• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Lantern Corps gets David Goyer to write and produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goyer is a great idea man. He knows his comics very well. But head writer or director he is pure shit. I don't care for Green Lantern so fuck it, but if it turns out to be decent i'll be shocked.

LosDaddie

Banned
DCEU's third film introduced fucking Enchantress in a casual way - the cosmic shit is going to be ridiculous.

hmm.... you are right about that. Damn, I guess I just forgot about suicide squad for a bit. 😂

As someone already pointed out with the time travel in BvS, it does appear that WB is not afraid to go crazy

Effect

I was under the impression that Geoff Johns was responsible for a great run of Green Lantern comics and basically reinvigorating the line?

You would be correct. Johns isn't the cure all for all things DC. That has always been the wrong outlook to take. When it comes to Green Lantern though he's pretty much the man to look to. I don't think anyone really disagrees with that.

Yup like said. Man of Steel is a straight up alien invasion story. BvS has time travel, Superman tanking a nuke, potential future with Omega symbols burned into the ground with parademons, Suicide Squad has straight up magic drop into it with no trying to explain it away. It's just straight magic/supernatural (not just Enchantress but also with
Diablo
) and none of the "science so advance it seems like magic bs". Even the Oa stuff in Green Lantern was pretty good. I feel comfortable WB is going to go big and not hold back on the cosmic side of things.

Mixed on Goyer. I don't know how much he contributed to JSA but it's one of my favorite comic book runs of all time. I'm not afraid to admit I liked Blade 1/2 and he co wrote the dark knight trilogy. Man of Steel's dialogue was awful but overall I liked the story.

We'll all act like this is the worst thing ever though.

this_guy

What's Hal Jordan's characterization typically like in the comics? Is he a boring, serious guy? I liked how they portrayed him in the animated movie Justice League: War where he had a bit of conceitedness to him. He thought he could step up to Supes and Darkseid.

What's Hal Jordan's characterization typically like in the comics? Is he a boring, serious guy? I liked how they portrayed him in the animated movie Justice League: War where he had a bit of conceitedness to him. He thought he could step up to Supes and Darkseid.

He's impulsive, hot headed, emotional in comparison to the other GL's. He's kind of a dumbass and lucks out a lot. Only maybe Guy might be more cocky/hot headed.

People say he doesn't have a personality but I think that's patently false. If anything that's Stewart, who's usually reserved and tactical thinking.

Slayven

He's impulsive, hot headed, emotional in comparison to the other GL's. He's kind of a dumbass and lucks out a lot. Only maybe Guy might be more cocky/hot headed.

People say he doesn't have a personality but I think that's patently false. If anything that's Stewart, who's usually reserved and tactical thinking.

Both Jordan and Stewart have PHDs from the Barry Allen School of Blandness

He's a hotshot, reckless test pilot. Think Tom Cruise's characters in Top Gun or Days of Thunder. Angry at authority, unthinking of the consequences, but full of boundless willpower because of confidence and that general lack of thought.

The problem is everything you can do with Jordan is done better and with more charisma by Guy Gardner. Which likely means Gardner's personality will be grafted onto Jordan.

Jordan is the Green Lantern because Jordan is the Green Lantern, which isn't really the best of reasons to stick with something.

Slayven

He's a hotshot, reckless test pilot. Think Tom Cruise's characters in Top Gun or Days of Thunder. Angry at authority, unthinking of the consequences, but full of boundless willpower because of confidence and that general lack of thought.

The problem is everything you can do with Jordan is done better and with more charisma by Guy Gardner. Which likely means Gardner's personality will be grafted onto Jordan.

Jordan is the Green Lantern because Jordan is the Green Lantern, which isn't really the best of reasons to stick with something.

Best thing about NU52 was making Jordan a fratboy asshole.

Guy Gardner is an ass, but he has honor.

He will try.

David Goyer is no Shane Black and <unknown> is no Richard Donner.

The brooding buff models they'll inevitably cast as Jordan and Stewart are no Gibson and Glover either, for that matter.

99Luffy

Banned
Looking at his IMDB page, none of his work even resembles Lethal Weapon. How is this supposed to be a buddy cop movie?

Yeah I wish he was like that in all versions because he was funny as hell.

9KrV0Rt.gif

I need to see this in live-action.

firelogic

Mixed on Goyer. I don't know how much he contributed to JSA but it's one of my favorite comic book runs of all time. I'm not afraid to admit I liked Blade 1/2 and he co wrote the dark knight trilogy. Man of Steel's dialogue was awful but overall I liked the story.

We'll all act like this is the worst thing ever though.

Blade 1 and 2 are badass movies! I recently rewatched the trilogy and they still hold up today. Not 3 though. That movie is still horrible. But damn, that Blade 1 with all those cool comic book panel-like frames with Blade doing cool poses. Rated R. Norrington knocked it out of the park. Blade 2 wasn't as great as the first but still good. It oozed style.

Sterling K Brown is yet another actor who wants to play John Stewart (he recently was announced for Black Panther, too).

He joins Tyrese, DeMark Thompson, Michael Jai White, Lance Gross, D.B. Woodside, Idris Elba, and I'm sure I'm missing some, who've said they want to play John Stewart.

shoreu

Hal Jordan is an idiot

Blader

I was under the impression that Geoff Johns was responsible for a great run of Green Lantern comics and basically reinvigorating the line?

Most people think so, I'm just not much of a fan of his Hal Jordan/Silver Age circlejerks, and I think the "every color gets a Lantern!" plot ideas ran their course for me a long time ago.

Patryn

He was also involved in some fashion with the 2011 Green Lantern film (credited as a producer) as well as Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad (credited as executive producer).

Now it's entirely possible that he didn't have a ton of input on the creative side, but I still am skeptical about him being the silver bullet for the DCEU's woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom