• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
So how damaging will the boob song be for Seth Macfarlane? Seems a stupid thing to have done, especially at the Oscars.

KzU809q.gif

Even when displeased, she still manages to look stunning.

Everyone in those reaction shots looked shocked or angry. It was surely part of the act.

effe

Banned
Really didn't like Seth's joke about Quvenzhané being "too old for George Clooney in 16 years." Didn't even find him funny like at all
Lots of people are defending it. It's just wasn't something a nine year old and her relatives needed to hear.

besada

Banned
So, the gift bags for nominees this year were worth $45K. I want to go and lose.

Full list of the contents.

Edit: And while people seem to be complaining about the "adult" nature of the jokes, no one seems bothered by the fact that Wallis got a bag which contained, among other things, a pack of condoms and a bottle of Tequila.

injurai

Banned
Everyone in those reaction shots looked shocked or angry. It was surely part of the act.

probably, because she came out on stage immediately after that. Still I wasn't entertained by the song. If you can't respect the academy at least respect the viewers at home.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seth did far better than anyone in the previous years I have watched. Some of his jokes didn't land, but he was likable overall. If I have to sit through Billy Crystal ever again I may stop watching.

I'm disappointed Argo won but not really surprised. Any self fellating movie about Hollywood saving the day is bound to win something. It wasn't a bad movie, but not good enough to be considered for Best Picture.

D_prOdigy

I'm disappointed Argo won but not really surprised. Any self fellating movie about Hollywood saving the day is bound to win something. It wasn't a bad movie, but not good enough to be considered for Best Picture.

The film nobody hates is always going to win. Oscar really did rob ZDT. And probably shot it in the face.

It was an 8/10 surrounded by other 8/10 or worse movies. None of them deserved best picture all that much.

My pick would be Life of Pi if anything. Ang Lee deserved Best Director.

I'm so glad Beasts and Amour didn't win shit from the main awards. Pretentious crap that just revolves around generic Human Condition stories that have been told a trillion times is so trite and such fucking Oscar Bait.

I'm glad JLaw won best actress. She seems likable enough and Zero Dark Thirty was shit, and Jessica Chastain did nothing that resembled acting in it.

Anne Hathaway was a lock for Les Mis, that performance was just ludicrously amazing.

Christoph Waltz winning another Oscar LIKE A BOSS. Everyone in the category did a masterful job, and everyone had an Oscar already so that was cool.

I'm glad Quentin got two nods for Django, and I love the fact that his script won. Moonrise Kingdom was pretty good though.

Seth McaFarlane was fantastic. He's funny, he can sing, and haters gonna hate. The Lincoln joke was great.

dan999

Banned
Worst year in movies ever? I had only seen most of the animated movies and The Impossible. Seth was good the reactions to some of his jokes were hilarious.

I'm so glad Beasts and Amour didn't win shit from the main awards. Pretentious crap that just revolves around generic Human Condition stories that have been told a trillion times is so trite and such fucking Oscar Bait.

I doubt either film was made with the Oscars in mind. Amour is typical Haneke and Beasts is an indie flick that happened to strike a populist chord.

Fotos

It was an 8/10 surrounded by other 8/10 or worse movies. None of them deserved best picture all that much.

My pick would be Life of Pi if anything. Ang Lee deserved Best Director.

I'm glad JLaw won best actress. She seems likable enough and Zero Dark Thirty was shit, and Jessica Chastain did nothing that resembled acting in it.

Anne Hathaway was a lock for Les Mis, that performance was just ludicrously amazing.

Christoph Waltz winning another Oscar LIKE A BOSS. Everyone in the category did a masterful job, and everyone had an Oscar already so that was cool.

I'm glad Quentin got two nods for Django, and I love the fact that his script won. Moonrise Kingdom was pretty good though.

Seth McaFarlane was fantastic. He's funny, he can sing, and haters gonna hate. The Lincoln joke was great.

Yeah that was really funny

jett

D-Member
Brave isn't a bad film though, although I am one of the few who liked it.

It certainly shouldn't have won, but even so.

Brave is aggressively mediocre. Stands along Cars and Cars 2 as the worst movies Pixar has made.

qindarka

Banned
It's pretty surprising how Dreamworks Animation has only ever won once and WDAS has never won at all, in comparison to Pixar's 7 victories.

I do wonder if this will be forgotten after a while or if we will still be complaining about Brave winning years into the future.

glaurung

Regarding the drama between Brave and Ralph... They are both soul-crushingly mediocre. Neither of them deserved the award.

The academy should have a rule that if no movie deserves the award in any given year, it will not be given out.

Stet

Banned
Regarding the drama between Brave and Ralph... They are both soul-crushingly mediocre. Neither of them deserved the award.

The academy should have a rule that if no movie deserves the award in any given year, it will not be given out.

There would not have been an awards show this year.

Cheebo

Banned
Worst year in movies ever? I had only seen most of the animated movies and The Impossible. Seth was good the reactions to some of his jokes were hilarious.
How do you know that if you didn't watch them? Very few people would claim movies like Lincoln, Argo, and Zero Dark Thirty aren't at least good movies.

Brave deserved that Oscar. It's an obscenely high-quality production.

I was rooting for Life of Pi to win best picture but I knew it wasn't going to happen. Lincoln was the more obvious candidate and with Argo gaining momentum from the Golden Globes I figured Life of Pi would get shafted. Life of Pi is just such a once in a lifetime type of film, and I wished that it would be recognized as the mascot for 2012 but oh well. I think it has more longevity and hindsight appeal than any other contender, so I hope its appeal makes a re-emergence in the future.

This is the second time Ang Lee got fucked over by a dark horse action film. Both Pi and Brokeback Mountain were more substantial films than the ones they lost to, but I'll keep my bitterness to myself. Lol

_Isaac

I was rooting for Life of Pi to win best picture but I knew it wasn't going to happen. Lincoln was the more obvious candidate and with Argo gaining momentum from the Golden Globes I figured Life of Pi would get shafted. Life of Pi is just such a once in a lifetime type of film, and I wished that it would be recognized as the mascot for 2012 but oh well. I think it has more longevity and hindsight appeal than any other contender, so I hope its appeal makes a re-emergence in the future.

This is the second time Ang Lee got fucked over by a dark horse action film. Both Pi and Brokeback Mountain were more substantial films than the ones they lost to, but I'll keep my bitterness to myself. Lol

Crash was an action film?

tino

Banned

Everyone who disliked Pi said the same thing, religious over tone in the end turn them off. It was the original material's fault.

effe

Banned
Christoph Waltz: first man to ever win the Oscar two times for the same role?

I have absolutely no idea why people are riding this dude's dick. Is it because it's cool to be foreign? The most boring performance in Django aside from Foxx.

Jburton

Banned
I have absolutely no idea why people are riding this dude's dick. Is it because it's cool to be foreign? The most boring performance in Django aside from Foxx.

The dude has quality and class in abundance with a fantastic screen presence.

Makes most Hollywood actors look like Neanderthals.

glaurung

Waltz is a great actor and he deserved that award. The only horrible movie I've seen him in was that dastardly Musketeers remake and even there he raised the whole bar a bit.

Good man, I like him a lot. And it's not just because he speaks more languages than most of Hollywood combined.

jtb

Banned
Waltz was absolutely magnificent in Inglorious Basterds and he was quite great in Django too. It's not really his fault that Tarantino wrote Schultz and Landa (and probably directed Waltz too) with a lot of overlap—but I'm sure he'll give him some range-ier roles if they continue to work together. See: SLJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom