• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will God of War Ragnarok be delayed? Avatar bet

Is GoW Ragnarok getting delayed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fredrik

I love God of War, favorite PS4 game, but I have to admit, a part of me want Ragnarök to be delayed because I want Elden Ring and FROM to break all GOTY award records there is to break.

I wouldn’t bet on a delay though. It already looked ready for launch last year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Until the day it isn't

and gets replaced by "Is out now"

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
You Got Me GIF by HULU

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I love God of War, favorite PS4 game, but I have to admit, a part of me want Ragnarök to be delayed because I want Elden Ring and FROM to break all GOTY award records there is to break.

This is ridiculous fanboy bullshit. You want a game to be delayed just so another that you are over the top obsessed with will win more awards. It is not healthy to need awards to validate your obsession for a product.

BlueHawk

Neo Member
I feel the opposite, every game I have bought from Sony in past year has been a banger. If Insomniac holds true for 2023, then SPiderman 2 is going to be a big game next year.
I mean, from the top of my head,
Ratchet+Clank was really awesome, but not worth the £70 paid, perhaps £40-£50.

Gran Turismo was a flop personally, and probably should have been free to play.

Had to get Sackboy for my son and felt that should have been almost half the price.

Miles Morales, whilst fun was very short and well overpriced.

The only game I feel was worth the full price so far personally is Ghost of Tsushima. But. You could also get it on PS4 at a cheaper price and I don’t feel the upgrade to PS5 was that big.

Spider-Man 2 and GoW Ragnorok may both be worth the £70, but by that time I’ll be subscription/free-to-play gaming only.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is ridiculous fanboy bullshit. You want a game to be delayed just so another that you are over the top obsessed with will win more awards. It is not healthy to need awards to validate your obsession for a product.
Hey, at least hes being honest. Nothing wrong with being a fanboy if you are aware of it.

skit_data

As much as I love God of War, I think Elden Ring will be GOTY nonetheless because it’s a brand new franchise and name and it pretty much somehow exceeded all expectations despite having a one of the biggest hyptrains I’ve ever seen.

Papacheeks

Banned

Had to get Sackboy for my son and felt that should have been almost half the price.

The only game I feel was worth the full price so far personally is Ghost of Tsushima. But. You could also get it on PS4 at a cheaper price and I don’t feel the upgrade to PS5 was that big.

Spider-Man 2 and GoW Ragnorok may both be worth the £70, but by that time I’ll be subscription/free-to-play gaming only.

Gran Turismo 7 outside of the MTX's in terms of quality content is better than GT SPORT by miles. Miles morales was priced only at $50, and if you paid $70 you got Spiderman 2018 remastered with all DLC.

I'll give you that outside of maxing out your guns Ratchet doesn't have a lot of replay value, but then again if you waited it went on sale literally the same year during Christmas for 40$-50.

Sorry but Returnal is the game that keeps on giving and is worth full price, so is Last of us part 2, so is GT7.

Here's the beauty you can wait and they go on sale all the time.

Fredrik

Take it easy, I’ll explain below.
As much as I love God of War, I think Elden Ring will be GOTY nonetheless because it’s a brand new franchise and name and it pretty much somehow exceeded all expectations despite having a one of the biggest hyptrains I’ve ever seen.
Maybe but I love both IPs and I know it’ll be a versus scenario neither game needs, with fans exaggerating the few negatives left and right no matter how tiny they are, we’ve seen it so many times before and it’ll happen again.

I just want FROM to get the praise they deserve. For me they’ve done what Nintendo did with BOTW, reshaped the landscape for how everyone should make open world games going forward. I don’t want to see a million icons on a map and arrows and markers on a compass anymore. And no protagonist giving me hints by mumbling what I should do after 10 seconds of not doing exactly what the game want me to do.
I absolutely love how Elden Ring just put me into this gigantic open world and let me explore and figure out stuff by myself.

Jimmy_liv

Demon souls remake was fantastic

odhiex

I don't think Sony would want to release it in 2023, because Ragnarok would potentially be the last cross-gen game from their 1st party studio (except for sports games) this year. The Last of Us 1 remake this year could also be cross-gen.

We have seen recently that many third party projects cancelled the last-gen versions of their games to be released in 2023 onwards.

Bramble

Well, the team of Cyberpunk and Starfield also said they would release in certain dates and ended up postponed. You're saying it's just "wishful thinking" but your evidences are as much significant nowadays as the fact that we're in almost half of 2022 and the game still has no release date and barely any news for quite some time.

Sure, I do believe it's entirely possible for it to release in 2022. But I also believe it might, very well, be postponed to early 2023 and it wouldn't be shocking at all.

Some of you seems to get too easily triggered by such minor things... To expect at this day and age a game to be delayed is nothing to be shocked at.

With all due respect, but GoW already has been delayed and I personally consider SSM as a better developer than both CDPR and Bethesda combined, not to mention the poor studio management MS is known for. And to add to that: look at how many platforms Cyberpunk was supposed to run on. GoW only has PS4 and PS5.

On top of that the SSM twitter account says it's releasing in 2022 and yesterday PlayStation Access posted a video with their most anticipated 2022 games including God of War.

I know delays can always happen, but given the evidence we have, it would be a huge suprise to me personally.

sendit

Take it easy, I’ll explain below.

Maybe but I love both IPs and I know it’ll be a versus scenario neither game needs, with fans exaggerating the few negatives left and right no matter how tiny they are, we’ve seen it so many times before and it’ll happen again.

I just want FROM to get the praise they deserve. For me they’ve done what Nintendo did with BOTW, reshaped the landscape for how everyone should make open world games going forward. I don’t want to see a million icons on a map and arrows and markers on a compass anymore. And no protagonist giving me hints by mumbling what I should do after 10 seconds of not doing exactly what the game want me to do.
I absolutely love how Elden Ring just put me into this gigantic open world and let me explore and figure out stuff by myself.

Does FROM not get enough praise as is? They're pretty much the gold standard when it comes to Souls-like games.

Fredrik

Does FROM not get enough praise as is? They're pretty much the gold standard when it comes to Souls-like games.
Iirc they’ve only got the industry-wide recognition with Sekiro when it comes to GOTY. With no other big AAA IP they would do it again with Elden Ring. With Ragnarök there it would be a tiresome versus scenario just like with God of War and Red Dead Redemption 2, two absolutely fantastic games that in some discussions by some people are said to be complete trash.
It’s a spectacular game with surprisingly wide appeal, haven’t seen this many people sync up their gaming interest and talk about the same game since BOTW.

Bramble

Sony is just trolling with ya'll, seriously. They've seen people crying about a delay for months. They are even announcing accessibility features before the release date. Love it.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
People are already saying this means nothing. Like clockwork, lmao.
You know what, I agree with them. We've already seen:

a decent size gameplay clip

devs moving on as if their work on the game is done

Linkedin post from a brand manager mentioning helping to market the game

now these accessibility options...that got added to Ragnarok....

Obviously this means its coming Holiday 2023, but will be delayed to Mar 2024..

/S

You know what, I agree with them. We've already seen:

a decent size gameplay clip

devs moving on as if their work on the game is done

Linkedin post from a brand manager mentioning helping to market the game

now these accessibility options...that got added to Ragnarok....

Obviously this means its coming Holiday 2023, but will be delayed to Mar 2024..

/S
Everyone knows that you start to work on accessibility options when the game is barely even working

/s

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Could be a sign that they will ramp up the marketing really soon. Now this doesn’t necessarily confirm a 2022 release date though.
You know, I get this, and I agree. Absolutely agree.

At the same time....there's a difference between informed, reasonable speculation and wishful thinking.

GHound

I delayed my vote until the last minute and as a result they can no longer delay the game. Sorry Sony, I don't make the rules... I only pretend like I do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know, I get this, and I agree. Absolutely agree.

At the same time....there's a difference between informed, reasonable speculation and wishful thinking.

Deep down I really want to play this soon. But yes I’m open to a possible delay but leaning more towards it won’t happen.

Sony is just trolling with ya'll, seriously. They've seen people crying about a delay for months. They are even announcing accessibility features before the release date. Love it.
So? A release date clearly means nothing anyway, as we learned with Halo Infinite and then again with Starfield.

Bramble

I feel they will delay it strategically because we all know Elden Ring is game of the year and God Of War won’t change that, so they would prefer their chances next year.

You were probably thinking something similar but then GoW 2018 destroyed RDR2, remember. Don’t be silly.

Oh well

Another Sony Santa Monica employee talking about "finishing Ragnarok". This one is already thinking of its launch party that GAF thinks it's happening in 2023. 👀

Mad Season 1 GIF by Rick and Morty

But seriously if it’s getting delayed they better shut up their employees.

Edit: Although I think there’s more of a chance of it coming this year to be honest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom