• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FootballGAF 2021/2022 |OT| The battle to survive, rebuilding after disaster.

DKehoe

Football?

But this is soccer
robin-williams.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Thought 3 had requested removal of their logo off of Chelsea's shirts?

First time I've seen them play since the request, but the logo was still there.

Dark Rider

Thought 3 had requested removal of their logo off of Chelsea's shirts?

First time I've seen them play since the request, but the logo was still there.

Was the request legally binding? Even if it was not legally binding I don't think Chelsea would deny the request so maybe they are working on some agreement in the background since the club will be sold?

Nitty_Grimes

Was the request legally binding? Even if it was not legally binding I don't think Chelsea would deny the request so maybe they are working on some agreement in the background since the club will be sold?
That’s the only thing I could think of. Chelseas lawyers were like look at the contract and if you pull out you owe us all the money upfront and 3 were probably like nah that’s fine you keep the logo on the shirts.

Dark Rider

I'm uneasy about today, I hope we win.

I had a feeling it will go very bad.
Carlo lack of rotation leads to the players being dead on their feet toward the end of the season, that is the most crucial time of the season, and having some aging players compound that effect to the extreme. The sooner we go back to Zidane the better but I suspect we will keep Carlo at least until the end of the season. We might limp our way to a league title at most (we might not even in that) but that's it we are not winning UCL for sure.

I'll note that I think realistically Zidane will couch the French NT after the world cup so we will not get him back.

That’s the only thing I could think of. Chelseas lawyers were like look at the contract and if you pull out you owe us all the money upfront and 3 were probably like nah that’s fine you keep the logo on the shirts.

I think it is more like look the new owners will start off by pumping money into the club and if you try to get back on the shirt it will be much more expensive for you, Roman practically is gone so you lose everything and gain nothing and make it worse for yourself in the future on top.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Arancha Rodríguez] Nacho: "We came out relaxed due to the big advantage we have in the standings."

And every single one should face the consequences too.

[Marcia] Ancelotti: "It was my fault. I can make a mistake once. But it won't happen twice."

It was endless mistakes from start to finish Carlo not just "a mistake"

Last edited:

DKehoe

That’s a great signing. Don’t get how Barcelona went from desperately broke to signing so many players though.

Dark Rider

That’s a great signing. Don’t get how Barcelona went from desperately broke to signing so many players though.

They used some accounting tricks to pile up all their negative accounts for the current season in exchange to make better recovery starting next season, so they were not actually as broke as they presented themselves. Also the new president wanted to inflate the blame for all the financial problems on the previous president while inflating his own recovery numbers for better PR. So that is how they are able to do good deals now.

If English clubs do it it's criminal different for the Spanish

In Spain there very strict domestic laws and rules by the league (yes including salary caps and transfer bans based on the clubs financial situation) and all clubs forced to abide by them, this of course make it very hard for any club to run a foul of any UEFA rules or regulations. On the other hand in England (and Italy) the leagues there are much relaxed allowing their clubs to step further than what UEFA allow so naturally they don't have enough self restrain to not over step and when they do over step they face problems with UEFA. If you want to get less problem like the Spanish then simply adopt the Spanish rules in England.

DKehoe

55 I think? Now compare how much ManU payed for Maguire and there you have your answer.
But Barcelona struggled to make their finances work enough to be able to register him. And they’ve continued to buy more players since then. I’m not even meaning this to say anything definitive one way or the other. I just don’t get how they’re managing to make this work. I heard Dani Alves basically agreed to play for next to nothing (by footballer standards) and Traore is on a reduced wage for this season. But, as one example, I can’t imagine Aubabameyang is on a small wage even if it is significantly reduced from what he was being paid at Arsenal. Is this because of stuff like Spotify buying the naming rights for the Nou Camp?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
But Barcelona struggled to make their finances work enough to be able to register him. And they’ve continued to buy more players since then. I’m not even meaning this to say anything definitive one way or the other. I just don’t get how they’re managing to make this work. I heard Dani Alves basically agreed to play for next to nothing (by footballer standards) and Traore is on a reduced wage for this season. But, as one example, I can’t imagine Aubabameyang is on a small wage even if it is significantly reduced from what he was being paid at Arsenal. Is this because of stuff like Spotify buying the naming rights for the Nou Camp?

Its a complex math financial engineering where a "1 by 4" rule among other things come into place.
Not defending Barcelona at all (Im a Madrid fan) but certainly is complex for clubs like Madrid and Barcelona that are still owned by their fans to compete agains quasi-state nation clubs. I mean, Man City alone spent like 1 Billion dollars on its current team.

Last edited:

Labadal

If what happened in Barcelona happened to a smaller club in the league, they would be fucked. The Spanish FA is no better than any other FA from any other country.

Dark Rider

If what happened in Barcelona happened to a smaller club in the league, they would be fucked. The Spanish FA is no better than any other FA from any other country.

In terms of making sure that all clubs are within UEFA rules they are much better actually, any Spanish club will be in trouble with the league far before they get to the point where they are in trouble with UEFA, this is why Barcelona was fighting the league last transfer window instead of UEFA.

Labadal

I think our discussion will be moot in the near future if I'm reading things right. There seems to be talk of FFP disappearing.

Dark Rider

I think our discussion will be moot in the near future if I'm reading things right. There seems to be talk of FFP disappearing.

The rules and regulation in Spain will remain though and they are far stricter than UEFA rules and UEFA FFP. So in Spain nothing is getting easier.

DKehoe

Italy out of the World Cup? Commiserations to any Italians on here.

FOpW9ViWUA0BEUJ

At least it was to the mighty North Macedonia

Last edited:

Dark Rider

[Italy] Chiellini: "There is great disappointment. We played a good game, we missed the goal. I'm proud of my teammates. We are destroyed. I hope the future is still with Mr. Mancini.”

:pie_thinking:

Dark Rider

[VarskySports] IFAB has confirmed that the temporary 5-substitute rule will be kept permanently starting July 1st.

Each league can decide if they will implement it or not.

Dark Rider

[ReyCholo14]Luis Enrique:" I am not renewing my contract to do you(the press) a favour. If we crashed on the WC, you'd be like: 'Oh no, we'll have to deal with 4 more years of this'. This way if we fail, you can call for my head and I can step out as manager."

DKehoe

Messi signs $20 million deal to promote crypto fan token firm Socios

Disappointing.
I really don't get this kind of thing. Messi has more money than he or his family could ever need. I get that it's a huge amount of money for what's probably next to no work. But still at some point don't you have enough money that you only do exactly what you want and nothing can change that?

Dark Rider

I really don't get this kind of thing. Messi has more money than he or his family could ever need. I get that it's a huge amount of money for what's probably next to no work. But still at some point don't you have enough money that you only do exactly what you want and nothing can change that?

Sadly many people get to a point where they just ask two questions: will I get payed? and will it get me in court?
Some even skip the second question. And all the financial and wealth management firms just focus on these questions above anything else.

Dark Rider

Pique: "I have as much money as Espanyol's budget; I love playing at Cornella (Espanyol Stadium) and being whistled, its better than sex."

Shakira in the mud.

Nitty_Grimes

Can someone please explain why you can’t have say teams from certain areas in the same groups but England / Scotland / wales is fine?

Dark Rider

Can someone please explain why you can’t have say teams from certain areas in the same groups but England / Scotland / wales is fine?

Political tension, wars or other extreme things, That is not always the case mind you but these are among the most common reasons.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in the group stage no two nations from the same confederation allowed, that one is also common reason too.

Last edited:

Dark Rider

I'll post the World Cup draw results, I think it should be here:

Group AGroup BGroup CGroup DGroup EGroup FGroup GGroup H
Qatar England Argentina France Spain Belgium Brazil Portugal
Ecuador Iran Saudi ArabiaUAE/Australia/PeruCosta Rica/New Zealand. Canada Serbia Ghana
Senegal United States Mexico Denmark Germany Morocco Switzerland Uruguay
NetherlandsWales/Scotland/Ukraine Poland Tunisia Japan Croatia Cameroon South Korea

Top Bottom