• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Lantern Corps gets David Goyer to write and produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
aiJ7N2e.gif

Ok I guess

MJ4DYCf.gif

One day, we'll get Kyle to save the entire DCEU. One day.

I'm down for a Hal and John movie, but pls don't let Tyrese anywhere near it. If only John Boyega was older, or Idris younger. Fuck it, give it to Idris anyway.

firelogic

What the fuck noooo

Terrio save us

That part was cool tbh. Quite original.

I preferred her when she was in swampy witch mode but her final form wasn't bad either. Her erratic movements made her creepy and offputting.

One day, we'll get Kyle to save the entire DCEU. One day.

I'm down for a Hal and John movie, but pls don't let Tyrese anywhere near it. If only John Boyega was older, or Idris younger. Fuck it, give it to Idris anyway.

Unless Tyrese upped his acting game, I don't think he should even be under consideration for Stewart. I'm not an authority on the character but I know he isn't a loud-mouthed joker. Idris would be great because he can play it straight with some sarcastic lines here and there. It could be a veteran Stewart teaming up with a brash rookie Hal Jordan.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/green-la...dc-1201884133/

David Goyer writing and producing. Geoff Johns and Jon Berg exec producing.

Origin story. "Lethal Weapon in Space." Hal Jordan and John Stewart buddy movie.

Edit: Co-Writer Justin Rhodes. Writing Credits

this thread is going to deliver. I hope Johns has some authority on the story. Also if they're taking this approach that means GL is already kind of established and there is no need for an explanation.

Michael Clarke Duncan as Kilowog was the rare bright spot in that 2011 movie (rip).

Mark Strong's Sinestro was the other. I wouldn't be against bringing him back as the same character in s different universe.

I wouldn't. That's the whole point of the multiverse. It would make perfect sense.

Edit. I missed what you said. I agree with you.

That's because, like Ben Affleck (yes I know blah blah debate blah blah), Mark Strong is much too good of an actor for these movies.

Man now I'm imagining Terry Crews calling someone a poozer and know it's not happening and I'm sad.

- J - D -

Lethal Weapon in space? YES. After the broccoli colored turd Green Lantern dropped I remember saying that the best way to do a GL movie was to have be Lethal Weapon in space.

But to prove that we can't have nice things without caveats, we also get David Goyer. He's like the dayglo neon Robin action figure that comes in the 2 pack with the awesome Batman figure that you actually want, except you can't just throw him into a the storage bin.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Green Lantern Corps!

Starring Hal Jordan

And John Stewart

Written by David Goyer.

A buddy cop film is fine, but why go with the weaker Jordan/Stewart pairing, when you can sport the superior Stewart/Gardner incarnation?

Because Hal turning into Parallax then becoming The Spectre all in one film has to happen.

Q8D3vil

Fuck John stewart, the most boring mediocre lantern. I guess they need black representation if they are going with him.
I wish it was Gardner, his attitude fits better in a movie setting.

You think that DC ever actually sits back and thinks "How can we sabotage this one?"

Sometimes I don't even know. Jordan was a given, because Johns is executive producing. Goyer seems to be Warner Bros going back to what they perceive to be a proven commodity. I just don't know why.

a916

I don't understand why they cant just get the comic writers to do the scripts. Surely Geoff Johns is the best person to write the GL.

Script writing is different... besides the original story said Johns wrote the treatment. So the ideas and core story is coming from him.

A buddy cop film is fine, but why go with the weaker Jordan/Stewart pairing, when you can sport the superior Stewart/Gardner incarnation?

This was my follow-up film. Great minds think alike.

Because all the great storylines have used Jordan. Love him or hate him, a LOT of the big stuff goes through him. You can't have Sinestro without a Hal Jordan (unless you completely butcher or force something else in). Hal and John are a slam dunk in my mind. Those were the two most known Lanterns and the two they've used in the Justice League animated stuff.

Because all the great storylines have used Jordan. Love him or hate him, a LOT of the big stuff goes through him. You can't have Sinestro without a Hal Jordan (unless you completely butcher or force something else in). Hal and John are a slam dunk in my mind. Those were the two most known Lanterns and the two they've used in the Justice League animated stuff.

Not really in contention here. Like the Justice League animated show you point towards, they're pretty much going to be making up stories whole cloth. (Marvel has to do the same with Captain Marvel, by the by.) They're not particularly bound to anything in this case, Johns just has a predilection for a specific era of DC Comics and that comes through in the TV and film projects.

celljean89

Neo Member
For me, David Goyer scripts are like 50/50. 50% it will suck and a 50% it will be good. It's like a gamble with him. I like the idea, but not sure on the execution.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Bring back Mark Strong as Sinestro! Fuck it! Do it!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Honestly, Hal doesn't work in any buddy cop setting. Any personality he gets is already done better by another GLC member.

Lucky hotshot doing whatever the fuck he wants? That's Guy.

Hardened leader willing to make the tough decisions? That's John.

Overexcited newcomer in way over his head? That's Kyle.

If you wanna make the GLC movie "Lethal Weapon" in space, you gotta use Guy & John.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Maybe they landed Ryan Reynolds again. Otherwise I agree I don't see why you would recast the previous role, just use another Lantern.

Slayven

Honestly, Hal doesn't work in any buddy cop setting. Any personality he gets is already done better by another GLC member.

Lucky hotshot doing whatever the fuck he wants? That's Guy.

Hardened leader willing to make the tough decisions? That's John.

Overexcited newcomer in way over his head? That's Kyle.

If you wanna make the GLC movie "Lethal Weapon" in space, you gotta use Guy & John.
Remember when John lead the Darkstar? Nope cause they are all dead

a916

Not really in contention here. Like the Justice League animated show you point towards, they're pretty much going to be making up stories whole cloth. (Marvel has to do the same with Captain Marvel, by the by.) They're not particularly bound to anything in this case, Johns just has a predilection for a specific era of DC Comics and that comes through in the TV and film projects.

Which is partly why I have faith because it's coming from Johns.

Green Lantern Rebirth (2004) and the Sinestro Corps War were amazing. People have their opinions on him with Batman but he has a really good hold on Green Lantern.

Bring back Mark Strong as Sinestro! Fuck it! Do it!

Cheer leader effect... no thanks. Fresh start please.

inm8num2

Goyer must have photos of WB execs on the toilet. There's no other explanation, other than the possibility that nobody else was interested.

Busty

Banned
This is gonna be a total shit with Goyer.

Panic not.

Wait until they announce the director they have working on this before you declare the sky is falling.

Also worth mentioning that Goyer and Rhodes will be co-writing from a treatment that was co-developed by Johns himself.

The wheels on this film have started turning. Let's see how it pans out.

Goyer must have photos of WB execs on the toilet. There's no other explanation, other than the possibility that nobody else was interested.

Goyer and Johns have a history. Both co-wrote Justice Society of America, which was Johns' big break at DC Comics. They've also worked together on Blade: The Series.

I was under the impression that Geoff Johns was responsible for a great run of Green Lantern comics and basically reinvigorating the line?

You are correct, but his run ultimately ran out of steam, relying on similar ideas throughout, but not coming to a satisfying conclusion. This latter part is probably what that poster is referencing.

Blader

Panic not.

Wait until they announce the director they have working on this before you declare the sky is falling.

Also worth mentioning that Goyer and Rhodes will be co-writing from a treatment that was co-developed by Johns himself.

That's even worse!

a916

I was under the impression that Geoff Johns was responsible for a great run of Green Lantern comics and basically reinvigorating the line?

You believe correctly. GL Rebirth (2004 not the one from last year) is amazing.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Panic not.

I mean, Snyder is actually better than a lot of working directors technically (he has a directorial voice and MOS has a few cool action sequences that are just in the wrong movie) but his movies usually have script issues that make it hard to forgive his flaws. I think the script matters a lot in terms of regaining any faith I had in these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom