuned in for, and Sony can come up with plenty of content to fill up its own SoP show when the time comes even if they give Keighley something.

(And BTW, what they maybe give Keighley might be just a CG commercial of Kratos looking frownyfaced while ice cracks over the logo, then a release date, and an advertisement of "Tune in for an exciting God of War Ragnarok gameplay deep-dive on a special edition of State of Play coming ##/##th..." or something like that. Big or small, giving Keighley or whoever a highlight for their video show is ultimately good for Sony's gaming machine.)

Last edited:

CamHostage

Of course and all I said before was the longer the release date announcement is held back, the more likelier that this gets pushed to next year becomes.

More likely, maybe? If the reason they're not announcing the date is that development is still uncertain of what date they can hit, then 2023 is not out of the realm of possibility. If the reason is purely strategic, then they're just using the market the way they see it'll work out best.

Thing is, we the people don't know Sony's reasons. We can only speculate on message boards...

Shadow-dropping is a thing now. Halo Infinite (another unfortunately-delayed tentpole game, though for much more publicly-visible reasons) didn't announce its date until August 25th, and that came out Dec 8. Forza Horizon 5 went from nobody-knows-existed to smash hit in 22 weeks.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

that trailer won't have stuff that hasn't been revealed yet

it's basically a hype trailer with a bunch of games, old and new
They could use the previous footage to show its going to be there. Or they could just tweet it like they do for other games having gameplay shown off.

Borowski_1

They could use the previous footage to show its going to be there. Or they could just tweet it like they do for other games having gameplay shown off.

"previous footage to show its going to be there"

If they do that and then the game isn't there, people will eat him alive lol

Wasn't there a tweet from a dev at SSM that they couldn't wait for the launch party or something? All but confirms a 2022 release date. Why would he say that if it was like 6+ months away?

99% sure it's 2023. Being in LA you can only imagine how much of a disruption the covid lockdowns must have been. Given that they likely didn't start development until the end of 2018, an early 2023 release isn't that much more than 4 years. That's kind of how long a AAA title takes now.

Wasn't there a tweet from a dev at SSM that they couldn't wait for the launch party or something? All but confirms a 2022 release date. Why would he say that if it was like 6+ months away?

This one?

Another Sony Santa Monica employee talking about "finishing Ragnarok". This one is already thinking of its launch party that GAF thinks it's happening in 2023. 👀

99% sure it's 2023. Being in LA you can only imagine how much of a disruption the covid lockdowns must have been. Given that they likely didn't start development until the end of 2018, an early 2023 release isn't that much more than 4 years. That's kind of how long a AAA title takes now.

Maybe but it is a sequel so development time for that should be even shorter in theory.

Borowski_1

pretty sure it started development when the first game was finished

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People concerned because Sony didn't talk about a first party game on a 3rd party state of play lmao
And after its been pointed out and shown they have main showcases not called...State of Play....

Sony has been differentiating between the two for a couple of years now.

Too funny.

Put it like this, if this was their main showcase...we wont know until Dec 31 2022, Jan 1 2023.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Geoff keigley has way more pull than some of us give credit for. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a god of war trailer as well as kojimas next game. He got elden ring last year. If I remember right, he even got the reveal for the last of us.
Yeah Elden ring got marketing deal with PlayStation and it still first showed on Geoff show

My friend that is still trying to get a PS5 just messaged me asking if GoW Ragnarok is really going to releasing this year... best I could say was "they keep saying it will but it's hard to believe".

If it doesn't get a date by Thursday I'm 100% team 2023, end the charade Jimbo, give us a date.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Is the Summer Games Fest thing not a separate show? Damn, that thieving little shit lol.

Yeah, not sure but seems like some folks are expecting a TGA style Keighley hosted show.

That's not the case.

The Summer Game Fest is basically an amalgam of the smaller shows and the one on one reveals like the Callypso Protocol game play reveal in the coming days.

Keighley isn't stupid enough to have two big competing shows similar to each other in a single year. TGA is his "gaming oscars" magnum opus.

People concerned because Sony didn't talk about a first party game on a 3rd party state of play lmao

But they did .. Horizon and Spider Man are first party games last I checked.

Last edited:
Yeah, not sure but seems like some folks are expecting a TGA style Keighley hosted show.

That's not the case.

The Summer Game Fest is basically an amalgam of the smaller shows and the one on one reveals like the Callypso Protocol game play reveal in the coming days.

Keighley isn't stupid enough to have two big competing shows similar to each other in a single year. TGA is his "gaming oscars" magnum opus.

Sony could always have another SOP it’s not like they are limited to just one a month. I think that’s a good idea if they want GoW to have an event to itself.

That's not the case.

Geoff, Keighley:
"See you live on Thursday, June 9 for our big showcase event!"

Dude had it out for E3 for long a while, this is his shot. There is half an year between each show, he doesn't need to save anything for TGA, nor can he.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Geoff, Keighley:

I thought you had me on ignore :p

and yes the official website does have a 2 hour slot for .. something ..

But then again, the State of Play and even the Bethesda x MS show are counted as part of summer game fest.

CamHostage

That's not the case.

Summer Game Fest is basically a Twitter feed and a Youtube channel combining all the events of the summer, but it does have a kickoff event on June 9, and that event last year was a main-event type festival more or less. Had Elden Ring gameplay reveal, Tiny Tina, downstream stuff like Death Stranding DC and Jurassic World Evo 2, etc. He'll be trying to have at least one big showstopper for that event too.

https://www.ign.com/articles/geoff-keighley-kickoff-live-summer-of-gaming-game-fest-announcements

SGF isn't in competition with TGAs. It's in collaboration with. He's trying to be a central player in cross-platform product disclosure events (and especially when every company is doing their own Showcase if not starting their own Con, him having clout for getting eyeballs on game reveals in a large capacity helps make both shows easier to schedule.)

Last edited:
Geoff, Keighley:

Dude had it out for E3 for long a while, this is his shot. There is half an year between each show, he doesn't need to save anything for TGA, nor can he.

I don't see why not. Having GoW at that event does make sense especially with the converge that it will get. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Sony won't go through 2022 without doing something GoW related. Whether it's dropping a delay or giving us a date that's anyone's guess.

Last edited:
I thought you had me on ignore :p

and yes the official website does have a 2 hour slot for .. something ..

But then again, the State of Play and even the Bethesda x MS show are counted as part of summer game fest.
You thought right but sometimes I'm tempted to see what nonsense people are replying too...

I'm never disappointed, keep on keeping on.

Last edited:

yurinka

99% sure it's 2023.
0% chances of being delayed to 2023, they already delayed it from 2021 to 2022. SSM staff said to preparing the launch party, multiple SSM workers said they will release it this year, it has been rated in Korea, they started the launch promotion with the accesibility PS Blog post and some GoWR merchandising will release in September.

Sounds like a September 2022 game to me.

Maybe Sony decided to put 2nd tier 1st party stuff like the Horizon VR game and the PC port on that 3rd party+PSVR2 event and decided that GoWR date and trailer or the TLOU announcements will be better in dedicated SoPs for them, or gave them for the main Summer Doritos Fest show because thought the 3rd party + PSVR2 SoP was already too packed of greatness.

Last edited:

GHound

That's not the case.

Gee... I wonder what could have given them that idea.

Horizon PSVR2 and Spiderman PC are first party games.

But Horizon is a VR2 game. They stated they would talk about VR2 games. Didn't said those couldn't be 1st party.

Spider Man was just a PC release from an old game. They wouldn't waste their big next release on a lil 30 minute state of play.

They are either doing a bigger show next or another State of Play for GoW

Top Bottom