• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Champions League Final 2013/2014 |OT| Decimation is Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

noal

Banned
In gif form:

HateCR7.gif

Laboured. Beautiful. I have tears which are running down my face. This is art.

He's going to win the Golden Ball and you're going to hate it

HateIt

i actually dont care about some bs plastic awards that are handed out now a days. just the media with this constant bullshit is annoying. cr7 is not i repeat NOT the best player in the world. if he is the best football has to offer then kill the sport right now because its fukin pointless

i actually dont care about some bs plastic awards that are handed out now a days. just the media with this constant bullshit is annoying. cr7 is not i repeat NOT the best player in the world. if he is the best football has to offer then kill the sport right now because its fukin pointless

Who is then?

Who is then?

messi is still the best player in the world. he is the most complete footballer, when cr7 and messi were on the same pitch u can tell who is truly world class and who is overrated media hype job.

cr7 is pushed by the media, just like beckham was, because they want a good looking player to be the symbol of the sport.

elfinke

This thread hasn't been much fun to follow along with, for something that ought to be quite enjoyable. Last fifteen pages or so, just lol at the opinions and hyper-aggressive attitudes on display. Much like the Giantbomb thread, really, the enjoyment I derive from that thread is inversely proportional to the tremendous amount of joy I derive from the site. Oh well.

Athletico were gassed with 10 minutes still to go in the second half, despite creating all of one or two chances all game. Their pressing and defending is a sight to behold, though, when the cynical crap is left behind (something every elite club is terrible for and FIFA remain stubborn about fixing. I'll never understand it and I can't believe that coaches don't have data to show that it often isn't worth it - it could be well argued that the 5min of added time was directly related to the extra rolling and stretching, and we know how that worked out). Simeone is a strange beast, lol.

Bale remains the most curious of players, but it's hard to argue that that $100mil wasn't well spent when it wins you a match like this, even though he should have wrapped it up by midway of the second half. Benzema was totally ineffectual, and Ronnie couldn't get involved, he was pressed into the shade for much of the game. However his fitness is so much greater than almost every one of compatriots, and it paid dividends today as he came into his own during the last 35 minutes or so of normal-plus-extra time, with the customary stepovers and direct running returning to his game. Backtracking to breakdown an Athletico attack well inside his own half, before setting up an assist and reaping a soft penalty are due rewards for just hanging in there while the game is against you.

The match on a technical level was very poor (though much credit must go to AM for the pressure they applied to their more technically competent opponents forcing some errors) - notwithstanding the terrific equalising header. Many short passes went astray, lots of dreadful first touches letting down attacking movement. Even basic things like cushioned headers often missed their mark, forcing players to turn and backtrack. It was very weird to watch, and made me question getting up at 430 in the morning to watch. To think that the Champs League was almost decided by a most awful goalkeeping error, too.

Ah well, time to cook some breakky.

Khrno

And Simeone's worst mistake:

1400953691_461218_1400958113_album_grande.jpg

If it was too much risk, then it wasn't worth it even playing, Costa wasted a substitution that could have given Atletico the cup.

Baki

Bad night for football.

Not because a single Real player cost more than Atletico entire squad.

But the fact that an evil club which squeezes money out of the smaller teams leveraged their immorally acquired wealth to beat the little guy who managed to get to the finals despite all the underhanded politics of la liga.

Disgusting. Both Real and Barcelona epitomise everything wrong with modern football.

NoRéN;113306917 said:
so the ronaldo haters are out in full force i see haha my god.

Too much salt in here. Bad for my health,

I don't hate the dude because he's talented i hate that cunt because he flops too much I hate diving players in Football, whoever teaches that is pathetic loser..

I only got to see the 1st half then had to go out to dinner and could only follow on my phone. Is there a link to some video highlights? Sorry if its already been posted...

messi is still the best player in the world. he is the most complete footballer, when cr7 and messi were on the same pitch u can tell who is truly world class and who is overrated media hype job.

cr7 is pushed by the media, just like beckham was, because they want a good looking player to be the symbol of the sport.

This was difficult to read. So much nonsense here.

Oh, the mountains of salt in this thread. People making vacuous statements about morality for lack of proper arguments. The hyperbolic statements about Ronaldo being an overhyped, mediocre player or about RM being an evil corporation ala Microsoft are simply laughable. Nobody would complain about that if Atlético had won. I don't see how Ronaldo or the RM players are at fault here. They deserved to win today, because Atlético was nowhere to be seen during the second half. Congrats to both teams on a fantastic season.

ICKE

Banned
Bad night for football.

Not because a single Real player cost more than Atletico entire squad.

But the fact that an evil club which squeezes money out of the smaller teams leveraged their immorally acquired wealth to beat the little guy who managed to get to the finals despite all the underhanded politics of la liga.

Disgusting. Both Real and Barcelona epitomise everything wrong with modern football.

The answer is to not take it too seriously though. The happiest moments in football for me are those when I take a ride near my home and watch young 8-12 year old girls and boys who train in the local team and just enjoy every moment of it.

It's the same thing in every sport, the higher you go the more it's about selling a product and not about giving something substantive to the local community. People obsess over Lionel Messi who likes to earn millions while avoiding taxes etc. I have no time for those people.

88random

Well deserved. They dominated everyone in CL this season. Yes, they were lucky vs BVB, but you always need a little bit of luck. Di Maria was awesome, he is in the shadow of CR7 and Bale, but he is probably the best player in the squad.

It happens, because Real Madrid, Barcelona and other gigantic clubs control how the TV money is distributed and are able to pay exorbitant prices for players. Smaller teams try to compete in the wage market via borrowing heavily and hoping that all the pieces in the puzzle match....

Atletico is living on borrowed time, they are not going to be able to keep their best players and the banks are going to take all of the CL money that they receive this season as interest payments etc.

It just so happens that Germany has the most feasible system in place in Europe at the moment. There are various checks and balances and as a result most teams have a stable financial foundation and the fans have access to cheap ticket prices.

Jesus, that sucks. How much had AM been borrowing?

Baki

The answer is to not take it too seriously though. The happiest moments in football for me are those when I take a ride near my home and watch young 8-12 year old girls and boys who train in the local team and just enjoy every moment of it.

It's the same thing in every sport, the higher you go the more it's about selling a product and not about giving something substantive to the local community. People obsess over Lionel Messi who likes to earn millions while avoiding taxes etc. I have no time for those people.

They are sending clubs into bankruptcy.

ICKE

Banned
Jesus, that sucks. How much had AM been borrowing?

Who knows, the estimate at the moment is over 500 million euros (650-700 million $). There was also a court case a few years ago, something about Atletico not paying taxes to the tune of 200 million dollars. This team shouldn't even exist at this point - as a competitive entity in the Champions league - but what can you do. This is how the financial system operates these days, the local banks probably support them via low interest loans and eventually it'll be the normal tax payers paying the cost when the banks are about to go under...

Regardless, congratulations to Real Madrid supporters. A fully deserved win and I bet a lot of people watching the final in Portugal were happy to see Ronaldo lift the trophy.

akumacombos.com

Neo Member
Real Madrid won 4-1

This game was so f.... intense!!
Atletic scored first and very soon and for almost the entire game Real tried everything so score but only at 93m (already in compensatory time!)
Then the game went into extra time (both teams switch sides for more 15m then switch sides again for more 15m), the final 15 were devastating..!
Great game, Real won their 10th European Champions League.

Clegg

So a team won the champions league with a defender who can't defend for shit? Okay then.
When you have a midfield and forward line as good as Madrid's you can get away with having a flaky defender.

Ramos has never been great. I don't think he's even been that good either. Strong in the air but he's slow and his positioning let's him down an awful lot. That's why he's been sent off so many times. He makes lunging tackles because he was in the wrong position when the opposing attacker got the ball.

Real Madrid won 4-1

This game was so f.... intense!!
Atletic scored first and very soon and for almost the entire game Real tried everything so score but only at 93m (already in compensatory time!)
Then the game went into extra time (both teams switch sides for more 15m then switch sides again for more 15m), the final 15 were devastating..!
Great game, Real won their 10th European Champions League.

I don't understand why is your post just a summary of the game?

akaoni

Banned
Clicking through the BBC news and there's like 5 links across the site with different pictures of Bale. Couldn't make this shit up.

ankuo

Banned
When you have a midfield and forward line as good as Madrid's you can get away with having a flaky defender.

Ramos has never been great. I don't think he's even been that good either. Strong in the air but he's slow and his positioning let's him down an awful lot. That's why he's been sent off so many times. He makes lunging tackles because he was in the wrong position when the opposing attacker got the ball.

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom