• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

KàIRóS

I finally finished it at 141 hours, Hard mode, lvl 99, most sidequests completed, all heroes unlocked and most of them at Rank 20, most unique enemies defeated, ultimate weapons obtained (didn't expect this sidequest btw) and ready to go into postgame to start killing the superbosses and finish whatever is left.

My thoughts: if there's one reason to play the game it's the class system, there's so much variety for playstyles, it's one of the best class systems in JRPGs period, the characters are OK, Taion and Mio are my favorites, Story also went back to the bigger emphasis in the philosophical storytelling similar to the older Xeno games, the world building is really well done, if you actually take time to read NPC chats you can see how much of an impact the party has on the game's world and the many factions in it, I love those kind of little details, the soundtrack is full of bangers as expected, the open world exploration was good even though I still think XCX does it the best, combat is the best version of the Xenoblade battle system, the Ouroboros transformations make you feel like a true powerhouse, the new Chain Attacks feel like a cool turn based minigame and even small additions like the Dash or the new Field arts make the combat so much more engaing compared to previous versions, it feels like all the good ideas from the previous Xenoblades were combined for this one while also removing the bad ones like the spike damage from XC1 or the horrible gacha system from XC2, overall great game.

I know Elden Ring will ultimately win GOTY but XC3 totally deserves to be on the GOTY nominees at least, it's definitely up there alongside Dragon Quest XI, Tales of Arise, Persona 5, etc, as one of the best modern JRPGs.

Does the game teaches any of this? Cause I haven't seen a single tutorial on it

Edit: nvm sounds like you get this later
Just to be clear in case you missed it (not saying you did) you actually get 5 rounds because of Orobouros. So there's 3 rounds normally, and there's a free round when you use your hero character, so that's 4 rounds. Then if during those 4 rounds you use 2 halves of an Orobouros, you will get a 5th round at the end for their Orobouros order.

So:

Noah > Zeon > Eunie > Mio > those 4 rounds would get you a 5th round with Noah/Mio Orobouros

Or

Valdi > Sena > Taion > Eunie those 4 rounds would get you a 5th round with Taion/Eunie Orobouros

jorgejjvr

Just to be clear in case you missed it (not saying you did) you actually get 5 rounds because of Orobouros. So there's 3 rounds normally, and there's a free round when you use your hero character, so that's 4 rounds. Then if during those 4 rounds you use 2 halves of an Orobouros, you will get a 5th round at the end for their Orobouros order.

So:

Noah > Zeon > Eunie > Mio > those 4 rounds would get you a 5th round with Noah/Mio Orobouros

Or

Valdi > Sena > Taion > Eunie those 4 rounds would get you a 5th round with Taion/Eunie Orobouros
But this unlocks later right? It's not always available? I have chain attacks but this part has never been explained

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really like what they done with chain attacks in XC3, there much more thought you need to put in what order you want to go. In XC1 it felt too much tied to character affinity and tension and XC2 it was little too simple and honestly too OP, with XC3 it’s much more balanced.

NanaMiku

I really like what they done with chain attacks in XC3, there much more thought you need to put in what order you want to go. In XC1 it felt too much tied to character affinity and tension and XC2 it was little too simple and honestly too OP, with XC3 it’s much more balanced.
Yeah, Xenoblade 1 was too random, Xenoblade X I still don't understand lol, Xenoblade 2 was simple.
But I kinda wish we can do it longer than 5 orders lol

Danjin44

Yeah, Xenoblade 1 was too random, Xenoblade X I still don't understand lol, Xenoblade 2 was simple.
But I kinda wish we can do it longer than 5 orders lol
I think it’s balanced around the fact that you don’t need to use Chain attack meter to revive party and fills up quickly enough that you can use it much more often.

I miss in XC2 being surrounding by a huge mob of enemies while fighting a boss and killing them all at once with massive super during a chain attack like Kosmos's level 2.

So far the only AoE is during rounds and doesn't effect a wide area or do much damage. Don't tell me if that changes later, I will just look forward to seeing for myself.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Chapter 3 boss
Consul J has been a difficulty spike for sure. I feel like I need to do my own healing because people keep dropping with my current healers.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah taking more healers tends to make the content even easier... I saved 99 gold coins to trade for an item that let's none healers revive downed team mates, when i got to 99 i checked and it showed i already had 1 of the item anyway so thought oh OK... and crafted a tier X revive speed gem with them instead.

Having the healers all have 45% faster revive is a godsend for harder content, you can gem in more HP on revive too and your pretty much good with 3 healers and a tank that can revive via the accessory.

Pejo

Comparing the best battle theme across all 3 (technically 4) games, I still find the OG the best. I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 > DE. They never recaptured the magic from YWKON when the guitar riffs hit. What do you guys think so far of XBC3 OST in general by the way? I haven't really hit many memorable songs yet. I'm waiting for something to grow on me. They seem to have replaced the memorable riffs with more subtle tracks, with a more eastern aesthetic. I loved the title screen track though, I guess credit where it's due there.

Danjin44

Comparing the best battle theme across all 3 (technically 4) games, I still find the OG the best. I'd rank them 1 > 2 > 3 > DE. They never recaptured the magic from YWKON when the guitar riffs hit. What do you guys think so far of XBC3 OST in general by the way? I haven't really hit many memorable songs yet. I'm waiting for something to grow on me. They seem to have replaced the memorable riffs with more subtle tracks, with a more eastern aesthetic. I loved the title screen track though, I guess credit where it's due there.

I find this song really, REALLY good.

Also this music really hit hard when they send off Ethel in chapter 4.

Last edited:

Pejo

I find this song really, REALLY good.

Yea this one isn't bad, it just is more... I dunno how to describe it. Like it just spins in place, musically. Never culminates or drops or anything.
Also this music really hit hard when they send off Ethel in chapter 4.

I think this one does a really good job of tying into the story/scene, but personally I can not stand flute-heavy music at all. It's like aural poison to me. I realize they can't pull guitars out of their pockets or anything, and flutes go with the eastern aesthetic, but man, I'd kill for a harmonica or something instead.

I got to the beginign of chapter 6... holy shit. This is some Xenogear reincernation there like with Fei and Elly. I NEVER expect M and Mio spirit swap so M can die and Mio can live; This remind me of xenosaga 3 when Nigerdo decide to sacrifice himself for Alberto. N can be asshole but man, he have seen some shit. Could Z be possible a form of Zanza?

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I used
4 healers for this on hard (level 29) and controlled one of the healers.
That worked perfectly.
I survived by being the healer, but also counterattacks (4 healers). The attack where J body slams you wiped everyone except 3 people. I watched in horror, but I immediately got back up. I helped revive another party member and went right into the final counterattack with a new special. It caused an Overkill. It felt good. Lol

NanaMiku

I think because of the theme the story, they can't make music that as similar to the previous games. Xenoblade 1 and 2 have a sense of adventure in the story, so it make sense the music to have many varieties and upbeat. With Xenoblade 3, their theme is pretty grimm.

Exentryk

I really like the music in this. It's very apt for the area you are in and the context/situation. Some of those sad tunes really suit the mood for this story. Some of the field tracks I could tell were inspired by Guar Plains and the likes, but overall, this is quite fresh and good.

Danjin44

I think because of the theme the story, they can't make music that as similar to the previous games. Xenoblade 1 and 2 have a sense of adventure in the story, so it make sense the music to have many varieties and upbeat. With Xenoblade 3, their theme is pretty grimm.
Exactly! XC3 is going for entirety different tone compare to pervious games and to me it’s one of the strength of Xeno series, each game has its own atmosphere they are going for and I love it!

Also I finally reached the ”City” in chapter 5, I like how a proper city feels so different than colonies, which hits home the point how abnormal our character’s lives use to be.

I REALLY loved the character’s reaction through the whole thing.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I got to the beginign of chapter 6... holy shit. This is some Xenogear reincernation there like with Fei and Elly. I NEVER expect M and Mio spirit swap so M can die and Mio can live; This remind me of xenosaga 3 when Nigerdo decide to sacrifice himself for Alberto. N can be asshole but man, he have seen some shit. Could Z be possible a form of Zanza?
Chapter 5 into Chapter 6 is a big highlight. But to answer your question the answer is no.

FriulHado

This game is so good
Well Done Ok GIF by funk

Exactly! XC3 is going for entirety different tone compare to pervious games and to me it’s one of the strength of Xeno series, each game has its own atmosphere they are going for and I love it!

Also I finally reached the ”City” in chapter 5, I like how a proper city feels so different than colonies, which hits home the point how abnormal our character’s lives use to be.

I REALLY loved the character’s reaction through the whole thing.

How many hours are you in the game?

I stopped playing for a few days. I finished Chapter 6. It was very...interesting? I don't know. It was odd. Can't really talk about spoilers yet cause I don't want to judge the story when it isn't finished. I just hope they answer a lot of the unaddressed stuff. This seems like a midway point in the story? At least, I hope it is. Definitely like Noah a lot more, but we still need more time for the characters to really shine like Xeno 2's cast. Looking forward to see where the story goes after all those...developments lol.

Chastten

Banned
I started a week later and taking it slow, but currently nearing the end of chapter 3. I'm overleveled as all fuck since I did a lot of exploring, sidequesting and just trying out builds, so I'm around level 42 I think, around 26 hours in.

Story is pretty good so far, but not sure if its gonna be as great as the previous games. Not far enough in yet. It's definitely fascinating though.

Danjin44

I started a week later and taking it slow, but currently nearing the end of chapter 3. I'm overleveled as all fuck since I did a lot of exploring, sidequesting and just trying out builds, so I'm around level 42 I think, around 26 hours in.

Story is pretty good so far, but not sure if its gonna be as great as the previous games. Not far enough in yet. It's definitely fascinating though.
My advice is play on harder difficulty and stop using level up in camps, also eat food that only increase your CP gain because you get less CP when you overleveled.

In all Xenoblade you can easy overlevel when you do side quests.

Jsisto

My advice is play on harder difficulty and stop using level up in camps, also eat food that only increase your CP gain because you get less CP when you overleveled.

Yea I can't imagine ever needing to use bonus exp. It's so easy to get levels, especially using cooking. I'd only maybe consider if in ng+

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I haven't played any of this series since the first "Chronicles" game on Wii, mainly because I rarely have time for games of this length.

Which one is best to follow that with, when I'm ready? Obviously I have a Switch but also a Wii U here, so all of them are possible for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Doesn't matter. 2 or 3. The games on their own are self contained stories.

I'd say 3 from gameplay perspective.

I haven't played any of this series since the first "Chronicles" game on Wii, mainly because I rarely have time for games of this length.

Which one is best to follow that with, when I'm ready? Obviously I have a Switch but also a Wii U here, so all of them are possible for me.

I woudl say go 2 first then 3. They absolutely are *not* self-contained stories and do have very strong and prominent ties in previous games.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I woudl say go 2 first then 3. They absolutely are *not* self-contained stories and do have very strong and prominent ties in previous games.
Nah I disagree. You can play 1 2 or 3 without playing the others. You would just miss a few details. Playing the others let's you pick up on a few things.

If they really don't have a lot of free time they can play Future Connected.

Xenoblade Chronicles isn't like Xenosaga where you need to play the games in order.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

No idea why they included Mananna as a story character in this game. Says the most useless, annoying and cringe shit during important bits of the story...just can't take it as seriously. Hate when jrpg devs do this.

Jsisto

No idea why they included Mananna as a story character in this game. Says the most useless, annoying and cringe shit during important bits of the story...just can't take it as seriously. Hate when jrpg devs do this.
You take that back!!! I think this game honestly couldve went further with Nopon humor. I love those little guys. Xenoblade 2 was probably my least favorite of the 3, but had the most Nopon involvement, and I loved it for that. In summation, Nopon are integral to the Xenoblade experience, and you should be ashamed for not liking them.

Sarcasm, obviously, but I do love me some Nopons….

I’m in chapter 3 and I love most of the OST. Xenoblade 1 still has the most iconic tracks (title screen, prologue, engage the enemy, you will know our names, etc etc.). However the boss theme at the end of chapter 2 blew me away and then some, it could easily serve as the final boss theme in another game, it goes so hard and epic especially in the last part:

I’m just glad to be alive at a time where this music was made.

By the way my Ouroboros always heat up before I get to use the Talent Arts. I already got the first node in the soul trees that slows down overheating a little, but I always overheat before filling the Talent Art gauge. Any tips for this?

NanaMiku

How many hours are you in the game?

I think I’m around 50 - 60 hours, I’m taking my time exploring and doing side quests as much as I can.
I'm at 75 hours and just reached City lol
I explore the area as much as possible. I was surprised they hide a mechanic in optional area (the rotating puzzle door)

I only eat food that boost item drop/collectable drop

By the way my Ouroboros always heat up before I get to use the Talent Arts. I already got the first node in the soul trees that slows down overheating a little, but I always overheat before filling the Talent Art gauge. Any tips for this?
Increase the interlink to level 3, it'll fill the talent art faster. Also make sure to cancel when using arts, it'll fill the talent arts faster. I think there's also soul link that enable you to cancel from arts to arts, it'll also fill the talent arts faster.

NanaMiku

Yup discovered that as well, it leads you the Nopon that exchange your Nopon coins for accessory.
I tried circling around the cliff around the pond but cannot find the entrance, turns out the entrance was far away lol
I found another one in Pentelas region that leads to unique monster
Thanks man I'll 💯 that area than
It'll take time, especially the desert. Brace yourself lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom